PDA

View Full Version : Bike computers

SZWONDERS
10-22-2014, 02:47 AM
What would your recommendations be for a beginners bike computer?

Do most of you guys use your smartphone? Which accessories?

A dedicated Bike computer? which features do you find most useful and which are useless?

Any recommendations for the high end GPS enabled units?

endosch2
10-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Do a garmin device, the cell phone concept is generally for freds.

The authority on sports electronics is a blogger www.dcrainmaker.com

Tony T
10-22-2014, 05:19 AM

What features are you looking for?
For speed, distance, time, cadence, look at Sigma wireless (http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_2012_wireless/bc1612_sts_cad/) or wired (http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_2012_wired/bc1612/)

Any recommendations for the high end GPS enabled units?

A beginner should not need a high-end GPS unit (unless you plan on doing a lot of miles on unfamiliar roads).

SZWONDERS
10-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Dont make fun . Whats a fredd?

Tony T
10-22-2014, 05:56 AM
https://www.google.com/#q=cycling+fred

SlowPokePete
10-22-2014, 06:18 AM
I finally went with a Garmin 500 w/Speed and Cadence, pretty much covers the basics in a compact size. Had it about a month now and much prefer over using the smart phone.

SPP

shovelhd
10-22-2014, 06:49 AM
You have to tell us what you want out of it and what your budget is.

Alan
10-22-2014, 07:20 AM
If you want maps which I really enjoy as you can easily download routes from sites like ridewithgps buy a new Garmin 800 for around $300. You can load fee openstreet maps and be good to go very easily.

The newer models don't really have that many useful features to spend more cash and the 800 is very mature from a software standpoint and easy to use.

Alan

tele
10-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Sebastian

Another plug for a Garmin 500: easy to use and customize displays for what you want to see. I use it for both road and mtb.

I tried using my iphone a couple of years ago but it was a wicked battery drain and just is not as easy.

Kev

SZWONDERS
10-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Obviously being a beginning rider its hard to answer but i want to start riding for exercise , i don't plan on being competitive rider as in racing, but I would like to compete against my own times. Thats why apps like map my ride seemed so attractive.
I guess in reality i'm not sure exactly what ill need. In this regard all of your questions are just as helpful as your answers.

Tony T
10-22-2014, 07:43 AM
Obviously being a beginning rider its hard to answer but i want to start riding…

Get a basic wired or wireless cyclometer (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=cyclometer&sprefix=cyclometer%2Caps%2C201) and record your times in a worksheet.

SZWONDERS
10-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Any makes models that work best? Drawbacks and advantages of wired vs wireless and the sensors?

LesMiner
10-22-2014, 08:04 AM
If you are considering entry level then look for a cycle computer with speed, distance, and cadence. Go for wireless models to make mounting on your bike easier. There are many inexpensive choices out there. Go online to Nashbar or Performance or even your LBS. Here is one entry level example from Cateye (http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_541267_-1___204661) Very simply, it has just speed and distance inexpensive wireless. If you want to add cadence then this one from Nashbar (http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_555433_-1___204661) could work for you. Like most technology things you can move up and add all kinds of functions and features. Add in heartrate, power, GPS, multiple bikes, etc. and then download your riding stats or get into STRADA. Of course moving up means more money. If you are new to cycling or your interest is casual riding then the entry level choices would be best. Otherwise a lot of functions that you do not use or do not find useful would be a waste.

SZWONDERS
10-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Ty

Vinci
10-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Cateye Strada Wireless.

It has one button and is easy to read. You can't beat it for a simple computer.

palincss
10-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Do most of you guys use your smartphone? Which accessories?

A dedicated Bike computer? which features do you find most useful and which are useless?

What features do you want from a bike computer?

buck-50
10-22-2014, 08:56 AM
I've been wondering the same thing- my phone goes in my back pocket, it's collecting more telemetry than I will ever use, so I just wanted something simple to mount on the bars to tell me speed time and distance.

After talking to some other folks, the 2 best suggestions for simple were the Planet Bike Protege 9- one screen, all the info, super simple, super cheap and the Garmin edge 200- gps, no sensors, no maps, just speed, time, distance on one screen. simple, easy to swap between bikes, $99 if you can find one on sale.

I went with the Garmin- I liked the idea of being able to upload my data to my favorite tracking program and that I can swap it between bikes with no sensors.

Make sure to ask yourself what you really want out of a computer- do you really want heart rate, cadence, power or do you just want time, speed, distance?

Tony T
10-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Any makes models that work best? Drawbacks and advantages of wired vs wireless and the sensors?

That link I posted was to Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=cyclometer&sprefix=cyclometer%2Caps%2C201), you can read some of the reviews there.
(FWIW, I use a wired Sigma. Cateye is very popular)

Wireless: easy set-up
Wired: No interference, one less battery, battery lasts over a year.

Also, for a beginner, it's a good idea to monitor your cadence.

dekindy
10-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Just riding for exercise; no computer needed as is a waste of money.

palincss
10-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Have you any interest in knowing how many miles you're getting out of tires, or in changing your right hand STI shift cable before it breaks and jams up your brifter so bad you have to buy a new one? Care about cleaning your chain so as to maximize chain life?

Then you need to know how much mileage you are putting on the bike. And the only way to do that is with a device that records the mileage.

gdw
10-22-2014, 10:01 AM
The Cateye Velo 7 is an inexpensive reliable computer which has the basic features needed to track your progress.

http://www.amazon.com/CatEye-Velo-Bicycle-Computer-CC-VL520/dp/B007YV1GM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413989767&sr=8-1&keywords=cateye+velo+7

nublar
10-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Can't go wrong with an Edge 1000

Tony T
10-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Better to track progress with an inexpensive cyclometer.

Tony T
10-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Can't go wrong with an Edge 1000

$600 for a cycling beginner? Better for the OP to start with a $20 Cateye :)

Highpowernut
10-22-2014, 12:42 PM
I would use a smart phone, and strata/ map my ride etc. for a beginner.
I started with my iPhone, went to a garmin 910xt (I'm a tri guy)
Then I tried a edge 1000, love it, expensive yes. I like the live track feature, wife can check where I'm at , gives her a warm fuzzy. Worth the extra to her, so it sold itself to the wife.

cash05458
10-22-2014, 01:36 PM
2nd the strada! good little computer...

Waldo
10-22-2014, 05:01 PM
After 28 years of serious riding, I ditched computers and ride without electronics. Your legs and lungs will tell you how hard you are riding and how hard you should be riding. If you ride with a computer, you'll spend the entire ride staring at the damn thing and miss all the scenery. If you want data, use a watch.

velodadi
10-22-2014, 05:20 PM
+1: Uses GPS for distance, speed, average speed. No maps. Can switch bikes with no issues.

Tony T
10-22-2014, 07:38 PM
If you ride with a computer, you'll spend the entire ride staring at the damn thing and miss all the scenery.

I rarely look at my Sigma while riding. Although, sometimes while climbing I'll look at my cadence.
(After my ride I record the distance and time in a worksheet and re-set)

Louis
10-22-2014, 09:04 PM
I have no clue how old mine is, I'd guess at least 15 years old, but my Cateye Micro has been incredibly reliable for a very long time. If the stuff they make today is half as good I'd still recommend it.

I don't have any experience with the wireless models, so I can't tell you how well they work, but for a basic cadence + speed/distance the Cateye Micro is a great option.

Here's what is currently available from Cateye:

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/category/1/

endosch2
10-22-2014, 09:50 PM
https://www.google.com/#q=cycling+fred

I never knew there was so much written about freds.

The garmin I use is an Edge500.

SZWONDERS
10-23-2014, 05:05 AM
I think ill be starting out with a simple computer to monitor speed and distance and cadance as i know thats imprtant.

Thank you all for your input.

PS. definatly don't want to end up being a fred

shovelhd
10-23-2014, 06:26 AM
I think ill be starting out with a simple computer to monitor speed and distance and cadance as i know thats imprtant.

Thank you all for your input.

PS. definatly don't want to end up being a fred

The Cateye wireless line is very good for simple needs.

bjf
10-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Garmin 500. Very customizable display.

kittytrail
10-31-2014, 04:55 PM
been using various Cateye units for the last twenty years(mostly CC-HB100 with heart rate monitor for the last fifteen) without any problem. binned a couple Sigmas that were on the commuting bike though. so a wired Cateye might be a good choice for hassleless setup and use and if you want GPS data too, get a cheap and light unit like a G-Paws (https://www.g-paws.com/). if it's good enough for a cat, it's good enough for a cyclist. :banana:

there's also a nifty GPS + camera unit from Cateye, another one that connects by Bluetooth with your smartphone, a GPS Ant+ one, etc. lot of choice depending on your actual needs or wants.

sg8357
10-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Cateye Strada, wired or wireless.
Note that some front lights will whack out wireless computers.

The otherwise annoying garmin touring works very well for
night rides, it lights up for each turn.

parris
10-31-2014, 08:18 PM
I haven't read all the posts and if this has been covered already I apologize.

I took the computer off my bikes because I found that I spent more time looking at the numbers and much less time actually enjoying the ride. If I want to track things I do have Strava on my phone which stays in my pocket till the end of the ride. The one measurement that I do miss having on the bar is cadence.

stephenmarklay
10-31-2014, 09:11 PM
I've had the Edge 500 since they came out. Its a very solid computer and has been dead reliable. The software allows you to analyze training as well.

The only downside is that at 45 my vision is not what it once was. Trying to display 5 fields makes me squint. I would go large next time but it has been a great computer.

oldpotatoe
11-01-2014, 06:37 AM
I've had the Edge 500 since they came out. Its a very solid computer and has been dead reliable. The software allows you to analyze training as well.

The only downside is that at 45 my vision is not what it once was. Trying to display 5 fields makes me squint. I would go large next time but it has been a great computer.

https://www.dualeyewear.com/

velomonkey
11-01-2014, 01:52 PM
A bit late: but I am testing out both the Wahoo and the cateye strada smart. Both are basically head units and use your smart phones GPS, but can also have a speed sensor and HR.

Quick highlights:

Wahoo basically shows everything a garmin does, though not as good 'workouts' or maps. Otherwise the same. The computer and mounts are a bit cheap, but certainly work. The app is awesome - look good, good presentation, tons of 3rd party online sites are integrated. Half the price of a garmin.

Cat Eye strada smart - small. Way, way, way small. Two items on screen at once that are easy to read - to change you press the computer and it clicks/pivots on the mount (best yet, garmin touch blows, wahoo uses side buttons). Really just a head unit with HR, Power, speed, distance. App is passable but nothing special, but also has whatever you need - limited 3rd party, but starve works. The size is really impressive and screen easy to read albeit limited information.

soulspinner
11-01-2014, 03:20 PM
The Cateye wireless line is very good for simple needs.

Boom