PDA

View Full Version : Campy Polish Recomendation and Sestpost ID Help

msl819
10-20-2014, 11:04 PM
So I bought the bike that I inquired about last week. The components are in real nice shape but need some cleaning and some polishing. What would you guys use? I plan to eventually swap it all over to a CRL that I am going to have refinished. Also, can you guys helps ID the seatpost. It all looks to be Chorus except the hubs which you guys ID'd as Record. Thanks!

msl819
10-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Seatpost

msl819
10-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Rear hub

jtakeda
10-20-2014, 11:06 PM
90s record post. Only made for a couple years. Alloy post not Ti fwiw

9 speed record rear wheel.

msl819
10-20-2014, 11:06 PM
It all came a a real nice Ritchey Road Logic. I knew it was too small when I bought it but sincerely wish it was my size.

msl819
10-20-2014, 11:23 PM
90s record post. Only made for a couple years. Alloy post not Ti fwiw

9 speed record rear wheel.

Thanks... any recommendations on what would be best to polish the seatpost? Everything else seems like a good cleaning is all it needs to come back to life.

bfd
10-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks... any recommendations on what would be best to polish the seatpost? Everything else seems like a good cleaning is all it needs to come back to life.

Try some simichrome polish! Good Luck!

ultraman6970
10-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Super easy to get that back to life, those seatposts arent anodized.

Sand it with 600 grit wet sandpaper and then go to 1000, 1500 or 2000 grit wet sand paper, that will take care of all the crap incusted in the scratches..

Then you need a really good metal polisher (no brazzo ok?) like for example Meguiars Metal Polish Finishing, is almost the same than simichrome and you can get that for 15 bucks in the autoparts store, simichrome if you are lucky you will find it locally, here nobody sells it.

Hope this helps.

ps: the top part, the seatpost clamp pieces, you can use the polisher in those too just to get the crap off the surface, I wont sand those ok? Never done it because no idea what type of finish those 2 pieces have.

merlincustom1
10-21-2014, 01:36 AM
+1 Simichrome.

tmf
10-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Simichrome polish - that's what I've been using since the 80's.

SlowPokePete
10-21-2014, 06:00 AM
Would love to polish up the Campy stuff on my old Cannondale...

SPP

shovelhd
10-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Simichrome is available at any Harley dealer.

thirdgenbird
10-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Replied to your PM. We can get this stuff looking top shelf. If will be a great project for you.

Steelman
10-21-2014, 08:48 PM
The seatpost is 95/96 Record model no. SP-10RE. The 94 post was C Record Aero. The 97 post was identical to yours except the engraving was different. Apparently there was no distinct 98 Record post. The 99 post was Ti. 00 was carbon.

The grease port would indicate that the hub is Record. If it is 9 speed, it is Record Ti from 97/98. 96 hubs were 8 speed. 99 hubs were the new design.

thirdgenbird
10-21-2014, 09:00 PM
The OP sent me an email with more pictures and I replied. After doing so, I decided to provide the message here for others. I hope that is ok.

Here is my initial assessment. I would not strip and polish that group like I did here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=144602
As you can see on page 4, It looks more like chrome than the OEM finish bad you loose all logos. It won't end up perfect, but I think you can make it better. Here is my advice.

1. Tear down all the parts. In cases like the thread above, I disassembled the ENTIRE group, brakes, shifters, everything. Yours looks pretty clean so I wouldn't go that far.
Shifters- don't take these apart unless they need rebuilt
Brake caliper- remove the pad hardware and barrel adjusters (don't take apart the pivots unless gummed up)
Front derailler- remove the cable bolt, clamp bolt, limit screws and the pivot bolt on the back side. Slide the derailleur itself off the clamp
Rear derailleur- remove the limit screws and the pulleys (don't take the pivots apart unless needed)
Crankset- yours looks pretty clean, but I often remove the rings/bolts for a full cleaning
Hubs- If they need serviced, now is the time

2. Clean all of the grease and road grime with a light dawn soap/water mix.

3. If there is rust on hardware (limit screws and such) scrub them with Bar Keepers friend, it should clean the rust right off. A toothbrush will help with both of theses processes.

4. This is where we address damage.
Rear derailleur edge scuff and brake lever tips- they don't look too bad but need addressed
Brake lever faces- I see some black marks and some marks near the chorus logo. Let's wait on this. Doing too much is sometimes worse.

I would try and smooth out the rear derailleur and brake lever tips with 600g sandpaper. Try to keep it just in the scuffs, going beyond this will effect the anodized finish. After it is smooth, hit it with 800g and then 1000. For a mirror finish, I go to 2500g but 1000 should get you close to the OEM finish. After this is done, Use Mothers aluminum polish on all of the alloy parts. Spend extra time on the parts you sanded, and be careful around the logos. Too much polish compound will take them off. You will truly only be polishing the aluminum in the places you sanded (rag will turn black) but the polishing compound should clean up the rest of the parts in the same way you polish a clearcoat on a car.

5. Asses the appearance. If everything is acceptable, skip 6. If the brake levers need attention, see 6.

6. I may need better pictures to advise you here, but I think 800g paper followed by 1000g used very lightly may lessen this without going too far. As before, follow up with mothers polish. Due to the proximity of the logo and this being a noticeable part of the group, I want to be conservative.

7. Final cleanup. I would clean every single loose piece of hardware and every part of the group (including the hubs) with Green Works (not simple green) cleaner. This is a great all purpose cleaner that doesn't leave streaks and will remove any residue from the previous steps. A toothbrush will pay dividends here. The mothers polish will be stuck in all sorts of places.

8. Lay all of the little parts out and admire your work by taking a few pictures.

9. Reassemble all of the parts using proper lubrication.

I don't expect this to be a once and done message, more of a summary of my personal plan of attack. Feel free to contact me along the way with any questions.

thirdgenbird
10-21-2014, 09:07 PM
About the seatpost: it is a lost cause. Send it to my address promptly.

I don't think this particular model is anodized, but I can't say for sure. I've never held that exact post. Regardless, I would finish it to match the stem I were using. Sanding up to 1000g and polish should match a standard silver stem like a cinelli but you could go all the way to 2500 if you wanted it to really shine and match chrome stays or a fork.

Steelman
10-21-2014, 09:14 PM
About the seatpost: it is a lost cause. Send it to my address promptly.

I don't think this particular model is anodized, but I can't say for sure. I've never held that exact post. Regardless, I would finish it to match the stem I were using. Sanding up to 1000g and polish should match a standard silver stem like a cinelli but you could go all the way to 2500 if you wanted it to really shine and match chrome stays or a fork.

You are right, it is not. I have used Mothers Aluminum polish on mine, but get good results with a cleaner auto. wax.

thirdgenbird
10-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Here is a group I cleaned up in a similar fashion. It was in pretty nice shape but very dirty.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/gomango%20rebuild/D6FF8E64-35AF-44B3-8359-9ADE665DF076-641-000000722BF09E30.jpg

And a full polish on some of the worst looking corrosion and wear I've ever seen on a group.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/aluminum%20polish%20work/8A8B510A-D64E-4952-9F4A-E06F915F2BFD_zpswmu5dkox.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/aluminum%20polish%20work/30b7a7d31ffb54ae0754ea8d6a6cfbf7_zps0999f53a.jpg

thirdgenbird
10-21-2014, 09:19 PM
You are right, it is not. I have used Mothers Aluminum polish on mine, but get good results with a cleaner auto. wax.

In that case, you can have that post looking like this with a little work. Again, I would match the stem. In this case, I mirror polished both. The seatpost was fast due to it not having anodization to bother with. If anyone is wondering, I didn't bother with the marks below the limit lines. Not worth it.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/gomango%20rebuild/97962A76-8C10-41AD-BB30-CC2992C79476-323-0000001BED5324A0.jpg