PDA

View Full Version : Dura Ace 7800 bottom bracket - running change?

BdaGhisallo
03-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Anyone know about any running changes in the 7800 bottom bracket? I just installed a new one that I got from TotalCycling and noticed that the metal ( alu ) ring / lip around the circumference of the bearing is a good bit wider than on the old bb I took out. It is probably twice as wide.

I wonder if they have changed the bearing slightly, and maybe improved it. I called Shimano USA but they were not aware of any changes. The difference is plain to see and struck me as soon as I pulled it out of the box. I was thinking of sending off this bb to Phil Wood to get the bearings Phil'd, but if shimano have stepped up I may not need to.

Bruce K
03-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Pure speculation but.... Total Cycling may have sent you a European version. I'm not sure why there would be 2 different ones, but I have seen and heard this on other items.

Not speculationg here, but in some cases, the products were considered "gray market" and there were big issues with getting warranty repairs from US distributors.

BTW, I've bought from Total, not bad to deal with, but are their prices a whole lot better these days with the Euro vs the Dollar being what it is?

BK

Argos
03-17-2006, 02:19 PM
The one you recieved is made with Kryptonite to ward off the competitions super-powers.

http://www.greatkrypton.com/superman/metropolis/sights/kryptonite.jpg

Lincoln
03-17-2006, 05:56 PM
BTW, I've bought from Total, not bad to deal with, but are their prices a whole lot better these days with the Euro vs the Dollar being what it is?

BK

I've been doing quite a bit of poking around looking for a bike's worth of stuff, and their prices are quite good. 11speed seems to have slightly better prices on Campy but I haven't seen any of the US sites come close. For Shi*mano I haven't seen anyone close. Doesn't make too much sense to me <shrug>.

I wish they carried Sidi in 1/2 sizes! I wasted a bunch of time last night ordering shoes from Piermont only too get an e-mail today saying it was a mistake and they don't have them in my size :butt: .

The Spider
03-20-2006, 01:13 AM
anyone done the Phil spec'd bearing replacemnt on the BB?

what's the verdict?