PDA

View Full Version : So, I almost got killed last night.

buck-50
10-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Riding home from work. Got stuck at the office later than I'd like, ended up riding home in the dark. At a weird-ish intersection in a really quiet neighborhood on a road where bike traffic probably outnumbers car traffic 5-1, some idiot blew a stop sign and was driving in the wrong lane.

I was also in that lane.

He saw me, swerved at the last minute, I swerved as much as I dared on wet pavement and we missed each other by inches.

In the minutes that passed after the near miss, I was blaming myself- I wasn't wearing anything reflective, I forgot my lights, etc.

Then, riding through the same intersection this morning I realized that the driver was at fault pretty much 100%.

He blew through a stop sign.

He was driving on the wrong side of the road.

If I'd been in a car, it would have been a head on collision.

So now I'm kind of mad. Because my first instinct is that I've done something wrong but the reality is, 99.9% of bad encounters I've ever had with cars, it's because they weren't thinking, they weren't paying attention, they weren't looking where they were going.

But we still get blamed, every time. Pretty sure that right now this guy is telling all his friends about the a-hole cyclist who shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Louis
10-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear that you're fine.

Do you have a plan to improve the likelihood of drivers seeing you the next time you have to work late? At this time of year the sun sets earlier and earlier every day...

MattTuck
10-24-2014, 11:29 AM
I guess if your first instinct was to blame yourself, you're not a narcissist, so that's a good thing! :banana:

Driver was probably on drugs or something. Glad you weren't hurt. Sounds like normally you have additional protection, which is good.

Life is fragile when you're dealing with 2000 pound metal battering rams...

ultraman6970
10-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Good you are ok.

mister
10-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Matttuck the driver was more likely to be on their phone than on drugs.

You cant avoid all these people all the time. Just be glad it wasnt worse.

buck-50
10-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Do you have a plan to improve the likelihood of drivers seeing you the next time you have to work late? At this time of year the sun sets earlier and earlier every day...

this morning I realized that it wouldn't have mattered if I'd been in a car with my brights on, the guy blew a stop sign and was on the wrong side of the road.

I think he was trying to play street racer.

jlwdm
10-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Glad you are okay and it sounds like it was his fault. BUT, riding with a light could have made a difference or would in most instances.

I ride at night a bit, and if for some rare reason a light is no longer working I am on the sidewalk or off the side of the road if any cars are around.

Jeff

MattTuck
10-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Matttuck the driver was more likely to be on their phone than on drugs.

You cant avoid all these people all the time. Just be glad it wasnt worse.

Numbers to back it up? 2007 National Roadside Safety study by the NHTSA found that 11% of day time, and 14.4% of night time drivers tested positive for drugs on an oral fluid test.
source. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEgQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2FDOT%2FNHTSA%2FTra ffic%2520Injury%2520Control%2FArticles%2FAssociate d%2520Files%2F811175.pdf&ei=FYBKVPiYCMbt8QGerIDYDw&usg=AFQjCNHdk7yqHCslF6l2T6kBZUxHX8Kthw&sig2=kjAIFI6Rb9sxxGYADteMJQ&bvm=bv.77880786,d.b2U&cad=rja)

Note that not all of those indicate impairment, but with more than 10% of cars being driven by someone with some level of drugs in their system, it isn't something to be dismissed casually. I have major concerns about people on their phones while driving, but I haven't seen a study yet that indicates how prevalent it is... and while a phone user may use their phone intermittently on a drive, the hope is that the vast majority of their time spent driving isn't impaired by distraction. Contrast that with someone chemically impaired -- 100% of the drive is at high risk.

I'm as worried as anyone about the 2-4 seconds it might take a texting driver to become distracted and hit me, but I'm equally concerned about people being distracted by pets on their lap, eating a cheese burger, drunk and drugged persons behind the wheel, etc.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Yup, as cyclists, all we can do is ride very defensively, obey the rules of the road, add some luck...go ride.

d_douglas
10-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Glad you are safe! Yes, it's jungle out there. This has been stated before, but riding with a light at all times is critical. I won't go 'safety-nazi' on you, but ...

I kind of fell upon a generator hub setup when buying a wheel set, and it has been a revelation. No charging batteries, no forgetting the light at work - it always works and is always with you. It is an expensive investment to start (though mine is a basic shimano hub and B+M light) but it sure saves headaches.

I'm a convert.

elong8
10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Glad you made it

Mr. Pink
10-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Numbers to back it up? 2007 National Roadside Safety study by the NHTSA found that 11% of day time, and 14.4% of night time drivers tested positive for drugs on an oral fluid test.
[

Yes, I have been tested many a time for drugs, and know many others that have, too. :mad:

Kind of a ridiculous study. You do know that many drugs stay in the system long after they have any sort of effect on the mind and body, right? I'd be a whole lot more concerned about alcohol use, but, hey, that stuff is legal, right?

Oh, and to the OP, please, wear a light. There are many out there that are very affordable and easy to carry when needed. Now that it's getting dark on both ends of my commute, I am always stunned at the people who insist on jogging and biking on busy roads in dark clothing and no lights. A few days ago it was type A mom pushing her super duper baby carriage in the dark. good lord.

buck-50
10-24-2014, 12:53 PM
I definitely agree that I shoulda brought lights- that's definitely on me and it could have helped...

I think the bigger issue I'm trying to figure out is how a major fault by a driver is always overlooked in favor of a smaller fault by cyclists (or motorcyclists, pedestrians, dogs, deer, houses, etc.)

enr1co
10-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Glad you're OK and are here to write about this- always a good sober reminder to never let the guard down.

redir
10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Driver was probably on drugs or something.

Or quite possibly intexticated, or both!

Get some lights man and chalk this close call up to a learning experience. Glad you made it! IT would not have been your fault but as the saying goes it's better to be wrong then dead right.

TBDSeattle
10-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Yup, as cyclists, all we can do is ride very defensively, obey the rules of the road, add some luck...go ride.

What OldPotatoe said +1. I'm a longtime reader, infrequent contributor, but I'm beginning to really like OldPotatoe.

I've run the full gamut with cars, from being afraid of them, to being a touring cyclist and completely accustomed to them, to being a messenger and being in constant conflict with cars/taxis/busses. Today I'm a rec rider and commuter (when I'm not working from home).

As I've aged, mellowed, and matured, I've let go of my anger, my fear and my sense of outrage. Today I ride defensively, I use *good* lights, and I let go of being "right" or "wrong." I focus on coming home to my lovely wife every day, without being smashed by a "right" or "wrong" car.

I simply don't care who is at fault, I take my own intense pleasure from the bike and let go of everything else.

I am so glad to hear that you are safe. I hope you continue to be safe, and maximize your chances of staying safe.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-24-2014, 01:29 PM
............... but I'm beginning to really like OldPotatoe.

As I've aged, mellowed, and matured, I've let go of my anger, my fear and my sense of outrage.

I simply don't care who is at fault, I take my own intense pleasure from the bike and let go of everything else.

Post of the day!

mister
10-24-2014, 01:37 PM

source. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEgQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2FDOT%2FNHTSA%2FTra ffic%2520Injury%2520Control%2FArticles%2FAssociate d%2520Files%2F811175.pdf&ei=FYBKVPiYCMbt8QGerIDYDw&usg=AFQjCNHdk7yqHCslF6l2T6kBZUxHX8Kthw&sig2=kjAIFI6Rb9sxxGYADteMJQ&bvm=bv.77880786,d.b2U&cad=rja)

Note that not all of those indicate impairment, but with more than 10% of cars being driven by someone with some level of drugs in their system, it isn't something to be dismissed casually. I have major concerns about people on their phones while driving, but I haven't seen a study yet that indicates how prevalent it is... and while a phone user may use their phone intermittently on a drive, the hope is that the vast majority of their time spent driving isn't impaired by distraction. Contrast that with someone chemically impaired -- 100% of the drive is at high risk.

I'm as worried as anyone about the 2-4 seconds it might take a texting driver to become distracted and hit me, but I'm equally concerned about people being distracted by pets on their lap, eating a cheese burger, drunk and drugged persons behind the wheel, etc.

I dont care what the numbers say. I know what i see and as far as im concerned a careless driver is a careless driver. Doesnt matter if they're texting or wasted.
I can say for sure though. I pay attention when driving and i see so many people on their handheld devices. Or reading the paper. Or doing makeup. Or eating a burger.

I see that stuff every single time i drive.

Ps. I got lucky there was a guy walking when i got hit. You wanna guess what he yelled to the lady right after i hit the ground.
Get off your phone.

makoti
10-24-2014, 01:52 PM
i see so many people on their handheld devices. Or reading the paper. Or doing makeup. Or eating a burger.

Or playing a harmonica. Really. About a month ago. Both hands. Getting some vibrato, I guess.

druptight
10-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Or playing a harmonica. Really. About a month ago. Both hands. Getting some vibrato, I guess.

Doing the crossword puzzle & reading a book are 2 of my favorites. I'd say looking down into the cars while on my morning commute 3 out of 5 people are looking at their phones. Not exaggerating.

Seramount
10-24-2014, 02:36 PM
...3 out of 5 people are looking at their phones.

on Jan 1, the City of Austin is going to outlaw the use of all hand-held devices while a vehicle is in motion.

wanna guess what impact that will have?

hint: it'll be the same as the 3-ft passing ordinance...

djg
10-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Mad is fine, but however much the other guy was at fault . . . heck, it's good to be alive isn't it?

Glad you're ok.

Ride safe.

OtayBW
10-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Riding home from work. Got stuck at the office later than I'd like, ended up riding home in the dark.

In the minutes that passed after the near miss, I was blaming myself- I wasn't wearing anything reflective, I forgot my lights, etc.

But we still get blamed, every time. Pretty sure that right now this guy is telling all his friends about the a-hole cyclist who shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.

I hate to play the ashhat here, but my first impression was that - yes - maybe you shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. I make no apology for the driver, but you couldn't have left work on time, in the light, and come back later - or worked late at home or something? Hardly seems worth it to be riding home in the dark with no reflective stuff and no lights.

buck-50
10-24-2014, 05:40 PM
I hate to play the ashhat here, but my first impression was that - yes - maybe you shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. I make no apology for the driver, but you couldn't have left work on time, in the light, and come back later - or worked late at home or something? Hardly seems worth it to be riding home in the dark with no reflective stuff and no lights.

Could I have left work and come back? nope. Also, you aren't being an asshat. I asked myself a lot of the same questions.

I didn't say I didn't have anything reflective- I did. Bands around my ankles, trim on jacket, not the greatest but not invisible.

I think the big thing it taught me (besides bring your goddamned lights this time of year) is that I'd kind of gotten complacent- stopped looking at every car as a potential killer.

I was being complacent. I didn't think, "Hey, maybe I should take a cab" or even "Hey I should really make sure I have my lights today" because this has been a really awesome year for bike/car interactions in my town. It's late october and cars are still stopping at MUT crossings, almost no stories of bike/car accidents, just feeling safe. Which is apparently dangerous. And my ride home is 65% MUT, 25% roads with more bike traffic than car traffic, and the remaining 10% well lit and well marked. Like I said, feeling safe.

jlwdm
10-24-2014, 07:10 PM
?.

I think the big thing it taught me (besides bring your goddamned lights this time of year) is that I'd kind of gotten complacent- stopped looking at every car as a potential killer.

I have never thought of a car as a potential killer. I would not ride if I thought that way. I try to be considerate of others when I ride. This means taking routes where I will not hold up traffic, among other things. No fear ever though.

Jeff

buck-50
10-24-2014, 09:18 PM
I have never thought of a car as a potential killer. I would not ride if I thought that way. I try to be considerate of others when I ride. This means taking routes where I will not hold up traffic, among other things. No fear ever though.

Jeff

So where exactly was I being inconsiderate? I treat cars as potentially dangerous because they are. My bike and I weigh 230 pounds on a bad day. A car weighs 3300 or more. It's potentially lethal because 3300 pounds of anything piloted by someone who isn't really paying attention has the ability to kill you.

Treating cars as potentially lethal doesn't mean cowering in the dark or being afraid, it means understanding that they can be very dangerous.

R3awak3n
10-24-2014, 09:32 PM
glad you are ok and that is the most important thing.

I want every car driver to be on a bike for a week before they get their drivers licenses. Should be mandatory so they can understand where cyclists are coming from and how you should be more careful or you can easily kill someone that is just like you trying to go from point A to point B.

Before I started cycling a lot and commuting pretty much everyday by bike I had a different perspective of things and now I watch out much more and look for things that I did not used to. From looking at my mirror before opening the door but also to make sure I am not cutting someone off when turning right (specially when there is a share bike lane, most likely there will be someone there), slowing down my speed in a heavy bike/pedestrian zone, ect...

Things get even crazier when someone almost happens to you, puts things in prespective. ridding home yesterday in the rain and a door opens right in front of me, hit the brakes and managed to have been aware enough (and some luck) to not get doored. I was thinking about all the way home.

SlackMan
10-24-2014, 09:44 PM
While I know it was likely very scary, glad to hear you're okay.

It's not a panacea or magic impenetrable shield, but today was the first day that I commuted with a front light -- 850 lumens flashing (Cygolite Expillon 850*) in daylight. I had been riding with a rear light for some time now. Normally at about a quarter of the cross streets a driver pulls right into my path or makes a left turn in front of me, or about three or four near collisions per trip. Today with the light, there was a very noticeable difference in that zero cars pulled in front of me / cut me off. I know it won't protect me from a drunken or drugged or totally distracted driver, but I'm definitely a convert.

*If anyone is interested, Modern Bike has it for $110 on sale.

pbarry
10-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear about the near-miss and glad you're OK. Get some lights and reflective gear already! :eek: No excuse for not having it--blaming the driver doesn't wash, and would not in court. God forbid it went that way.

Davist
10-25-2014, 05:15 AM
Glad you're OK.

I was involved in an accident earlier this month, while commuting to our 6AM coffee club ride in the dark. I had a headlight and blinky, hi viz clothes, but with people walking dogs with LED flashlights, the truck (pickup) driver didn't see me (or perhaps distinguish me from a dog walker), and rolled through a stop sign.

I was able to brake hard enough (flat section so probably about 20mph) to avoid getting T-boned (and probably killed) but hit the side of the pickup full force. Bent the bars, ruined the fork etc. I hurt my shoulder, black eye, but happy to be here.

I am choosing not to ride in the dark. I think my setup was invisible from the side and indistinguishable from the front from a dog walker with flashlight (therefore speed was hard to judge)

As above, no ill will toward the driver, he stayed, called 911, etc, just ruined most of my riding month.

soulspinner
10-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Doing the crossword puzzle & reading a book are 2 of my favorites. I'd say looking down into the cars while on my morning commute 3 out of 5 people are looking at their phones. Not exaggerating.

Same here. The percentage of under 30s on their phone while driving in my county that Ive seen is astounding...........and I hate to say it but its 2 to 1 females

unterhausen
10-25-2014, 09:34 AM
wow, sorry to hear about your accident. Side visibility is why I wear a helmet light. Around here, nobody stops for stop signs unless they have to. At night they are looking for headlights, and a bike light doesn't really register and they never stop. So instead, they get to look into my helmet light. Same issue is why I don't ride as far right as I might otherwise when there is cross traffic with stop signs. They just don't see a bicycle, I swear some of these people are blind and only see large objects.

jlwdm
10-25-2014, 01:07 PM
So where exactly was I being inconsiderate? I treat cars as potentially dangerous because they are. My bike and I weigh 230 pounds on a bad day. A car weighs 3300 or more. It's potentially lethal because 3300 pounds of anything piloted by someone who isn't really paying attention has the ability to kill you.

Treating cars as potentially lethal doesn't mean cowering in the dark or being afraid, it means understanding that they can be very dangerous.

Enough. You seem to think it is okay to ride at night without lights. I don't.

Jeff

mack
10-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Happy to hear you made it home safely buckshot.....
I've been caught like that before and it is a little unnerving to go out on the road feeling unseen, puts your senses on high-alert, a bit like being naked at a pta meeting, what!?

Anyway, I'd recommend you let your inner 'boyscout' come out and save the day, it always feels good to pull out that simple gizmo, you've tucked away in your pack, be it a small blinky lite, or rain gear item, or hat, that, appropriately, makes the remainder of your journey more comfortable given the circumstance at hand.

Meaning well here and super glad you're ok.
BTW, thanks again for the DA brakes, put to good use on an old steel frame.
cheers -mack