PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Care of Campy Components

Speedi Pig
03-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Just scheduled a fitting for a Legend Ti today...I'm psyched...and want some input on my component selection. Right now, I'm planning to go with the '04 Campy Chorus group (Record is just too rich for my blood), but since I've always had been a Shimano guy, I'm not really familiar with what kind a maintenance Campy may require.

Example: My current bike has a mix of Dura-Ace and Ultegra including an Ultegra BB. I started to upgrade the BB to DA when it wore out a year ago, but stuck with Ultegra when I heard how much more high maintenance the DA BB is.

I'm pretty anal about bike maintenance...I wipe down the cables, components, and frame after EVERY ride and of course keep everything lubed up too, but I don't want to take on something that is going to require frequent, extensive (or expensive) maintenance.

The research (factual and anecdotal) seems to indicate that Campy is the way to go, and I'm excited about joing the brotherhood of Serotta and Campy, but I want to make sure that Campy is the way I want to go.

As always, thanks for the input!!

Jeff N.
03-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Go Dura Ace-10. You won't regret it. Not for a second. Jeff N.

SPOKE
03-17-2004, 08:58 PM
i have both the campy record 10sp and the new dura ace 10sp stuff and i still find that i like the campy better. by "better" i mean i believe that the derailleurs and crank are of superior quality/craftsmanship. i also like the function of the brifters a bit better, especially if you're just a bike junkie recreational rider. if i was still racing then the shimano shifters would be my choice since my small hands can easily work the shifting from the hoods or drops. getting your thumb around the campy thumb trigger just doesn't work well for me when in the drops.
just my 2 cents.

Needs Help
03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi,

First, I would make sure you like how the brake hoods of Campy Chorus fit your hands. I have Campy Chorus 8 speed that is about 7 years old, and I've only had to repair one thing. Last year, when I shifted up the cogs the chain would move back down a cog. I posted here about the problem. Some people suggested the cogs were worn out, and I thought about replacing them, but it just didn't seem like that was the problem since it developed so suddenly.

Then, someone posted and said they were almost 100% sure what the problem was because they had the same thing happen to them--a worn out part in the shifter mechanism. The person posted specific instructions to go to Branford Bike's website and order a part along with installation instructions for that part. It cost me less than $15, and it took me about 1/2 hour to install. That's the only problem I've had in 7 years with Campy Chorus, and the jewel like finish still shines brightly in the afternoon sun.

Thanks again to the person who helped me!

I've taken Shimano shifters apart before on my mountain bike, and they are(or were) designed so if you took them apart, you couldn't reassemble them. I spent two days fixing that problem, and I had to make a device/tool to help me fix it (cut to a gorilla stripping the leaves off a twig to get ants out of an anthill). That was by far my most satisfying "wrenching" experiece because my LBS said to throw the shifter away because it was impossible to fix.

The only maintenance I've done on my Campy Chorus in 7 years is to force grease into the rear hub port twice--just because I thought that might be good. I use a Finish Line bicycle grease gun(more like a grease pen). You squeeze fresh grease into one port and the old grease comes out the other port--as soon as you see fresh grease coming out the other port you're done. (I'm not sure if Campy Chorus has a rear hub grease port anymore.) And, every couple of winters, I pull the cranks and take out the bottom bracket(one piece, sealed) and put grease on it to protect it from rusting, but it always looks fine.

Larry
03-18-2004, 12:42 AM
The Campy group will indeed last for a long, long time.
The click mechanism in the shifter will wear out after a few years, but it is easily replaced by a good repairman. It may be as simple as a spring replacement.
This is a common problem. Once fixed, it works like new again.

Larry

pjm
03-18-2004, 07:50 AM
If you were asking about fishing gear I'd say definitely get the Shimano. But for that great bike, only Campy will do. By the way, this years Chorus is pretty much the same as last years Record.

Spinner
03-18-2004, 08:39 AM
i have both chorus and dura ace. shifting is clean with both, however i'd give chorus a slight edge when shifting across multiple gears with the thumb lever. chorus gives a more precise feel in this regard. shifting with the thumb does require some strength when in the drops.

chorus also has a slight edge because both brifter cables can be buried beneath bar tape. the cable out the side of the sti is not as pleasing.

in terms of breakage or weakness, i do not like shimano bottom brackets or chains. give me a phil and a sram.

Bosun
03-18-2004, 09:24 AM
I have late model Chorus on my bike (all alloy, no carbon) and I love it. It's not as buttery as my pals DA, but he is starting to have problems with it already, and he is having bigger problems convincing his wife he needs new ________ for a few hundred bucks.

I love the solid feel of the read der. slamming into gear. Very different feel from Shimano. I actaully don't like the hoods on Campy, but loved everything else.

Campy can be a bit more tempermental w/ regular adjustment needed, but it sounds like that would make you happy.

soulspinner
03-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Im a long time campy user. Have 8 speed that is several years old and no problems. Havent even redone the right shifter yet although now its on the rain bike and gets less use. I am going on my fourth season with my chorus 10 and its flawless. This season I will probably need a cassette but shifting now is great. I cant vouch for the Shimano stuff but my buddy at work who managed the lbs says he saw more of the Shimano stuff break, especially shifters. Dont know the extent of their redesign. I do know the Campy reliability my groups have had have actually exceeded my expectations. FWIW I use a Wipperman chain and have had no problems. Some have had problems with Campy chains.

Serotta PETE
03-18-2004, 10:07 AM
I have used both and prefer the Campy. Unfortunately this is subjective for both work well . CAMPY is easier to get parts for in later years.

With the quest for lightness, none of the groups (espeically levers) seen to last as long as they use to. (unless that is just a symptom of me getting older).

Decision points are (in my view)

- Which group you like the looks of the best
- Which levers feel best in your paws (Both are good)
- Shifting preference (they have a different feel and # of gears
that can be shifted at once

I find surface finish more durable on Campy. Chorus is great and no reason to go with Record unless you like its looks better and are very focused on each gram.

Good luck with your new bike. The Legend is outstanding.

PETE

Ahneida Ride
03-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Try out both Hoods. I'm a Campy Convert, but the Campy
hoods are a bit small for me. I could see why one would
opt for DA, just for the larger hoods.

Tom
03-18-2004, 01:49 PM
My bike has Chorus, it's been very good for me. Last summer I was riding along in the drops when I thought "Well shucks, I can't just shift all the time without moving my hand. When I'm in the drops I have to move my hand up." I started laughing about how the essentials become luxuries and the luxuries become essentials. What a hardship - I have to move my hand two inches to shift sometimes!

Kevan
03-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Both groups are great in their own way. You likely won't experience any undue problems with either groupo. In terms of keeping up appearances I'd say Campy holds the high card. My bike is sporting '01 Ultegra and tho it performs as good as it did day one the finish on the brake levers is showing some breakdown. Campy '04 levers are cf and you risk clearcoat chips, but from what I hear and read, that's rare. They'll hold up their looks.

Parts wear might be simlar with different results. Campy you can replace innards, Shimano whole parts. Chains and cogs wear so similarly and it depends on use and abuse, there's no significant difference.

I'm with Ahneida, try out the hood grip. The Campy's are slimmer, smaller, less bulky. To bigger guys the wear on your hands can be noticed. This and the general noise of Campy gearing swayed me towards Shimano. In hindsight, I might have worked harder to like the Campy group cause the multi-cog shifting is a nice bonus.

Spinner
03-18-2004, 02:09 PM
can be done on da and chorus

Kevan
03-18-2004, 02:26 PM
and down?

shinomaster
03-18-2004, 02:37 PM
chorus is the bomb.

Buy 03 chorus to save money??

No special care is required. I love my chorus parts!!

MartyE
03-18-2004, 03:35 PM
To second whats been said before, I have Chorus 8 speed.
The right brifter started to get a bit dodgy and shifts started
getting very imprecise. Cost about $30. to have it rebuilt, the LBS
stated that if I were running Shimano I would have had to replace
the entire unit.
For that reason alone I prefer the campy components.
Other than that I'd say its a matter of what fits your hands.

Marty

Jeff N.
03-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Good thing Campy doesn't make fishing reels. They'd undoubtedly be made out of carbon fiber, and would snap if you hooked a big one....not unlike their wonderful seatpost.
I sure miss Delta calipers too. You know...the ones where you just keep on going through the stop sign when you apply the brake? Sure looked good though, didn't they? JN

Too Tall
03-18-2004, 05:52 PM
You asked about maintenance but did not say enough about how much you ride and if you mind doing maintenance. It matters a (very) little.

At that gruppo level I swear people should just buy what they think looks best!!!

The only maintenance difference is that Campag. ERGO will require a new set of springs about every 7-10,000 miles. For some of us that is once a season or more...others years. Shimano, will run for a looong time without wearing out. How long? Got me? I put 50k on a set of DA 8 spd and put them in a box for a (future) beater bike.

The maintenance issue is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

I use both. Buy what looks best ;)

Speedi Pig
03-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the input. Too Tall, in response to your point about mileage and maintenance, I rode a little over 6,000 miles last year, and I don't mind doing some maintenance, but I leave pretty much anything moderately technical to my LBS. Taking it in a a much as 2 to 3 times a year is fine; every few weeks is not.

Example: I heard that DA 9 speed BB's require cleaning and adjustment every few hundred miles or anytime after a wet weather ride. That sounded like a bit much to me.

Thanks again!!

pjm
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/delta.html