PDA

View Full Version : PSA ~60cm MX-Leader on ebay:

wildboar
10-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Needs some work, but a good deal maybe...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-original-steel-EDDY-MERCKX-MX-LEADER-frameset-60-5cm-with-fork-/131331253056?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item1e93f3e340

mktng
10-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Darn clean too. Must have been put together on a Friday back in the day :P

bingomck
10-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Is that really a simple repair?

Leoner
10-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Is that really a simple repair?

You need to factor in the repair and a new paint job.

Rouleur88
10-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Any idea as to how much the repair would cost? A range in price? Is this kind of fix best done by a specialty shop like Calfee would be used for a carbon repair?

paredown
10-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Any idea as to how much the repair would cost? A range in price? Is this kind of fix best done by a specialty shop like Calfee would be used for a carbon repair?

I think any decent frame builder could repair that. Bilenky quotes $175 to replace a seat stay, so I think to rebraze could be <$100.

oldpotatoe
10-26-2014, 08:28 AM

Calfee can't even spell 'metal'.

A decent frame builder, like mark Nobilette could do this for probably like $50.

Add a frame paint for about $250 or so...If I were to buy it, I think I'd like it to be stripped then a frame builder to check the rest of the frame.

If it were a 57 or 58, I'd buy it..

ultraman6970
10-26-2014, 08:38 AM
That repair is piece of cake for a builder or even for somebody that knows how to braze and knows what he is doing. From my experience with 1 builder probably less than 100 bucks, its a fairly quick repair tho, not that will take like 2 hours.

The good thing is that is one solid color. Was one of those wacky combinations then we are talking of may of considerable money. One solid color can be fixed finding the matching color maybe think in a fading white -blue bi color or maybe repaired area faded white (or whatever) and then fade other places of the frame just to make it look more natural... Or... maybe make the bike look like the old panasonic team ones, the blue is there already... The problem is to get it for the right price or the project can get expensive and the money wont be seen again back when the frame its sold again.

Ok too long :p

CDollarsign
10-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have any idea what a repaint would cost? Can anyone suggest a good painter in the mid west? Does anyone actually paint frames anymore, seems like most stuff is powder coated? My local frame builder can tackle this.

This also seems like a relatively low stress area, do you think JB weld might work?

Steve in SLO
10-27-2014, 10:12 AM
What would worry me about that frame is that it looks like there is some rust around the edges of the separation. Could there be other such areas?

ultraman6970
10-27-2014, 10:47 AM
That thing has been like that for a while, that's why the thing got rust around, the frame to me looks good, besides at the moment of getting the repair that area needs to be cleaned anyways and the rust will be long gone before the guy starts brazing the stuff back.

Repaint will cost depending on who will do it, some guys ask like 500 bucks for a single color, but this bike in specific is a good candidate for a local painter (wet paint) or maybe in a project for somebody that can do paint jobs himselff at home maybe.

If you want to go to a professional painter the numbers will go up and probably wont even worth to spend that much in it. But full bike paint works can start from 150 and up.

Bike paintjobs are expensive because paint a job is not like painting a darn car door. Way harder than spray a car.

CDollarsign
10-27-2014, 11:20 AM
is JB weld a totally terrible idea?

jmoore
10-27-2014, 11:37 AM
I've got a 60cm MXL in a box in my garage. It's too small for me and doesn't need any repair aside from a few paint touch ups. Of course I'm not putting it on ebay starting at $51 either.

But it is for sale.

likebikes
11-04-2014, 10:37 PM
$500 for a frame with a broken seatstay. wow.