PDA

View Full Version : John Neugent is back...

FlashUNC
10-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Though I guess that implies he went somewhere after Neuvation shut down. I believe he said at the time he was going to re-tool for a higher-end product. Well, here he is. I know he's got a dedicated following here...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/27/neugent-cycling-spins-away-from-neuvation-now-high-end-hand-built/

jtakeda
10-27-2014, 08:15 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=151021&highlight=Neugent

Looks like bobswire is more in the loop than bike rumor! ;)

oldpotatoe
10-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Though I guess that implies he went somewhere after Neuvation shut down. I believe he said at the time he was going to re-tool for a higher-end product. Well, here he is. I know he's got a dedicated following here...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/27/neugent-cycling-spins-away-from-neuvation-now-high-end-hand-built/

"I should be clear in saying that I do believe my wheels would be competitive at the highest levels. When I go to Asia my strategy is to keep my head out of the wind. Let the big guys teach the factories the hard stuff and I will just go and take their development for free"

bobswire
10-28-2014, 08:36 AM
"I should be clear in saying that I do believe my wheels would be competitive at the highest levels. When I go to Asia my strategy is to keep my head out of the wind. Let the big guys teach the factories the hard stuff and I will just go and take their development for free"

He's honest to a fault. Having said that most businesses do that if an opportunity presented itself, he is not stealing another businesses product just taking advantage of production expertise already in place along with his own expertise. Nothing wrong with that.

54ny77
10-28-2014, 08:39 AM
my experience with neuvation was that his stuff was junk (busted hubs, cracked rims), but the customer service better than anything i've ever experienced in the bike biz. he took care of things right away, quite literally (fed ex'd a set of replacements before getting the defective wheels back) along with plenty of communication. really above & beyond. i sold the replacement stuff, however.

dan682
10-28-2014, 08:48 AM
my experience with neuvation was that his stuff was junk (busted hubs, cracked rims), but the customer service better than anything i've ever experienced in the bike biz. he took care of things right away, quite literally (fed ex'd a set of replacements before getting the defective wheels back) along with plenty of communication. really above & beyond. i sold the replacement stuff, however.

Yeah I always wondered about how it could be so cheap. Those new carbon wheels seem like a great deal. I think I'd rather have a quality product with no customer service though.

54ny77
10-28-2014, 09:03 AM
my experience may be unique and i happened to get a real bunch of lemons from specific production runs (john requested everything back to submit for testing). it happened on a couple full sets of wheels. hub flanges sheared right off (thankfully while going uphill, not on a descent), cassette bodies mauled/grooved, cassette pawls disintegrated, cassette internals (the "teeth) got grooved, rim anodization cracking, rim metal actually fatigued/cracked, etc.

that said, there's gazillions of longevity testimonials on his products so like anything, a bad experience has to be taken in context. i tried his stuff on a whim since i was looking for inexpensive and supposedly durable wheels for knocking around nyc. well, nyc roads won! :D

Yeah I always wondered about how it could be so cheap. Those new carbon wheels seem like a great deal. I think I'd rather have a quality product with no customer service though.

thegunner
10-28-2014, 09:07 AM
my experience may be unique and i happened to get a real bunch of lemons from specific production runs (john requested everything back to submit for testing). it happened on a couple full sets of wheels. hub flanges sheared right off (thankfully while going uphill, not on a descent), cassette bodies mauled/grooved, cassette pawls disintegrated, cassette internals (the "teeth) got grooved, rim anodization cracking, rim metal actually fatigued/cracked, etc.

that said, there's gazillions of longevity testimonials on his products so like anything, a bad experience has to be taken in context. i tried his stuff on a whim since i was looking for inexpensive and supposedly durable wheels for knocking around nyc. well, nyc roads won! :D

yeah, people talk about poor road conditions, but i don't think they know what it's like until they've ridden a winter in the northeast...

sure minnesota might have a crapton of snow, but at least they don't have 4" of salt poured everywhere you wouldn't expect it.