PDA

View Full Version : Shimano pin in KMC chain?

Shin Getter
10-30-2014, 02:55 PM
I've browsed around, but found mostly opinions. Has anybody actually tried it?

I needed to add a few links to a KMC DLC chain and I used a new Shimano connecting pin. It went in like it should and the length looked good. The link was stiff at first, but after working the links back and forth it loosened up.

Thanks!

vqdriver
10-30-2014, 02:57 PM
why not just use a quick link?

christian
10-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Yup, that's a great idea. Chances are you'll die from ebola before you bust your nuts on the stem and crack your teeth, anyway.

^^^^^
sarcasm

Shin Getter
10-30-2014, 03:11 PM
I didn't have one...but I did have a couple of the Shimano pins in my toolbox.

Ti Designs
10-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I can probably put a Honda piston in a Chevy - I have a few in my parts box. I may need to use a hammer to make the rod fit on the shaft 'cause they're not really the same, and the piston will wobble around a bit, and probably become good friends with the spark plug, but they both use 4 cylinders...

That's a long and sarcastic way of saying no. There are so few standards in the bike industry, chain pins aren't on that list.

oldpotatoe
10-30-2014, 03:29 PM
I've browsed around, but found mostly opinions. Has anybody actually tried it?

I needed to add a few links to a KMC DLC chain and I used a new Shimano connecting pin. It went in like it should and the length looked good. The link was stiff at first, but after working the links back and forth it loosened up.

Thanks!

and "I didn't have one...but I did have a couple of the Shimano pins in my toolbox."

Since the chain is NOT designed to have a pin shoved thru it's outer plates, I think it's a "bad idea"...why not use a snap link, ya know, like a KMC one?

I know it's silver and all but get a sharpie.

ultraman6970
10-30-2014, 03:34 PM
LOL

You can like add links from the same brands but mix them is like no no to me, and im one of the ones that doesnt follow the rules :p

Lets be optimistics on this one. Let us know how it goes :)

Louis
10-30-2014, 04:04 PM
FWIW (and only marginally related to the original post)

SRAM 9-spd quick-link works perfectly in a Shimano 9-spd chain.

I've been doing it for years and years. No problems at all.

Shin Getter
10-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Since the chain is NOT designed to have a pin shoved thru it's outer plates, I think it's a "bad idea"...why not use a snap link, ya know, like a KMC one?

You sure about that?

Cicli
10-30-2014, 04:14 PM
You sure about that?

No, why dont you give it a try? Report back. Afterall, i dont think its possible to bounce my junk off of your top tube.

Shin Getter
10-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Lots of bitter replies to a simple question.

Thanks for the help.

Cicli
10-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Lots of bitter replies to a simple question.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry if mine came off that way. You were advised aginst it and kept going looking for the answer you wanted. I gave you that answer. Go for it, it will be fine.
Maybe.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2014, 05:46 PM
You sure about that?

Heh...oh yeah, 17 posts.

PS: This is who you're asking:
http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/fck_content/boulder-bike-guide-vecchios.jpg

christian
10-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Has anybody actually tried it?No, we're smarter than you. Better? This time I specifically answered your question.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2014, 06:23 PM
OK. Slack for the new guy.
Most, if not all, new chains have pins that are "mushroomed" at the outer plate. Like rivets. Often, when you push a pin out, you actually get a little ring of metal around the pin on your chain tool. This is the portion of the chain pin that secures it in the outer plate. Without that, the plate can (more easily) come off...leading to broken teeth and crushed huevos.
Use a quick link.
You're welcome.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2014, 05:34 AM
You sure about that?

yes...but your chain, do what ya want.

Joachim
10-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Everyone know that the OP already used the pin....right? See the first post.

I love this thread. I should start one.... I just bought a gas barbecue and poured lighter fluid to get the flames started. The lighter fluid came out of the bottle pretty well and splashed all over the inside of the barbecue. Looks fine to me. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.darwinawards.com/

kittytrail
10-31-2014, 02:02 PM
1/ get good idea like this.

2/ implement said idea on your bike.

3/ lose some teeth, nuts and/or more.

4/ profit!

5/ share profit along surviving relatives. and lawyers.

young'uns these days... :rolleyes:

palincss
10-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Is there something special and unique about the design of a Shimano chain that makes it suitable to join it with a Shimano replacement breakaway pin?

That's a question. I've used plenty of Shimano chains in the past 20 years, but I found using the Shimano pin such a huge pain in the a$$ I only did it once or twice, eventually switching to using a Wippermann quick link with the last Shimano chain.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Is there something special and unique about the design of a Shimano chain that makes it suitable to join it with a Shimano replacement breakaway pin?

That's a question. I've used plenty of Shimano chains in the past 20 years, but I found using the Shimano pin such a huge pain in the a$$ I only did it once or twice, eventually switching to using a Wippermann quick link with the last Shimano chain.

Outer plates are hardened to take a pin, once. Bad idea to push out installed pin and push another new one in. = broken chain.

Louis
10-31-2014, 02:26 PM
IMO the reliability, convenience and ease of use of quick-links make pins obsolete.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2014, 02:35 PM
IMO the reliability, convenience and ease of use of quick-links make pins obsolete.

Agree. Why the 2 big boys, one who makes their own chains, can't be confident in a quick link when even low digit spam can do it, is beyond me.

kramnnim
10-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Outer plates are hardened to take a pin, once. Bad idea to push out installed pin and push another new one in. = broken chain.

I think he is asking why it's okay to use the pins on Shimano chains, but not with other brand chains.

If not...well, I'd like to know.

I had a Wipperman quick link break, so it's not like they are invincible...

oldpotatoe
10-31-2014, 05:29 PM
I think he is asking why it's okay to use the pins on Shimano chains, but not with other brand chains.

If not...well, I'd like to know.

I had a Wipperman quick link break, so it's not like they are invincible...

Because the outer plates are hardened and designed that way. Other chains are not.

palincss
10-31-2014, 08:23 PM

Isn't that how Shimano expects you to rejoin their chains? Or is that pin intended only for initial installation?

oldpotatoe
11-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Isn't that how Shimano expects you to rejoin their chains? Or is that pin intended only for initial installation?

Yes, but only once thru an outer plate..they do not recommend pushing out a previously installed pin, and then pushing a new pin in that set of outer plates.

2 installed pins in one chain is no big deal..3 max I think they recommend but a snap link is the best, IMHO.

Ken Robb
11-01-2014, 09:50 AM
I think my Shimano chains all came with 2 pins. I don't know if that is because they expected the chain to be broken at least twice in its life or they knew that most amateurs like me will screw up the first install and need to try again right away. :)

11-01-2014, 03:13 PM
I think my Shimano chains all came with 2 pins. I don't know if that is because they expected the chain to be broken at least twice in its life or they knew that most amateurs like me will screw up the first install and need to try again right away. :)

Yeah.

And the diameter of the pins on different chains is different. So are the holes in the side plates. Shimano pins, if I remember right, are a few thousands thinner than Campy pins. An engineer at KMC, who has made chains for practically everybody, says it's why you absolutely never want to be in a jam and splice two different chains from two different manufacturers together.

Raffy
11-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Good thing I stumbled across this thread. I snapped a KMC missing link on the road 3 weeks ago and my buddy repaired it with a spare SRAM link (regular link, not a quick link). Been riding it thinking it was ok until today. Bought a KMC quick link, Park chain breaker and all is good once again.

bjf
11-05-2014, 05:43 PM
I've had KMC quick links on a Shimano chain for years now; I have changed the quick links a few times along the way, when they get too easy to take apart. But I find it much better than trying to use the Shimano pins.

I so miss the days when you just pushed the pin out half way, took the chain off and cleaned it in kerosene, and then put it back on the bike and pushed the pin back in.