PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra hub overhaul - diy project?

jmoore
10-27-2014, 02:54 PM
I bought a set of Ultegra hubs this weekend from craigslist. The front feels a little bit grind-y. Not awful but not buttery smooth either. The rear feels great (twss).

Is this a DIY project or should I just take it to the LBS and have them verify? The only thing I have read is that setting the load can be tricky. I'm semi-handy so could likely do it but I'm not opposed to dropping it off and having the LBS do it.

Cicli
10-27-2014, 02:56 PM
I bought a set of Ultegra hubs this weekend from craigslist. The front feels a little bit grind-y. Not awful but not buttery smooth either. The rear feels great (twss).

Is this a DIY project or should I just take it to the LBS and have them verify? The only thing I have read is that setting the load can be tricky. I'm semi-handy so could likely do it but I'm not opposed to dropping it off and having the LBS do it.

Its a piece of cake. Setting the endplay might take a couple of times but it will be a piece of cake. Get a couple of cone wrenches and some grease and have at it.

krismac23
10-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Easy stuff. The LBS should have the Ball bearing's in stock if they need to be replaced. Same with the cones but they can always be ordered. Use lighter "weight" grease for better performance. We have the DA or Campy grease in the shop but I'm sure you can find something a bit better than the assembly grease everyone tends to use :no:

oldpotatoe
10-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Easy stuff. The LBS should have the Ball bearing's in stock if they need to be replaced. Same with the cones but they can always be ordered. Use lighter "weight" grease for better performance. We have the DA or Campy grease in the shop but I'm sure you can find something a bit better than the assembly grease everyone tends to use :no:

Oh please. Grease is grease and grease is oil in soap. Grease, any grease, even that 'heavy' grease. I use lithium mixed with blue boat grease, about 5bucks for a 500 gram tub at local hardware store.

For the OP, yup, bearing balls, take apart, clean, new balls and grease, adjust well, go ride.

jmoore
10-27-2014, 03:34 PM
For the OP, yup, bearing balls, take apart, clean, new balls and grease, adjust well, go ride.

I have a big tub of white lithium grease I can use. I think i bought it in 2002. It's about 80% full.

And I find that the "adjust well" part is the tough bit. You've convinced me. I'm going to give it a go. I've got my Zinn manual as a reference. It will be a nice skill to have.

keevon
10-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Overhauling Shimano hubs is very satisfying. Make sure you have the right cone wrenches before embarking on the project.

Not sure what Zinn says, but the perfect cone adjustment actually feels a little loose when you wiggle the axle in your fingers. When mounted in the bike, clamping down the quick release compresses the axle and takes up the play. Buttery smoooooooth...

eddief
10-27-2014, 04:26 PM
make sure you don't lose em. :) They do tend to fall out onto your work surface and I never know how many were in there in the first place. Those sticky little mofos seem to disappear into thin air.

Gummee
10-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Oh please. Grease is grease and grease is oil in soap. Grease, any grease, even that 'heavy' grease. I use lithium mixed with blue boat grease, about 5bucks for a 500 gram tub at local hardware store.

I don't even mix in the lithium...

Pretty much anything slippery and I'm happy.

I'm still not finished with the tube of Phil Wood grease I got back in college. Its about done, but not *quite* yet.

M

shovelhd
10-27-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm still not finished with the tube of Phil Wood grease I got back in college. Its about done, but not *quite* yet.

I've got one of those, too.