PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber minor damage question

Saint Vitus
10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Yeah, yeah I know the internet is rife with these questions but heck I'm waiting on a machine repair so I have time to kill.

So I ran across a 585 Ultra in my size at a price that intrigues me but the below images are the driving force behind this post. The seller claims that he took it to Calfee and they said it was safe and won't affect the structure (it's the left chainstay). Granted I'll be pressing the issue of verifying the Calfee inspection, but I figured I'd ask all ye of greater knowledge/experience than I.

Who here would ride this as is (granted if Calfee took a second look), who here would have it fixed (if that is necessary or possible- maybe it's just cosmetic?) and who here would run far away?

Dead Man
10-21-2014, 06:03 PM
You could have it repaired easily, also. Kind of an unfortunate spot for a repair, aesthetically.

thegunner
10-21-2014, 06:04 PM
uh, that looks like it's through more than just the clear coat / paint... the top level of fibers looks compromised. i'd probably buy it (if it were cheap) and have calfee or ruckus or predator or someone just swap it out.

vqdriver
10-21-2014, 06:16 PM
dunno. doesn't actually look horrible to me. i mean it's ugly, but it looks like some type of repetitive scaping, not accident damage. if that's my frame, i'd just keep riding it.

would i buy it? well, i guess that depends on the deal......

Louis
10-21-2014, 06:20 PM
I'd be amazed if Calfee said that was safe.

nicrump
10-21-2014, 06:25 PM
buying used carbon(or any material) with some kind of damage that is not understood buy the purchaser,

3 choices

1. pass
2. get proof(calfee charges to inspect and thus should have documentation)
3. low ball and get it fixed.

vqdriver
10-21-2014, 06:34 PM
really? is that amount of damage really considered structural? i've seen carbon mtb frames that were knicked up way worse than that from rocks and dropped chains. maybe those tubes are thicker or something. what do i know.

Saint Vitus
10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys for your insights, especially Nick for pointing out Calfee's inspection fee.

I was mulling over the damage and that the seller claims the original owner stated about it happening during a bike transport, and these marks to me look more intentional than random...

RedRider
10-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Why buy someones broken bike? If your bike was damaged that would be different. Bicycles are a lot of fun. Don't start a new purchase with a problem. PASS.

SlowPokePete
10-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Another vote for PASS.

SPP

Admiral Ackbar
10-21-2014, 08:23 PM
id ride that for sure.

as previously mentioned, id ask for some proof it was looked at by calfee and given the all-clear.

if the price is right, buy it. especially if its a frame you've always lusted after

Brian Cdn
10-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Best to get frame with no issues. I would pass.

beeatnik
10-21-2014, 08:45 PM
OP, you asked in the wrong place.

And NC was just being diplomatic.

That bike is safe to ride. 999999 out of 1,000,000, um, cycles that bike would not fail catastrophically. If that weren't the case, consumer product safety commissions all over the world have to devote all their resources to bicycles. And the courts...

Louis
10-21-2014, 08:54 PM
That bike is safe to ride. 999999 out of 1,000,000, um, cycles that bike would not fail catastrophically. If that weren't the case, consumer product safety commissions all over the world would have to devote all their resources to bicycles. And the courts...

What's one cycle? One revolution of the pedals? If so, assuming 90 rpm, then 1e6 at that rate is 185 hrs. 2 hrs / ride means 92.6 rides. Beware on ride #93...

kramnnim
10-21-2014, 09:00 PM
How much is this frame? Drew @ Cyclocarbon is cheaper than the more well known places and has been pulling off some pretty crazy repairs, you could get it patched even if it doesn't really need to be...

likebikes
10-21-2014, 09:25 PM
100% fine to ride, no problems.

tumbler
10-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Unless this is dirt cheap, I would pass on it. Not worth the time and headache to buy, inspect, repair. There will be another one...

pbarry
10-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys for your insights, especially Nick for pointing out Calfee's inspection fee.

I was mulling over the damage and that the seller claims the original owner stated about it happening during a bike transport, and these marks to me look more intentional than random...

Bingo! No way that travesty occurred while riding. Run far away.

rustychisel
10-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Bingo! No way that travesty occurred while riding. Run far away.

Must agree. Was trying to see a scenario where those could be the result of accidental damage...

travel. Possible, but the angled cuts are concerning. Damage like this could occur during travel with rubbing from an unprotected part, but repeated events???

dvancleve
10-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Seems to me that could easily occur in a fairly short trip with that bike on a rear mounted bike rack moving a bit and rubbing against something…

vqdriver
10-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Like a pinned MTb pedal next to it on the rack.......

eippo1
10-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Get it if you're going to get it repaired. It can be done well for not a lot of dough. No reason these awesome frames with a little bit of damage shouldn't live on.

oldpotatoe
10-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah, yeah I know the internet is rife with these questions but heck I'm waiting on a machine repair so I have time to kill.

So I ran across a 585 Ultra in my size at a price that intrigues me but the below images are the driving force behind this post. The seller claims that he took it to Calfee and they said it was safe and won't affect the structure (it's the left chainstay). Granted I'll be pressing the issue of verifying the Calfee inspection, but I figured I'd ask all ye of greater knowledge/experience than I.

Who here would ride this as is (granted if Calfee took a second look), who here would have it fixed (if that is necessary or possible- maybe it's just cosmetic?) and who here would run far away?

Wheel/axle rub while shipping? If cheap, I'd buy it and have one of the mentioned repairers wrap and finish. No need to replace the stay.

Saint Vitus
10-22-2014, 09:49 AM
To all those who are curious on price, $500 for F/F/H and thanks again for all the response. I asked about the Calfee inspection yesterday but hadn't gotten a response.

I'm thinking of passing only because it's an item that I'll have to ask a friend to pickup and ship and I'm dubious of the marks and tumbler makes a good point. Now if he responds with a Calfee paper trail...

Saint Vitus
10-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Now if he responds with a Calfee paper trail...

And he did... Waiting on a response from Calfee.

FlashUNC
10-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Like a pinned MTb pedal next to it on the rack.......

That was my first thought too, especially if its on the NDS.

I'd wager its probably fine, but agree with others. Unless its a stupidly good deal that would still be a good deal even with the repair, why take on someone else's problem?

Nooch
10-23-2014, 01:10 PM
I sold a frame here for a friend with a hole in it, sent some pictures to calfee, they estimated the repair cost, made that clear -- to the best of my knowledge it was repaired and is being ridden on the west coast...

I say go for it.

pdmtong
10-23-2014, 02:45 PM
A calfee repair will run I think $200ish and then you have the shipping to and from.

*IF* you want to get it painted that will be additional, and *IF* you want to get the decal matched that will be additional, these last two cosmetic steps likely to double the repair cost (this based on my direct experience with their repair on my CX)

$500 for the f/f then another outlay to repair and ship...it's not looking like such a screaming deal now. evidently the seller priced the repair into the sale?

to me its a coin flip. there will be other bikes, assuming you are a common size. but if you want it now, it can be fixed with no affect to the ride quality.

agreed that looks like a transportation scar from a tightly loaded rack.

DRZRM
10-23-2014, 03:14 PM
I was just over at Bruce K's picking up a bike rack and he showed me his Cannondale that was broken last time we rode together, split through the seat stay after falling on RR tracks. I think he had it fixed by Ruckus and you seriously cannot even see where the repair was done, it was priced pretty reasonable too. I'd offer $400 and have it shipped to whatever repair place you chose directly (so as to save your shipping costs). It will come to you like new.

Or, if Calfee OKed the frame just ride it, though I'd still offer $400.