PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for apps to track cycling mileage?

dawgie
10-30-2014, 07:09 AM
The website that I have been using for years to track cycling rides, mycyclinglog.com, has been going downhill for a while. The owner/developer does not appear to be maintaining the site any more or with any regularity. Earlier this summer, the site went down for about a week before it was fixed. More recently it has quit tracking rides by "tags," which is how I track my commuting mileage.

Can anyone recommend any good apps for tracking cycling mileage? An app that would track other kinds of exercise would be even better. I am not looking for a GPS style app such as Strava or Cyclemeter that tracks miles while you are riding. My cycle computer handles that just fine. I am just looking for a basic app that will allow me to easily track my exercise each day by type, miles, time, average speed, etc.

I have tried using another website, bikejournal.com, but it restricts the number of fields you can use -- by their selection -- so I cannot use it to track commuting miles unless I pay for premium membership. I might not be opposed to paying for membership if I could actually use the site for a while to see how it works, but I'm reluctant to pay $20 for a tracking site that may or may not work well.

Anarchist
10-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Excel works really well.

ceolwulf
10-30-2014, 07:15 AM
You can manually enter rides to Strava. Also can tell it whether it's a commute or not. I think it would work for you.

If you want to track other exercises as well Runkeeper is really good. It's also GPS based but same as Strava you can enter workouts manually.

dawgie
10-30-2014, 07:28 AM
The site I've been using, mycyclinglog.com, was developed before there were any apps or before they were widely use. It is website based, however, and I can access the site through my iPhone or iPad, but it is not an app. I would prefer a tracker that has an app as well as website, so I can use it on my desktop computer as well as phone or tablet.

I have had apps with Strava and Endomondo in the past but didn't keep them because they seemed to be data/battery hogs. I also found that the GPS trackers on these apps consistently under-report mileage compared to my cycle computers. However, I hadn't considered using those apps to manually enter and track exercise, and wasn't aware you could use them for that.

Tony T
10-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Not a phone App, but Sigma has an App:
http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/?gesamt=1&position=1
(Need to purchase a docking station to plug the cyclometer into the computer)

cdn_bacon
10-30-2014, 08:09 AM
It's free. easy to use. can add friends to see what they've done. Post messages.

nice app.

ceolwulf
10-30-2014, 08:15 AM
I have had apps with Strava and Endomondo in the past but didn't keep them because they seemed to be data/battery hogs. I also found that the GPS trackers on these apps consistently under-report mileage compared to my cycle computers. However, I hadn't considered using those apps to manually enter and track exercise, and wasn't aware you could use them for that.

Just to be clear, the manual entry on Strava or Runkeeper is on the websites only.

jimoots
10-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Just to be clear, the manual entry on Strava or Runkeeper is on the websites only.

You can enter rides manually via the Strava app

sandyrs
10-30-2014, 08:44 AM

At least on the iPhone you can add a manual entry from the Feed menu. There is a + at the top left of the menu.

ceolwulf
10-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Ok you're right, missed that.

shovelhd
10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
What are you using to gather the data?

I use Golden Cheetah. It gives me the analytics I need. It can handle activities other than cycling.

HenryA
10-30-2014, 10:22 AM
An old fashioned wall calendar hanging right over or beside your bike. Write on it with a pencil or a pen, as you see fit.

A cycling themed calendar would be preferred by most, but mountainous landscapes or scantily clad wimmens might be within the acceptable range to males in general.

biker72
10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Excel works really well.

Yes it does. Been using Excel for years....:)

druptight
10-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Yes it does. Been using Excel for years....:)

If you want to be able to access it from your phone and desktop, you could use a google spreadsheet - if that's your hangup on excel.

Ti Designs
10-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Why?

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass by asking such difficult questions, but I'm interested in knowing about the data people collect and what conclusions they come to about it.

For my own answer, I would suggest knowing what time you started a ride, what time you ended, how much stopped time there was, and what intensity you were riding. From there you can probably guess within say 10% accuracy, how far you went. More to the point, you've also collected data about time on the bike and riding intensity.

Tony T
10-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Why?
Sorry to be such a pain in the ass by asking such difficult questions, but I'm interested in knowing about the data people collect and what conclusions they come to about it.

In Excel I record miles and time after each ride:
From this data, I collect total miles, average speed, and calories burned. I summarize by week and by month with a comparison to prior years.

The summary template looks like this:

weisan
10-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Check out Endomondo.
Offer other sports tracking as well.
Use GPS.
Don't have to be online to use app.
Android and iOS.

Lastly... Free!

nublar
10-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Why?

For my own answer, I would suggest knowing what time you started a ride, what time you ended, how much stopped time there was, and what intensity you were riding. From there you can probably guess within say 10% accuracy, how far you went. More to the point, you've also collected data about time on the bike and riding intensity.

You can link strava to here for free:
http://veloviewer.com/

Then you'll have all of the data you'll ever want.

biker72
10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
If you want to be able to access it from your phone and desktop, you could use a google spreadsheet - if that's your hangup on excel.

My Excel spreadsheet is on Google Drive. I can access it from phone, tablet or PC.

weisan
10-31-2014, 06:09 AM
Check out Endomondo.
Offer other sports tracking as well.
Use GPS.
Don't have to be online to use app.
Android and iOS.

Lastly... Free!Good morning pals,
It looks like Amazon is offering FREE download of The PRO version of the Endomondo app for a very limited time only. Before, you need to pay for the upgrade. There are additional features that come with the paid version, not sure the details but just know that you can download it free if you wish to give it a try. You must have an Amazon account to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Endomondo-Sports-Tracker-PRO/dp/B00OOYVBQ0?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=0ec294c108f64fa3b509419fc5763479

Act fast!

weisan

regularguy412
10-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Since I purchased my last Polar HRM, I've been using polarpersonaltrainer.com . If you use the W.I.N.D transmitter, the unit will automatically upload the info to the site via a USB antenna connected to your computer. No wires and no manual keying.

The unit i use is the RCX5B.

Alternatively, you can use the site without any HR data. Just set up an account and put in the miles manually.

Mike in AR:beer: