PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Ti Seatpost

campy man
10-22-2014, 03:35 PM
It feels like Campy Ti seatposts have followed in the footsteps Record silver hubs.

I'm hearing these seatposts went for approx $100 back when brand new. Seeing these seatposts for +$150 in worn condition and +$200 for good condition. Some guy in Hungary wants almost $600 for a new Record Ti seatpost :eek:

Recently had a Paceline member ask me to make an offer on a post w/o sending pics or offering a description of the condition. :confused:

Are the posts that good, guys flipping seatposts or Campy crazy guys looking to complete their builds?

tuscanyswe
10-22-2014, 03:39 PM
It feels like Campy Ti seatposts have followed in the footsteps Record silver hubs.

I'm hearing these seatposts went for approx $100 back when brand new. Seeing these seatposts for +$150 in worn condition and +$200 for good condition. Some guy in Hungary wants almost $600 for a new Record Ti seatpost :eek:

Recently had a Paceline member ask me to make an offer on a post w/o sending pics or offering a description of the condition. :confused:

Are the posts that good, guys flipping seatposts or Campy crazy guys looking to complete their builds?

How good can a seatpost be? They are good posts but like everything rare, the value has little to do with the quality.

They do look nice imo. Just like the silver hubs.

nighthawk
10-22-2014, 03:42 PM
I bought one here for about $100... and I think I sold it here for $80. Not sure what is going on in the rest of the world... but those seem to be avg prices in the classifieds here.

eBAUMANN
10-22-2014, 03:46 PM
the going price (in my mental catalogue) for a good condition used record or chorus titanium post is around $150, which is about what ANY desirable titanium post in good shape would sell for. add on the rarity of em and the campy-factor, not surprising at all that they not only hold their value but also increase in value at the years wear on.

veloduffer
10-22-2014, 04:41 PM
I have one. It might even be new. It's like collecting wine. 😏

KidWok
10-22-2014, 04:51 PM
I have a couple of bikes using Cinelli Grammo ti stems and occasionally look for a campy ti post to match. For the money, it just doesn't seem worth it. Cinelli made a Grammo ti seatpost too...those are even harder to find and equally ridiculously priced.

Tai

Don49
10-22-2014, 04:53 PM
I bought my Chorus Ti post on this very forum for $75 in like new condition. Goes well with the other Ti bits on the Calfee but nothing special about it otherwise. It replaced a Thomson Elite that continually slipped.

eBAUMANN
10-22-2014, 05:17 PM
I bought my Chorus Ti post on this very forum for $75 in like new condition. Goes well with the other Ti bits on the Calfee but nothing special about it otherwise. It replaced a Thomson Elite that continually slipped.

I'm sorry, but how in the world did you manage to make a 2 bolt clamp (let alone a thomson) SLIP? serious question.

tuscanyswe
10-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry, but how in the world did you manage to make a 2 bolt clamp (let alone a thomson) SLIP? serious question.

Think he meant the post slipped down in the frame and not the saddlerails.

eBAUMANN
10-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Think he meant the post slipped down in the frame and not the saddlerails.

if thats the case, i wouldn't ENTIRELY blame the post...ID of the seat tube and the clamp are also factors. I am currently battling the same issue on both of my CX bikes and mtb...maybe I'm just getting fat :help:

tuscanyswe
10-22-2014, 05:33 PM
if thats the case, i wouldn't ENTIRELY blame the post...ID of the seat tube and the clamp are also factors. I am currently battling the same issue on both of my CX bikes and mtb...maybe I'm just getting fat :help:

You have 3 slipping posts?
I think i had one like ever, but then im a skinny guy. But you dont really look all that fat from the pics I've seen either :)
I have an edge post that can get very scary as the design allow for tilt slippage so its dumped me once on the rear wheel as ive raised my position to no hands. A very unpleasant feeling btw :)

Don49
10-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Yes, the Thompson seatpost was slipping in the Calfee seat tube at maximum tightness of the clamp. I had the identical problem (different Thomson seatpost) on a Bianchi. I believe the Thomsons maybe on the lower limit of spec, but that's a different thread. No problems with either the Campy carbon or Ti seatposts.

eBAUMANN
10-22-2014, 05:40 PM
You have 3 slipping posts?
I think i had one like ever, but then im a skinny guy. But you dont really look all that fat from the pics I've seen either :)
I have an edge post that can get very scary as the design allow for tilt slippage so its dumped me once on the rear wheel as ive raised my position to no hands. A very unpleasant feeling btw :)

i recently CRACKED an edge post as part of my battle with slippage. granted it had the logos sanded off of it...which probably made that particular area under the clamp a little thinner-than-spec...but yea, cracked it, totally toast.

the clamp would slip any time i re-mounted the bike or it i was in the saddle over some bumpy trail, no bueno.

the other is in a frame with a shim...i changed the clamp from a bottomed-out thomson to a salsa and that seems to have helped a bit.

the mtb is a mystery, as the ID of the seat tube actually makes for a pretty tight fit on the post...it just slips over the course of a long ride veeeeerrrry slooowwwwwlllyyy until it feels like I'm riding a clown bike.

very annoying stuff.

that said, i have never had that issue with a campy ti post, so maybe thats why they are worth so much? ;)

campy man
10-22-2014, 11:52 PM
If the Campy Ti seatpost is anywhere close in quality as the Campy silver hubset that half explains the current cost.

Those Campy silver hubs spin forever.

rustychisel
10-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Those Campy silver hubs spin forever.

yes, but they're not very good seatposts. :confused:

R3awak3n
10-23-2014, 12:05 AM
I have a chorus TI that I bought here for $85 not too long ago. Its a nice seat post, pretty light. I probably would have not paid more than $100 for it but its going to go nice with the TI cockpit in the new bike.

The record TI is even more rare than the chorus. To my knowledge its identical but they only made very few of them before record seatpost was carbon.

oldpotatoe
10-23-2014, 08:33 AM
I have a chorus TI that I bought here for $85 not too long ago. Its a nice seat post, pretty light. I probably would have not paid more than $100 for it but its going to go nice with the TI cockpit in the new bike.

The record TI is even more rare than the chorus. To my knowledge its identical but they only made very few of them before record seatpost was carbon.

Vecchio's has the fine pitch lower cradle for these, the 'ears' sometimes break... For info.

elong8
10-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Chorus carbon works great. Syncros ti slipped. A lot.

cnighbor1
10-24-2014, 04:59 PM
A friend made his own Campagnolo Ti Seatpost
Machined the aluminum top off a normal Campagnolo so that it fit inside a 27.2 Ti tube Than he epoxied it all together
It worked great
Helped that his shop Davidson cycles made Ti frames and there was a lath to use
Maybe someone could make some

here is one at $125
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Campagnolo-Record-Titanium-27-2-X-250mm-30mm-Road-Bike-Seatpost-Vintage-/181566391449?pt=US_Seatposts&hash=item2a46334499
one can always sand with wet or dry sandpaper to get finish back to new Put don't touch the aluminum portion with anodizing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Record-Titanium-27-2-Seatpost-GC-NO-RESERVE-ti-/181562446038?pt=US_Seatposts&hash=item2a45f710d6

R3awak3n
10-24-2014, 08:38 PM
nevermind, answered above on how to polish it :)