PDA

View Full Version : Go play on the freeway

alessandro
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
You know how there are:
cyclists who practice vehicular cycling, and
people who ride bikes only on bike paths and sidewalks
people who wear orange vests with a mirror on their glasses and a flag on an 8-foot white pole, and
people who mostly color between the lines, but run stop signs and lights when there's no cars coming, and
people who ride like bike messengers.

Then there is this group, who seem to think the 10 is a good way to get to the Santa Monica pier. :eek:

http://vimeo.com/109284863

vqdriver
10-23-2014, 02:53 PM
yep. those are the same idiots that are pushing me towards the trails.

45K10
10-23-2014, 02:55 PM
That video is testing my credo of only writing positive comments :confused:

vqdriver
10-23-2014, 03:00 PM
no need. call a spade a spade.

la is full of these hipster wannabe meetup groups. ride your bike in a "kewl new way". ride at night. ride with glow sticks. ride at rush hour. and i guess ride on the freeway.

i got stuck behind one of those midnight rides. freaking maddening. something like 30-40 riders on road, hybrids, ss, cruisers, etc all following a lead bike pulling a trailer with a massive soundsystem blasting music down the boulevard. could have been fun, but they didn't have to take up 3 out of 3 lanes and weaving in and out of alleys and sidestreets. midnight riddaz, ghost riders, whatever hipster supercool name they put on their little mob. the point of all these clubs is to be different in a way that can only piss off the general public.

Lewis Moon
10-23-2014, 03:13 PM
A$$hats. Nothing makes people disrespect you more than acting like a bunch of childish hoodlums. Just what the cycling community needs. Guaranteed: one or two Rob Fords were created during that ride.
God I sound old.

54ny77
10-23-2014, 03:20 PM
zero sympathy if they got doored riding illegally around traffic, t-boned while blowing through lights, or blown off the freeway by a gust from a semi passing within a hair.

and yes, i sound old.

if that's the new "cool," well, even i didn't do stupid stuff like that as a kid, and i did some pretty stupid stuff.

sandyrs
10-23-2014, 03:26 PM
zero sympathy if they got doored riding illegally around traffic, t-boned while blowing through lights, or blown off the freeway by a gust from a semi passing within a hair.

and yes, i sound old.

if that's the new "cool," well, even i didn't do stupid stuff like that as a kid, and i did some pretty stupid stuff.

I'm 23 and have about as negative an attitude toward those riders as I can conceive of a person having... I can't imagine more than a very small segment of cycling culture feels differently.

You don't sound old, you sound reasonable!

clyde the point
10-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Must be nice to ride where the sun shines all the time.....right on Your flat, dead a$$.

Jgrooms
10-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Someone who knows those kits should ID the riders & put names to this crap.

vqdriver
10-23-2014, 03:56 PM
names are given on the link.
people like this don't ever think they're wrong.

Camera Man: Jason Rivera
instagram: @obviousisme

1st- Willo (Wolfpack Hustle)
2nd- Tony Z (Unknown Bike Co.)
3rd- Jason Rivera( Pure Fix Cycles)

Jgrooms
10-23-2014, 04:13 PM
names are given on the link.

people like this don't ever think they're wrong.

Camera Man: Jason Rivera

instagram: @obviousisme

1st- Willo (Wolfpack Hustle)

2nd- Tony Z (Unknown Bike Co.)

3rd- Jason Rivera( Pure Fix Cycles)

Well if they are legit clubs, then those in charge of those clubs should drop these riders from the team.

HenryA
10-23-2014, 05:15 PM
When they get run over, about all anyone can say is "they had it coming".

beeatnik
10-23-2014, 05:19 PM
no need. call a spade a spade.

la is full of these hipster wannabe meetup groups. ride your bike in a "kewl new way". ride at night. ride with glow sticks. ride at rush hour. and i guess ride on the freeway.

i got stuck behind one of those midnight rides. freaking maddening. something like 30-40 riders on road, hybrids, ss, cruisers, etc all following a lead bike pulling a trailer with a massive soundsystem blasting music down the boulevard. could have been fun, but they didn't have to take up 3 out of 3 lanes and weaving in and out of alleys and sidestreets. midnight riddaz, ghost riders, whatever hipster supercool name they put on their little mob. the point of all these clubs is to be different in a way that can only piss off the general public.

You're wrong.

They're not hipsters. At least not in 2014.

The majority of these kids/adults don't own cars (and if they can spend their 20s riding and not driving, better for me when I drive). Anyway, would you prefer to have some of these cyclists tagging public space or loafing around in front of liquor stores?

Vientomas
10-23-2014, 05:58 PM
1st: http://wolfpackhustle.com/track-team-a/

2nd: http://www.unknownbikes.com/tony/

3rd: https://www.purefixcycles.com/pages/pure-fix-team

In my opinion, the behavior of these guys is a disservice to the cycling industry and to cyclists in general. As a responsible cyclist, I would hate for someone to ascribe their behaviors to me and other responsible cyclists. The lengths that the cycling community as a whole undertakes to project an image of lawful and responsible sharing of the roads is totally undermined by these fools. I imagine that every driver who witnessed their ridiculous acts now hates cyclists. Nice going guys.

Peter P.
10-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Those girls couldn't even perform a decent pushup.

BumbleBeeDave
10-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Asshats on parade.

:crap:

BBD

Jgrooms
10-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Email the pres at Purefix. I did.

rustychisel
10-23-2014, 06:10 PM
asshats on parade.

Bbd

+ 1

beeatnik
10-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Email the pres at Purefix. I did.

Hahahahahahahahah

Sorry about that...

Anyway, this video and the attention here will help Purefix double their sales for the week. Purefix has decent penetration at bigger shops in LA but they don't have the street cred of brands such as Unknown, Aventon and, even, State.

State Bicycle Co invested in sponsoring a few riders who came out to LA and raced unsanctioned events. They've received a good ROI.

These "edits" are gold to "fixie" brands.

Jgrooms
10-23-2014, 06:17 PM
You're wrong.

The majority of these kids/adults don't own cars (and if they can spend their 20s riding and not driving, better for me when I drive). Anyway, would you prefer to have some of these cyclists tagging public space or loafing around in front of liquor stores?

Loafing in front of liquor stores.

shovelhd
10-23-2014, 06:19 PM
There are race rides like that all over the country. It's not a hipster or SoCal thing.

Cicli
10-23-2014, 06:26 PM
More chlorine in the gene pool please.

Vientomas
10-23-2014, 06:27 PM
You're wrong.

Are those my only two options?

If so, tagging and loafing. Get off your bike and stop pissing motorists off.

beeatnik
10-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Are those my only two options?

If so, tagging and loafing. Get off your bike and stop pissing motorists off.

You've never driven in LA, have you?

Jgrooms
10-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Hahahahahahahahah

Sorry about that...

Anyway, this video and the attention here will help Purefix double their sales for the week. Purefix has decent penetration at bigger shops in LA but they don't have the street cred of brands such as Unknown, Aventon and, even, State.

State Bicycle Co invested in sponsoring a few riders who came out to LA and raced unsanctioned events. They've received a good ROI.

These "edits" are gold to "fixie" brands.

Really? You think the demo here is going to rush out and "double" sales based on this thread discussing a video of a bunch of twinks riding like asshats? Maybe some useless clicks is about it.

gdw
10-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Will we have to suffer through another one of those whiney threads bemoaning the behavior of "cagers" when one of these asshats gets squashed?

beeatnik
10-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Really? You think the demo here is going to rush out and "double" sales based on this thread discussing a video of a bunch of twinks riding like asshats? Maybe some useless clicks is about it.

If this demographic is aware of the video, imagine the traction with the intended audience. To paraphrase a common macroeconomic formula, for every 50-year-old filled with disdain, there will be 3 kids who will want a Purefix bike.

vqdriver
10-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Asshats on parade.

BBD

yep. i suppose that's all there is to say about it really.

bcroslin
10-23-2014, 07:25 PM
here we go.... the weekly paceline 2 min's of hate.

cinema
10-23-2014, 07:47 PM
shameful. i know someone who rides with one of those 'groups' but thankfully they're not in the vid but i can't tell for sure.

alessandro
10-23-2014, 08:08 PM
here we go.... the weekly paceline 2 min's of hate.

Whassamattaforyou? This is becoming a refrain with you.

Those girls couldn't even perform a decent pushup.

Peter P. nails the critique. :bike:

pbarry
10-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Not heroic just because it's on video.

Gummee
10-23-2014, 08:11 PM
You've never driven in LA, have you?

This

Motorcycles lane share all the time in SoCal. Its nothing new. What's 'new' is are the cyclsts doing it.

I know I've been on the moto sharing lanes thru San Diego and LA thinking that its a shame bicycles can't ride here too 'cause they'd be just about as fast as I am getting thru traffic. Its only when things speed up that the cyclists would have issues.

Y'all from elsewhere really don't have much of a clue about LA traffic. The trip back from San Fran on my new-to-me KTM 640A put me in LA at 11-12 at night.

Gridlock as far as I could see. ...So I jumped in the 'moto lane' between 1 and 2 and continued on my merry way. Passed many many cars stuck in traffic that night lemme tell ya!

M

bcroslin
10-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Whassamattaforyou? This is becoming a refrain with you.

Because these threads are predictable and boring. Someone posts some outrageous video, story, photo of cyclists doing dumb things and then sits back and waits for the hate to come seething through the keyboards.

Look, we all get that there are people out there who do dumb things and some of them are cyclists so why the daily reminders? This board and it's participants is at its best when it's CELEBRATING cycling. What difference does posting this video make to anyone here other than to raise the blood pressure of a group of grouchy old guy's?

rustychisel
10-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Because these threads are predictable and boring. Someone posts some outrageous video, story, photo of cyclists doing dumb things and then sits back and waits for the hate to come seething through the keyboards.

Look, we all get that there are people out there who do dumb things and some of them are cyclists so why the daily reminders? This board and it's participants is at its best when it's CELEBRATING cycling. What difference does posting this video make to anyone here other than to raise the blood pressure of a group of grouchy old guy's?

All true, but then again, people post links to news stories of another cyclist being mowed down.

Oh yeah, we know, it happens all the time, sometimes they're so painful to read I really don't wanna.

My best advice, as always, is 'don't click that button'.

Oh, and as a poor response, I'd say we all occasionally need a reminder of how badly people can behave. These guys are dickheads, pure and simple, but unlike some, I don't wish ill will upon them. Maybe just maybe one or two of them will read this thread and think 'Yeah, I'm being a dickhead'.

Jgrooms
10-23-2014, 08:59 PM
This

Motorcycles lane share all the time in SoCal. Its nothing new. What's 'new' is are the cyclsts doing it.

I know I've been on the moto sharing lanes thru San Diego and LA thinking that its a shame bicycles can't ride here too 'cause they'd be just about as fast as I am getting thru traffic. Its only when things speed up that the cyclists would have issues.

Y'all from elsewhere really don't have much of a clue about LA traffic. The trip back from San Fran on my new-to-me KTM 640A put me in LA at 11-12 at night.

Gridlock as far as I could see. ...So I jumped in the 'moto lane' between 1 and 2 and continued on my merry way. Passed many many cars stuck in traffic that night lemme tell ya!

M

Goes quite a bit beyond simple
lane sharing.

Jgrooms
10-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Difference? Well its now in front of the pres of the company who has placed their name and logo upon a jersey worn by one of these tools.

alessandro
10-23-2014, 09:09 PM

I do not get your assertion that the reaction represents self-loathing. I sometimes feel vulnerable when I ride, and that irresponsible cyclists give us all a bad name, but I don't hate myself for it.

I posted it because I thought it was so far outside my own experience, and perhaps that of others, that it was worth seeing what kind of bat-s**t crazy stuff the kids are up to these days. Who would be so crazy to ride on the freeway and then document it, with their own names in the vid?

I think it's interesting to see what people are doing on bikes, good and bad. The Wolfpack Hustle (some of the participants in the video) is the same group that used to organize a clandestine predawn ride on the route of the LA Marathon, before the race started; it's much like the one in Boston. A year or two ago they got the race organizers and the cops to allow them to ride it legitimately.

Oh, and get off my lawn.;)

velomonkey
10-23-2014, 11:11 PM
So after watching these 'guys' do pushups and then having to hear that god awful music coupled with the atrocious edits my only question would be. . . . .

Does this ride ever go fast?????

BOOM goes the dynamite!!!!!! :hello:

Engine11
10-24-2014, 12:11 AM

In my opinion, the behavior of these guys is a disservice to the cycling industry and to cyclists in general. As a responsible cyclist, I would hate for someone to ascribe their behaviors to me and other responsible cyclists. The lengths that the cycling community as a whole undertakes to project an image of lawful and responsible sharing of the roads is totally undermined by these fools. I imagine that every driver who witnessed their ridiculous acts now hates cyclists. Nice going guys.

1st guy, willow didn't take the freeway. you should delete him in the list.

Louis
10-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Whatever.

Doesn't look like a terribly fun place to ride, with or without the traffic; but then I doubt anyone would bother watching if I posted a video of me dragging my sorry a$$ around the much nicer roads I typically ride.

Nags&Ducs
10-24-2014, 01:01 AM
What a bunch of douchebags. All of them rode Shimano. No excuse for that.:eek::banana:;)

Seriously though, it seems to me that what we have here is a few roadies trying to be hipster, or vice versa. Still a douchery thing to douche!

cwayne
10-24-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure if the reason they chose that music is because it's copyright free?? The music does give the impression that they are going very fast but how fast are they really going??? Either way the music sucks.

marinoni62
10-24-2014, 12:09 PM
well if they want to use the highway they should be part of traffic. pass on the left, change lanes, wave when you pass motorist. this guy does
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7_Fq56g2c

45K10
10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
well if they want to use the highway they should be part of traffic. pass on the left, change lanes, wave when you pass motorist. this guy does
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7_Fq56g2c

At least the music is better in this one, I don't really have a problem with this as much as with the other video.

Stupid? yes but not really endangering anyone else except his crazy self.

tumbler
10-24-2014, 02:05 PM
I posted it because I thought it was so far outside my own experience, and perhaps that of others, that it was worth seeing what kind of bat-s**t crazy stuff the kids are up to these days. Who would be so crazy to ride on the freeway and then document it, with their own names in the vid?

I think it's interesting to see what people are doing on bikes, good and bad.

Agreed. If I don't care about the topic, I won't read it and won't comment on it. No need to criticize a post on a cycling forum that's clearly cycling-related (or even ones that aren't cycling related). Just move along if you're tired of the topic.

bobswire
10-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Hey I'm one of the "older" guys on the forum and far from grouchy, I thank my lucky stars and take joy in the fact I can ride walk and run along with guys half my age and better than some. I don't really give two hoots what someone else does on a bike since I have no control of their behavior and can only vouch for mine. I can only hope I set a good example for cyclists with cagers who happen to cross my path. BUT I get where you are coming from, start a thread with the name Lance Armstrong and you're sure to be rewarded with multiple pages of redundant diatribe. Just leave us "old guys" out of it. ;)

Waldo
10-24-2014, 03:06 PM
The 2013 Joshua Tree Double Century had us on I-10 for well over 20 miles eastbound from Palm Desert. That stretch of the freeway is bike-legal and, I understand, has been used for RAAM. The 2013 El Camino Double Century had us on I-5, southbound for ~15 miles and northbound on the return leg for the same distance along Camp Pendleton. It's bike-legal there. US 101 is also bike-legal in many places, where speed limit is 65mph. The Interstates feel reasonably safe to me because of the width of the breakdown lane and rumble strips. The amount of crap you see in the breakdown lane while traveling at bicycle speed, as opposed to car speed, is astonishing.

You know how there are:
cyclists who practice vehicular cycling, and
people who ride bikes only on bike paths and sidewalks
people who wear orange vests with a mirror on their glasses and a flag on an 8-foot white pole, and
people who mostly color between the lines, but run stop signs and lights when there's no cars coming, and
people who ride like bike messengers.

Then there is this group, who seem to think the 10 is a good way to get to the Santa Monica pier. :eek:

http://vimeo.com/109284863

beeatnik
10-24-2014, 03:07 PM

That's how my college educated Latino friends felt about gang bangers. They were worried that their colleagues or that ordinary white people would perceive all Latinos as criminals. I'll let the trained sociologists elaborate on the phenomenon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiW2K8gASM

cat6
10-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Awesome video thanks for sharing!