PDA

View Full Version : 1993-1996 GT National Team Bikes

evo111@comcast.net
10-27-2014, 12:01 PM
I recently bought one of the frames off the Ebay. I am looking for any wisdom and information about the these frames and the components they were built up with. From what I can put together most of the components were from Mavic and Profile for the handle bars. Uncertain out which pedals, rims, tires and hubs were used. I am hoping to do a period correct rebuild.

I found a few threads across the hall and found this letter from Yamaguchi about the frames.

Any information on/from team mechanics or about the team members would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Letter:

Hello.

I never built frame under GT brand. But I work with USAC/USCF '88~2004(USA Cycling Association. Former US Cycling Federation) at the time did work with GT. but my job is mostly consultant for the US national team bikes.

Back then, GT had a small custom frame factory in Longmont Colorado run by Forrest Yelverton. This shop are only built steel frames. Ti and Alu. Frame are from CA GT factory. Mr. Tiermeyer are assignd for built Aluminum time trial frame.

Road frames: 93~96 GT national team bikes use True Temper. 97~2000 GT bike are Reynolds tubing.

GT's Sr# start with USA are made for the national team use.

National team GT road fork offsets are 45mm. With internal fork crown, raked fork blades (not straight blades) and Henry James dropouts

I hope this info help you.

Good luck for rebuilding this bikes.

Koichi Yamaguchi

Hawker
10-27-2014, 12:18 PM
I remember these bikes well. Very cool, let us know know how it rides.

texbike
10-27-2014, 12:22 PM
I recently bought one of the frames off the Ebay. I am looking for any wisdom and information about the these frames and the components they were built up with. From what I can put together most of the components were from Mavic and Profile for the handle bars. Uncertain out which pedals, rims, tires and hubs were used. I am hoping to do a period correct rebuild.

I found a few threads across the hall and found this letter from Yamaguchi about the frames.

Any information on/from team mechanics or about the team members would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Letter:

Hello.

I never built frame under GT brand. But I work with USAC/USCF '88~2004(USA Cycling Association. Former US Cycling Federation) at the time did work with GT. but my job is mostly consultant for the US national team bikes.

Back then, GT had a small custom frame factory in Longmont Colorado run by Forrest Yelverton. This shop are only built steel frames. Ti and Alu. Frame are from CA GT factory. Mr. Tiermeyer are assignd for built Aluminum time trial frame.

Road frames: 93~96 GT national team bikes use True Temper. 97~2000 GT bike are Reynolds tubing.

GT's Sr# start with USA are made for the national team use.

National team GT road fork offsets are 45mm. With internal fork crown, raked fork blades (not straight blades) and Henry James dropouts

I hope this info help you.

Good luck for rebuilding this bikes.

Koichi Yamaguchi

Congratulations on a cool bike!

That note is a copy of a response that Koichi sent to me back in 2008 regarding a 1999 team frameset that I had. David Tiemeyer turned out to be the builder of mine. He had a spreadsheet of serial numbers that he had built and mine was on that list. The early team bikes used True Temper and the later ones employed 853. As for components, they were mostly outfitted with Dura Ace at the time. They may have used Ultegra hubs. I believe that Dave had mentioned something about that.

Unfortunately I can't help with the handlebars/stem/saddle/pedal/rim specs, but there are quite a few pics on the web that you could probably use to nail down those details.

Good luck with the project! They're cool bikes.

Texbike

martinez
10-27-2014, 02:50 PM
I have a GT like the photo above but doesn't have the patriotic scheme, just the blue. Bought it from an awesome fella on this board.
Not sure how original mine was, but mine came with 7700 and mavic drivetrain.
Oh, and my GT has excel tubing

Chris
10-27-2014, 06:03 PM
My teammate who was on the national team then still has his frame I think. Pretty cool bikes.

Javaman
10-27-2014, 06:21 PM
I was actually talking to seller about the frame but did not pull the trigger...Now I'm envious. Sure looks awesome!

Kirk Pacenti
10-27-2014, 06:37 PM
There were a few of those floating around Chattanooga for a while, including a composite "superbike". A guy named Merlyn Townley owned them, but he's since moved... pretty neat bikes to see in person though.

Cheers,
KP