PDA

View Full Version : Huntsville AL, Paceliners

gmcampy
10-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Traveling to Huntsville on 11/2 for a week. Bringing bike to do some evening road rides. Most routes I saw on Ride with GPS were a bit long and I got no feedback from lbs rides I contacted. Anyone have any suggestions for 20-30 mile routes and or LBS info?

Thanks
Glenn

Ken Robb
10-28-2014, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't ride around Huntsville (or many other places) after dark and daylight saving ends this Sunday.

wallymann
10-28-2014, 04:27 PM
huntsville is on the far eastern edge of central-time, so itll be dark *early* after this weekend.

unless you can get out @ lunchtime, after hours is not promising.

what are you doing there, something @ redstone?

gmcampy
10-28-2014, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't ride around Huntsville (or many other places) after dark and daylight saving ends this Sunday.
Whats special about riding at night in Huntsville? We do it all the time in the winter, their called lights, LOL.

gmcampy
10-28-2014, 04:32 PM
huntsville is on the far eastern edge of central-time, so itll be dark *early* after this weekend.

unless you can get out @ lunchtime, after hours is not promising.

what are you doing there, something @ redstone?
USACE Prospect training at the University.....

Ken Robb
10-28-2014, 04:53 PM
I can think of some nice areas to ride during daylight but you will have to tell me about good places to ride after dark. Keep in mind that I am recovering from a bad motorcycle crash and was also hit by a car on my bike 3 months before that so I have learned what real pain/near death feels like therefore my idea of a good ride is probably different from yours. On my last visit I was sad to see Bankhead Parkway is closed because that was a great road to ride.

wallymann
10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
USACE Prospect training at the University.....

sweet. i spent some time working with the AMCOM leadership on aviation logistics a few years back...those dudes waste many-many millions of our tax-dollars every year using prehistoric methods...need all the help they can get!

Ken Robb
10-28-2014, 08:25 PM
So we are considering HSV, AL. and not Texas, right?

josephr
10-28-2014, 08:52 PM
I'd check in with the Spring City Cycling Club as its a pretty active group. I've not ridden up in that direction other than their annual century ride. However, if you choose to follow part of that loop, there's a 2.5 mile climb followed by a 3 mile descent that is completely worth the effort. Also, drop a note to paceliner 'malcolm' as he lives closer to there...although I think he's mostly a mtn biker. If you mtn bike, highly recommend Monte Sano State Park.,

If you come down to Birmingham area, drop me a PM and there's a lot of good group rides around here.
Joe

gmcampy
10-29-2014, 06:18 AM
So we are considering HSV, AL. and not Texas, right?

Correct

gmcampy
10-29-2014, 06:20 AM
I'd check in with the Spring City Cycling Club as its a pretty active group. I've not ridden up in that direction other than their annual century ride. However, if you choose to follow part of that loop, there's a 2.5 mile climb followed by a 3 mile descent that is completely worth the effort. Also, drop a note to paceliner 'malcolm' as he lives closer to there...although I think he's mostly a mtn biker. If you mtn bike, highly recommend Monte Sano State Park.,

If you come down to Birmingham area, drop me a PM and there's a lot of good group rides around here.
Joe

Thanks, I rode in Birmingham last year when we were at Barber for the GA race, great roads and climbs.

gmcampy
10-29-2014, 06:24 AM
I can think of some nice areas to ride during daylight but you will have to tell me about good places to ride after dark. Keep in mind that I am recovering from a bad motorcycle crash and was also hit by a car on my bike 3 months before that so I have learned what real pain/near death feels like therefore my idea of a good ride is probably different from yours. On my last visit I was sad to see Bankhead Parkway is closed because that was a great road to ride.

Sorry for your bad experience. I generally prefer to ride in the dark with a group of 2 or more, thus the request to find some ride buddies in AL. My experience is that the CRAZY lights spook drivers to the point they give you plenty of room.