PDA

View Full Version : OT: Taking out our rage on our lousy refrigerator

velomonkey
10-24-2014, 04:35 PM
I dunno about you, but the fridge I grew up with was the same fridge my parents had when they sold the house nearly 30 years later.

I purchased a house, lived there for 4 years, no issues with the fridge.

Purchase 2nd house - the GE fridge that was in the house dies after 2 years. Buy a brand new LG fridge. This thing stunk from day 1. Horrible, horrible, horrible design. Sears - horrible retailer. The mag seals would always break - so after paying for them to get repaired I just used duct tape to hold them down. The freezer would leave an omnipresent puddle on our floor. Every week I would have to break apart an inch of ice that built up on the bottom. The side shelves were feeble and broke - though they looked nice.

So after 4 years the compressor went. I simply can't thrust this piece of junk upon someone. And I'm upset it's gonna get disposed of - and LG stinks - and Sears stinks. We get a new fridge on Monday. So between now and Monday myself, my two kids and my wife can whale upon the fridge as much as they want.

Certainly helps and is cheaper than therapy (like riding a bike, but destructive)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3949/14997922314_f531b6cec7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oRjgMu)IMG_5396 (https://flic.kr/p/oRjgMu) by velomonkeys (https://www.flickr.com/people/88287752@N06/), on Flickr

Louis
10-24-2014, 04:37 PM
So what did you get to replace it?

velomonkey
10-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Went to the local appliance store - talked with the guy who was a repairman for 30 years and is now in sales cause he has a bad shoulder. . . .

Spent more than I wanted but got a Electrolux with no dispenser. The tried to deliver today, couldn't do it, so it comes Monday.

We have a 4 year old frigidaire from the same retailer in our basement - got it for $500, no issues (electrolux and frigidaire are the same company - so I hope it's fine).

Anyone got any thoughts or experiences?

Ken Robb
10-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Consumers Union published Consumer Reports and they test many kinds of appliances that they buy in stores like regular people so they aren't supplied with "special" appliances. Besides reporting on performance they also list repair histories by brand. The repair histories are a rather broad-brush anecdotal composite so I think they are not as accurate as the actual test results point out that some "dishwashers" can't really get dishes clean and other revelations.

Louis
10-24-2014, 05:01 PM
I think going with the no-dispenser (I assume you mean in-door) was a good idea - that's just something else to fail.

I wish I had not gotten an ice-maker - I never use mine and it just takes up space in the freezer. I've thought of removing it, but haven't gotten around to it. However, I think most folks do find it convenient, so I wouldn't recommend going without that.

So far so good with my 12 yr old Whirlpool.

Columbus SLX
10-24-2014, 05:02 PM
My experience: At first we were all excited about the Ikea (Whirlpool) Nutid 23 we bought - counter depth, restrained design, and tons of space.

We're on our third ice maker at this point. It's crap. Going to try to warranty the whole thing so I'd be interested in keeping up with this thread.

The other Ikea appliances are fantastic so far (wall oven, induction range), but the fridge just has a design flaw causing the ice unit to dump water on the floor once every 6 weeks or so.

gasman
10-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Good use for a Estwing hammer.

We've had good luck with Whirlpool fridges.

donevwil
10-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Hand-me-down 35-40 y.o. fridge from my 15 year ago ex-gf's parents is still going strong in my bike room. Probably uses energy like a no other, but keeps a more even temp and doesn't freezer burn meats like our sexy stainless 8 y.o Sears in the Kitchen. Have had the Sears fixed once already and the service guy said the same thing as yours. Evidently most all mid-level appliances regardless of brand are crap and made in the same factory, only a very small few still make their own stuff and care about quality.

dogdriver
10-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Nice. A shotgun can also provide good therapy, make sure you're outside an away from innocents when consummating. Failing this, a sledgehammer can give good results... These assuming that you've already exhausted all reasonable repair options. Judging from the pics, however, you're already committed. As an aside, I suppose that you could get all Zen and not allow the 'fridge to get to you, but (again, judging from the pics) you may need to go this route with the next failed appliance.

Louis
10-24-2014, 05:13 PM
One related appliance that I've has all sorts of problems with is the dehumidifiers down in the basement. I don't think I've ever been able to get one to last more than 2 yrs, and some have lasted less than 6 months.

And they use power like crazy.

velomonkey
10-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Yes, on the dispenser I meant in-door. Here is what he showed and explained to me.

In-door ice and water dispensers were designed in the 80s with side by side fridges. The in-door dispenser was mid-level but was in the freezer side (side by side is vertical divide, not horizontal) since it has to make ice to dispense. And then the unit also doe ice for the ice maker.

Fast forward and we now have French door - with fridge on top and freezer on the bottom. The in-door dispenser is in the fridge - since this is the top 2/3s, makes no sense to put it on the bottom. So the fridge is serving mostly as a fridge, but also as a freezer to dispense the ice. Yea, that makes zero sense. Too much inefficient work and a loss of a lot of space.

Essentially, he said to me: and I agree: for any fridge if you want a in door dispenser you need to go side by side (which I didn't want).

velomonkey
10-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Nice. A shotgun can also provide good therapy, make sure you're outside an away from innocents when consummating. Failing this, a sledgehammer can give good results... These assuming that you've already exhausted all reasonable repair options. Judging from the pics, however, you're already committed.

I am committed. I am thinking, no joke, of posting of craigslist - haul it away for fun with a shotgun, but you must have me over for a few slug rounds.

parris
10-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Failing the shotgun route a nice splitting maul might bring some piece(s)...:banana:

vqdriver
10-24-2014, 06:00 PM
gremlins in a household appliance are a pain. too big to buy and try, too expensive to just replace regularly. i totally feel your pain and your method of dealing with it looks like fun. just know that once you get thru that outer finish layer there's probably a lot of lightweight hard foam insulation that seems to disintegrate when you just look at it. stuff from my old freezer vaporized into nasty yellow/brown gritty stuff that gets everywhere. sure don't want to suck that into your lungs.

we've been lucky with our samsung fridge. over ten years now and should probably be replaced. cracked drawers, missing hinge covers, hard water stains, dents from when the kids attack it, etc. but it refuses to die.

Birddog
10-24-2014, 06:18 PM
I have a 6 yr old Frigidaire side by side that failed on day 2 and again 6 mos later with the same problem. it froze the food in the fridge side. The problem was so well known that the repair guy had the $300 part on the truck. It has worked fine for the last 5 years but the ice and water dispenser is a joke. I love that the filters cost $27!! and that is cheaper than many others. I found an online outlet that sells them for $9. You really have to research appliances these days and then hope for the best. There are many crossbreeds out there too, not just Kenmore made by Whirlpool like in the old days.

Went to the local appliance store - talked with the guy who was a repairman for 30 years and is now in sales cause he has a bad shoulder. . . .

Spent more than I wanted but got a Electrolux with no dispenser. The tried to deliver today, couldn't do it, so it comes Monday.

We have a 4 year old frigidaire from the same retailer in our basement - got it for $500, no issues (electrolux and frigidaire are the same company - so I hope it's fine).

Anyone got any thoughts or experiences?

beeatnik
10-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Maybe, get a non-MTV Cribs fridge?

First apartment out of college, I bought a $240 Avanti refrigerator from Home Depot. The smallest full sized fridge they sell/sold. It's in the garage now and still works after 14 years.

Velo, I like your style.

54ny77
10-24-2014, 07:23 PM
That is seriously f'ing awesome. Love it!

FYI, in case you ever want to take out aggression on a tube tv (assuming some of you still have one), be careful and wear protective eyewear. Because if you, for example, hurled an Estwing hammer at a 32" Sony tube tv while standing about 20' away, there's a strong chance that large chunks of glass will hurl past you at unbelievable speeds thanks to the pressure inside.

Or at least that what I'm told might happen....;)

velomonkey
10-24-2014, 07:30 PM
So far, page 2 commenters - I dig your style :bike:

PaulE
10-24-2014, 08:12 PM
We purchased one Viking refrigerator 12 years ago when we moved into a newly constructed house that already had all Viking kitchen appliances but didn't come with a refrigerator. So we figured why not have everything match and bought a Viking fridge. We are now on our fourth Viking refrigerator, keep in mind we only ever bought the first one. I am not permitted to disparage Viking under the terms of a settlement I signed with them. We got fridge #3 to replace #2 when Viking could not produce the new and improved hinges needed for a recall because the doors were falling off these refrigerators and people were getting maimed. #3 had the new and improved hinges and after we got it and felt safe the door on that one did fall off, luckily no one was injured. #4 had the even better hinges but still subsequently had to have even newer and more improved hinges installed. We keep our wits about us when approaching this fridge. None of this is disparaging, it is just the truth. My wife did not sign that settlement, she can tell you how she really feels about Viking.

Tony T
10-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Missed a spot :)

Louis
10-24-2014, 08:36 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/viking_refrigerator.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Viking-Range-Expands-Recall-of-Built-In-Refrigerators-with-Bottom-Freezers/

likebikes
10-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Maybe, get a non-MTV Cribs fridge?

First apartment out of college, I bought a $240 Avanti refrigerator from Home Depot. The smallest full sized fridge they sell/sold. It's in the garage now and still works after 14 years.

This. Never had a problem with any of the fridges i've lived with. Never purchased one, just lived with them. No problems.

Anarchist
10-24-2014, 11:51 PM
We still have the fridge, washer, dryer and oven that were put in the house the day we built it 19 years ago. They all still work and have probably cost a grand total of $1,500 in the 19 years for repairs.

Sadly, I am told we are about to renovate the kitchen. I am not looking forward to what happens from this point forward. The repair guy wants our appliances as he says he can sell them for good $ even today. My attempts at injecting sense into the discussion are failing.

Our washing machine is a Whirlpool, the repair guy says it is the best washer ever made, all modular, and just works. Says he can rebuild one from the ground up in 30 minutes. It is 19 years old and going strong. We live on a septicaemia field and my better half seems determined that we should change it out for something that uses less water. Of course it will only last 3 years.

Progress?

Anarchist
10-24-2014, 11:54 PM
I have a 6 yr old Frigidaire side by side that failed on day 2 and again 6 mos later with the same problem. it froze the food in the fridge side. The problem was so well known that the repair guy had the $300 part on the truck. It has worked fine for the last 5 years but the ice and water dispenser is a joke. I love that the filters cost $27!! and that is cheaper than many others. I found an online outlet that sells them for $9. You really have to research appliances these days and then hope for the best. There are many crossbreeds out there too, not just Kenmore made by Whirlpool like in the old days.

For the most part there two appliance manufacturers these days.

Whirlpool and Electrolux.

Take your pick.

Dr Luxurious
10-24-2014, 11:57 PM
too bad it's not a wash machine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8

(watch it. SERIOUSLY)

oliver1850
10-25-2014, 12:35 AM
I have one from about 1950 out in the barn that I paid $4 for at an auction. If you're really interested I'll go out and see what brand it is, but you will probably be disappointed in the freezer volume. It will hold about 6 ice cube trays and an equal number of tubes of frozen OJ.

The one in the house is a White-Westinghouse. I bought it when I moved back to IL over 25 years ago. I've always wished it was a bit quieter, other than that no issues, no repairs.

Louis
10-25-2014, 12:40 AM
This guy lives off the grid out in the middle of nowhere down in Texas:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/03/10/garden/20110310-TEXAS-slide-LZ2O/20110310-TEXAS-slide-LZ2O-jumbo.jpg

lonoeightysix
10-25-2014, 05:29 AM
sort of OT, but look into surge protection for your large household appliances. you can purchase a receptacle, similar to a GFCI, that protects your equipment from power surges.

Tony
10-25-2014, 09:20 AM
sort of OT, but look into surge protection for your large household appliances. you can purchase a receptacle, similar to a GFCI, that protects your equipment from power surges.

I bought one last month when my 1 year old LG blew a fuse when the power went off and then suddenly on again. An LG repair man wanted $432.00 to replace the panel as the fuse is soldered into the panel. I was told by him that the panel had to be replaced, "that's how it done".
I was able to take the panel off myself and take it to a local elect shop and have clips installed on the panel so I could replace the fuse in the future if this should happen again. Total coat was $15.00 including parts.

54ny77
10-25-2014, 09:35 AM
MY EYES WERE WATERING FROM LAUGHING SO HARD!

Good god that was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

Thanks for the laughs! :hello:

too bad it's not a wash machine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8

(watch it. SERIOUSLY)

roydyates
10-25-2014, 10:17 AM
My 4 yr-old LG fridge no longer stays cold. After an endless idiotic call with LG service, they gave me the name of 3 closest authorized servicemen. However, they are all 50 miles away; none of them serve the Rutland VT area where my fridge is. I called Home Depot (4 miles from my house) where I purchased this fridge, and they refused to recommend any repair service.

I had a similar situation 2 years ago with a 2yr-old Samsung fridge in Maine. Samsung could find nobody in Maine to fix my fridge. Eventually, I sent them the chopped off end of the power cord and they sent me back a full refund of my purchase.

As near as I can modern refridgerators stink!!! The last two fridges I have bought are the plainest whitest most generic whirlpool fridges you can buy. So far they are still functioning, but who knows?

We need Honda to go into the appliance business.

chuckroast
10-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I got letter from my local electric utility a few weeks ago offering me $75 for every working fridge I would let them come pick up.

No way. There are three here at the house. All are over 20 years old (at least). As far as I'm concerned, they are all gonna be here and in use until the day they die.

Ken Robb
10-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Our electricity is so expensive per KW Hour that running an extra fridge (especially older less-efficient ones) is or should be prohibitive for most families. We have had no problems with our 7 year old Kenmore/Whirlpool counter depth side-by-side with ice and water dispenser in the door. My reading confirms that most problems come from ice makers and/or dispensers so folks far from repair services might want to avoid those features when possible. OTOH Kenmore offers terrific repair parts availability and rapid shipping. Our 10-year old dishwasher had a couple of small plastic stops for the top rack become brittle and warped but we easily found the part numbers on-line and they were delivered to us in 3 days. $17 seemed like a lot for 10 grams of plastic but I understand the expense of maintaining slow-moving inventory and appreciate the support provided.