PDA

View Full Version : "Nice" bike as a city bike/commuter

pakora
10-27-2014, 11:33 AM
So I'm building up a modern alloy road race frame to replace my old Ultegra 9 Jamis 853 frame. I was thinking about what to do with the frame, as I already have a fendered/rando/whatever bike as well. There's a little demand for these frames I think, because they're nice, but mine's not in amazing visual condition, so I doubt it's worth more than 250 or 300 bucks if that. Nothing to sneeze at, but not enough to motivate me to deal with selling it and then have to get a box and ship a 62cm frame/fork.

As I parked my city bike in my backyard I had a eureka moment. Then I thought - duh, make it your city bike. Throw some fenders on it, and you have a sweet fast commuter. Shifters work fine but are cosmetically thrashed, rear derailleur has rash from a crash... I even have a rear Ksyrium that got dented in a cross race that I wouldn't normally ride... but for a city bike and getting use out of it, sure.

Then I thought of the frame getting dented locked up outside, or the 15 year old carbon fork taking a hit from someone dropping their bike against mine, and I was like :eek: I built up my one speed fixed townie 8 years ago. I like that I started with all quality stuff, and don't have to worry about anything breaking or caring too much if it gets stolen or damaged when it's locked up. (It's a Surly Steamroller, so no chance to simply adapt my current city frame - rear spacing, no cable ends, etc)

What to do?

p nut
10-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Well, if you're not going to sell it, ride it. Get a TT protector and you should be good. I don't think I've ever had any serious damage to any of my bikes from being locked up in the city.

jtakeda
10-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Well, if you're not going to sell it, ride it. Get a TT protector and you should be good. I don't think I've ever had any serious damage to any of my bikes from being locked up in the city.

+1

I think it's more likely to get stolen than damaged from being locked up.

pakora
10-27-2014, 12:58 PM
heh I somehow never really thought about tt protectors being functional but more of an ornamental thing and to protect the paint job, not dents.