PDA

View Full Version : Austin TX dirt/gravel riding?

p nut
10-27-2014, 11:12 PM
I may be visiting my brother in the next couple of months in Austin. Any info on some good road/dirt rides would be appreciated. I will either take my roadie with 26mm tires or cross bike with 32mm Pasela's. The area I will be in is in Cedar Park.

weisan
10-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Nut-pal, I live a stone throw away from cedar park, Leander to be precise, we should connect while you are here. I will take you on my regular route. It's getting late, I will follow up with a longer PM tomorrow.
But just briefly, for dirt/gravel, two places came to mind...Brushy Creek and Town Lake Trail.
The first is very close and it's connected to a nice paved dedicated bike path that goes about 10 miles. The second is further away in downtown Austin but you can hop on the metrorail and get there with the bike, it would be a nice train ride about an hour, try to go during non-rush hour (after 10). I work downtown, can meet you during lunch and ride the town lake loop (10 miles), in fact, I do that with my coworkers at least three times a week.

Ok. Check your pm sometime tomorrow.

joosttx
10-28-2014, 04:47 AM
Awesome dirt roads around Cypress Mill, Tx. Just check out a map and plan a route. You really cannot go wrong.

tiretrax
10-28-2014, 10:10 AM
If you are there the same weekend as the Tour das Hugel, do that - although it's pure road riding. Then, tell me there's not great riding in Texas.

nicrump
10-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Unless driving out of town(LLano Castell area) you'll be basically hitting 1/4-1/2mi segments in the middle of longer paved road rides.

A fair amount towards Bastrop off 1704 but out of reach for riding from town unless you are into a 200k+ ride.

As Joosttx said, all around Cypress Mill and north of there towards spicewood but these are long hauls unless you drive.

The good stuff is 2hr or so west of Austin past Llano. There are 100+ mi routes out there that are 90% gravel and a total blast.

I've got some routes east of town that have dirt/gravel alternatives and even a jeep track through a corn field but most are less than 1mi with exception of CR456 just east of Copeland. There are more in that area as you make your way south towards Elgin on smaller roads.

Although a small haul from CP/Leander, to the west is CowCreek road which has other smaller dirt off of it. Been more than a decade since i've ridden CowCreek but it was a blast with multiple nasty cattle guards and what not. It might have been developed by now.

Ps, just looked at google earth, dammit if cowcreek isn't pavement now.

texbike
10-28-2014, 10:24 AM
I may be visiting my brother in the next couple of months in Austin. Any info on some good road/dirt rides would be appreciated. I will either take my roadie with 26mm tires or cross bike with 32mm Pasela's. The area I will be in is in Cedar Park.

Sadly, there really isn't anything of consequence from a gravel perspective close in. The two that Weisan mentions are more bike paths than "gravel". However, there's plenty of "scenery" on the Town Lake trail. ;)

My suggestion would be to bring a road bike or a mountain bike. We have great trails and good road riding. Some of the roads are like gravel. :rolleyes: So there's that.

I would definitely encourage you to do the Tour das Hugel if you're in town that weekend (November 15th this year). It's 113 miles of fun and smiles. A ride profile is attached.

Texbike

nicrump
10-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I forgot to mention the Polonia Cemetery route. its a good 85mi route from the center of town but has about 4 mi of my favorite gravel smack dab in the middle. An all together great route either way with a potential for BBQ.

p nut
10-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll look into those rides. Won't be there in time for TdH, but looking forward to riding out there.

austex
10-29-2014, 12:22 PM
If you get east of Austin, Old Sayers Rd. between Elgin and Bastrop is a nice ride- mixed pavement and gravel in rolling farm/ranch land. If you start/finish in Elgin, Southside Market is a decent BBQ lunch spot...

Tom

weisan
10-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Hell!
OK, that's it!
For those who think Austin is short on gravel...Im taking nut-pal to go ride at Walnut Creek and Emma Long park ...on our ROAD bikes!
We will show them what real gravel is.