PDA

View Full Version : Do team jersey look out of place on super big riders?

big D
03-17-2006, 09:13 AM
My new bike has been shipped and it it should be at the should today or Monday. Guru is only 15 minutes from the shop but who knows what happens in shipping.

I am looking for jerseys. Ironically I can find high quality bibs from Santini that fit my very large behind but I can never find any jerseys.

Only recently have I seen Santini jerseys in 6XL (european, closer to a 2XL or 3XL) The only proble is they are team jerseys and I want to avoid the poser/sign guy look. I usually wear just plain colour Performance jersey but they are not very comfortable. I have been looking for a wool jersey but nobody makes anything even remotely close to my size. So this leaves me with team jerseys.

I have been looking a simple jerseys like Milram, Regiostorm and Flandria.

Should stick with the no descript bad wicking jersey or become the biggest rolling billboard on 2 wheels

big D

PanTerra
03-17-2006, 09:30 AM
I feel your pain. Usually what I find are the jersey's that were made for euro-type little fellers. :banana: I can't even pull off the poser-look. But i don't wear pro-team kits anyway, nor would I wear any of the color-coded TDF, national or world champion jerseys, but that is just ettiquette. Besides I would be laughed off my team for trying. hehehe

Dr. Doofus
03-17-2006, 09:47 AM
if you are big and strong and confident you can flatten the guys who deride your clothing choices with a dismissive tap from the back of your hand.

if you are pudgy, sensitive, and prone to frequenting donut world to eat away the injuries done to your self-esteem by small children and saucy puppies, you will probably blubber all over yourself when the cool kids make fun of your jersey, get left behind as you pull yourself together, and then buy a new set of wheels to get even.

in any event,

wear what you like

doof like plain jerseys with occasional sharpie accents, or the jerseys of former teams that he now spites and mocks with Underground Man-like irrational exhuberance and self-loathing....

really, its all about what matches your eyes and skin tones

Chad Engle
03-17-2006, 09:50 AM
makes decent looking jerzeys in big sizes. :beer: and more :beer:

Fixed
03-17-2006, 10:00 AM
get what you like bro screw those other cats i.m.h.o. cheers

ti_boi
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Depends on the angle too....and remember ....stripes are slimming....as are patterns.....avoid Dots...and those cheesy 'themed' Jerseys...LOL

PanTerra
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
i would recommend the PI Jerseys. i have a couple of performance Jerseys that are big enough. But my Castelli team kit has the euro-fit and they had to specially make it bigger for me since they run so small. Also check to see if they are club-fit or team-fit. Depending on how big a boy you are will determine availability.

SoCalSteve
03-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I am also a big guy...6' 5 240-250 depending on time of year.

Assos TIR Jerseys do fit and are not "themed". But, they are big $$$.

Also, if oversized is important to you, look into the Mountain bike world. Fox and Pearl Izumi make 2xl that are truly 2xl.

As for the overs sized Euro jerseys, good luck with that. Even a 6xl is probably more like a tight normal US XL. Euro sizing is very far off from US sizing (except the Assos TIR) be careful with that.

Good luck!

Steve

Too Tall
03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Call Boure' Talk to em.

Bradford
03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
I know a big guy that wears a team jersey that makes him look like a tiger. :D

He looks pretty good on his 'effin bike, so I think you will be able to pull it off.

PanTerra
03-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I think I know that guy. He would always pipe in when someone asks if a certain racing wheelset is suitable for really big guys, and he would always say, "they sure are, I rid'em and I am a whopping 170#." LOL

03-17-2006, 12:34 PM
I have had really good luck with Verge sports stuff i have a 3x from them and it is a little big.

I have a wooly from portland cyclewear. that was custom lettered and it is super nice and pretty cheap $90.00

and the team I ride for uses Voler I also have a 3x from them that is aces.

some places to look.

good luck
K

djg
03-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Wearing a pro team jersey over whatever bibs is not the same thing as posing as a pro. If I see a big, ... er, zaftig, rider in a Rabobank shirt I don't think, "hey, who's he fooling, he's not really a pro," any more than I'm inclined to wonder whether a skinny guy with the team kit just got lost on his way to Paris-Nice and wound up in Northern Virginia. Most cycling kit looks kind of stupid no matter who you are. Wear want you want. If you think it looks fine, it's fine. If you think it looks ridiculous, don't let us talk you into acting as if it were otherwise, only to feel sheepish everywhere you go.

William
03-17-2006, 03:52 PM
I know a big guy that wears a team jersey that makes him look like a tiger. :D

He looks pretty good on his 'effin bike, so I think you will be able to pull it off.

He sounds pretty GRRRRRRRREAT!!!! :banana: :D Then again, he could be a frosted flake. ;)

William

Headwinds
03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
I have been looking a simple jerseys like Milram, Regiostorm and Flandria.

Should stick with the no descript bad wicking jersey or become the biggest rolling billboard on 2 wheels

big D

No man! Go with what you like.... Remember, whichever jersey you buy, especially a team jersey, you are supporting the bike industry! I actually like those team jerseys from Euro teams, because most of the time they have companies that do not exist in the USA and I feel I don't have to do free advertising when I ride here, that is.

Cheers!

jerk
03-17-2006, 06:31 PM
the jerk says if you don't fit into a size three jersey, you probably should be wearing a sweatsuit anyway.

jerk

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Wear whatever you please when you ride. If that is totally generic, then fine. If that is totally imitative team kit, then fine. The important thing is that you are riding and keeping yourself fit and doing more to attain that goal than 95% of everyone else in the world and that you are comfortable on your bike.

BBD

William
03-17-2006, 07:11 PM
the jerk says if you don't fit into a size three, you probably should be wearing a wetsuit anyway.

jerk

http://www.unyx.com/Pampers-Cruisers-size-3-148.jpg

William ;)

jerk
03-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Wear whatever you please when you ride. If that is totally generic, then fine. If that is totally imitative team kit, then fine. The important thing is that you are riding and keeping yourself fit and doing more to attain that goal than 95% of everyone else in the world and that you are comfortable on your bike.

BBD

ahmmmm-
95%? somehow the jerk doubts it. the vast majority of this planet would fit fine in a medium cycling jersey. obesity is really only a problem in the developed world and this corner of the developed world in particular.

most people in the world keep fit by "living" and "working" and "eating". the notion that sport and nutrition and health are considered to be "other" and diametrically oppossed and at odds with "life" is purely a disgusting american petty bougeois notion. most people in the world view life as a gestalt thing....they're not riding their bikes to pay for the chocalate donuts they had for breakfest. they just like to ride their bikes, or walk to work or eat a pastry or whatever. this is what is so screwy about thios country and this culture. the jerk blames a lack of culture and finance capitalism....but that's for the the commiepinkoliberalfaggot.com forum.

jerk

Dr. Doofus
03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
your jersey should compliment your eye color and skin tone

full stop

enough about obesity

when will women be given away as prizes again?

oh yeah

the blog is back

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2006, 08:20 PM
. . . between being thin and being fit, just as there is a huge difference between being large and being obese. Our friend William is certainly large, but I would certainly not call him obese. The same could apply to many others I've ridden with. One can be large and very fit. Judging by size alone is a poor way to judge fitness.

Your comments seem so full of disdain . . . for anyone who is larger than a size three . . . for "petty bougeois" American culture . . . even for people who like chocolate donuts . . . and for anyone who rides their bike for fitness--as if we should feel guilty for being fortunate enough to live somewhere we don't have to scramble nonstop just to stay alive.

I stand by my point. Wear whatever you like while you are riding, whether it's a size three or size 6XXX. Just go ride. Or take a walk. Or go for a run. You're doing something positive for yourself. That's good. There's so many people who don't.

BBD

jerk
03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
. . . between being thin and being fit, just as there is a huge difference between being large and being obese. Our friend William is certainly large, but I would certainly not call him obese. The same could apply to many others I've ridden with. One can be large and very fit. Judging by size alone is a poor way to judge fitness.

Your comments seem so full of disdain . . . for anyone who is larger than a size three . . . for "petty bougeois" American culture . . . even for people who like chocolate donuts . . . and for anyone who rides their bike for fitness--as if we should feel guilty for being fortunate enough to live somewhere we don't have to scramble nonstop just to stay alive.

I stand by my point. Wear whatever you like while you are riding, whether it's a size three or size 6XXX. Just go ride. Or take a walk. Or go for a run. You're doing something positive for yourself. That's good. There's so many people who don't.

BBD

disdain? do you want the jerk to change his name to shiny-happy-go-lucky-high-five guy? that wouldn't be any fun now would it?

jerk

Fixed
03-17-2006, 09:29 PM
ahmmmm-
95%? somehow the jerk doubts it. the vast majority of this planet would fit fine in a medium cycling jersey. obesity is really only a problem in the developed world and this corner of the developed world in particular.

most people in the world keep fit by "living" and "working" and "eating". the notion that sport and nutrition and health are considered to be "other" and diametrically oppossed and at odds with "life" is purely a disgusting american petty bougeois notion. most people in the world view life as a gestalt thing....they're not riding their bikes to pay for the chocalate donuts they had for breakfest. they just like to ride their bikes, or walk to work or eat a pastry or whatever. this is what is so screwy about thios country and this culture. the jerk blames a lack of culture and finance capitalism....but that's for the the commiepinkoliberalfaggot.com forum.

jerk
amen bro cheers if you are 30 pounds over weight you are 30 pounds over weight .

DarkStar
03-17-2006, 10:05 PM
I have the same problem finding jerseys that have a proper fit. Most are uncomfortably tight around my chest and arms, too long or too short. Size 5 Italian jerseys are way too tight while a Belgium 5 is too loose. I’ve had some North American made jerseys that had a near perfect fit that were labeled as seize 3. There doesn’t appear to be any standardization among various manufactures or countries.
The one company that I’ve had success with is Sugoi, fit well, with colours that suit my complexion.
Hey big D, about time someone else from my neck of the woods posted here.
Cheers

Tom
03-18-2006, 04:56 AM
Keep 'em coming.

Just remember to add a lot of smilies or acronyms or something. Evidently 25,000 years of developing written language with a vast array of words to choose from so to precisely shade our meaning was a mistake and we really should have stuck with pictograms and grunts.

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2006, 06:30 AM
<<shiny-happy-go-lucky-high-five guy>>

Yes, you're right--as you so often love to point out to the rest of us. That might be a little extreme, but it WOULD be preferable to Mr. "Nothing-but-poorly concealed-contempt-for-anyone-who's-not-like-me" Guy, which is what the rest of us seem to have to put up with from you the rest of the time . . .

Our forum friend is simply making conversation. He's not stringing himself up for you to take cheap shots at . . . but you come back with a remark that obviously implies that he's fat and out of shape, when you have absolutely no evidence for that and it would be incredibly rude to point it out in any context anyway.

I'm all for intelligently expressed, friendly disagreement--it makes for learning and takes advantage of the best the idea of the Internet has to offer. But your approach here on the forum is just way too often sneering and contemptuous and I'm just getting real tired of it.

The guy who started this thread does NOT deserve to be treated like you treated him. Listen to yourself, 'fer Pete's sake. Do you treat Mrs. Jerk like this? Do you treat your "face-to-face" friends like this? Do you treat your customers like this?

BBD

Tom
03-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Sheesh. If team jerseys are what you like, go for it. Nobody'll think the less of you for it.

Dr. Doofus
03-18-2006, 06:53 AM
I want shiny latex old-school Mapei bikini briefs

is that uncool?

big D
03-18-2006, 09:12 AM
First things first, I have been a member of the forum for years and only post every once while. I find this forum a great place to gather knowlodge and a great place to get some great laughs. I am the first to admit that I am well beyond normal for riding a bike. I am more on the build of Larry Allen then Nelson Vails. It never really bothers me when some grown men who are build like 12 girls don't take questions seriously (don't find to many of these guys here on the Serotta forum). I have spent a lot of time in high performance sport, from track and field to football and choose this as my sport of enjoyment and recreation.
I just used to be "oh my god your huge" size but now I just a little larger then that. Back in my prime ( I can't believe am saying that, I'm still pretty young) I use to a machine in the gym, 600lbs squat for reps, 225lbs bench press 25 reps and only just cubby @ 15% body fat. Now things are way different and my love for cycling is going to help get back to being comfortable again.

I can understand "the jerk" acting the way he does because, well he is just a jerk, but most of the response have been great.

I am still think about going with Milram jersey as it has vertical strips which should have a bit of slimming effect ;) . I just noticed that Performance has upgraded their top end jerseys so I might go with these and they are on sale right now.

manet
03-18-2006, 09:20 AM
http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/xxx/Billboard%5B1%5D.jpg

george
03-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Your bike wear jersey, shorts, gloves etc should be a direct reflection of your personallity...what ever makes YOU feel good do it make it happen and never mind everyone elses opinion...remember (no one has ever erected a statue to a critic!)

Tom
03-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Right below that quote in the display I see this:

"It seldom pays to be rude. It never pays to be only half-rude." Norman Douglas

Hmmm... I go with seldom from now on.

manet
03-18-2006, 09:39 AM
(no one has ever erected a statue to a critic!)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/polsky2/Images/polsky5-9-5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/polsky2/polsky5-9-5.asp&h=395&w=456&sz=23&tbnid=YAU5S5RGZguoAM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=124&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djasper%2Bjohns%2Bthe%2Bcritic%2Bsees% 26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Dr. Doofus
03-18-2006, 09:46 AM
can it already

wear what goes with your eyes

if you're fat, lose the gut -- flabby girls lose the walk off every time

Needs Help
03-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Custom jerseys starting at $33 and they guarantee a perfect fit:

http://www.youngoriginals.com/

Dr. Doofus
03-18-2006, 09:51 AM
http://www.garanimals.com/

manet
03-18-2006, 10:15 AM
http://www.garanimals.com/

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.moviemaze.de/filme/1109/poster_lg01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.moviemaze.de/media/poster/1109/1.html&h=1007&w=680&sz=135&tbnid=R_LXTnGEQ_2hxM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=100&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bwoodsman%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Fixed
03-18-2006, 11:47 AM
bro manet where you been bro I missed ya
bro don't get your shorts all knotted up
jerk bro is only makin a commet about our culture open eyes you can see .cheers :beer:

William
03-18-2006, 12:49 PM
The only folks who consider me obese are the Health/Life insurance blokes with their "Ideal Weight" charts. :rolleyes: According to the stats, some one at my height and weight must be obese. It's like they've never heard of muscles. :rolleyes: A live interview sets them straight though. :D

William

PS: Yes, America has the highest percentage of obese people in the world. What do you expect from KFC, soaps, Oprah, Budweiser, cheesy dough pizza, and pills that "melt" away fat????

Hey, Eat Fresh. :banana:

Mud
03-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Here is the rant. My wife and I are 13-15mph riders which is not very fast but at the same time we can handle any hill we have come across. Last summer I sold bikes and people would tell me they were averaging 18-20mph on their rides. My eye says that they were deluding themselves but I am trying to sell bikes etc. so I agree. The people I know who can really ride/race are very fit.

So instead of deluding myself that hiking with the pooch was a substitute for training I broke the bank, bought two Computrainers so the NJ winters did not turn us to mush.

In Oct 2004 my wife had a third hip operation. She is mostly Ti on one side, and it really screws up the Tanita scale measuring body fat. She got into good riding shape last summer but was unhappy with her weight. WWs to the rescue and she is 120#. (5'5")

But she was also kicking my rear end on the CT. My 188 vs her 120 programmed into the machine is a killer. The CT really penalized me for the weight. The stupid machine was telling me the truth-I was too fat and no amount of ego massaging, light wheels, etc was going to change the truth.

So I replaced bagels with oatmeal and followed her WWs regimen and I am 14 lbs lighter with 10 more to go. ( I am 5'10.5" on a good day and I am 64) We ride 4 days a week whether it is outside or on the trainer.

One thing about the trainer, it is really hard work. This afternoon we will ride one of the Kona courses. Funny, I have been there. I thought it was flat. It will be a one hour sprint up and down hills. Our HRM will show 145-160 most of the time. We will burn some calories, wish we were riding outside, and be happy when the agony is over. But, if the weather cooperates and we are lucky enough to ride outside on Sunday, it will be a piece of cake.

Doof, I will never be a size 3 shirt, might get into a 4. I will never be more than a 13-15 mph rider but even now, between training and dieting, the hills are alot easier-they will never be easy.

I don't want to sound like a dope and I usually try not to get too crazy. When I was young I could weigh alot more, smoke 2 packs a day and still win tennis tournaments. Those days are long long gone, life goes on. My wife and I are trying to do the best with what we have and have fun.

Dr. Doofus
03-18-2006, 01:00 PM
whoa, mud

jerk was the one ranting about size 3s

doof was the one saying its all about your eye color and skin tone

its easy to get us confused, though

both charming, devilishly good-looking, charismatic, tall, educated, and the midnight fantasy of dozens -- perhaps three -- of belgian housewives

its hard out here for a pimp

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2006, 01:07 PM
<<My wife and I are trying to do the best with what we have and have fun.>>

That's pretty much my point. Do the best you can, have fun, wear whatever you want to do it. Don't be put off by those who judge you because you don't conform to THEIR idea of what a perfect cyclist should be. You can have just as much fun and get just as much out of a ride after eating a chocolate donut as you can after eating a "pastry."

And big D . . . Go check eBay for some real deals on larger size jerseys. There's lots of sellers on there who grab the overstocks from Europe and sell them here--and those often include lots of larger sizes.

Good luck and good riding! Spring is almost here--Yay! :)

BBD