PDA

View Full Version : red meat?

Climb01742
03-17-2006, 05:42 PM
how many of you eat red meat? are there nutritional reasons to eat red meat, especially when you're training hard? i haven't eaten red meat in almost 30 years, getting my protein from fish and chicken/turkey. can red meat give you nutritional things other types of protein can't? :confused:

Ken Robb
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
it's tasty and it makes my big red wines taste wonderful. Otherwise, I think turkey and that other stuff is as nutritious.

palincss
03-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day without corned beef? Unthinkable!

:rolleyes:

pdxmech13
03-17-2006, 06:10 PM
mad cow is here to stay.

how's that for scare tactics :D

vandeda
03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
h can red meat give you nutritional things other types of protein can't? :confused:

maybe ... maybe not ... i don't really care personally ... I looooooooooove chicken, but I also looooooove a good, juicy grilled steak.

If you enjoy it, eat it. If not, then there's other stuff too.

dan

jerk
03-17-2006, 06:26 PM
eddie b always said that the best red meat was horse meet. then again he didn't believe in using a towel on your balls after showering. imho bro, biwfd.

jerk

csm
03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
are rocky mountain oysters considered red meat?

e-RICHIE
03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
red bike
red twizzlers
red meat

that's why they pay me the big bucks

catulle
03-17-2006, 07:08 PM
red bike
red twizzlers
red meat

Is that a rethorical question?

e-RICHIE
03-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Is that a rethorical question?

kick me.
http://spinaltapfan.com/atozed/TAP00191.HTM

Tailwinds
03-17-2006, 07:16 PM
You don't need it, so don't eat it if you don't want to.

But, biwfd imho.

William
03-17-2006, 07:18 PM
http://members.aol.com/beetlady/beetad.jpg

Grant McLean
03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
red bike
red twizzlers
red meat

champagne frame
champagne taste
champagne flutes

-g

catulle
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
White meat is just fine...

William
03-17-2006, 07:26 PM
champagne frame
champagne taste
champagne flutes

-g
http://www.lib.ksu.edu/depts/spec/rarebooks/cookery2/images/lifestyles1992.jpg

This week, Chapter 12, cooking Twizzler flambay at the home of the world famous Richard "e" Sachs. Who knew you could cook with a brazing torch???:beer:

William ;)

Dr. Doofus
03-17-2006, 07:27 PM
doof will eat dog

your dog

William
03-17-2006, 07:31 PM
doof will eat dog

your dog

http://wolf.ok.ac.kr/~annyg/english/image/pic_5.gif

catulle
03-17-2006, 07:32 PM
doof will eat dog

your dog

The munson dog...

Dr. Doofus
03-17-2006, 07:35 PM
The munson dog...

mmmmmm

where's the nama shoryu?

(and where is the other one?)

catulle
03-17-2006, 07:43 PM
mmmmmm

where's the nama shoryu?

(and where is the other one?)

Munson is two, the dog is one. Jezzzz....

Dr. Doofus
03-17-2006, 07:52 PM
are the two one with the dog?

catulle
03-17-2006, 08:53 PM
are the two one with the dog?

Three persons but one God.

e-RICHIE
03-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Three persons but one God.

ah - what is the sound of one paw clapping?

catulle
03-17-2006, 08:59 PM
ah - what is the sound of one paw clapping?

I heard it sounds like when you pull yourself up by your boot straps.

e-RICHIE
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
I heard it sounds like when you pull yourself up by your boot straps.

straps?

OldDog
03-17-2006, 09:25 PM
duuude...thems for lounge'n in the Keys sipping margarita's by the bay...

catulle
03-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Polymorphous....

Kevan
03-17-2006, 10:02 PM
http://www.cffcheers.com/menu_img/pic_c.jpg

Kahuna
03-17-2006, 11:53 PM
As long as we're on the subject of food and meat, why not consider one of the world's richest food sources...

Of course I'm talking about the other red meat... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1580080227/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2976297-9764022)

Lincoln
03-18-2006, 12:50 AM
As long as we're on the subject of food and meat, why not consider one of the world's richest food sources...

Of course I'm talking about the other red meat... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1580080227/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2976297-9764022)

I thought this was the other red meat:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0879759062/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-3889484-6428913#reader-link

beungood
03-19-2006, 06:19 PM
I mainly eat Chicken ,fish and turkey but like having a steak once a week. I also eat alot of Vennison streaks and stews since they are very low in Fat. Bison Burger is also on my list on occasion.

Frankwurst
03-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Vennison. If not that, Salmon the other pink meat. :beer:

fstrthnu
03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Superior Heme Iron Content.
I'm surprised Your Coach couldn't tell You that. :rolleyes:
Fstrthnu

Chad Engle
03-19-2006, 08:17 PM
all the colon blocking goodness of beef with less fat than chicken.

Serious, much better for you than beef just as tastey.

:banana:

Ginger
03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
yep.

"sure you can eat lots of other things high in iron but the iron in other sources isn't as easily available to your system"

my coach told me that

;)

hybridbellbaske
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Kangaroo. seriously good. lean. gamey.

Ah, Australia- the only country in the world where we eat out national symbol!

dbrk
03-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Ah, Australia- the only country in the world where we eat out national symbol!

The only meat I will eat is bald eagle. This can be hard to come by so otherwise I stick strictly to wealthy Republican campaign contributors from Texas. But they must be fresh shot, of course.

dbrk

Ozz
03-20-2006, 11:54 AM
The only meat I will eat is bald eagle. ...
I heard it tastes like Spotted Owl? Sorry...lame joke from "logging country."

My wife doesn't eat beef, chicken, pork, or lamb, so my diet is involuntarily restricted to veggies and fish. I still get a "meat" fix every couple weeks when I visit my folks, or when we eat out.

Frankly, I do try and steer away from beef cuz of mad cow disease. I have not eaten ground beef in at least two years. I figure the risk is pretty slim, and I do eat steaks and roasts on occasion, but that is one lottery I don't want to win.

Russell
03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I like this red meat

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/

Slave2Gus
03-21-2006, 12:13 PM
and packing out elk is good cross training, too!

Ginger
03-21-2006, 01:31 PM
With elk and venison you still have to consider CWD.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/cwd.htm
" Saskatchewan has spent approximately $30 million in attempts at eradicating the disease in infected commercially operated game farms."

From toxic molds in peanuts and other foods, to things like mad cow disease, no food source is completely safe. Mad cow just gets lots of media attention. Catching a chronic wasting disease from a McDonalds burger is a much more scary thing than eating bad peanuts.

malcolm
03-21-2006, 01:42 PM
There is no chance of bse (mad cow) from eating beef muscle unless it has been contaminated with brain or spinal cord tissue. The prion that causes the cow version of jacob-cruezfelt (spelling?) does not exist in beef muscle only the brain and cord. I think there have been u.s. regulations against feeding cows with products containing brain and cord and protections against brain and cord products in processed meat products since the mid '70s. No chance may be an overstatement but the chance is infinitesimally small. Mad cow in humans is media sensationalism and trade politics. E-coli is a much greater concern.

Slave2Gus
03-23-2006, 06:07 PM
and most every state's Fish and Game Dept offer CWD testing. If after that one still has worries, well, don't leave the house for fear of lightening strikes, nuclear holocaust, killer bees, and who knows what else! :D Sometimes you just gotta protect your odds and then get on with it. I'll trust meat I took from the field to the freezer way more than something on a styrofoam plate and a purple stamp.

Oh, and never purchase "wild" game meat from game farms! Game farms are just plain wrong (not to mention a significant contributor to CWD).

JohnS
03-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Game farms are just plain wrong
WORD!

Fixed
03-23-2006, 07:29 PM
bro i heard there is some guy in washington with ...mad cowboy disease cheers :beer: :beer:

93legendti
03-25-2006, 07:05 AM
If you must, the meat of a pseudo-intellectual, pony haired, out of touch, liberal, college/university professor is lean and high in protein and b-12--but be careful, the abundance of hot air in the meat may upset your system. Fortunately, there is no shortage of this delicacy.

If not, buffalo is swell.

dbrk
03-25-2006, 07:53 AM
If you must, the meat of a pseudo-intellectual, pony haired, out of touch, liberal, college/university professor is lean and high in protein and b-12--but be careful, the abundance of hot air in the meat may upset your system. Fortunately, there is no shortage of this delicacy.

If not, buffalo is swell.

Well, that would be me and I would take the "pseudo-intellectual" hard (since I have enough credentials not to be "pseudo-" whether or not anyone would care) if I didn't secretly long to be called as much by Bill O'Reilly and win other forms of derision from the Right. In fact, I do my best to upset my students (and their parents, if I get the chance) with leftist politics and other voices that are smothered, muted, reproved by those who find dissent bad for business. But such folks need not worry, I am as likely to drop out of their world (as soon as possible) as I am to walk away from an industry's bicycle culture that, for the most part, I no longer find interesting. Ahh, further out of touch, that's only a matter of getting my kids through college. The pony-tail protects my head underneath my cycling cap.

As for meat, I say, "Tofu: the other other white meat." As for what other pseudo-intellectual colleagues choose to eat, that's the liberal part: I actually think it's okay to not to conform to one point of view.

dbrk

catulle
03-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Zzzzz....

Serpico
03-25-2006, 10:06 AM
wow, Catulle I almost posted the same image :beer:

weird

catulle
03-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Hey, we´re talking bikes and good nutrition, why the vitriol? :beer:

dbrk
03-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Hey, we´re talking bikes and good nutrition, why the vitriol?

Indeed, I could not agree more, but whose vitriol? I should sit silently without acknowledgement of so thinly velied a personal attack? Such a contumelous, feckless calumny from a character of such impenetrable ill-liberality? I'll not reply again, be it in defense or virtriol, but be assured I feel quite capable of making my points. Words never frighten me.

As for red meat and nutrition, I hope all my friends go out for a burger and a beer with all the joy it brings them. At the Ramble this summer I'll be serving something different but equally hospitiable. I invite all, especially those who ride Legends.

dbrk

Sandy
03-25-2006, 11:24 AM
The only meat I will eat is bald eagle. This can be hard to come by so otherwise I stick strictly to wealthy Republican campaign contributors from Texas. But they must be fresh shot, of course.

dbrk

Eating an American Bald Eagle is against US Federal law, I believe, as as possessing them. I don't even think that you are allowed to possess the feathers. My twin brother is an expert on birds of prey, so I will ask him

Bald but not a bird,

Sheriff Serotta Sandy

catulle
03-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Indeed, I could not agree more, but whose vitriol? I should sit silently without acknowledgement of so thinly velied a personal attack? Such a contumelous, feckless calumny from a character of such impenetrable ill-liberality? I'll not reply again, be it in defense or virtriol, but be assured I feel quite capable of making my points. Words never frighten me.

As for red meat and nutrition, I hope all my friends go out for a burger and a beer with all the joy it brings them. At the Ramble this summer I'll be serving something different but equally hospitiable. I invite all, especially those who ride Legends.

dbrk

Hey, just contumelous ahead. I´m a tofu kind'a dude myself. Make bikes not war.

bluesea
03-25-2006, 12:03 PM
The other red meat. (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.umitosakana.com/umi23/umisakana-p/maguro.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.umitosakana.com/umi23/umisakana-p/f-maguro.htm&h=850&w=539&sz=90&tbnid=sgyH75ZQuDoYiM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=91&hl=en&start=25&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmaguro%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl %3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN) Yum...

Sandy
03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
That exchange of posts starting at 93lengendti's post (#46) was a sad commentary for us on the forum.

93legendti- Your post was most hurtful, vicious, insensitive, and caustic. It was not only hostile, but completely out of line.

"pseudo intellectual" Dbrk is certainly not pseudo intellectual or pseudo anything. He is intellectually brilliant, with an amazing base of knowledge which he articulates in a brilliant manner, with a personal flair.

"pony haired" Absolutely meaningless. I am bald, so what?

"out of touch" Out of touch with what? Very little, I would say. He and you undoutedly have different thoughts and perspectives on many things, but that in no way suggest he or anyone else is out of touch. You may or may agree with him, but so what?

"liberal" His choice, just like it is your choice not to be.

"college university prfessor" Once again his choice. To be an educator and change peoples lives is a most noble profession.

"hot air" Is that because you don't think as he does?

I don't always agree with dbrk as many of those here must know. Dbrk certainly does. But as time has passed, I have gained greater and greater respect for him as a person. He is up front, brilliant, amazingly articulate, sensitive, caring ,direct, friendly, and most welcome to share his extensive knowledge with us all. He is a major reason why so many people visit this forum.

I really do think that you owe dbrk a sincere apology. What did he possibly do or say to receive such negatism from you? You are exceptionally off base.

I genuinely look forward to reading your posts. But this one is outlandish and vile. I don't understand your motivation.

Sandy

slowgoing
03-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Personally, I would never eat my political adversaries. Burn them at the stake, maybe, but never eat them. That's disgusting.

catulle
03-25-2006, 12:29 PM
That exchange of posts starting at 93lengendti's post (#46) was a sad commentary for us on the forum.

93legendti- Your post was most hurtful, vicious, insensitive, and caustic. It was not only hostile, but completely out of line.

"pseudo intellectual" Dbrk is certainly not pseudo intellectual or pseudo anything. He is intellectually brilliant, with an amazing base of knowledge which he articulates in a brilliant manner, with a personal flair.

"pony haired" Absolutely meaningless. I am bald, so what?

"out of touch" Out of touch with what? Very little, I would say. He and you undoutedly have different thoughts and perspectives on many things, but that in no way suggest he or anyone else is out of touch. You may or may agree with him, but so what?

"liberal" His choice, just like it is your choice not to be.

"college university prfessor" Once again his choice. To be an educator and change peoples lives is a most noble profession.

"hot air" Is that because you don't think as he does?

I don't always agree with dbrk as many of those here must know. Dbrk certainly does. But as time has passed, I have gained greater and greater respect for him as a person. He is up front, brilliant, amazingly articulate, sensitive, caring ,direct, friendly, and most welcome to share his extensive knowledge with us all. He is a major reason why so many people visit this forum.

I really do think that you owe dbrk a sincere apology. What did he possibly do or say to receive such negatism from you? You are exceptionally off base.

I genuinely look forward to reading your posts. But this one is outlandish and vile. I don't understand your motivation.

Sandy

I´m new in the hood and all, and I don´t want to start up with a ruckus, but I couldn´t agree more with you. Except that I also agree with most of what Douglas has to say.

Dr. Doofus
03-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Personally, I would never eat my political adversaries. Burn them at the stake, maybe, but never eat them. That's disgusting.

WWMCD?

bluesea
03-25-2006, 01:01 PM

The other white meat. (http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/95oct/jcook.html)

bluesea
03-25-2006, 02:14 PM

50 lashes...

CNY rider
03-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Sandy for sheriff!

Ken Robb
03-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I've enjoyed a sloppy burger and beer with the subject pony-tailed liberal while he had his veggie delight in his local pub. I didn't detect even a hint of disapproval from him as I scarfed down bits of "sacred cow". He is a liberal in the true sense of the word.

e-RICHIE
03-25-2006, 03:20 PM
He is a liberal in the true sense of the word.

he's also one of the nicest guys i ever met, much less
did business with; he's a treat to know, be around, and
call a pal.

Kevan
03-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm NOT doing a group hug down there!

Fixed
03-25-2006, 03:33 PM
bro one has always been nice to me and one has well ...but i don't think he can help it .I think he was born on the other side of the tracks . he does like art . and he told me one time he likes miles davis and he bikes everyday . and maybe the new baby is keeping him up at night, to me he is still a bro . he just sees the world a lot different than I do I see the world more like the professor but i think the other bro is alright too .i.m.h.o.

Sandy
03-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm NOT doing a group hug down there!

Count me out in any group hug that you attend.

Strangling Sandy

93legendti
03-25-2006, 04:30 PM

dbrk

Hey, you're kidding, I'm kidding, right? You do this on a semi-irregular basis and you know that posts are supposed to avoid politics, so why do it?

Your post was offensive to me, whether in jest or not.

BTW, I have no idea if you have a pony tail or not, since we have never met. But, I know the profs I had at U of M that were the most full of it did.
I was not singling you out--Ward Churchill and that dweeb Bennish were more of my inspiration, as well as my jr. year "English" professor.

I am truly sorry if I offended you.

slowgoing
03-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Your post was offensive to me, whether in jest or not.

You start slinging mud and then are offended when your target zings you back? Silly boy.

And, by the way, no one cares about your OT comments about where went to school, what "art" you or your relatives collect or any of the many other side comments you load in your posts in a pitiful attempt to impress. They reek of an insecurity where one tries to buy respect by acquiring things. It doesn't work that way. It's not what you have or where you've been, but what you do with it all. Along those lines, what impresses here useful knowledge imparted in a pleasant and helpful manner. Taking pot shots at universally respected forum members doesn't qualify.

93legendti
03-25-2006, 08:40 PM
You start slinging mud and then are offended when your target zings you back? Silly boy.

And, by the way, no one cares about your OT comments about where went to school, what "art" you or your relatives collect or any of the many other side comments you load in your posts in a pitiful attempt to impress. They reek of an insecurity where one tries to buy respect by acquiring things. It doesn't work that way. It's not what you have or where you've been, but what you do with it all. Along those lines, what impresses here useful knowledge imparted in a pleasant and helpful manner. Taking pot shots at universally respected forum members doesn't qualify.

Sorry, to confuse you with the facts, but his comment came BEFORE mine. His post was #37 in the thread and mine was #46.

I understand you do not like me and for that I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should report every one of my posts and the mods will ban me. If so, I hope you will feel better.

On the other hand, with the recent birth of my 2nd child, I am about to get very busy. So you might get lucky and not be burdened with my posts. Hang in there.
BTW, I am not a boy and would never try to impress you. EVERYONE posts side comments. I understand only mine bother you and for that you have my empathy and sympathy.

Lincoln
03-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm new to the scene in here and have found it to be a pretty impressive, tolerant, and entertaining forum. One of the two or three best forums that I have found on any topic. I think it is often the handling of OT issues that can separate so-so forums from the really good ones. It is where people get to learn about another dimension of their co-forumites, bond, spar, and show-off a little.

93legendti, I think where you went wrong was to take dbrk's generic comment that offended you and return with a what was percieved (wrongly or not) as a very personal attack. If you had returned with a generic "anti-liberal" comment of your own (spotted owls are much tastier than bald eagles?) then the whole thread would have continued along its disfunctional way. Take a few days away, play with your new kid and your "old" kid, try to get a little sleep and then come back. Just keep the punches above the belt.

Climb01742
03-26-2006, 04:25 AM
i bet someone could do a fascinating study of the dynamics of an online forum. it's amazing to me how threads can take such sudden detours. our lives, our personalities, our moods, our politics intersect in such interesting ways. and they intersect without benefit of context, without benefit of personal contact, without a smile, a wink, a tone of voice. it's a whole new form of communication frought with possibilities and pitfalls. sorry for the rambling, rather pointless observation. but i do find the dynamics of our little sandbox constantly fascinating.

93legendti
03-26-2006, 06:53 AM

BTW, I never thanked you for your part in steering me away from Richard's 2002 Legend. As a result, I was able to buy Pete's 2005 Sierra Nevada Ottrott ST. And for that, I thank you. THANKS!!

dbrk
03-26-2006, 07:22 AM
snip....it's a whole new form of communication frought with possibilities and pitfalls. sorry for the rambling, rather pointless observation. but i do find the dynamics of our little sandbox constantly fascinating.

By way of rambling, let me explain that my perhaps over-the-top comment about the possibilities of poultry was itself meant, perhaps too obliquely, as a comment on the very notion of "red meat." In other words, it was meant to be _red meat_, right? A provocation _about_ a provocative turn of phrase ("red meat", right?). Cannibalizing opponents, however, I will leave for real clowns because it is easy to forget that opponents don't always taste funny. (ba-dum-bum...) [Two cannibals are sitting eating a clown, the one turns to the other and says, "'This taste funny to you?"].

Civility notwithstanding, avoiding the red wine from western New York will be all the real trouble you'll have with cuisine in my neck of the woods though I hear it's good with spotted owl...

if giving it is funny, so is taking it,

dbrk

Sandy
03-26-2006, 09:06 AM
I used to be in the wholesale meat business. There was a pit bull that was very affectionate, but no one wanted to adopt him. He really liked me and would get real excited when I would see him and play with him. One of the dog handlers at the shelter asked me a question- You love dogs and animals so much. How can you be in the meat business? Great question to which I didn't have a very good answer.

Sirloin Steak Sandy

bostondrunk
03-27-2006, 12:04 PM
By way of rambling, let me explain that my perhaps over-the-top comment about the possibilities of poultry was itself meant, perhaps too obliquely, as a comment on the very notion of "red meat." In other words, it was meant to be _red meat_, right? A provocation _about_ a provocative turn of phrase ("red meat", right?). Cannibalizing opponents, however, I will leave for real clowns because it is easy to forget that opponents don't always taste funny. (ba-dum-bum...) [Two cannibals are sitting eating a clown, the one turns to the other and says, "'This taste funny to you?"].

Civility notwithstanding, avoiding the red wine from western New York will be all the real trouble you'll have with cuisine in my neck of the woods though I hear it's good with spotted owl...

if giving it is funny, so is taking it,

dbrk

yeah, dbrk is a good guy......anyone that can put up with 2-3 years of the drunk poking fun at his long bike reviews and not ask to have him banned, has got to be OK.... :beer:

And Sandy, I would bet three pair of old bib shorts that Kevan finds your bald head very sexy!

Kevan
03-27-2006, 12:26 PM
And Sandy, I would bet three pair of old bib shorts that Kevan finds your bald head very sexy!

THAT'S IT!!!

SEROTTA, FREEZE THIS THREAD!

Tom Byrnes
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=93legendti]If you must, the meat of a pseudo-intellectual, pony haired, out of touch, liberal, college/university professor is lean and high in protein and b-12--but be careful, the abundance of hot air in the meat may upset your system. Fortunately, there is no shortage of this delicacy.

I have just read this thread and am stunned by 93legendti's vicious, senseless and inaccurate attack on my and the Serotta Forum's very dear friend Douglas Brooks. I am glad to see so many SerottaPals speak up in Douglas's behalf. Normally, I would refrain from personally responding, but I want to add my voice to those who have already commented on 93legendti's behavior and comments.

"Pseudo-intellectual" ??? Douglas is far too modest to mention the following:

Dr. Douglas Brooks: Masters Degree - Harvard University; PhD - Harvard University; Fulbright Scholar. Full university professor and department head. A world-renowned published lecturer and scholar. What is so "pseudo" about those accomplishments?

We all know people who have accomplished far, far less but blow their own horn much louder than Douglas. As everyone who has met him knows, you will not find a more down-to-earth, humble person than Douglas.

Curiously, what are 93legendti's credentials?

"Abundance of hot air" or "out of touch (?) Isn't that a bit of projection? Does anyone seriously challenge Douglas' great love and knowledge of bicycles? Doesn't he share that love and knowledge quite freely?

What's with this person? Isn't 93legendti the same person who chose to also continually insult and attack The Jerk last year and also had a questionable financial transaction with a Serotta Forum member? 93legendti personally attacked Dave Thompson, Dirtdigger, Slowgoing and Tony Edwards with stupid names ("dolts", "patheticc stalkers", "mental midgets", "13 year olders" because he claimed that they were interfering with his potential purchase of a bike. He even insulted lovable Sandy and Kevan in that foolish diatribe.

As others have previously mentioned, he certainly has a a very short fuse and very thin skin. Maybe 93legendti has an insecurity or jealously problem of some sort where he has the need to attack certain accomplished or well admired people. Has Douglas been getting too much (well deserved) attention with and positive responses to his generous offer to host the Tour de Finger Lakes Ramble (for the third time)? I recall that the Jerk was also getting lots of attention and was very well liked by the Forum when he decided to try to criticize him.

I am angry right now at what 93legendti wrote and know that generally it is not wise for me to respond in writing while I am angry. Often, I later regret my actions or wish I had tempered my response. However, I know that I will not later regret responding to 93legendti's caustic comments. This isn't the first time that he has needlessly attacked a Forum member and I want add my voice to those who have previously let him know that there is no need for him to behave that way on this Forum.

Tom

Fixed
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=93legendti]If you must, the meat of a pseudo-intellectual, pony haired, out of touch, liberal, college/university professor is lean and high in protein and b-12--but be careful, the abundance of hot air in the meat may upset your system. Fortunately, there is no shortage of this delicacy.

I have just read this thread and am stunned by 93legendti's vicious, senseless and inaccurate attack on my and the Serotta Forum's very dear friend Douglas Brooks. I am glad to see so many SerottaPals speak up in Douglas's behalf. Normally, I would refrain from personally responding, but I want to add my voice to those who have already commented on 93legendti's behavior and comments.

"Pseudo-intellectual" ??? Douglas is far too modest to mention the following:

Dr. Douglas Brooks: Masters Degree - Harvard University; PhD - Harvard University; Fulbright Scholar. Full university professor and department head. A world-renowned published lecturer and scholar. What is so "pseudo" about those accomplishments?

We all know people who have accomplished far, far less but blow their own horn much louder than Douglas. As everyone who has met him knows, you will not find a more down-to-earth, humble person than Douglas.

"Abundance of hot air" or "out of touch (?) Isn't that a bit of projection? Does anyone seriously challenge Douglas' great love and knowledge of bicycles? Doesn't he share that love and knowledge quite freely?

What's with this person? Isn't 93legendti the same person who chose to also continually insult and attack The Jerk last year and also had a questionable financial transaction with a Serotta Forum member? 93legendti personally attacked Dave Thompson, Dirtdigger, Slowgoing and Tony Edwards with stupid names ("dolts", "patheticc stalkers", "mental midgets", "13 year olders" because he claimed that they were interfering with his potential purchase of a bike. He even insulted lovable Sandy and Kevan in that foolish diatribe.

As others have previously mentioned, he certainly has a a very short fuse and very thin skin. Maybe 93legendti has an insecurity or jealously problem of some sort where he has the need to attack certain accomplished or well admired people. Has Douglas been getting too much (well deserved) attention with and positive responses to his generous offer to host the Tour de Finger Lakes Ramble (for the third time)? I recall that the Jerk was also getting lots of attention and was very well liked by the Forum when he decided to try to criticize him.

I am angry right now at what 93legendti wrote and know that generally it is not wise for me to respond in writing while I am angry. Often, I later regret my actions or wish I had tempered my response. However, I know that I will not later regret responding to 93legendti's caustic comments. This isn't the first time that he has needlessly attacked a Forum member and I want add my voice to those who have previously let him know that there is no need for him to behave that way on this Forum.

Tom
bro I agree with you maybe he dosen't bother me cos I am used to people putting me down .cheers

flydhest
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Sorry, to confuse you with the facts, but his comment came BEFORE mine. His post was #37 in the thread and mine was #46.

I understand you do not like me and for that I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should report every one of my posts and the mods will ban me. If so, I hope you will feel better.

On the other hand, with the recent birth of my 2nd child, I am about to get very busy. So you might get lucky and not be burdened with my posts. Hang in there.
BTW, I am not a boy and would never try to impress you. EVERYONE posts side comments. I understand only mine bother you and for that you have my empathy and sympathy.

You do realize the idea of a Republican shot while hunting could be an interesting reference to the Vice President's hunting escapade. A joke directed at . . . hmmm, current events. A truly awful target for our professor Brooks.

If one were to criticize him, it would be that that material is "lightly used" but you seem to like that type of thing. Other than that, I'll just tease him because his PhD is from Harvard. I thought he could do better.

slowgoing
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Tom

Co-founder of Lactation Bicycles, IIRC.

Which is why the upcoming second child has me cringing.

dbrk
03-27-2006, 04:44 PM
... Other than that, I'll just tease him because his PhD is from Harvard. I thought he could do better.

I wasn't smart enough to get into Princeton, I concede that. Kudos to flyd, 'cause he's one smart, smart cookie. Plus, he rides a REALLY NICE CSi. Hmmm.

There was, of course, another silly level of joke I meant to imply...to wit, the thread was about _red_ meat...So what do I do? Poke fun at the idea that the Red state guys go for the red meat and then _bait_ those who would be offended...red meat for those who would be offended by the joke about what sort of meat, yada, yada. So of course I meant to offend because I _thought_ I was making fun of being offended and being offensive. Explaining a joke is NEVER funny. Apologies.

As for this feature of this thread. 93legendti has offered his apologies and I offer mine as well as my twice extended invitation to join us for a ride. I never ask if my friends are in political agreement, only that the conversation be interesting.

Thanks to my pals. You are far too kind to me.

dbrk

Fixed
03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
bro a classic gentleman i.m.h.o.

flydhest
03-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Douglas,
If you're going to be gracious and accomodating, it takes the fun out of teasing you. Sheesh, be considerate.

Johny
03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I wasn't smart enough to get into Princeton, I concede that. Kudos to flyd, 'cause he's one smart, smart cookie. Plus, he rides a REALLY NICE CSi. Hmmm.

There was, of course, another silly level of joke I meant to imply...to wit, the thread was about _red_ meat...So what do I do? Poke fun at the idea that the Red state guys go for the red meat and then _bait_ those who would be offended...red meat for those who would be offended by the joke about what sort of meat, yada, yada. So of course I meant to offend because I _thought_ I was making fun of being offended and being offensive. Explaining a joke is NEVER funny. Apologies.

As for this feature of this thread. 93legendti has offered his apologies and I offer mine as well as my twice extended invitation to join us for a ride. I never ask if my friends are in political agreement, only that the conversation be interesting.

dbrk

KUDOS to prof. dbrk for his wisdom and generosity.

P.S. I will eat any red meat dr. dbrk cooks.

catulle
03-27-2006, 05:01 PM
What the Buddha says...

Serpico
03-27-2006, 05:35 PM

93legendti
03-27-2006, 05:54 PM

dbrk

Apology accepted. I missed the "twice extended invitation to join (you) for a ride" and other than a bro telling me to check this thread I would still not have seen it--been busy with my sick 3 year old and cranky 10 day old who had his Brit Milah yesterday (hard on the boy and probably harder on the parents!).

Any way, my wife's extreme patience with my cycling and bicycle collecting does not include trips to areas where she does not have family, so I will have to graciously, but sincerely decline...perhaps another time in the future when the kids are older an at summer camp (that may give me time to stop being stubborn and try a 650b bike!).

I glanced at the rest of the thread--there's some funny stuff there! I am flattered guys. Reminds of the time I spent an afternoon with Ariel (Arik) Sharon --wait this will upset Slowgoing--I'll save it for another time.

dirtdigger88
03-27-2006, 06:05 PM
man- Im gone for a few days and look at all the fun I missed

hey Serpico- good post-

http://uptown.jengajam.com/eating_a_cat.jpg

Jason

Sandy
03-27-2006, 06:19 PM
man- Im gone for a few days and look at all the fun I missed

hey Serpico- good post-

http://uptown.jengajam.com/eating_a_cat.jpg

Jason

Try that with a tiger! :) :)

Serotta Sandy

Sandy
03-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Wow, you learn so much on the forum. Dbrk- Masters and PhD from Harvard. Fulbright scholar. College professor......

I thought that his astonishing writing abilty and vocabulary came from the 7 years that he spent in the third grade. :)

Still in the second grade,

Stupid Sandy

catulle
03-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Try it with Fido here...

Sandy
03-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Try it with Fido here...

That one will work fine. So where did dirtdigger go? Is he digging a hole in the ground to hide??

Shoveling Sandy

dirtdigger88
03-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Try that with a tiger! :) :)

Serotta Sandy

not diggin a hole to hide- diggin up some gals

ok- but which one first

http://www.mopo.ca/hello/1907759/640/tigerlady-2005.06.20-16.36.26.jpg

http://schroder.users.lantic.net/Media/Body3.jpg

http://www.kostumeudlejning.dk/image2/bodypaint/tiger.jpg

http://www.bodylines.dk/images/bodypaint/ansigt_tiger.jpg

http://www.dreaminglizard.com/cindy/traditional/full/Tiger-woman.jpg

you get the idea

Jason

Sandy
03-27-2006, 06:33 PM
not diggin a hole to hide- diggin up some gals

ok- but which one first

http://www.mopo.ca/hello/1907759/640/tigerlady-2005.06.20-16.36.26.jpg

http://schroder.users.lantic.net/Media/Body3.jpg

http://www.kostumeudlejning.dk/image2/bodypaint/tiger.jpg

http://www.bodylines.dk/images/bodypaint/ansigt_tiger.jpg

http://www.dreaminglizard.com/cindy/traditional/full/Tiger-woman.jpg

you get the idea

Jason

All of them at the same time. :)

Salivating Sandy

catulle
03-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Fido better not jump the thread. :no:

Fixed
03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
bro nothing like a little pussy cat to make you feel better cheers

jerk
03-27-2006, 08:38 PM
93legendti,

now the jerk knows where he knows you from; do liberals really taste salty or were you mugging for the camera?

jerk

Serpico
03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8495&stc=1

Dr. Doofus
03-27-2006, 08:59 PM
that's my sister

stop posting pictures of her

saab2000
03-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Mad cow in humans is media sensationalism and trade politics.

Tell that to the people in Switzerland and Britain who have died from it. I am not going to get into an argument. Here is NOT the time or place. But it is real, even if it is very rare.

dbrk
03-27-2006, 10:13 PM
[snip...]
I thought that his ....[snip] writing abilty and vocabulary came from the 7 years that he spent in the third grade. :)
Sandy

You've found me out, Sandy. Third grade it was. Seven times. And then I didn't get into Princeton. Thank goodness for the smart guys like Flydhest. Someone has to run the economy while semi-literates like myself twist the minds of your children and subvert their morals.

I also see this thread has taken the...uhh...other turn. May it keep its present course: I like paint but I'm good with bare metal too.

Gratuitous cycling comment to encourage more thread drift in the way of a near non-sequitor: Anyone care to speculate if we will see a new stainless 950 (something) Reynolds tubed Serotta? Bare steel would be very, very cool. 'Just cause.

dbrk

Sandy
03-27-2006, 10:18 PM
You've found me out, Sandy. Third grade it was. Seven times. And then I didn't get into Princeton. Thank goodness for the smart guys like Flydhest. Someone has to run the economy while semi-literates like myself twist the minds of your children and subvert their morals.

I also see this thread has taken the...uhh...other turn. May it keep its present course: I like paint but I'm good with bare metal too.

Gratuitous cycling comment to encourage more thread drift in the way of a near non-sequitor: Anyone care to speculate if we will see a new stainless 950 (something) Reynolds tubed Serotta? Bare steel would be very, very cool. 'Just cause.

dbrk

You didn't get into Princeton because you didn't apply. Flydhest applied to Harvard 4 times and never got in, so he had to settle for Princeton. :rolleyes:

Scholar Sandy

Serotta_James
03-28-2006, 12:31 AM
You've got to be kidding me with this thread.
I'm keeping this viewable for everyone to see a textbook example of what a thread ought not to be.