PDA

View Full Version : Best of clothing recommendations (2015 winter edition)

thegunner
10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
since we've covered lights (thanks all) - I was curious if there was any new tech or gear I'm unaware of.

Need recs on:

1) waterproof jacket / cold weather jacket
2) waterproof shoe covers / cold weather shoe covers
3) waterproof gloves

and if any of you have used waterproof socks... yay or nay?

(+1 on things that i can still use when racing - so nothing too bulky)

MattTuck
10-23-2014, 01:15 PM
People have different definitions of "cold weather", but if you're riding in temps below 25 degrees, I'd strongly suggest winter specific cycling shoes. Even an insulated windproof shoe cover has a hole in it for the cleat, and that is enough, in those temperatures, for cold air to infiltrate the shoe.

thegunner
10-23-2014, 01:18 PM
People have different definitions of "cold weather", but if you're riding in temps below 25 degrees, I'd strongly suggest winter specific cycling shoes. Even an insulated windproof shoe cover has a hole in it for the cleat, and that is enough, in those temperatures, for cold air to infiltrate the shoe.

yeah, so let's go with 25F as the lower bound for what i'll actually go out to train in. my commute is short enough where i'll deal down to single digits.

FlashUNC
10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Isn't waterproof, but I've used an Assos 851 Airjack and a Craft long sleeve baselayer down to about 25 or so and been fine.

In fact, I'd recommend all the Craft winter baselayer stuff. That's all the jam. Light and super warm and breathes well.

buck-50
10-23-2014, 02:03 PM
I ride a fatbike most of the winter, singletrack at temps between 35 and -15.

biggest problem I've found is that very little gear for cold weather riding is set up for real cold. Not that it's not warm enough. but that it's always too warm and poorly vented. So you end up overheating, sweating, getting clammy and once you are clammy it doesn't matter how miraculous the material is, you're going to start getting cold. At least, that's the case for me- I'm a big guy, I sweat a lot.

In real cold I've found the best bet is layering wool and fleece with nothing windproof over the top- carry a wind jacket with you for when you stop. That vents enough to keep you dry and warm for 2-3 hours at zero or below.

This year I'll be trying Lake 303 winter boots- the louis garneau 0 degree ergo grips I used last year tended to let my toes go numb if I rode more than an hour and a half in temps below 20.

buck-50
10-23-2014, 02:04 PM
if it's below 25 degrees, chances are you do not need waterproof at all.

thegunner
10-23-2014, 02:06 PM
alright, so consider two scenarios - ideally i'd like to get one set of shoe covers and jackets that goes from 25f - 45f - this can be inclusive of layering.

although if you're implying snow that falls on you doesn't melt, you'd be wrong on that front.

lhuerta
10-23-2014, 02:06 PM
...do you foresee riding in cold (e.g. less then 30 degrees F) and wet conditions? U will find that most real cold gear is not waterproof, and most waterproof stuff is not made for real cold weather.

As for cold weather gear that is slightly water resistant and great for cold weather, I echo the above on Assos 851 jacket...I wear mine down to 20 degrees together with a Craft Windstopper layer and that is all I need. I have also had great results with Gore winter tights...with the windproof panels in all the right places.

The trick for cold weather is to aim for stuff that has high breathability and minimal bulk. The impermeable waterproof gear has little to no breathability and is good at keeping water out but ur sweat in, which can make you colder.

Yeah, I know, this is going to open up this discussion about how waterproof gear works like a wetsuit and your trapped sweat actually creates a thermal layer. against your skin...that might work for some but not for me and sweat against my skin only makes me colder.

What is your definition of cold?

Lou

eippo1
10-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Dunno where you are but here in NE, I find that layering and wool are 2 very important items.

Dired
10-23-2014, 02:27 PM
In fact, I'd recommend all the Craft winter baselayer stuff. That's all the jam. Light and super warm and breathes well.

+1 on craft winter base series, the regular windproof active is good to about 45F and extreme for anything below.

old fat man
10-23-2014, 02:29 PM
alright, so consider two scenarios - ideally i'd like to get one set of shoe covers and jackets that goes from 25f - 45f - this can be inclusive of layering.

although if you're implying snow that falls on you doesn't melt, you'd be wrong on that front.

I've layered well under the showers pass soft shell (same one that is for sale in classifieds by someone else), wearing just a summer jersey when it is ~45, adding arm warmers or a vest underneath if it drops to 40, adding a wool jersey to the summer jersey if it is below 35, adding a windproof base layer from craft if it is below 25. the jacket is very water resistant given its range.

I don't get too fancy on shoe covers. Usually a pair of Pearl Izumi that was on sale during the spring, or for real rain, a pair of PRO neoprene ones. I find socks and shoe toe covers help dramatically as the temps drop. If you need warm toes for more than 2.5 hours and it is below 25 degrees, use some chemical toe warmers. Not ideal on a daily basis, but once or twice a week, they're worth it. If commuting, you can put them in a zip lock bag for 7-8 hours and take them out again at the end of the day for the commute home.

Tom
10-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Don't get the Sidi winter shoes. They're fine except they don't close around your ankle. They fill with water if it rains, snow if it snows and just plain cold air if it is dry. There has to be a better solution. I'd bet it is the Lake shoes. I was an idiot.

Likes2ridefar
10-23-2014, 02:40 PM
yeah, so let's go with 25F as the lower bound for what i'll actually go out to train in. my commute is short enough where i'll deal down to single digits.

not a cycling brand, but I prefer my RBHdesigns NTS shirt for cycling now after using it for commuting a number of years. it's custom made to size in CT. even so it's still the same $ or much cheaper than most cycling brands. I had the sleeves cut to fit while on a bike, nice and long.

basically think of it like this: your warm, safe place.

no matter the temperature, you will not be cold on a bicycle as long as you are pedaling it. it is mostly waterproof (not seam sealed), windproof, and does not allow vapor to escape. it creates a sauna like effect inside the jacket so on longer rides you'll sweat less and therefore be better hydrated.

for around 40ish you need a short sleeve jersey or shirt under it and you will use all the vents to fine tune your core. below that i usually wear a long sleeve base layer.

i've been in -20+ F riding for 6 hours and still have to vent the thing after warming up for 20 minutes.

i love their socks, their face mask, and the jacket. the mittens/trigger mitts are awesome as well. again, your hands simply will never get cold in them on a bicycle as long as you're pedaling.

Likes2ridefar
10-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Don't get the Sidi winter shoes. They're fine except they don't close around your ankle. They fill with water if it rains, snow if it snows and just plain cold air if it is dry. There has to be a better solution. I'd bet it is the Lake shoes. I was an idiot.

all the winter shoes i've tried have been disappointing. that includes shimano, northwave, specialized, and lake.

i eventually settled on gore-tex shimano commuter shoes and in the winter remove the insole and wear thick fleece vapor barrier socks. for extremely cold weather i put booties over the shoes. that'll get me a few hours in sub freezing weather before my feet get cold, which btw, are notoriously cold below 70F.

thegunner
10-23-2014, 02:53 PM
damn, i don't want to get dedicated shoes, but it sounds like i might have to :p

alessandro
10-23-2014, 02:57 PM
I really want to try the 45NRTH shoes: The Fasterkatt, which is rated for 25-45 F, and seems to be directed more at wet and muddy, such as cross; and the
Wolvhammer, which is rated for 0-25 degrees F.

http://45nrth.com/products/footwear

(http://45nrth.com/products/footwear)At just $225 and $325 respectively, I just need a pair of each.;)

buck-50
10-23-2014, 04:27 PM
I really want to try the 45NRTH shoes: The Fasterkatt, which is rated for 25-45 F, and seems to be directed more at wet and muddy, such as cross; and the
Wolvhammer, which is rated for 0-25 degrees F.

http://45nrth.com/products/footwear

(http://45nrth.com/products/footwear)At just $225 and $325 respectively, I just need a pair of each.;)

The fasterkatt is just a relabeled Louis Garneau o degree... it's not a great shoe (especially not for $225. For around $100, it's OK). I have a pair of the LG version. It's got serious issues with the zipper. The zipper is located exactly where mud and dirt build up most. Not a great design for a boot intended for wet and muddy conditions. It says a lot that LG discontinued them.

The wolverhammer is supposed to be pretty nice but you can get a set of lake 303s for less and as far as I know, the lakes are the gold standard for winter cycling boots. At least they are for fat bikers.

tv_vt
10-24-2014, 09:11 AM
You do not need winter shoes. Just get some thick neoprene booties from Performance or Nashbar and wear the thickest calflength wool sock your shoes can take. Don't tighten the shoes down super-tight either.

I get cold wearing the Airjack jacket below 35 degrees or so. Then it's Fugujack time. But a great shell is the Rapha Rain Jacket. Layer under that and I think you could go all winter.

A neck gaiter (wool or fleece) is a sublime addition, too. Highly recommended to have in your rear pocket on rides in case you get chilled. Or start out with it and take it off if you get too hot.

PS. I ride every month of the year in Vermont.

jt2gt
10-24-2014, 11:44 AM
A neck gaiter (wool or fleece) is a sublime addition, too. Highly recommended to have in your rear pocket on rides in case you get chilled. Or start out with it and take it off if you get too hot.

PS. I ride every month of the year in Vermont.

Neck gaiter is great...but I found this Icebreaker wool bandana even better.
1.easier to put on and take off (while on the move).
2.use for a bunch of other things.

http://www.shoebuy.com/icebreaker-oasis-bandana-feather/700439

Other great stuff -- PI velcro closure shoe covers. Easy/fast on and off and the velcro holds. I have the warmest ones for coldest days and the PRO barrier wxb neon for wet or not quite as cold. These can be found on sale for pretty cheap. These with Assos early winter socks keep me pretty good feet wise to 30F.

Other great revelation from last season for me was a light summer baselayer under my craft or assos base layer then 851 jacket. This kept me from getting cold and clammy and regulating baselayers got me to 30F +/-. Also no wool baselayer against the skin...tried rapha and icebreaker. Hold water and slow to dry so I got cold and clammy much quicker with rapha/icebreaker wool baselayers.

thegunner
10-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Neck gaiter is great...but I found this Icebreaker wool bandana even better.
1.easier to put on and take off (while on the move).
2.use for a bunch of other things.

http://www.shoebuy.com/icebreaker-oasis-bandana-feather/700439

Other great stuff -- PI velcro closure shoe covers. Easy/fast on and off and the velcro holds. I have the warmest ones for coldest days and the PRO barrier wxb neon for wet or not quite as cold. These can be found on sale for pretty cheap. These with Assos early winter socks keep me pretty good feet wise to 30F.

Other great revelation from last season for me was a light summer baselayer under my craft or assos base layer then 851 jacket. This kept me from getting cold and clammy and regulating baselayers got me to 30F +/-. Also no wool baselayer against the skin...tried rapha and icebreaker. Hold water and slow to dry so I got cold and clammy much quicker with rapha/icebreaker wool baselayers.

how is the waterproofing on the PRO wxb's?

elong8
10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Assos

Likes2ridefar
10-24-2014, 12:45 PM

try removing them after a commute home in your apartment when they are covered in nasty street melt and you really, really have to go the bathroom.

I wish I had a video...I know my wife found it hilarious.

they are waterproof though as long as nothing splashes your legs and runs down...which always happens in my experience.

Likes2ridefar
10-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Assos

head to toe, year round, is my recommendation!

veloduffer
10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I really like my Castelli Due jacket. I wear only a Craft Base Layer down to 30 degrees. I liked them so much I got two of them. chest and wrist zips help regulate heat. They are form fitting, so order a size up.

wgp
10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Plus two on Assos winter clothing options. True winter jackets likes the Assos models (851, Fugu, Bonka) are simply superb! Just an appropriate baselayer underneath, and they are the perfect combination. I had the 851 but just bought the Bonka for the upcoming season. Not cold enough yet to even test this new arrival out yet, but the temp range on the Bonka may mean I sell my Fugu as well. I really only wear the Fugu on days below 35 and even then it can be too hot depending on my riding pace.

Utterly shameless plug, BTW, but my XL Airjack 851 is currently featured in the Classifieds!

jt2gt
10-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Pretty decent...nothing is going to be perfect and I agree with Likes2ridefar.

Another thing I did last winter is duct tape all the vents and toes on some older shimano shoes and used them with the PI covers all winter.

JT

thegunner
10-24-2014, 01:11 PM
they are waterproof though as long as nothing splashes your legs and runs down...which always happens in my experience.

so this is my issue - i wonder if double layering shoe covers (a thinner castelli nanoflex inner with an outer like the PRO wxb) would work better.

as far as the jacket - i think i might just have to plop down the $200-300 on a nice jacket once and be done with it.

btw - y'all are talking about this right? http://www.artscyclery.com/Pearl_Izumi_Pro_Barrier_WxB_Shoecover_13/descpage-PIPBWSC.html

buck-50
10-24-2014, 01:29 PM
so this is my issue - i wonder if double layering shoe covers (a thinner castelli nanoflex inner with an outer like the PRO wxb) would work better.

as far as the jacket - i think i might just have to plop down the $200-300 on a nice jacket once and be done with it.

btw - y'all are talking about this right? http://www.artscyclery.com/Pearl_Izumi_Pro_Barrier_WxB_Shoecover_13/descpage-PIPBWSC.html

Other than duct tape there's not much getting around this- as far as I know no one has designed a way to keep this from happening. You can minimize it by wearing materials that resist water better and don't wick down into your socks, but then you end up sweating more and getting wet from the inside...

Figure no one has figured it out in cyclocross or MTB yet.

Where are you riding? What conditions are you riding in? What is your goal? total dryness and warmth or just not getting as wet as you normally get?

EDS
10-24-2014, 01:49 PM

I frequently double layer the shoe covers - one under bottom of tights and the outer over - but still get leakage even with the spendy Gore insulated goretex booties as outer layer.

teleguy57
10-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Other than duct tape there's not much getting around this- as far as I know no one has designed a way to keep this from happening. You can minimize it by wearing materials that resist water better and don't wick down into your socks, but then you end up sweating more and getting wet from the inside...

Figure no one has figured it out in cyclocross or MTB yet.

I keep thinking I should try this. Maybe this year....
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-d0a1/k2-_914d1141-5d17-4df6-b348-cfa1a1e4dcab.v1.jpg

coffeecake
10-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Haven't heard anything on gloves yet. I would love to hear suggestions. What works for me is Defeet duragloves down to 45 F. They are neither water nor windproof, but they are fairly warm and most importantly give you quite a bit of flexibility and range of motion for actuating shifters and brakes, tightening shoe buckles, opening zippers, etc. I am dissatisfied with all of my heavy winter gloves though.

What do you all recommend for waterproof gloves?

druptight
10-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Haven't heard anything on gloves yet. I would love to hear suggestions. What works for me is Defeet duragloves down to 45 F. They are neither water nor windproof, but they are fairly warm and most importantly give you quite a bit of flexibility and range of motion for actuating shifters and brakes, tightening shoe buckles, opening zippers, etc. I am dissatisfied with all of my heavy winter gloves though.

What do you all recommend for waterproof gloves?

http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear-mistral-windstopper-gloves/GMISTA,default,pd.html?dwvar_GMISTA_color=3599&start=7&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-gloves

I've got a pair of these that are going on their 3rd or 4th winter. They're really not very thick so I was always worried I'd need to buy warmer gloves, but I also don't really ride if it's below 30. In the 30s though, these are good for me. My fingers usually start out a little chilly, but once I get moving I never have an issue. They're windproof and seem fairly water resistant. They're my only fall/winter glove used from about 30-55 degrees F.

mod6
10-24-2014, 03:14 PM
I use Bar Mitts on the MTB/Fat Bike once temps go below 35. Great at blocking the wind and rain. Not sure how they would work on a Road as I'm off the road bike once it get that cold.

http://barmitts.com/products/mm-main.jpg

buldogge
10-24-2014, 07:08 PM
If it's truly cold…PI Barrier Lobster Gloves…still cold, add Durafeet Wools as liners…still cold, stay home or drive…good down to single digits last year.

Feet are harder…Last year, for the first time, I used some Shimano winter "boots" and used PI Barrier overshoes as well…worked decently well, at least for my short 8 mile commute.

-Mark in St. Louis

jpw
10-26-2014, 03:35 AM
Assos.

Went out in the SturmPrinz a couple of weeks ago on a day with a forecast for showers. It became a monsoon. Roads became rivers..., and the jacket was very good. I would not wear this jacket in cold conditions. It is for rain.

I was also wearing the rain gloves. Not at all waterproof. The hands get wet, but they stay warm. The sturmNusss shorts are also not waterproof, but again you stay warm. The raincap is also not waterproof, but the head stays comfortable.

The now discontinued rain booties are a puzzle. Discontinued because Assos received lots of complaints that they were not waterproof. I don't see how a bootie with a hole for a cleat can be waterproof. Assos has told me that it is working on a new design. However, in my experience the booties keep my feet nice and comfortable and, crucially, warm. No cold toes, no issues. I will not be replacing them.

I'm now eyeing the Habu jacket, and the Bonka jacket. I'm just waiting to see how cold this winter might get.

happycampyer
10-26-2014, 04:13 AM
I'll third, fourth or fifth (whatever we're up to) Assos. The core jackets are the ones wgp mentions—the 851 or the bonKa are the main workhorses, with the fugu when it gets really cold. The haBu and tiburu jackets are great, too, but you probably already have jackets that cover the same temp ranges/wind conditions (although I haven't found anything that works as well as they do).Plus two on Assos winter clothing options. True winter jackets likes the Assos models (851, Fugu, Bonka) are simply superb! Just an appropriate baselayer underneath, and they are the perfect combination. I had the 851 but just bought the Bonka for the upcoming season. Not cold enough yet to even test this new arrival out yet, but the temp range on the Bonka may mean I sell my Fugu as well. I really only wear the Fugu on days below 35 and even then it can be too hot depending on my riding pace.

Utterly shameless plug, BTW, but my XL Airjack 851 is currently featured in the Classifieds!I doubt you'll find the bonKa to be warm enough to replace the fugu. If you can swing it, I'd keep the 851—I still get plenty of use out of mine, even with the bonKa. For anyone else reading, you should buy wgp's 851. Hands down one of the best articles of cycling clothing ever made.

Oh, and regarding gloves, I really like the ones that Specialized makes. There's one with separate fingers, and another that's lobster-esque but has both the index an middle finger separate, which I find much better at working shifters etc. than simple lobster gloves.

thegunner
10-26-2014, 08:06 PM
you know, the thought of plunking down $500 on a waterproof jacket (no matter how good) stings a bit :-/

Lionel
10-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Another plug for the 851. The best jacket ever.

Gloves for rain= neoprene.

Clydesdale
10-27-2014, 09:45 AM
I have been really pleased with the PI 3x1 pro softshell jacket. The outer shell is great for days that are above 15 or so and when it gets really cold the liner is awesome. I can be out for a couple hours at 0 with just a good winter shirt with the jacket over it. It also blocks wind pretty well, which in my experience is far more important than waterproof (wet days are warm days here). I have also worn an assos winter jacket, but personally like the PI better.

I have a pair of Gaerne eskimo shoes that I like a lot. They are full blown winter boots, so on the heavy side but well made. They run small and are pretty narrow, but warm, waterproof and comfortable. I size up enough that I can wear good wool socks and because tight shoes = cold feet in the winter. Above 25 it's regular sidi shoes and neoprene shoe covers.

I have had good luck with lots of gloves but when it is cold, I use PI barrier lobster gloves. If it is brutal cold, I also have bar mitts. Again wind tends to be the problem more than temperature because your hands are in it all the time and don't move much.

numbskull
10-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Any thoughts on Gore bikewear Xenon 2.0? Been considering it as my first bike specific clothing purchase? (you'd vomit if you see what I ride in now).

mecse
11-01-2014, 12:11 PM

You'll need a couple of different things, then.

I do:
- waterproof shells for pants/jacket
- layers underneath like a monster. Wool, usually.

Gloves are a pain in the rain - I haven't got a pair that works in the rain, and as per another thread, I may try some neoprene.

Shoes: Winter shoes are good. They will insulate more, but my feet are still usually cold and like having neoprene on top, too.

Cold weather gloves are easier. Go for the lobster claw style, insulated and with an inner gloves and I think you'll be fine.

mecse
11-01-2014, 12:15 PM
you know, the thought of plunking down $500 on a waterproof jacket (no matter how good) stings a bit :-/

If you're interested in trying something different, I can heartily recommend a jacket I picked up in March, by a small company called Search and State:

http://shop.searchandstate.com/products/s1-j-riding-jacket

I wore the jacket this morning in ~40 weather, with my summer jersey underneath. I was comfortable (albeit on the colder side)

I wore it in summer in ~75 pouring rain and I was comfortable (albeit on the warm side)

Last week I wore it up on a 70 mile ride with it stuffed in a jersey pocket and would take it out as needed.

It's waterproof, windproof, folds down to jersey pocket. It has a back pocket that is waterproof, but I've ofund that I sweat out into it and so don't rely on its waterproofiness much.

F150
11-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Dunno where you are but here in NE, I find that layering and wool are 2 very important items.

+1

Still rocking 28 yr old wool tights. Layer what you have, amazing how comfy a polypropylene top paired with that cashmere sweater in the dresser can be under a shell of some sort. Been known to use aluminum foil over the toes inside the shoe when nipply. I'm a cheap SOB...

Likes2ridefar
11-01-2014, 12:55 PM
+1

Still rocking 28 yr old wool tights. Layer what you have, amazing how comfy a polypropylene top paired with that cashmere sweater in the dresser can be under a shell of some sort. Been known to use aluminum foil over the toes inside the shoe when nipply. I'm a cheap SOB...

it's good to be cheap some times. I've full head to toe assos but leave it at home once it really gets cold. your method is far warmer and versatile.

i have $40 stretchy x-ski style pants and layer various tights under them. they keep my legs warmer (which really helps the toes as well) than anything I've found.

powerstretch tights are the warmest I've found that work well on a bike as long as they have a windproof cover over them.

Likes2ridefar
11-01-2014, 12:56 PM
glacier gloves work great in the rain. they are grippy and totally waterproof. long cuffs fit nicely under the jacket sleeve. they do gather sweat nicely so be prepared for that. they STINK after awhile. I have the fleece lined version.

mecse
11-01-2014, 04:39 PM
glacier gloves work great in the rain. they are grippy and totally waterproof. long cuffs fit nicely under the jacket sleeve. they do gather sweat nicely so be prepared for that. they STINK after awhile. I have the fleece lined version.

… Can you wash them easily?

Likes2ridefar
11-01-2014, 04:54 PM
… Can you wash them easily?

I don't think it would do much good. You can't turn them inside out, and they are difficult to dry unless you have something to keep them open and up right to let them drain. If you use them daily they will be wet the next morning still.

I've never seen a scuba dry suit but I imagine these are very similar.

A few times I put an insulating glove over these and this allowed me to operate in negative temps with hands that steamed when removed from the gloves.

By themselves on my cold hands they were fine for short commutes in all temps and for longer four plus hour type rides in the mid thirties and up.

Often at really cold temps my hands were painfully cold initially but once heat builds inside it stays so as long as the effort level is high hands stay warm but wet.

numbskull
11-02-2014, 05:32 AM
I'd not recommend neoprene gloves for real cold weather. I've not used them biking, but have loads of experience with them fishing. You sweat in them and they conduct heat fast enough in wind to get uncomfortably cold. A fleece lining and oversizing helps some (absolutely don't buy them to fit snugly).

My experience fishing is that gloves made with windblocking fleece work best. They make things bearable even when wet. If you need to stay dry a gortex overshell would be the ticket.

A fishing company, Simms, makes fingerless windblocking gloves (and a glove/mitten combo) that are excellent, although full fingered gloves would be better (the full fingered gloves Simms sells are not windblocking or warm in my experience).

Likes2ridefar
11-02-2014, 06:03 AM
I'd not recommend neoprene gloves for real cold weather. I've not used them biking, but have loads of experience with them fishing. You sweat in them and they conduct heat fast enough in wind to get uncomfortably cold. A fleece lining and oversizing helps some (absolutely don't buy them to fit snugly).

My experience fishing is that gloves made with windblocking fleece work best. They make things bearable even when wet. If you need to stay dry a gortex overshell would be the ticket.

A fishing company, Simms, makes fingerless windblocking gloves (and a glove/mitten combo) that are excellent, although full fingered gloves would be better (the full fingered gloves Simms sells are not windblocking or warm in my experience).

While I agree there are better options for cold and dry weather. For cool and wet they are tough to beat. Fishing and cycling, I think, are quite a bit different in the amount of heat produced but I experienced exactly what you said on a number of occasions with bitter wind chill overwhelming the gloves.

Lobster claws were my favorite since they are waterproof and warm. But too warm for most once above 40 or so. They dry if stood up all day in between commutes so good for that purpose as well.

But even they have their limit.

Rbhdesigns trigger mitts and mittens have yet to show a limit for me. Even in minus forty backpacking my hands were comfortable over multiple days. Miserable to put on in the morning since they were frozen solid, but blowing some hot breath in them then inserting the hand and everything is quickly stable again. On the bike steam emits upon removal even after four hours in sub freezing weather. Their gear is hands down the best I've ever tried for extremely cold weather and crosses multiple disciplines. I wear their nts shirt, mask, socks and mittens. Wish I had more!

So basically ideally I think numerous pieces of gear are needed:banana:

christian
11-02-2014, 06:56 AM
http://camp-usa.com/products/winter-gloves-hats/2096-g-comp-wind-power.asp

I have the stand-alone wind mitten. They are unbelievably useful for cold morning starts.

Likes2ridefar
11-02-2014, 07:37 AM
http://camp-usa.com/products/winter-gloves-hats/2096-g-comp-wind-power.asp

I have the stand-alone wind mitten. They are unbelievably useful for cold morning starts.
Those look really nice!

numbskull
11-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Check this company out. http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/socks-gloves.html

Looks like they have updated their glove line and have several new options that very likely would be ideal for cycling in cold wet conditions. They manufacture very good stuff and stand behind what they sell. Good company.

jpw
11-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Another plug for the 851. The best jacket ever.

Gloves for rain= neoprene.

I have the Assos neoprene gloves. the flaw was in the shaping of the end of the fingers. The new mark II glove is now out with "3D" fingers. My 3D fingers will be so pleased.

So, neoprene just works. Hands and fingers get wet, but stay warm.

jblande
11-02-2014, 09:00 PM
I wish the Assos booties were half as good as everything else they make.

cinema
11-02-2014, 09:23 PM
http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/winter-gloves/product/WTG04

anyone have an opinion on these? I have real small hands and they seem to make xxsmalls.

gdw
11-02-2014, 09:57 PM
"anyone have an opinion on these? I have real small hands and they seem to make xxsmalls. "

Water-resistant doesn't mean waterproof. I'd avoid them if you ride in the rain. Gloves are also a poor choice for cold weather.

thegunner
11-02-2014, 10:03 PM
the leather treatment seems annoying as well, i'm actually pretty happy with the castelli diluvio gloves for warmth down to about 20F - they just make your hands smell bad and clammy, but otherwise fine.

i think right now i'm still indecisive about the waterproof jacket thing. i would love a sturmprinz or a rapha rain jacket (not really in the same class but whatever), but can't quite bite the bullet.

cinema
11-03-2014, 12:49 AM
Gloves are also a poor choice for cold weather.

um. huh

druptight
11-03-2014, 08:19 AM
I always have trouble keeping my toes warm, even in the 30's and low 40's my toes get numb. I stumbled upon these the other day during my internet searching and for $9, decided I'd give them a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Tip-Toes-Neoprene-Warmers/dp/B00341N6CG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415024284&sr=8-1&keywords=gator+tip+toes

Little neoprene toe covers for inside your shoes. Just got them in the mail today, so I'll report back. The reviews are pretty much unilaterally good - so I'm keeping me fingers...er toes crossed.

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 08:26 AM
I always have trouble keeping my toes warm, even in the 30's and low 40's my toes get numb. I stumbled upon these the other day during my internet searching and for $9, decided I'd give them a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Tip-Toes-Neoprene-Warmers/dp/B00341N6CG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415024284&sr=8-1&keywords=gator+tip+toes

Little neoprene toe covers for inside your shoes. Just got them in the mail today, so I'll report back. The reviews are pretty much unilaterally good - so I'm keeping me fingers...er toes crossed.

I struggle(d) with cold feet like most but have gotten to the point where I'm pretty comfortable in most any temp.

not the only reason, but one of the primary reasons toes/feet get cold is because the legs are not kept warm enough. Most cyclists tend to wear just tights, usually in the temp you mentioned with wind blocking fronts. The legs generally feel OK but most likely you need them to be warmer if you want your feet to stay warm.

it makes a huge difference wearing two layers of tights for me. Even under my primo assos tights a thin base layer makes a huge improvement for my feet and how my legs feel - actually warm instead of before not thinking about them, not really considering them cold, but they certainly never felt warm when my feet were cold.

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 08:39 AM
the leather treatment seems annoying as well, i'm actually pretty happy with the castelli diluvio gloves for warmth down to about 20F - they just make your hands smell bad and clammy, but otherwise fine.

i think right now i'm still indecisive about the waterproof jacket thing. i would love a sturmprinz or a rapha rain jacket (not really in the same class but whatever), but can't quite bite the bullet.

i have a hard time accepting expensive waterproof cycling jackets. so you block one element and create another inside. A cheap one will do just that as well but you won't look as neat.

I was quite happy with my ultralight backpacking rain jackets. I had a rapha rain jacket I was given for free and it was not any better but did cost twice as much. if anything it's worse since it didnt have a hood.

jpw
11-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I wish the Assos booties were half as good as everything else they make.

i use the fugu, rain, and after snow booties. They work well...for me.

what's been the issue for you?

thegunner
11-03-2014, 09:11 AM
i have a hard time accepting expensive waterproof cycling jackets. so you block one element and create another inside. A cheap one will do just that as well but you won't look as neat.

I was quite happy with my ultralight backpacking rain jackets. I had a rapha rain jacket I was given for free and it was not any better but did cost twice as much. if anything it's worse since it didnt have a hood.

i think on point two is where the sturmPrinz comes in, everyone i've ever talked to has told me that it's 1) breathable and 2) will keep you dry in a monsoon.

i'd hope so for $500...

Lionel
11-03-2014, 09:13 AM
fully waterproof and breathable does not really exist IMO

thegunner
11-03-2014, 09:15 AM

effectively waterproof and still breathable, better?

jblande
11-03-2014, 09:18 AM
i use the fugu, rain, and after snow booties. They work well...for me.

what's been the issue for you?

I have not tried the newest iteration of the Assos booties, but had used 2 previous generations. zippers fail, and the feet still not warm...

Are the new Fugu booties significantly improved?

Lionel
11-03-2014, 09:22 AM

If it is a low intensity ride or a commute then fully waterproof is good, it won't breathe well but you won't sweat too much.

For a high tempo ride or race fully waterproof is bad as you will overheat and sweat and end up cold from it. There are far better options that are not fully waterproof but breathe quite well like a gabba jersey for instance.

jpw
11-03-2014, 09:32 AM
I have not tried the newest iteration of the Assos booties, but had used 2 previous generations. zippers fail, and the feet still not warm...

Are the new Fugu booties significantly improved?

i have the latest fugu booties. they work for me. the zippers seem strong enough. i try to be careful when i'm putting them on and taking them off. i try not to rush it.

my feet stay warm enough. i don't use winter shoes. i mix and match socks depending on the temperature AND wind speed.

i don't feel the need to try another brand.

jpw
11-03-2014, 09:43 AM
i think on point two is where the sturmPrinz comes in, everyone i've ever talked to has told me that it's 1) breathable and 2) will keep you dry in a monsoon.

i'd hope so for $500...

i have this jacket, the evo version in lolly red.

it will keep the rain out. you will stay warm, but i recommend staying at an even tempo and not hammering in cold weather. better to be dry and cool than wet and cold. if you have a cold tail wind tuck the reflective back pocket access flaps inside the jacket to keep your lower back warm and the cold air out.

I wrote to Assos to suggest the flaps be zippered and the center zippered pocket be removed.

jpw
11-03-2014, 09:45 AM

it's a good jacket if not riding too hard. hammering will create a wet internal environment. not recommended in cold weather.

Lionel
11-03-2014, 09:49 AM
I think we are saying the same thing.

s_curran
11-03-2014, 09:49 AM
So far really liking the shimano mw-81 boots. My feet get cold really easily, like to the point of going numb on a brisk fall day. So shoes wont solve everything, but so far these have done me pretty well. The soles suck (slippery) but they work pretty well for cross with spikes.

Also digging my Rapha transfer jacket. Not as much for long rides, but for commutes, warming up and casual wear it is fantastic.

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 10:36 AM

exactly! marketing does though. gore-tex is the best at it so far but lots of competition these days.

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 10:37 AM

need to leave off the breathable part:)

thegunner
11-03-2014, 10:45 AM
need to leave off the breathable part:)

haha, i don't mind sweating, that's the thing, i think the crappy part is really just feeling soaked from cold water (whether in the socks or bibs of whatever).

the plan of attack is - get some good baselayers (RBH already coming)

a good 99% waterproof jacket that's tight enough for if i want to double up for racing days

and for commuting, a pair of rain pants to slide over the bibs so i'm actually waterproof.

and fenders.

gdw
11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
"um. huh"

If you ride for any length of time in cold weather gloves with individual fingers are a poor choice. Mittens with trigger fingers or lobster gloves are much warmer.

Lionel
11-03-2014, 10:51 AM
exactly! marketing does though. gore-tex is the best at it so far but lots of competition these days.

Yep, I have a lot of goretex stuff for skiing and mountaineering but road cycling is not a good application for goretex. Again I am talking about real rides here (ie few hours, working up a sweat, etc...).

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 10:53 AM
"um. huh"

If you ride for any length of time in cold weather gloves with individual fingers are a poor choice. Mittens with trigger fingers or lobster gloves are much warmer.

Everything has a temperature range, even lobster claws. That style of glove just knocks the temperature range a bit lower for the low and high tolerance. The biggest problem I had with long rides and lobster claws was sweating out the insulation and then cooling down and my hands were frozen. These things stink! I would think... Good luck warming that insulation again unless you hop back into tempo or threshold for awhile.

that's why you need both typical gloves and lobster style gloves. And multiple gloves at that.

When I was not thinking straight and training for RAAM and out on the bike overnight sometimes for 12 or more hours straight, I used to take two or three pairs of gloves with me so I would not lose my digits through temperature and effort fluctuations.

gdw
11-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Has anyone tried one of the jackets made from Polartec Neoshell? If so, does it live up to the hype?

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Has anyone tried one of the jackets made from Polartec Neoshell? If so, does it live up to the hype?

I have an anorak from EMS. It's no better (in actual usage...perhaps in the lab it tests better) than any other similar style jacket like Goretex XCR proshell, etc in the breathing department.

it is slightly stretchy though which is nice. and very lightweight with it's minimalist design.

gdw
11-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Is it waterproof?

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Is it waterproof?

Yes

gdw
11-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Good. Foxwear offers custom jackets made from it for $150.
http://foxwear.net/clothing/rain-gear/

Pretty good price for a bespoke product. Rumor has it that the fit is pretty similar to the Assos 851.
http://icecyclist.com/winter_cycling_bicycling/apparel-jacket-foxwear-neoshell/

Likes2ridefar
11-03-2014, 12:07 PM
haha, i don't mind sweating, that's the thing, i think the crappy part is really just feeling soaked from cold water (whether in the socks or bibs of whatever).

the plan of attack is - get some good baselayers (RBH already coming)

a good 99% waterproof jacket that's tight enough for if i want to double up for racing days

and for commuting, a pair of rain pants to slide over the bibs so i'm actually waterproof.

and fenders.

The NTS shirt, if that is what you got, is pretty much water proof. I've worn it on very cold days that had rain. I wouldn't want it walking around in a downpour, but on a bike it works.

good call on the RBh, that pretty much solves any worries about being cold on the bike.

I hope I didnt mislead you into thinking the RBH are baselayers. They are, in the right environment - like the artic circle, or winter backpacking in extremely cold weather while not exerting, but on a bike they are stand alone for the most part. You will melt if you put anything over their shirt or pants. I tried once to wear a fleece monkey man (thick pile fleece, not windproof) because I was worried I would be cold, over the shirt when it was , say -20F with the windchill, and I had to stop 20 minutes in because I was uncomfortably hot. That had never happened to me before in the winter on a bike. Sure, warm but not so hot I thought I was going to pass out hot. I remember taking off their mitten and a huge puff of steam emitted while my hands did the same, and then I opened the vents on the jacket once I escaped the fleece and it was even more impressive.

thegunner
11-06-2014, 12:39 PM
awesome, yeah i got the long sleeve.

anyway - any opinions here on the shower pass stuff? specifically the elite 2.1 or pro?

Likes2ridefar
11-06-2014, 12:52 PM

anyway - any opinions here on the shower pass stuff? specifically the elite 2.1 or pro?

I have the elite 2.1. starting to notice a trend? I maybe have too much gear! moving to CT made that clear as all of the closets hiding it in the apartment came unpacked.

re: the showers pass, It's a great jacket for on the bike in foul weather but I almost never wear it preferring a softshell winter jacket for all but nasty wet weather. When that is the forecast I prefer a jacket with a voluminous hood to cover the helmet as well.

this is my current favorite: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18474736

but i also have a marmot super mica that is very light and packable and easier on/off. o, and an arcteryx alpha FL. they all work:)

thegunner
11-06-2014, 12:53 PM
I have the elite 2.1. starting to notice a trend? I maybe have too much gear! moving to CT made that clear as all of the closets hiding it in the apartment came unpacked.

re: the showers pass, It's a great jacket for on the bike in foul weather but I almost never wear it preferring a softshell winter jacket for all but nasty wet weather. When that is the forecast I prefer a jacket with a voluminous hood to cover the helmet as well.

this is my current favorite: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18474736

but i also have a marmot super mica that is very light and packable and easier on/off. o, and an arcteryx alpha FL. they all work:)

well you're also way fast, so i figure mimicking your closet is step one to getting fast.

Likes2ridefar
11-06-2014, 12:57 PM
well you're also way fast, so i figure mimicking your closet is step one to getting fast.

That day you leave work in the dark in the dead of winter and the temp dropped 20 degrees from the AM, you'll be happy you have a nice big windproof hood you can tighten around the helmet. i was surprised how much warmer it made me the first time i did it.

now all you need is a ski mask and goggles, a single speed 'cross bike, some studded tires and you are covered for anything but deep snow. strap some snow shoes on your backpack and you have that covered as well...

I loved it when a blizzard was forecast when commuting via bike in NYC, wish it happened more often. one hell of a workout carrying a bike through the snow on snow shoes! Only got to do that two times though!

chiasticon
11-06-2014, 02:05 PM
If you ride for any length of time in cold weather gloves with individual fingers are a poor choice. Mittens with trigger fingers or lobster gloves are much warmer.in general, i'd agree. that said, i moved from a merino inner glove/lobster outer combo last year over to the castelli estremo (thick, with individual fingers) and was very happy with it. in fact, i rode in temperatures lower than i'd ever been able to with the aforementioned combo and was fine. and those temps were at the very low end of what i'd ever do anyway (teens, fahrenheit). the lobsters are great but i kind of despise the lack of dexterity they offer.

neoprene gloves: i like the castelli dilluvio for 35-45 degrees) but in general i agree with what's been said. they keep you warm, but they're super clammy and eventually your hands will REALLY stink from it. not to mention that neoprene is a very painful nose wiping surface :mad:

Likes2ridefar
11-06-2014, 02:08 PM
in general, i'd agree. that said, i moved from a merino inner glove/lobster outer combo last year over to the castelli estremo (thick, with individual fingers) and was very happy with it. in fact, i rode in temperatures lower than i'd ever been able to with the aforementioned combo and was fine. and those temps were at the very low end of what i'd ever do anyway (teens, fahrenheit). the lobsters are great but i kind of despise the lack of dexterity they offer.

neoprene gloves: i like the castelli dilluvio for 35-45 degrees) but in general i agree with what's been said. they keep you warm, but they're super clammy and eventually your hands will REALLY stink from it. not to mention that neoprene is a very painful nose wiping surface :mad:

until recently i commuted and trained for racing daily no matter the weather in NYC, and usually wore the lobster claws. I found by the end of the season I was developing tendonitis in my right thumb due to, I think, the leverage of my shifting being changed from four fingers to two clumsy ones.

teleguy57
11-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Had the 2.0; sold it and got the SP Softshell Trainer instead (replaced in their line by the Skyline Softshell (https://www.showerspass.com/products/skyline-softshell)). I also have their Roadie Pants (the precursor to their Skyline Pant (https://www.showerspass.com/products/skyline-pant))

While the Elite is truly bombproof, it was stiffer than I liked and not as versatile as my Softshell Trainer. I wear it (and the pants) not only for cycling but also for nordic skiing. Nice fit, moves with me, great protection for everything except hours of driving rain.

gasman
11-06-2014, 04:06 PM
While the Elite is truly bombproof, it was stiffer than I liked and not as versatile as my Softshell Trainer. I wear it (and the pants) not only for cycling but also for nordic skiing. Nice fit, moves with me, great protection for everything except hours of driving rain.

Which eliminates it for riding in the winter in the PNW.:help:

velomonkey
11-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Ok, so page 7 - and guess I am coming in late

Assos, Assos, Assos

The 851 is legendary - I can totally confirm that (New England rider). Here is, for sure, what not to buy . . . Rapha.

Right now I have the iJ.haBu5 (what the F kind of name is that) and a craft or assos base layer works down to the 20s - any more below that and this monkey isn't going on a road bike.

I also have the 3-2-1 gloves - love it!!!!! I don't use the claws all that much - like never - but the glove with the base layer - all the time I start with both, it warms up - base layer goes - wear just the glove.

buddybikes
11-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Easy,
Use same as last winter

F150
11-06-2014, 10:11 PM
If you find yourself at a market with a hot bar, far from home, these can be a godsend. Look pitiful and they'll probably hand you a couple for free.

Let the hotdog sleeve comments begin.

chiasticon
11-07-2014, 07:56 AM
The 851 is legendary - I can totally confirm that (New England rider). Here is, for sure, what not to buy . . . Rapha.
hah! wanna elaborate? i've had solid experiences with all their winter stuff. in fact, i'd say it's some of the best stuff they make. i've seen this opinion echoed around a good bit too, so i'm curious to hear your experience.

nismosr
11-07-2014, 08:05 AM
hah! wanna elaborate? i've had solid experiences with all their winter stuff. in fact, i'd say it's some of the best stuff they make. i've seen this opinion echoed around a good bit too, so i'm curious to hear your experience.

I would love to hear it too, although I have no experience with Assos Jacket but I could tell you that Rapha Softshell jacket works great, I have worn it at high teen temp, also have the winter jersey. you can wear them on and off the bike.

Likes2ridefar
11-07-2014, 08:06 AM
I would love to hear it too, although I have no experience with Assos Jacket but I could tell you that Rapha Softshell jacket works great, I have worn it at high teen temp, also have the winter jersey. you can wear them on and off the bike.

The assos jacket costs more and is therefore better.

velomonkey
11-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Ok this is just me - here is the deal as far as I have been able to tell as I had a rapha jacket and sent it back.

The zipper - we going to the side or not? And if we are why isn't Sky riding with side zipper since they are on rapha? The side zipper thing never worked for me. Next, the jacket is all one layer/faborc - my point being it's the same in the front, the sides and the back - the only regulation I can do is zip or unzip. My Assos - the 851 and the newer jacket - the front has one type of material, the sides another and the back another. When I'm out riding in 32 degree weather there is a balance between keeping the cold out and the not letting me get too hot - also my front is taking the vast majority of the wind - my sides a bit less and my back hardly any - which is why Assos using different layers/fabrics totally works - Rapha it's all one - the result for me was my back was totally sweating up a storm and then if I stopped I got the chills. Fit - I just don't care to wear this stuff off the bike - not my thing but I don't begrudge people who might want to do that. The thing with Assos - you stand around and it fits like junk - you get on the bike - and that jacket is totally made for the position you ride on the bike - the fit suddenly becomes totally comfortable.

Even my old 851 - only thing I need to do is determine long sleeve or short sleeve or thick long sleeve base layer and I'm good to go.

chiasticon
11-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Ok this is just me - here is the deal as far as I have been able to tell as I had a rapha jacket and sent it back.
sounds like you only have experience with one jacket then, and only briefly? kinda lame to condemn a brand just based on that limited experience, isn't it? you could've at least said "this particular rapha jacket sucks" at least :)

fwiw, yeah the rain and wind jackets are all one material. the hard and soft shell may be too, i'm not sure; but the former is meant for extreme cold/precipitation and the latter has pit zips and such for temp regulation. winter jersey and pro team jacket have several different fabrics, similar to what you describe. the latter fits as you mentioned too; like crap off the bike and perfectly on. it's my favorite winter jacket, actually. i adore it as you do your 851.

zips... yeah a couple are on the side; the rain jacket is. i think only the ones that are meant for layering are like that, so that the zippers don't all bunch up on top of each other. not sure what garment you're referring to with team sky.

Likes2ridefar
11-07-2014, 10:11 AM

The zipper - we going to the side or not? And if we are why isn't Sky riding with side zipper since they are on rapha? The side zipper thing never worked for me. Next, the jacket is all one layer/faborc - my point being it's the same in the front, the sides and the back - the only regulation I can do is zip or unzip. My Assos - the 851 and the newer jacket - the front has one type of material, the sides another and the back another. When I'm out riding in 32 degree weather there is a balance between keeping the cold out and the not letting me get too hot - also my front is taking the vast majority of the wind - my sides a bit less and my back hardly any - which is why Assos using different layers/fabrics totally works - Rapha it's all one - the result for me was my back was totally sweating up a storm and then if I stopped I got the chills. Fit - I just don't care to wear this stuff off the bike - not my thing but I don't begrudge people who might want to do that. The thing with Assos - you stand around and it fits like junk - you get on the bike - and that jacket is totally made for the position you ride on the bike - the fit suddenly becomes totally comfortable.

Even my old 851 - only thing I need to do is determine long sleeve or short sleeve or thick long sleeve base layer and I'm good to go.

i have a rapha + paul smith merino wool fall/spring weight jacket that has wind panels on the chest. it has the side zip thing as well. i find it annoying and would prefer it in the middle.

love the bright pink color with purple polka dots on the rear pocket though!

i find it to be a pretty useful jacket. they still sell it but not with paul smith colors.

berserk87
11-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Cold weather clothing is a pretty individual choice. Some of my pals dress surprisingly light for hands and feet, while some look like they are preparing to ride to the North Pole when it's 65 degrees. Effort on the ride will also have great impact on how folks dress. If I am hammering, I will dress more lightly; if it's a smokes and jokes ride, I will dress more like the Eskimo.

A good windproof jacket with light insulation works well for me. I have a Gore jacket that is windproof and somewhat waterproof if it's damp, but I try not to ride in the rain. It works well enough for snow, but full-on rain might be an issue.

I have a bevy of leg and knee warmers, some windproof, some not, for different temps. Windproof is for lower temps. I will use warmer down to about 35 degrees.

My heavy duty bib tights are Pearl Izumi AmFib. Durable, and the AmFib is heavy and windproof. I like them.

I have been wearing Sidetrack shoe covers for years. Just got a new pair of Sidi Genius 6's this year, and with the heel retention system, the shoe is actually larger. The Velcro on the Sidetracks keeps wanting to pop open in the back, which stinks. So I picked up a pair of Endura road booties.

The Enduras are nice but the soft rubbery outer layer is delicate and easily torn up. I purchased a pair of their mountain booties yesterday and they are very similar but much more rugged. I will end up using them for road and MTB.

I layer wool socks if it gets into the 20's or below - one thin pair, and one thicker, with shoe covers as noted. Woolie Boolies work, and I have other generic wool socks that are ok too.

For my hands, teens or below, I use a shell glove that I got via REI (it's a gauntlet ski glove) and use a simple, knit glove as a base underneath. I've got various windproof gloves that do the job in the 20's or above. I have never liked the traditional lobster gloves due to my preferred hand/finger placement on the bars. I just picked up a pair of Gore Radiators, which leave the pointer and middle fingers separate, and the ring and pinky in one pouch. I may like these better, but just got them yesterday.

I wear a windproof hat thingie under my helmet that works. I hate wearing anything under my helmet, but after some frostbite on my earlobes two years ago, I have to wear something when it's below freezing. Above freezing, I don't wear anything on my noggin under my helmet.

Some guys like a balaclava or mask for the cold. I don't like them and have not worn one in 2 years, nor a neck gaiter. I don't have issues with my face or neck getting overly cold for some reason.

I have a Pearl Izumi Barrier long sleeve shirt that is really versatile. It has a windproof front panel which works well.

I picked up an Assos Early Winter jersey this year as a base layer. That darned thing is really warm for as thin as it is. It fits like a glove, too. I like the zipper at the top for venting. I am just figuring out how to use it - meaning, in what temps and with what combo of shell outer layer. I have missed badly in using this so far - I have worn it 4 times and sweated my butt off each time - so I need to go lighter in similar temps in the future when I use this.

I ride as much as I can in the winter. Last winter, the coldest day per the thermometer was 7 when I rode. The coldest I felt was at 13 degrees, going into a massive headwind. It actually hurt. The turnaround with a side and then tail wind felt 100% better.

Premton
11-07-2014, 01:55 PM
I will keep it short. My toes fail first in cold weather. The best I have come up with is high quality ski socks, aluminum foil on the toes, shoes and a winter shoe cover of your choice.

kingpin75s
11-07-2014, 02:16 PM
I have always found fit to be more important that anything when it comes to keeping feet warm. I can ride on my Fatback with platforms in the winter with some simple waterproof Asolo sneakers and a pair of ski socks and be warm to -10 because the shoes fit my wide feet.

If I put on a pair of the new Giro boots that I think look nice and warm, I will freeze due to the snug width Italian fit. For this reason I can really only buy cycling shoes like Sidi that have a Mega width size and it makes ALL the difference.

I will keep it short. My toes fail first in cold weather. The best I have come up with is high quality ski socks, aluminum foil on the toes, shoes and a winter shoe cover of your choice.

Likes2ridefar
11-07-2014, 02:19 PM

rbh designs socks sans insoles. miracles for my feet. integral designs (now owned by rab) have some socks that are nice too. they essentially look like a stuff sack for the feet. i wear a liner sock, then the RBH sock, and then the ID sock over the bunch and I'm good for 2-3 hours in subfreezing temps. 4-6 in the 30-40 range.

i used to use hand warmers on my toes but they arent ideal due to comfort and they eventually arent that warm.

Likes2ridefar
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I have always found fit to be more important that anything when it comes to keeping feet warm. I can ride on my Fatback with platforms in the winter with some simple waterproof Asolo sneakers and a pair of ski socks and be warm to -10 because the shoes fit my wide feet.

If I put on a pair of the new Giro boots that I think look nice and warm, I will freeze due to the snug width Italian fit. For this reason I can really only buy cycling shoes like Sidi that have a Mega width size and it makes ALL the difference.

i switch to waterproof MTB shoes and wear a size that is too large to allow multiple pairs of socks.

Likes2ridefar
11-07-2014, 02:26 PM
and the last setup for really cold temps.

windproof bootie, waterproof mtb shoes, synthetic liner sock (wool holds more sweat), RBH designs sock, ID sock

that kept my feet happy in single digits.

FYI my feet are generally cold if left on their own when below 70F.

velomonkey
11-07-2014, 05:04 PM
sounds like you only have experience with one jacket then, and only briefly? kinda lame to condemn a brand just based on that limited experience, isn't it? you could've at least said "this particular rapha jacket sucks" at least :)

Take a deep breath - even if you are a rapha share holder that was a little over the top. Rapha stuff I have tried and sent back - classic jersey, country jersey, long sleeve jersey, winter jacket, gilet, racing bibs.

Rapha stuff I kept: lightweight jersey, winter cap, arm warmers, merino knee warmers, cycling cap

I think I have enough experience to declare - for myself - "rapha stuff is no good for winter - go ASSOS, fit, form and material is better - albeit the design isn't as good." YMMV.

Bro, do you even lift?

weisan
11-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Context is everything. Don't mind, please allow me to insert a short commercial break. If anyone is interested in trying one of the most talked about winter apparel the Assos Airjack 851, please take a look at my post.http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158530

Roadguy
11-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Just picked up a castelli gabba 2 convertible - makes for a great layer with a vest in 30-50F with a base layer. Plenty of highlights with the gabba pieces but the convertible is certainly nifty with the zip off arms.

gavingould
11-13-2014, 05:13 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/293/1235471162_duckrabbitseason.gif

replace with rapha and assos.

fiamme red
11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
This morning was the first day of the year below freezing here, and it was time to take out my Ibex wool mittens. These are the most important element of my winter gear, because it's my hands that limit my riding when it gets really cold. If it's extremely cold, I'll put in chemical hand warmers between the mittens and wool liners.