PDA

View Full Version : Bar Harbor info

nighthawk
10-29-2014, 05:51 PM
I'll be in Bar Harbor, ME for three days for some work related training mid-November. I'm imagining the riding is limited, but does anyone have any suggestions for roads or routes? Also restaurant and bar recommendations are always welcome.

Thanks in advance!

nighthawk
10-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Also should have asked: Road or gravel bike?

MattTuck
10-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Not sure what is open at this point of the year. But check out Rosalie's for pizza.

As for riding, it should be quiet up there. Park loop road and mt. cadillac should be great. park loop road is a one way loop (a lot of it along the coast) that is about 20 miles long. You can peel off from the loop to climb cadillac at the beginning, end or middle, depending on where you start the loop road.

you could do laps of the loop. that is probably what I'd do, just so you're close to bar harbor if anything happens. There are some more remote places on the island that you could ride to, but again, if it is just you, not sure how many people would be there this time of year.

look at the carriage roads for gravel road/trail riding. :) have fun!

PS. I got extremely drunk once, drinking at carmen verandah's. I cannot go back to that place.

nighthawk
10-29-2014, 06:06 PM
PS. I got extremely drunk once, drinking at carmen verandah's. I cannot go back to that place.

This is exactly the kind of info I was after. :)

Thanks, Matt. You've already made it sound better than I was expecting. Mountains and carriage roads?! I was going to bring the Peg, but leaning toward my Roberts Audax now. I'm pretty self-sufficient so not too worried about where I end up. Just hoping for some good roads to explore. I should have two half days to go wherever I want, and getting some riding in is my only agenda.

Cheers!

IFRider
10-29-2014, 06:19 PM
This is exactly the kind of info I was after. :)

I was going to bring the Peg, but leaning toward my Roberts Audax now. I'm pretty self-sufficient so not too worried about where I end up. Just hoping for some good roads to explore. I should have two half days to go wherever I want, and getting some riding in is my only agenda.

Cheers!

Bring the Audex. The riding on the carriage roads is spectacular although you will be well past foliage. Ride Cadillac mtn for sure. We did for sunrise and it is a lovely ride. At this time, the island is dead. You will have it all to yourself. I doubt it will be open, but check out the Art Deco Movie Theater in town. Very grand and vintage '20s that never got run down so was never restored as I understand.

Many years ago, I had a week off between jobs and the wife and I went B&B for the first time. Some place in Seal Harbor and when we arrived the husband and wife were beyond drunk. They put us in their sons room which had not changed since he left for college in the early '70s and we beat a path out of town the next morning. This is before tripadvisor and such ...

Enjoy ...

Admiral Ackbar
10-29-2014, 06:26 PM
road bike for sure!

pedal over to the acadia and ride the loop road and the climb to cadillac mtn (about 30mi combined) then explore some of the carriage path if you're up to it. the park itself is fantastically fun to ride. I've been a few times and always end up doing a few laps around the main loop. the one way, two lane setup is great fun, no worries about traffic even in the middle of summer

moose8
10-29-2014, 06:49 PM
The park loop is awesome - you'll be glad you brought your bike. You might also get some ideas here too: http://cadillacchallengecentury.com/ride_details.html

And be aware there are lots of soft shoulders in that part of maine so be careful with how close to the edge of lane you get. The roads are generally pretty good though.

sandyrs
10-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Ha, I've looked into going there specifically *for* cycling. The carriage roads sound like a dream to me.

FL_MarkD
10-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Side Street Cafe for Lobster Stew or the decadent Mac and Cheese topped with Lobster.

nighthawk
10-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Ha, I've looked into going there specifically *for* cycling. The carriage roads sound like a dream to me.

Are you busy 11/11 or 11/13?

rounder
10-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Park loop ride and Cadillac Mountain for sure. Also, go to Jordan Pond for popovers. I think I read that that Jordan Pond has the cleanest drinking water in Maine. Maybe check out Schoodic Point. Bar Harbor is nice but is super touristy...lots of t-shirt places. Maybe check out some of the other nearby places like Northeast Harbor, Sommes Sound, etc.

We were there last October the day after the Federal Government reopened the national parks...there was no one there and it was beautiful. It should be like that in November.

sandyrs
10-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Are you busy 11/11 or 11/13?

Regrettably I have work and Acadia is five hours away... One day!

nighthawk
10-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I worked one summer on the Schoodic peninsula... So I'm familiar with the area. My work training is actually at the NPS facility. My main goal in my down time is to ride as much of the island as possible. Hoping the weather is in my favor, bringing rain gear just in case.

VTCaraco
10-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I've done the carriage roads plenty as well as lots of island roads.
My experience has been outstanding.
I LOVE riding around the whole island. Admittedly it was summer riding, but I'd head out first thing in the morning and pick a side or ride the whole thing.
I've done the west side hitting a mix of Rt. 102 and some of the smaller roads that head out to the coast a bit more. And I've done the same thing on the east side with Rt. 3.
My wife is heading up with her 5th/6th grade class (actually, the tip just above Acadia). Here's hoping she gets good weather, too.

majorpat
10-29-2014, 07:37 PM
All the above are good suggestions. Wife and I stayed at the Black Friar Inn, great little pub.

http://www.blackfriarinn.com/

Louis
10-29-2014, 07:54 PM
If you're into browsing bookstores you have to check out Big Chicken Barn Books in Ellsworth. (check to verify that it's open in Nov)

http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/ff/cc/9a/ffcc9a20c4b9005357f6ffcfbb42de1d.jpg

nighthawk
10-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Louis. That is right up my alley.

nighthawk
10-29-2014, 08:01 PM
All the above are good suggestions. Wife and I stayed at the Black Friar Inn, great little pub.

http://www.blackfriarinn.com/

I'm liking the sounds of that pub,Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check my reservation and see what part of the island I'm staying.

roydyates
10-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Park loop ride and Cadillac Mountain for sure. Also, go to Jordan Pond for popovers. I think I read that that Jordan Pond has the cleanest drinking water in Maine. Maybe check out Schoodic Point. Bar Harbor is nice but is super touristy...lots of t-shirt places. Maybe check out some of the other nearby places like Northeast Harbor, Sommes Sound, etc.

We were there last October the day after the Federal Government reopened the national parks...there was no one there and it was beautiful. It should be like that in November.

+1 on the popovers, even though it may be too chilly to eat out on the lawn. I've never been in November, but like others have noted, it probably will not be so touristy. However, Schoodic is still an interesting suggestion. I had a ride oround Schoodic on my summer to-do list. Unfortunately I didn't get there this summer.

miguel
10-29-2014, 09:03 PM
I was in bah hahbah this last July. Bring the gravel bike.

http:/tumblr.com/post/91877181743/next-time-im-bringing-a-bike

I can't embed the photo.

There are more photos on my tumblr page. I would recommend 28mm+ tires. Lobstah was $14/lb while I was there.

daker13
10-30-2014, 07:45 AM
And be aware there are lots of soft shoulders in that part of maine so be careful with how close to the edge of lane you get. The roads are generally pretty good though.

The riding's good in the park, and out of it too, but I'd echo this: there were hardly any shoulders on many roads on Mt. Desert Island, and the roads (at least when I was there) were pretty chewed up from a hard winter. Nice riding, though.

nighthawk
10-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the great advice so far. I'm going to sit down with some maps and ridewithgps this weekend and try to plan some routes. This'll all be a big help.

Cheers!

Ti Designs
10-30-2014, 11:08 AM
The best part of Acadia is how much there is in such a small space. I have no sense of direction at all, and I'm map retarded - seriously, what's on the map doesn't relate to what's around me. My only vacation is Acadia, it's too small to get lost, yet you can't do everything it has to offer in a week - trust me, I tried. There are a number of books worth reading, A Walk in the Park is probably the best hiking guide. For the carriage trails there's a book about the building of the stone bridges which I think tells you more about the area than any trail guide. There's also the first sunrise on the east coast to be seen at the summit of Cadillac mountain - you might want to bring something warm and windproof. From there it's all down hill to Jordan's pancake house. I you want a challenge, and you want your pancakes shortly after sunrise, try to beat the small army of touring motorcycles to Bar Harbor. We hit 70 on the tandem trying to outrun them - good thing there are no deer around there to wonder out in the road...

Admiral Ackbar
10-30-2014, 12:06 PM
lol! i got my doors blown off by a (VERY SKILLED) couple on a tandem on the loop road and cadillac mtn descent last year. i was blown away how fast they were. it was like they were on an e-assist bike ... but they weren't.

NHAero
10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
It's been a few years, but I worked on some buildings at the College of the Atlantic so we were up in BH at all times of year. When it was open we always had breakfast at Two Cats. Fresh squeezed juices, decent coffee, great omelettes and pancakes, etc.