PDA

View Full Version : Help...I'm stuck

Keith A
03-17-2006, 09:15 AM
That's what happened this morning as I pulled up to the front door after my ride. My SpeedPlay Zero cleat would not disengage from the pedal!!! Unfortunately, it was on the side that I always clip out of first. So, I roll right up to the front door and start to lean and unclip and I can't get the cleat to release. At this point, I'm going pretty slow and there is no where to turn around -- luckily I was able to grab onto the door frame as my front wheel smacked into the door. My wife must have thought I had gone crazy as she saw most of the action through the window beside the door.

Even after I clipped out of the other side, I still couldn't get the cleat to release. I even sprayed some lubricant along the contact points -- but it wouldn't budge.

Has anyone had this happen before? I keep my pedals/cleats lubricated pretty well and I had no problem unclipping at the various traffic lights along my ride this morning -- which I am thankful as I would have most likely gone down as I typically don't unclip until the last moment and am usually already leaning to that side.

BTW, it was a such a great morning for a ride. Light winds with the air temp in the low 60s...and I am really enjoying my revised Legend.

flydhest
03-17-2006, 09:23 AM
practice track standing and make sure the straps on your shoes can be opened easily :D

Keith A
03-17-2006, 09:27 AM
I actually do practice track standing and try and make it through the red lights without having to unclip -- which is why I am so thankful that this didn't happen at one of these lights. As I track stand as long as I can and often unclip quickly as I start to loose my balance from the track stand.

Tailwinds
03-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Has anyone had this happen before?

I haven't had that happen, but I did have problems clipping into those pedals, no matter how I adjusted the cleat screws. They were too much of a pita imho ymmv. I went back to Speedplay X-series pedals.

bironi
03-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I have never experienced anything like that on my x2's either. Let us know what Speedplay has to say about your problem. You can give them a call, they seem quite responsive.

Byron

Keith A
03-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Amanda -- I've run into that problem as well and a little grease takes care of it. However, after this little incident, I may switch over to SPD-SLs which I have on one of my bikes. I have had no problems with these pedals -- although I like the float on the SpeedPlays and I notice the lack of it duirng the first couples of miles on the SPD-SLs, but after that it is all good...and I don't have to lube the contact areas either.

Kevan
03-17-2006, 09:46 AM
don't it Sandy? When you used to bolt your shoes to the pedals?

Bebops.

bluehorseshoe
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
I don't have speedplays -- but had a similar problem last fall, running SPD-R's, and fell. Luckily, no damage, but the kids in the school bus thought it was pretty amusing.

'Twas probably just worn cleats. It inspired me to switch from those pedals to Looks, however, which I have found to be far smoother in use.

NateM
03-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I have had this happen many times with the x series pedals.This is usually a result from stepping in something before clipping in.All it takes is mud or snow/ice,sand,a small pebble, to lodge in the small area in front of the spring under the metal plate.This will prevent the spring from opening.You have to remove the metal plate on top of the cleat to get to this channel which has become clogged.Clean it out and the spring will move freely again.I dont know if the same can happen with the Zero system but check it out anyway.

Keith A
03-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Well I have the answer to my problem. A piece of the end of the retention spring/clip broke off. This must have occurred during my ride today as I didn't have any problems except for the final unclipping. So I guess it is time for new cleats.

According to SpeedPlay, the suggest replacing the cleats every 3K to 5K miles. How often do you guys/gals replace your cleats? Do other manufactures have similar recommendations?

BTW, here is Shimano's recommendation for replacing their cleats..

Cleat replacement depends on how often you ride and the conditions of the terrain. “Race mileage” riders may need to change their cleats as often as one or two times a year. A good rule of thumb is that cleats should be replaced when there is a change in the release/engagement effort. If the cleat begins to “float” more and releases at a greater angle, inspect the cleat for wear. Eventually, the vertical tab on the cleat that opens the retention mechanism becomes worn and greater effort will be required to disengage.

Serpico
03-18-2006, 07:10 AM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/m4w/142390203.html

Tom
03-18-2006, 07:52 AM
I change them when I notice that my feet seem to float vertically... in other words, the wires are wearing through to the point where there's vertical slop. Also, if the wires seem thin to the point that I think I might break one like you did I change them. It's usually about every 5000 miles or so. Less if I'm not clipping out as much. Maybe I should be scientific and keep track of how many times I clip out each foot so I change them at the same interval every time....

That's it! That's it! I'm going to make a million dollars! I'm going to make a bike computer that includes a clip-out counting feature! I'm gonna be rich!

Keith A
03-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Tom,

Thanks for the input, although it sounds like you are using the X series instead of the Zero's. I had also been noticing some vertical play in the pedal/cleat interface that wasn't there previously. When I took off the cleats last night, I saw that there was a somewhat significant indentation in the adapter plate that fits between the cleat itself and the shoe. This was caused from the downward pressure of the pedal. It appears to me that this in and of itself would allow for some vertical movement.

So I think a good plan is to just change the cleats at the beginning of each year. That is unless I get your clip-in/out computer -- then it will tell me when I need to change my cleats :D