PDA

View Full Version : Nearly toast!

Rover-Rich
03-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Guys almost bit the big one this am! I was at about mile 16 of a 40miler. At this point in the ride, I need to cut through a gas station to get across a 4 lane divided highway. I am very PARANOID around this area as the intersection is very busy with semi-trailer truck traffic, even at 6:30am when I'm usually there. Anyhow, i was riding very slowly though the gas station, when I hear an engine reving and then see a car coming BACKWARDS from the gas pump aiming directly at me! I couldn't see the driver's eyes in the rearview mirrors, so I know she didn't see me. Well, I tried to make a quick turn to try to get out of the way, but going too slow, I lost balance and fell to my right. Thank GOD the driver turned her head around just in time to see me go down and she slammed on the brakes stoping about 2 ft from me. Boy was I shaken, I got up and got out of there as fast as I could. The lady never even acknowledge me, said she was sorry or even gave a "wave".

After I got out of there, I became more angry, but now I'm just thankful that I can see my kids and wife one more day.

Bottom line, I gotta be even more careful around cars. Thanks for listening, just needed to vent a little. :beer:

Kevin
03-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I am glad that you are ok.

Kevin

Kevan
03-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Never heard of it. Glad you didn't start a trend.

rePhil
03-18-2006, 12:22 PM
RR,
Glad you are OK! Constant vigilance is required.

I was at the end of my morning ride and kept catching up to another rider, selfishly I wanted to ride alone so everytime I got close I would back off even intentionally catching lights. I was pretty close to him crossing a major intersection under green when I saw a car in the corner of my eye. I instinctively yelled "left" and he saw the car at the very last second. I never saw who was driving the car that somehow managed to cross five lanes of two direction travel lanes. He avoided the car by inches by locking up his brakes and turning sharp . As we looked at each other he extended his hand, and knew he had cheated death.

William
03-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Glad you both came out ok.

Be careful out there folks.

William

Tailwinds
03-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Today was my 3rd ride on the new Kirk, and just as I was crossing the street to get back to my car, a motorist was across the street and started to turn to his right (away from me) so I proceeded across the road. About the time I was in the middle of the road, he changed his mind and started to turn to his left. His head was completely turned to his right and he NEVER looked at me. I screamed and waved and managed to just barely get out of the way. He just had a lost look on his face when he finally noticed me... no concern at all. It was deja vu for sure. I haven't really been freaked out since I was hit in Sep., but this freaked me out. :butt:

Serpico
03-18-2006, 04:47 PM
nothing against cars, but roads and highways seem like the modern arena for human stupidity--if someone's a dumbass, you're gonna find out real quick when they get behind the wheel

neverraced
03-18-2006, 05:10 PM
...but cutting through gas stations to avoid intersections is probably illegal in Illinois. $100.00 says she was on the phone.

Rover-Rich
03-18-2006, 05:45 PM
...but cutting through gas stations to avoid intersections is probably illegal in Illinois. $100.00 says she was on the phone.

Actually I was surprised that she wasn't. I think she was in a major hurry or something. And you're probably right about the illegal part, but I'll take my chances as to get across that intersection, trucks make a sharp right hand turn and usually cut the corner/me short.