PDA

View Full Version : What bike would combine the front end of an Ottrott and the back of a Terraplane?

scottcw2
03-18-2006, 01:43 PM
First, let me re-introduce myself. My original user name is scottcw, but I lost my password and cancelled the email I registered with when I moved. So here I am again.

Having recently owned (and loved) an Ottrott and as a current owner of a Kirk Terraplane, I am looking for a bike that will combine the two.

I loved the Ottrott's front end handling and smooth ride, but the rear triangle was a tad harsh (non-ST) and could irritate my sciatica. The Kirk rear triangle is much better, but I don't care for the handling as much and my hands feel a lot more road vibration.

I am looking for a bike that would combine the two. $1200-$1400 limit for frame/fork. Some that I have considered are the IF Crown Jewel and the Hampten Cinghiale currently listed in the Classifieds. There is also a Cyfac with Columbus Airplane multi shaped tubing, Columbus carbon Carve seat stays and Columbus carbon Muscle fork that I am looking at.

Suggestions appreciated.

e-RICHIE
03-18-2006, 02:03 PM
<snipped>: I am looking for a bike that will combine the two. <cut> Suggestions appreciated.

a terrottrott?

Smiley
03-18-2006, 02:04 PM
A used Legend DKS or Hors Categorie is my only suggestion and that would be a different ride from both bikes you just described.

Tailwinds
03-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I wonder if you could have Dave build a different fork that would get you where you want to be...

Smiley
03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Tailwinds , its called a Carbon fork . I know that most custom steel frames are desired with nicely built Steel forks and I have nothing against a steel fork , I have one on my Kogswell ( Not really HIGH end steel ). For me NOTHING beats the ride of a very nice Carbon fork for road suspension and handling. Now don't get Dave Kirk and Richard Sachs all over me because of this statement but thats JUST MY OPINION . I switched from an F1 fork to a Ouzo Pro and many said the F1 road like a well made steel fork and I agree with that statement , the Ouzo Pro took the buzz out of the ride of my Hors. You maybe right a switch to a different fork = carbon maybe a good answer . This is cheaper then dumping Scotts frame.

vaxn8r
03-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Cannondale Synapse if you want a race bike.

Specialized Roubaix if you want more a century/club rider.

Ahh...but I just noted your price restriction. You might also consider a preowned Calfee.

Tailwinds
03-18-2006, 02:42 PM
the Ouzo Pro took the buzz out of the ride of my Hors. You maybe right a switch to a different fork = carbon maybe a good answer . This is cheaper then dumping Scotts frame.

I'm sure you are right, Smiley.

The only experiences I've had w/carbon forks are on my Colnago C-40 (Star fork) and my Litespeed Ultimate (Ouzo Pro). The Colnago had a nice road feel. The Litespeed does NOT. It is very, very harsh, but I'm sure that has more to do with the bike as a whole and not the carbon fork. I have much less road buzz on the Kirk w/a steel fork than on my Litespeed w/a carbon fork, but again, that's not a fair comparison.

palincss
03-18-2006, 02:56 PM
I loved the Ottrott's front end handling and smooth ride, but the rear triangle was a tad harsh (non-ST) and could irritate my sciatica. The Kirk rear triangle is much better, but I don't care for the handling as much and my hands feel a lot more road vibration.

I am looking for a bike that would combine the two. $1200-$1400 limit for frame/fork...
Suggestions appreciated.

Before you do that, I suggest you try a wider tire with less pressure in it. The identical chip-seal road that will leave my hands tingling on a 700x23 will feel perfectly fine on a 700x27 with 30-40 psi less pressure - and with a 38x650B at 50psi, you wouldn't know that road wasn't paved as smooth as glass.

Odds are you've got 700x23s, and a set of 700x25s and correspondingly less tire pressure might well solve your issue - and you'd have to work hard to find a set that would set you back much more than a hundred bucks. Worst case, you try them for 100 miles and don't like them, you could easily sell them.

e-RICHIE
03-18-2006, 03:07 PM
For me NOTHING beats the ride of a very nice Carbon fork for road suspension and handling. Now don't get Dave Kirk and Richard Sachs all over me because of this statement but thats JUST MY OPINION .

we're giving you the weekend off.

Sandy
03-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Buy an Ottrott (non ST). Buy a Terraplane Kirk. Cut each bike in half. Using couplers, adjoin the two halves (front half of the Ottrott, and the rear half of the Kirk). Presto, you have what you want. Then claim bankruptcy. :rolleyes: :)

Simple Serotta Sandy

e-RICHIE
03-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Buy an Ottrott (non ST). Buy a Terraplane Kirk. Cut each bike in half. Using couplers, adjoin the two halves (front half of the Ottrott, and the rear half of the Kirk. Prest, you have what you want.

an ottroplane?

Jeff N.
03-18-2006, 03:37 PM
a terrottrott?Ottroplane?

e-RICHIE
03-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Ottroplane?

heh?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=184951&postcount=11

scottcw2
03-18-2006, 05:25 PM
So, to get back on track... would the Cyfac be a good choice? It is my size and a great price.

Brian Smith
03-18-2006, 06:56 PM

Sacha White
03-18-2006, 07:30 PM

dude, there is room for atleast 3 more curves in there. What a bunch of slackers. :beer:

-Sacha

Larry
03-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Terraplane with an F3 Fork.

Climb01742
03-19-2006, 04:29 AM
as was suggested, you might test ride a specialized roubaix. it's often labelled a "comfort" bike but it's origins were to deal with it's namesake conditions. new, they aren't terribly costly; and used, ebay has 'em. just a thought.

Sandy
03-19-2006, 05:48 AM
I think that a different approach shoud be taken. Can you reasonably expect anyone to be able to suggest any bike that would give you what you want? The choice would be marginal at best and would probably be disappointing to you. You would spend the money and where would you be??

You have a Kirk that has precisely the rear end that you like. The bike is a custom bike designed for you. Work with what you have. I would call Dave Kirk and explain exactly what you have stated within this thread. Ask him what suggestions he has. Remember that Dave worked at Serotta and certainly must have insight into what makes Serottas work so well. Perhaps a different fork, or different wheels, different psi or width of tires. Perhaps a subtle change in stem length or handlebar,... A combination of the above..

I truly believe that the first step (and probably last) is to talk to the person who designed and built you the bike. He is most knowledge and is most willing to help anyone. That would obviously apply to you, as the buyer of one of his bikes.

Bottom line- Go to the source. Go to the person who built you the bike.

Sandy

djg
03-19-2006, 07:37 AM
So, to get back on track... would the Cyfac be a good choice? It is my size and a great price.

Well, it might or might not handle the way you expect. I have nothing against the Cyfac, but it's hard to imagine that this large-tubed aluminum race bike is going to provide any more of a cushion for you than what you have.

There was a perfectly good suggestion about trying different tires and pressures a couple of posts up.

ericspin
03-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Sandy is right. Why not get in touch with DK? Who could possibly understand the characteristics of his frame and fork better than he? I found him to be great to work with and I am sure he would want you to be happy with your frame and fork. I also agree with the comments about tires and pressure. I use only 700x25 Michelins at about 85 psi and love 'em. That being said I haven't ridden anything but a carbon fork for years. We'll see what the DK steel fork does for me as I am building my Kirk this weekend (if I can quit watching March Madness).

slowgoing
03-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Serotta or DK or Tom Kellogg could give you exactly what you want.

Rover-Rich
03-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Scottcw2, I am no expert by any means, but in my personal experience, you can get rid of the road buzz through tires / wheels. Try this, swap the tires/wheels in between the Ottrott and Kirk and see what happens. Is there a noticable difference between the two?

I think it has be stated that if you get wider tires, the road buzz will disappear- my steel forked tandem with 27mm clinchers has ZERO buzz even with 300+lbs of load, my race bike with 21mm Tufo's and carbon fork has more buzz, albeit small amounts.

My suggestion, try tires first and save your money! Now if you gots you an itch for a new bike and have some cash to burn.... then that is another story, how about a Hampsten Strada Biachi Ti with fat Rolly Polly tires for the ultimate plush, no buzz ride? Just my $0.02. :beer:

e-RICHIE
03-19-2006, 10:16 AM
<snipped>Having recently owned (and loved) an Ottrott and as a current owner of a Kirk Terraplane, I am looking for a bike that will combine the two.<cut> I loved the Ottrott's front end handling and smooth ride, but the rear triangle was a tad harsh (non-ST) and could irritate my sciatica. The Kirk rear triangle is much better, but I don't care for the handling as much and my hands feel a lot more road vibration.<cut>

were these made for you or bought from an lbs?

scottcw2
03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
were these made for you or bought from an lbs?

The Ottrott was bought from Serotta's demo deals. It was a stock 58, which fits me perfectly.

The Kirk was bought from and built for Dave Thompson. Although it fits me fine, it was built for his requirements, riding style, skill level, etc., not mine.

e-RICHIE
03-19-2006, 10:59 AM
The Ottrott was bought from Serotta's demo deals. It was a stock 58, which fits me perfectly.

The Kirk was bought from and built for Dave Thompson. Although it fits me fine, it was built for his requirements, riding style, skill level, etc., not mine.

he just bought an used RS frame that measures 62.5cm c-t.
that's a different zip code than a 58cm, assuming we're not
talking "compact".

scottcw2
03-19-2006, 11:58 AM
he just bought an used RS frame that measures 62.5cm c-t.
that's a different zip code than a 58cm, assuming we're not
talking "compact".

The Ottrott was 58 ST and 57.5 TT, the Terraplane is 59.5 ST and 59 TT.

scottcw2
03-19-2006, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=djg]Well, it might or might not handle the way you expect. I have nothing against the Cyfac, but it's hard to imagine that this large-tubed aluminum race bike is going to provide any more of a cushion for you than what you have.[QUOTE]

I am thinking that the carbon seat stays and the carbon fork would provide the front end and back end ride that I am looking for.

e-RICHIE
03-19-2006, 12:46 PM
The Ottrott was 58 ST and 57.5 TT, the Terraplane is 59.5 ST and 59 TT.

that's what i was trying to discern.
his new purchase is 3cm taller than the
one you bought from him. maybe it's
a size issue and not a frame issue?