PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have advice for freeing a stuck DA pedal?

cwayne
10-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Not sure how this pedal is stuck on the SRAM crank but it is. I've tried everything even an impact driver. Could I heat it up? It's a relatively new DA 9000 pedal and new SRAM red left side crankarm. It's really bizarre and of course I'm going the correct way. (opposite of driveside) Thanks in advance.

Veloo
10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Whenever that happens to me, I slide my 4 ft long ABS pipe over my Park pedal wrench and it always loosens a tough pedal job.

cwayne
10-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Good advice. I'll try that. Got to find a pipe

Dead Man
10-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Whenever that happens to me, I slide my 4 ft long ABS pipe over my Park pedal wrench and it always loosens a tough pedal job.

Yep. Nothing else to do for it.

"Opposite of driveside" meaning you're rotating toward the back of the bike on both pedals, right?

dekindy
10-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Never forget the cheater bar when you are heading out on the road to fix a big truck flat tire!

pdmtong
10-22-2014, 01:10 PM

It's a matter of leverage. and of course turning in the correct direction. The impact wrench is not the answer. Pick one of these up
http://www.parktool.com/product/8mm-hex-tool-ht-8

The other trick I have used successfully is to turn the bike upside down so you are pushing DOWN to turn the pedal CCW.

I also put the chain on the big ring, wear a leather gardening glove and put a foam on the tube so in case I slip I 1) dont gash my hand on the chainring and 2) don't smash my bike tube. dont forget to grease the threads when re-installing

cwayne
10-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Yep. Nothing else to do for it.

"Opposite of driveside" meaning you're rotating toward the back of the bike on both pedals, right?

Yes.

Dead Man
10-22-2014, 01:21 PM
dont forget to grease the threads when re-installing

And only tool tighten one little snug past hand-tight.

dogdriver
10-22-2014, 01:57 PM
+1 the above, plus... squirt on some kind of penetrating oil and wait over night. I've had good luck with T-9.

cwayne
10-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks again. I'll post my results. It's good to see that this is not as uncommon as I thought. Funny I'm sure I lubed the threads like always, perhaps not?

oldpotatoe
10-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks again. I'll post my results. It's good to see that this is not as uncommon as I thought. Funny I'm sure I lubed the threads like always, perhaps not?

Crank arm off, big Allen in pedal, allen in vice, pull or push crank arm.

nighthawk
10-22-2014, 03:23 PM
PB Blaster overnight.... then leverage as described above.

Or throw out and buy Campy. I hear Italians have superior threading. :) :) :)