PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo orientation - questions for you

miguel
10-20-2014, 08:11 PM
What is the best location for a dyno light in your opinion? Where is yours located? Where would you like it to be?

I'm working on a little rando/audax survey.

Ken Robb
10-20-2014, 08:44 PM
this depends on the pattern your light throws and what else you have on the front of your bike like racks, bags, fenders, etc. but generally a lower mounting allows a bigger lighted area because the rays shine nearly parallel to the road as opposed to a light mounted higher that shines down and illuminates a shorter, rounder patch of road.

I think it's best to decide where you will mount the light and then buy one with a suitable light pattern for that location.

palincss
10-20-2014, 09:19 PM
What is the best location for a dyno light in your opinion? Where is yours located?

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6124/5979772216_157d850f66_b.jpg

likebikes
10-20-2014, 09:30 PM
I like mine dead center, i.e brake bolt on the fork crown.

When it's on the right side on the rack it distracts me- I feel that it is a compromise between beam shadows, or the beam pattern is compromised.

Or maybe I have it installed incorrectly.

R3awak3n
10-20-2014, 10:08 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/3485006.jpg

I run mine on the right just because my hub connector is on the right (with the Schmidt SONs you can turn them but the same doesn't happen with the SPs and I didnt want to run the wire to the other side of the fork).

I think it would probably be better if it wasnt on the other side for car visibility sake but it works fine.

miguel
10-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys
I'm working on an idea and I need real world input

miguel
10-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Also, dat map

Peter P.
10-21-2014, 06:09 AM
Above the front wheel.

To me it makes no sense to mount it on one fork blade because it will not be visible to car drivers from a wide angle off to one side.

Also, I feel the light is most effective when mounted near a driver's eye height.

4funbikes
10-21-2014, 08:05 AM
My Luxos is mounted to the brake bolt on the fork crown.
I do not run a front rack, so that would dictate a lot of where you mount it.
Front of the rack seems a better option, though potentially load limiting (oversize objects hanging over the rack's edges). Though you could flip it/devise a bracket it to bring it lower than the edges,

The off set mount is a compromise it seems.
Supposing your driving on the right side of the road; your light is potentially blocked/partially blocked from oncoming traffic on the left side.

Left mounted light would pose issues coming to intersections/driveways on your right side having the potentially blocked light

R2D2
10-21-2014, 08:40 AM
I mount my on the right side of my skewer.
Has worked fine in that orientation.

Like a lot of things Rando there's so much variation there is no discernible pattern.

Sometimes I hang a second Luxos under my front bag for bombing down hills on long Brevets . I also use it for charging batteries .

ptourkin
10-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Read this from Peter White: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

Not all dyno lights should be mounted low, near the skewer, as some have suggested. The Luxos specifically states that it should not be mounted down there and is made to be mounted high center. German lights have a specific bean pattern, made for a specific place.