PDA

View Full Version : Now I'll need a bike rack...

SZWONDERS
10-30-2014, 08:15 AM
I'll actually need two bike racks.

The main one Ill need is for our mini van. We are a family of five. I would love to just be able to attach something to a hitch and be done with it. We use a cargo carrier on the roof on extended trips.

I would also like to be able to just take my with my car when I go exploring away from home on day rides. Its a sedan and if possible i would like to just do some sort of a trunk attached system as opposed to a roof rack.

I am as always open to any suggestions.

Thanks you.

miksibis
10-30-2014, 09:19 AM
it won't carry 5 but the heavy duty model with extensions from "1up usa" will carry 4 and can be broken down to carry 2 when not needed. it's is aluminum, solid and made in usa. I've been impressed for a hitch mount.

mike

miksibis
10-30-2014, 09:22 AM
http://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

cderalow
10-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I've got a Thule hitch mount made for 4 bikes that I've managed to get 5 onto (including three little kids bikes with training wheels). adult sized/hybrid/MTB or road bikes would be easier to get 5 on.

RE: the sedan.... all of the trunk racks seem the same to me. I normally just fold my rear seat down and roll the bike into the trunk rear wheel first.

SpeedyChix
10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
We're really enjoying the 1-up rack on our van and car. Can add / remove units to hold more bikes. Expensive but solid and secure. Easy to load. Even have had the fendered bikes in it.

vqdriver
10-30-2014, 05:24 PM
i'm in the same spot. i only really 'need' a full hitch rack for family trips but a single carrier would be really nice for solo trips to destination rides or to the trails. we have a 2" hitch on the minivan and i'm now considering a 1.25" for my sedan. less obtrusive and most sedans aren't rated for a 2" anyway. a 1up for the solo would be super but yeah, it's expensive for sure. a 1.25" hitch rack may be convenient if you find yourself frequently driving to rides. i've had a trunk rack in the past and i was never a 100% confident in the attachment, not to mention the concern everytime i braked hard and could see the bike swinging back there.....

also, if your kids ride smaller bikes (12" 16" wheels, etc.) most tray racks won't accomodate them.

Mikej
10-30-2014, 05:59 PM
T2 for me. I don't care for the 1 up, I know people love them, but the connecting of additional mounts makes for a shaky rack when you get up to 4. That's my opinion. Also t2 racks maybe easily sourced on Craig's list. I know they shake too, but price for function it can't be beat.