PDA

View Full Version : rain day in the Bay question - worn chain = sluggish rear shifting?

eddief
10-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Run nearly identical 10 speed drive trains on 3 bikes. One of em now has sluggish rear derailleur shifting. That means when going down the cassette the shifting gets funky at the smaller cogs on an 11-34 cassette. I think the cables and housing are fine.

I have adusted cable tension ten ways from Sunday, but still no go so good.

I don't have a chain wear checker, but I think this chain has been on there a while. Is it common for worn chain to cause these symptoms?

skijoring
10-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Cable tension is my guess.
Somewhere it is hanging up, not allowing the chain to drop into the lower cogs.
Under BB routing, rear housing loop...?
Bent/tweaked hanger?

AngryScientist
10-25-2014, 09:05 AM
cable tension could be a problem, but what causes snappy firm downshifts is really spring load on the RD, once the RD spring starts to wear, downshifts can get sluggish. how old is your RD?

eddief
10-25-2014, 09:56 AM
so I am thinking that is not it. Will double check cables and housing...then maybe a new chain.

eddief
10-25-2014, 03:00 PM
and all seemed to running smooth. Just for good luck I greased the cable, (which I almost never do) put it back together, adjusted the barrel, and now seems to be shifting just right in the work stand. Road test manana.

Dead Man
10-25-2014, 03:07 PM
I've had shift problems that ended up being housing I thought was good.... but the problem finally stopped once I changed housing. FWIW.

You can isolate the problem by plucking the cable at the town-tube... On a stand, put the bike in the 11t, then pull the cable by hand and jump up and down. If shifting seems normal, you know the problem lies in your forward housing or shifters; if not, you know the problem is in rear housing or is the der itself.

jtakeda
10-25-2014, 03:11 PM
What's "rain"?

dave thompson
10-25-2014, 06:35 PM
I was going to ask the same question!

eddief
10-25-2014, 06:37 PM
we musta gotta .25 today.

dave thompson
10-25-2014, 06:46 PM
we musta gotta .25 today.

:D Heh. We had 0.000 with none in the forecast until April!:banana:

eddief
10-25-2014, 06:48 PM
ay caramba

:D Heh. We had 0.000 with none in the forecast until April!:banana:

Dead Man
10-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Weather has been absolutely horrible this week. I haven't ridden since Sunday, and I'm a rain rider.

oldpotatoe
10-26-2014, 05:24 AM
Run nearly identical 10 speed drive trains on 3 bikes. One of em now has sluggish rear derailleur shifting. That means when going down the cassette the shifting gets funky at the smaller cogs on an 11-34 cassette. I think the cables and housing are fine.

I have adusted cable tension ten ways from Sunday, but still no go so good.

I don't have a chain wear checker, but I think this chain has been on there a while. Is it common for worn chain to cause these symptoms?

Drag somewhere. Disconnect rder cable, push der up the cogset with your finger while pedaling(in a work stand) and release..does the rder come down the cogset easily? If yes, cable drag somewhere..if not, der hanger or rear der.

Worn chain actually gets more flexible, and easier to go to higher gears(smaller cogs).