PDA

View Full Version : Any body take chicken cartilage pills?

Mikej
10-31-2014, 09:56 AM
OT, but its supposed to help with tendon and cartilage health, so bike related?. Anybody ever try it?

rnhood
10-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Supplements like that are generally a waste of money. For cartilage issues its best to see a doctor. For tendonitis it just takes rest and recovery - which can be lengthy for some tendons. Of course a steroid shot might help with regards to pain but, steroids can also hinder the healing process. I like Ibuprofen for pain and it seems to work well for me.

If you have tendonitis real bad then seeing a doctor is probably a good move. Indeed some forms of tendonitis can be virtually debilitating at times.

If you're eating a balanced diet then take nothing. If you are running on some kind of fad diet, then a multivitamin is probably called for. But unless you factually know from a blood test that you are deficient on some vitamin or mineral or whatever, then I would not take any supplement.

ps: fixed the grammar error (thanks Rusty)

ColnagoFan
10-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Supplements like that are generally a waste of money. For cartilage issues its best to see a doctor. For tendonitis it just takes rest and recovery - which can be lengthy for some tendons. Of course a steroid shot might help with regards to pain but, steroids can also hinder the healing process. I like Ibuprofen for pain and it seems to work well for me.

If you have tendonitis real bad then seeing a doctor is probably a good move. Indeed some forms of tendonitis can be virtually debilitating at times.

If you're eating a balanced diet then take nothing. If you are running on some kind of fad diet, then a multivitamin is probably called for. But unless you factually know from a blood test that you are delinquent on some vitamin or mineral or whatever, then I would not take any supplement.

Does that mean all those "shark cartilage" or whatever pills are snake oil? I've had issues with one of my knees over the years, and people keep telling me to take those.
I eat a pretty balanced diet, though I'm not taking a multivitamin. Is that something I should look for?

MattTuck
10-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Not sure what the mechanism of action is. I am pretty sure that whatever you eat, your body breaks it down into constituent parts and then those parts are used for energy or to rebuild your tissue.

It is not as if we eat chicken fat, and then some of our fat cells are the same fat cells of the chicken that we just ate.

bobswire
10-31-2014, 10:47 AM
Not sure what the mechanism of action is. I am pretty sure that whatever you eat, your body breaks it down into constituent parts and then those parts are used for energy or to rebuild your tissue.

It is not as if we eat chicken fat, and then some of our fat cells are the same fat cells of the chicken that we just ate.

I don't know about that with all those ChickenHawks I see running around in Congress. ;)

rnhood
10-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Does that mean all those "shark cartilage" or whatever pills are snake oil? I've had issues with one of my knees over the years, and people keep telling me to take those.
I eat a pretty balanced diet, though I'm not taking a multivitamin. Is that something I should look for?

Its snake oil. Don't waste your money. Pubmed is probably your best research tool(website) for these type things, though there are others - your medical doctor included.

With regards to a multivitamin, I don't personally think they do any harm but there are some studies that refute this (see link below). Again, I would ask your doctor, as your body is incredibly efficient at making enzymes and synthesizing the amino acids that it needs. But as we age we don't process things as well, and there can be some deficiencies in certain people - vitamin D in particular.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/why-vitamins-may-be-bad-for-your-workout/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1

oldguy00
10-31-2014, 11:25 AM
X100 on it being total junk, along with 99.999% of the other 'health' supplements sold in stores.
Spend your $$ on healthy fresh food and you'll see more benefit!

CunegoFan
10-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Here are the two rules of thumb to live by:

1) If a product is made by a supplement company based in Utah then it's a scam.

2) If the product is not made by a Utah supplement company but a similar product is made by a Utah supplement company then it is still a scam.

Mikej
10-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Harvard study claims type 2 cartilage (only found in chicken sternum?) actually did work at relieving arthritis and tendon problems. Just asking if anybody used it and if they thought it works. As far as a balanced diet, those guys who start wars and borrowed 17 trillion dollars on our backs came up with that.

ColnagoFan
10-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Its snake oil. Don't waste your money. Pubmed is probably your best research tool(website) for these type things, though there are others - your medical doctor included.

With regards to a multivitamin, I don't personally think they do any harm but there are some studies that refute this (see link below). Again, I would ask your doctor, as your body is incredibly efficient at making enzymes and synthesizing the amino acids that it needs. But as we age we don't process things as well, and there can be some deficiencies in certain people - vitamin D in particular.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/why-vitamins-may-be-bad-for-your-workout/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1
Yeah, I tend to agree. I read that about the vitamin stuff. I do eat a pretty well-balanced diet, thanks to my amazing wife & her culinary skills. We eat a lot of fresh fruits & veggies, lean meats, proteins, etc.
I don't really take anything "extra," honestly. But probably due to chat with my Dr the next physical I have. Which I'm overdue for...

Louis
10-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Here are the two rules of thumb to live by:

1) If a product is made by a supplement company based in Utah then it's a scam.

2) If the product is not made by a Utah supplement company but a similar product is made by a Utah supplement company then it is still a scam.

Better watch it, Orrin Hatch is going to come looking for you...

Ralph
10-31-2014, 12:23 PM
I've never got it figured out how a bone, joint, ligament, etc suppliment makes it from your stomach to the advertised spot it's supposed to help.

Mikej
10-31-2014, 12:54 PM
I've never got it figured out how a bone, joint, ligament, etc suppliment makes it from your stomach to the advertised spot it's supposed to help.

Its amino acids, just ones we really don't ingest anymore, old school euro grandparent style like gelatin, bone broth chicken skin and gristle. Most of the glucosamine chondroitin is ground up shrimp and crustacean shells, which are also amino acids and collagen. So, just like an apple, your body knows what to do with it.

Ralph
10-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Its amino acids, just ones we really don't ingest anymore, old school euro grandparent style like gelatin, bone broth chicken skin and gristle. Most of the glucosamine chondroitin is ground up shrimp and crustacean shells, which are also amino acids and collagen. So, just like an apple, your body knows what to do with it.

Yes.....but I don't think glucosamine chondroitin works as advertised either. I asked my wife's RA Doctor about this one, he also teaches at local med school......and he just laughed and said....."well.....if you think it does, then maybe it does for you".

Mikej
10-31-2014, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Ralph;1648889]Yes.....but I don't think glucosamine chondroitin works as advertised either. I asked my wife's RA Doctor about this one, he also teaches at local med school......and he just laughed and said....."well.....if you think it does, then maybe it does for you".[/QUOTE

I think he really has to say it doesn't work. By law. And he may be on the pay role. But it may be worth trying for your wife, drugs seem to be pretty rough on the insides and have some pretty nasty side effects. And are really not that cheap. Again, I was looking for people who have actually used the type 2 collagen. I ordered some so I'll report back....

djg21
10-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Harvard study claims type 2 cartilage (only found in chicken sternum?) actually did work at relieving arthritis and tendon problems. Just asking if anybody used it and if they thought it works. As far as a balanced diet, those guys who start wars and borrowed 17 trillion dollars on our backs came up with that.

I'll bet money supplement manufacturers are banking on consumer misperceptions that taking the supplement orally would be similar to receiving Hyaluronic Acid injections, for instance Synvisc. Hylaronic Acid is extracted from rooster combs (if not manufactured recombinantly) and is used to treat osteoarthritis. There is debate as to whether Hylanoric Acid injections are effective to treat OA. I can't imagine that the supplements will do anything once digested.

josephr
10-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Yes.....but I don't think glucosamine chondroitin works as advertised either. I asked my wife's RA Doctor about this one, he also teaches at local med school......and he just laughed and said....."well.....if you think it does, then maybe it does for you".

something to be said for the placebo effect, eh? my grampa used to keep bees and my gramma would get bee stings on purpose for her arthritis/diabetes or something. Then she started taking bee pollen....

fish oil...bee pollen.....now chicken cartilage???....maybe I'll chase down a Viagara with a bowl of rhino horn soup!

Don49
10-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Whatever supplement I'm contemplating, I always google "supplement + cancer" and see what comes up.

FlashUNC
10-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Docs have warned me my elbow will get arthritic one day. I asked what I could do to stop or slow it -- supplements, etc -- and he echoed what others on the thread said.

Its all placebo.

54ny77
10-31-2014, 03:17 PM
this guy did. look what happened to him. don't be him.

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2899356-til-bt-forskud-michael-rasmussen.jpg

rustychisel
11-01-2014, 03:09 AM

If you're eating a balanced diet then take nothing. If you are running on some kind of fad diet, then a multivitamin is probably called for. But unless you factually know from a blood test that you are delinquent on some vitamin or mineral or whatever, then I would not take any supplement.

Excellent response, but then you go and jarr the senses with a word which does not belong. Rather ameliorates the argument.

Try 'deficient'. If you'd been drinking pints before you answered, ignore everthing I said.:hello:

oldpotatoe
11-01-2014, 06:15 AM
I don't know about that with all those ChickenHawks I see running around in Congress. ;)

they are eating stupid chickens...

oldguy00
11-01-2014, 06:22 AM

Exactly my thinking as well. All this crap is digested and processed like anything else. Not sure how someone thinks ground up dried cartiladge will somehow make it to your joint space and heal real cartilage.
The only way these things would have any effect is if they had an actual medical ingredient, and even in that case, it would have an effect on the whole body, not a specific joint.
All this stuff is a massive money maker, nothing more.
Buy a vitamix, eat fruits and veggies, and hope the cancer (or whatever else will eventually get us) holds off as long as possible.
:)

Mikej
11-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Boy, tough crowd. I feel a bit sceptic about pharmacutical and dr advice. If scurvy or rickets were an issue today I don't think doctors would admit vitamin c and d are the cure, but something much more medicine like, and costly. I've had very positive results with magnesium and zinc, as have several in my family. I guess I should stick to 10000$ bicycle questions, cuz those work, or at least the marketing and pros tell us they do.

oldguy00
11-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Boy, tough crowd. I feel a bit sceptic about pharmacutical and dr advice. If scurvy or rickets were an issue today I don't think doctors would admit vitamin c and d are the cure, but something much more medicine like, and costly. I've had very positive results with magnesium and zinc, as have several in my family. I guess I should stick to 10000$ bicycle questions, cuz those work, or at least the marketing and pros tell us they do.

But vitamin C and D can also be found through a normal diet.
I think regular vitamins like that can be legit, but the fact is you don't need the off the shelf stuff if you follow even a remotely OK diet, IMHO.

martl
11-01-2014, 07:21 AM
OT, but its supposed to help with tendon and cartilage health, so bike related?. Anybody ever try it?

I recon they help a lot. About as much as eating pigs brain makes you smarter

AustinHorse
11-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm normally vegetarian but I swear by a local Dominican restaurant's chicken noodle soup for when my knees are in trouble. When in Spain, the orejas tapas are your friend too. I first noticed the effect without expecting it so I'm a believer!

Mikej
11-01-2014, 08:17 PM
But vitamin C and D can also be found through a normal diet.
I think regular vitamins like that can be legit, but the fact is you don't need the off the shelf stuff if you follow even a remotely OK diet, IMHO.

Well, chicken cartilage is really bone, so it's already in my diet, just not a lot of it since I only slow cooker the chicken for soup. I remember my grand parents butchered chickens from the yard, cooked the feet with them in the pot and listened to us grand kids squeal if we got one. It really is not that far fetched to consume additional proteins in gelatin, it was common practice to make bone broth in earlier times and it was very beneficial. Heck, we even at the skin before the doctors told everybody how bad it was for you!!!

SlowPokePete
11-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Have had one series of SynVisc injections to my left knee 9 months ago, having both knees done currently. Tomorrow is injection #2 ... once a week for three consecutive.

Not sure if it works or not.

Take the glucosamine, too.

SPP

Black Dog
11-02-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm normally vegetarian but I swear by a local Dominican restaurant's chicken noodle soup for when my knees are in trouble. When in Spain, the orejas tapas are your friend too. I first noticed the effect without expecting it so I'm a believer!

This seems like a classic case of confusing correlation with causation.

cinema
11-02-2014, 10:51 AM
This seems like a classic case of confusing correlation with causation.

Maybe? I have consistently inflamed tendons in my arms and eating a couple boxes of organic raspberries from ye olde whole foods makes it disappear for a good while. I wondered why that was so I googled it and apparently they're a very effective anti inflammatory. Your body=what you consume. But I'm not saying eating poached salmon and drinking cranberry juice before taking the California bar will help you pass it with flying colors either.

Regardless of whether or not it's a placebo, my bubbe says chicken noodle soup cures the cold. If someone says she's lying I'll :bike:

jblande
11-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Regardless of whether or not it's a placebo, my bubbe says chicken noodle soup cures the cold. If someone says she's lying I'll :bike:

But does your bubbe suck the marrow out of the bones? (mine did!)

cinema
11-02-2014, 09:20 PM
But does your bubbe suck the marrow out of the bones? (mine did!)

nah! too rich for her, she says.