PDA

View Full Version : Shimano RD issue

mdeeds71
10-24-2014, 03:12 PM
All,

I am wrenching on a friends mtb. Equiped with a Deore LX (9spd) and similar or less shifters.

Issue is when releasing tension the rd/chain is not fully releasing. Adding tension is not an issue…just the release.

Two thoughts I have are:
1) Excess friction in the cable…but I changed out the inner cable but not the housing…maybe cable loop by rd a bit too small but it is the same as from new.

2) Due to age and the dirt/corrosion that the rd spring is weak and is not strong enough…

This is his spouses bike and it was a mess!!! but cleaned up well and functional after adding new cables, brake pads, tires/tubes/tape…etc…

One other issue is the pitting on the races but I will let that one go at this time as parts are bit harder to find.

Thoughts?

kramnnim
10-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Could be either, or both. Sticky sports drink drips in the BB cable guide has messed with my shifting in the past...

ultraman6970
10-24-2014, 04:12 PM
To me looks like friction or that the lever has some junk inside and needs to be cleaned. Sticks.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2014, 06:58 AM
All,

I am wrenching on a friends mtb. Equiped with a Deore LX (9spd) and similar or less shifters.

Issue is when releasing tension the rd/chain is not fully releasing. Adding tension is not an issue…just the release.

Two thoughts I have are:
1) Excess friction in the cable…but I changed out the inner cable but not the housing…maybe cable loop by rd a bit too small but it is the same as from new.

2) Due to age and the dirt/corrosion that the rd spring is weak and is not strong enough…

This is his spouses bike and it was a mess!!! but cleaned up well and functional after adding new cables, brake pads, tires/tubes/tape…etc…

One other issue is the pitting on the races but I will let that one go at this time as parts are bit harder to find.

Thoughts?

Disconnect rder wire.while pedaling in the stand, push the rder up the cogset and release..does it come all the way down? If yes, not the rder, but the inner wire, housing, drag somewhere. Could also be the shifter..fix with 'STI Repair Kit', flush with WD-40, then spray lube.

If it does not come down..could be the rear der or a bent der hanger.