PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous Lawsuits Against Cyclists

LesMiner
10-21-2014, 07:45 AM
I read this Bicycling blog post (http://www.bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/driver-sues-cyclist-she-hit) and was outraged! :eek: Clearly run a cyclist down from the rear then claim damages! The driver is clearly without a doubt at fault. Our legal system allows this but I would hope that someone will throw these suits out before the cyclists has to bear any legal expense.

Veloo
10-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Yeah, saw this on another website. I dunno who's dumber/ worse. This Kionnei Lyons girl that hit him with her out of this world logic or the her legal advisor for taking up her defense.

Mr. Pink
10-21-2014, 08:19 AM
I wonder if these suits are a pre-emptive maneuver to make it more difficult for the cyclist to sue the driver, since they are given a sign right off the bat that it will be expensive and difficult to walk down that road. Hell, you're having to hire a lawyer and spend money to defend yourself, of all things, before even starting your own offense.

Kill them. Kill them all. The lawyers, that is.

Vientomas
10-21-2014, 09:21 AM
How do you know the Plaintiff/Driver has a lawyer?

"Roemer says Lyons’ insurer reimbursed him for his totaled bike and his hospital bills—but now he may have to come up with $2,000 to pay Lyons back after she filed a small claims lawsuit three weeks ago."

I see nothing in the article stating that the Plaintiff/Driver has a lawyer. Most small claims actions do not involve lawyers. The only reference to a lawyer is the Defendant/Cyclist's lawyer. Are you suggesting the Defendant/Cyclist's lawyer should be killed? Or are you suggesting that only lawyers representing clients whose positions you disagree with should be killed?

I assume that when you find yourself or a loved one embroiled in the legal system that you will, of course, refuse to hire a lawyer as a result of your obvious disdain for the profession.

Did you know that of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence, 25 were lawyers and that of the 55 framers of the Constitution, 32 were lawyers?

oldpotatoe
10-21-2014, 09:30 AM
I read this Bicycling blog post (http://www.bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/driver-sues-cyclist-she-hit) and was outraged! :eek: Clearly run a cyclist down from the rear then claim damages! The driver is clearly without a doubt at fault. Our legal system allows this but I would hope that someone will throw these suits out before the cyclists has to bear any legal expense.

Silly lawsuits abound. Not too long ago drunk pilot took off, flew into clouds, came out, hit ground, died. Wife sued A/C manufacturer and won.

And the famous lawsuit with QRs that resulted in lawyer tabs. Used bike, wheel not put on right, wheel came off. Everybody from wheel/bike/QR/bike shop(used bike)were sued and person hurt won.

Btw-some lawyers well worth it, some.

Mr. Pink
10-21-2014, 09:56 AM
How do you know the Plaintiff/Driver has a lawyer?

"Roemer says Lyons’ insurer reimbursed him for his totaled bike and his hospital bills—but now he may have to come up with $2,000 to pay Lyons back after she filed a small claims lawsuit three weeks ago."

I see nothing in the article stating that the Plaintiff/Driver has a lawyer. Most small claims actions do not involve lawyers. The only reference to a lawyer is the Defendant/Cyclist's lawyer. Are you suggesting the Defendant/Cyclist's lawyer should be killed? Or are you suggesting that only lawyers representing clients whose positions you disagree with should be killed?

I assume that when you find yourself or a loved one embroiled in the legal system that you will, of course, refuse to hire a lawyer as a result of your obvious disdain for the profession.

Did you know that of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence, 25 were lawyers and that of the 55 framers of the Constitution, 32 were lawyers?

And a lot were slave owners, too.

Vientomas
10-21-2014, 10:12 AM
And a lot were slave owners, too.

Agreed. But that is not the subject. The subject is you advocating the death of all lawyers.

Are you going to ignore my questions?

ultraman6970
10-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Hope the judge sentence at the cyclist favor.

Her insurance did not pay to fix her car or something? If you have an infinity you have to have the money to maintain that car, duh!.

Tony T
10-21-2014, 10:32 AM
The cyclist was compensated for medical bills, but not for pain and suffering.
The cyclist should find a lawyer and sue the driver.

Mr. Pink
10-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Agreed. But that is not the subject. The subject is you advocating the death of all lawyers.

Are you going to ignore my questions?

jeez, it was a joke. You know, Shakespeare and all that. You a lawyer?

The second suit mentioned, the million dollar emotional trauma thing, sure stinks to high heaven in my book. The only way I can justify it in my mind is what I said - "You may be thinking of suing us, so, think twice about that one..."

notsew
10-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Seems to me like a nutter who watches too much Judge Judy. I'm sure the judge will toss it out and I doubt any lawyers will be involved on either side.

Veloo
10-21-2014, 11:33 AM
This truly is a strange world we live in with crazy lawsuits like these. And Judge Judy becomes the top paid "celeb" on television.