PDA

View Full Version : CX canti brakes

FastforaSlowGuy
10-20-2014, 11:54 AM
During post-race cleanup from my first CX event, I noticed two things:
1. Something is stripped in my EuroX cantis, so the post holding the pad can slip a little bit. Not terrible, but it's allowing the pad to slip slightly too low for the rim.

2. Sandy CX racing does a number on brake pads. Mine were already somewhat worn, so yesterday was a nail in a mostly-built coffin.

So, some questions to the group:
1. If I replace the brakes, what do people recommend for sheer stopping power in a canti brake? I hear Shorty Ultimates and Pauls (which ones?) a lot. They're pricey, but if they really work better it may be worth the spend.

2. I'll be getting my go-to aluminum rim pad (Swissstop BXP, the blue ones). They have a new "evo" design out that supposedly sheds water better. Anyone try it yet?

e-RICHIE
10-20-2014, 11:58 AM
I use Kool-Stop Thinlines in the salmon color atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes::rolleyes::p
:rolleyes::);)
:cool::cool::)

redir
10-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Plus one on the salmon pads.

I hate sand and curse organizers for putting it in the race. Yes sure it's quirky, challenging, different and ever so popular but mostly just fun for spectators and it's a nightmare for your drive train.

I just make a point of running sand now, it's almost always just as fast anyway and then my bike isn't ruined :(

ceolwulf
10-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Depends on the sand but yeah yesterday the guys here that were running the sand were probably quicker than the guys riding it.

nooneline
10-20-2014, 12:48 PM
"Sheer stopping power" and "canti brake" don't really go to well together. Some are better than others, but cantis are always going to be on the low end of the spectrum for sheer stopping power.

If you lack for power with your EuroX, it's time for a narrow-profile canti brake instead of a wide-set one. Even simple, cheap ones like Avid Shorty 4 or 6 can be set up to be reasonably strong. You can spend twenty bucks on those, or two hundred bucks on a nice piece like the TRP RevoX, and probably get pretty similar braking power. The Ultimates' value lies in their switchability between narrow and wide profile. The Shimano CR70 has been getting nice reviews.

bcroslin
10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
TRP Revo X!

Best canti's I've ever used. I've owned Euro-X's and they don't come close to the Revo's. Paul's minimoto's are good but don't modulate much IMO. Shorty's work well but they're not the Revo's. I rode discs last season and went back Revo's this season and I don't miss the discs at all.

bicycletricycle
10-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Salmon koolstops for are

I'm running some campy cx brakes, they are great.

GregL
10-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Best of both worlds: e-RICHIE's Kool Stop salmon pads and nooneline's Avid Shorties. I use this combination and find them both cheap and effective for nearly all 'cross conditions.

- Greg

FastforaSlowGuy
10-20-2014, 02:07 PM
"Sheer stopping power" and "canti brake" don't really go to well together. Some are better than others, but cantis are always going to be on the low end of the spectrum for sheer stopping power.

If you lack for power with your EuroX, it's time for a narrow-profile canti brake instead of a wide-set one. Even simple, cheap ones like Avid Shorty 4 or 6 can be set up to be reasonably strong. You can spend twenty bucks on those, or two hundred bucks on a nice piece like the TRP RevoX, and probably get pretty similar braking power. The Ultimates' value lies in their switchability between narrow and wide profile. The Shimano CR70 has been getting nice reviews.

I thought wide-set brakes carried more power. Wide angle = more leverage = more stopping power?? Maybe I've got my geometry off.

I like the simplicity of canti brakes, and that's what the frameset is built for, so I'm sticking with them.

Jeff Borisch
10-20-2014, 02:14 PM
I really like RevoX. I changed from euroXs because I could not get enough power. Also I like how the revoXs have a vertical slot to move post holder.

The cane creeks that e-Richie uses look like they could be setup to be pretty powerful and Tektro Oryx which are very cheap appear to be basically the same design.

Kool Stop salmons are always a good idea in my book. The stock TRP pads stop decently but are a little bit spongy feeling. I just like a firmer feel.

gforce
10-20-2014, 02:55 PM
It's cyclocross - touch the brakes lightly and you will go faster.

batman1425
10-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Narrow profile = more power. It has to do with the geometry between the lever arm and the cable. Sheldon Brown has a great description of it here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

mtechnica
10-20-2014, 03:55 PM
For sheer stopping power in a cantilever brake I'd suggest buying mini V brakes and depositing the cantilevers in the nearest trash receptacle

pbarry
10-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Anybody have feedback on the Ciamillo canttis? They look good..

FastforaSlowGuy
10-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Anybody have feedback on the Ciamillo canttis? They look good..

They look great in pictures. Then you try to buy them and 2 months later you're back here starting a thread about how he took your money and still hasn't shipped anything.

sandyrs
10-20-2014, 07:22 PM
For sheer stopping power in a cantilever brake I'd suggest buying mini V brakes and depositing the cantilevers in the nearest trash receptacle

Yes. Paul mini motos especially.

Bruce K
10-20-2014, 07:26 PM
PM sent on a set of Paul's cantis

BK

pbarry
10-20-2014, 07:29 PM
They look great in pictures. Then you try to buy them and 2 months later you're back here starting a thread about how he took your money and still hasn't shipped anything.

Glad I didn't bite.

Gummee
10-20-2014, 07:44 PM
TRP Revo X!

Best canti's I've ever used. I've owned Euro-X's and they don't come close to the Revo's. Paul's minimoto's are good but don't modulate much IMO. Shorty's work well but they're not the Revo's. I rode discs last season and went back Revo's this season and I don't miss the discs at all.
So far, this.

I've got RevoX brakes on 2 of 3 of my CX bikes. Just got the last one re-built after selling off all the SRAM parts and haven't ridden it yet. Probably go RevoX all the way round after riding the CXHairs, but for right now, its still has EuroX brakes on it

IME the RevoX seem to work better than Shorty Ultimates for the new Shimano shifters.

M

mecse
10-20-2014, 08:53 PM
During post-race cleanup from my first CX event, I noticed two things:
1. Something is stripped in my EuroX cantis, so the post holding the pad can slip a little bit. Not terrible, but it's allowing the pad to slip slightly too low for the rim.

2. Sandy CX racing does a number on brake pads. Mine were already somewhat worn, so yesterday was a nail in a mostly-built coffin.

So, some questions to the group:
1. If I replace the brakes, what do people recommend for sheer stopping power in a canti brake? I hear Shorty Ultimates and Pauls (which ones?) a lot. They're pricey, but if they really work better it may be worth the spend.

2. I'll be getting my go-to aluminum rim pad (Swissstop BXP, the blue ones). They have a new "evo" design out that supposedly sheds water better. Anyone try it yet?

I've ridden my EuroX's through snow and dirt and gravel for … 2 years? Still perfect. Is everything tightened? they're my fave canti's so far - I have no idea why they're not more popular.

It's not possible to tighten the pad holder?

Corso
10-21-2014, 12:48 PM
I had the same problem with the pad holder on my new euro’s. Bottoming the allen head at the end of the post did not solve the “movement”, as there was a little slop. So I took it apart, found a small washer that fit over the post, and filed opposite “sides” down flat to fit in the holder.Visualize a circle, with a flat top & bottom. Now it tightened up just fine!

I do like the brakes for cross, but for anything else, like the fast downhills at the D2R2 showed their weakness.

I’ll be trying mini-v’s eventually.

Erik_A
10-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Shimano CX70s are the best cantis that I have tried. Many pros run them this season as well, Sven Nys for one.

BSUdude
10-21-2014, 08:28 PM
I haven't tried them all (I have tried neo-retros, avid ultimates), but I'll add another vote for Shimano CX70s. If they are good enough for Sven... Plus, price wise they are a lot cheaper than avid ultimates, upper level TRP stuff, and Paul's neo retros. You can get enough for a whole bike for $100. The stock shimano pads are pretty decent too.

My one complaint is that the spring tension screw has a head for a phillips screw driver rather than an allen key. But it would be easy enough to replace these with allen bolts if I was so inclined. The good news is once I got the tension right I haven't needed to adjust it.

To sum it up, before I used CX70s I was always inclined to try another brake to see if it was better. I don't have that inclination anymore.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-22-2014, 07:24 AM
I haven't tried them all (I have tried neo-retros, avid ultimates), but I'll add another vote for Shimano CX70s. If they are good enough for Sven... Plus, price wise they are a lot cheaper than avid ultimates, upper level TRP stuff, and Paul's neo retros. You can get enough for a whole bike for $100. The stock shimano pads are pretty decent too.

My one complaint is that the spring tension screw has a head for a phillips screw driver rather than an allen key. But it would be easy enough to replace these with allen bolts if I was so inclined. The good news is once I got the tension right I haven't needed to adjust it.

To sum it up, before I used CX70s I was always inclined to try another brake to see if it was better. I don't have that inclination anymore.

Good to hear. Those are quite a lot cheaper than other options I've seen.

curlybro
10-22-2014, 09:39 AM
TRP Mini Vs are excellent. If you're not riding in the mud very often you won't need the clearance that Cantis give you.

TimAZ
10-22-2014, 08:37 PM
I have a pair of Avid Shorty Ultimates I'd let go for $130 dollars shipped. i ran and liked them until my CX bikes became disc bikes.

Tim.

sparky33
10-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Good to hear. Those are quite a lot cheaper than other options I've seen.

Every once in a while you find something that just seems to work well without any fuss... CX70s are like that.

I could put something fancier on my Kirk, but the CX70s do the job so well, and they look alright too....

10-4
10-22-2014, 09:24 PM

I have a brand new set if someone wants to buy them. Of course, they are missing one Ti bolt and a beveled washer, which I can't get from Ted. The brakes have been new in the box for 2 years. 15-20 emails, about 10 phone calls over the course of 2 years and my $400 brakes are still useless.

Yes, I am bitter.

10-4
10-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Oh, and I'll toss another vote in for Shimano CX70 cantis, they work great. GREAT.