PDA

View Full Version : Lets see your utility vehicles on a budget

stien
10-19-2014, 03:24 PM
I should probably update Louis's GTV thread but I actually sold my miata. Sad day but dog #2 and changing needs forces my hand. I don't really enjoy driving like I used to. I love to ride to work a lot more but when I need a car it's dogs and bikes that go inside. We also plan to move to Colorado in the next year or so. So this car I hope will stay with us for that move.

It's a fun mental exercise to run, figure out what vehicle will have the most utility with lowest price of entry and maintenance. I'll probably want to spend around 4-5k.

Top of my SUV list:

FJ80 Land Cruiser
Highlander
Tacoma ext cab
Element

Car/wagon list:
Matrix
Prius (huge inside)
Forester
Impreza or WRX with hitch rack
Golf or Jetta maybe TDI?
A4 (has been recommended) older v6 or newer 1.8t.

What are you guys driving?

I really prefer manual cars but this might be my first slush box. Foresters will probably have the lowest miles for my price range, but Hg issues are abundant.

mktng
10-19-2014, 03:30 PM
What about a Honda Fit?

krhea
10-19-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm curious how you're going to buy any of the SUVs for $4-5,000. We've owned 3 of the 4 on your list and currently have the Element but I don't see any of those vehicles selling for your price range in even close to good condition in my area. The Element prices have been going up ever since it stopped production. We purchased a Jetta TDI wagon a month ago and drove the Element to lot to pick the VW up. The dealership tried their best to purchase our Element out from under us and ours has over 100k on the clock.
Have you actually checked the used prices of the vehicles you are interested in and what kind of condition your price range gets you? With maintenance being your big concern I'd be very careful buying your SUV choices in your price range.

mkbk
10-19-2014, 03:57 PM
but the boys find it very practical and I am learning to live with an automatic.
Tuesday of this week, post hike, appoximately 9000ft on the front range.

texbike
10-19-2014, 04:00 PM
The last generation Mazda3 hatch might fit your needs and budget.

Texbike

jdp211
10-19-2014, 04:48 PM
I've got an Impreza hatch that I love dearly. Not particularly fast or fuel efficient, but fun to drive and lots of room on the roof/inside.

Ralph
10-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Your best bet is vehicles not on your list because they are not popular. Unpopular vehicles depreciate more than sought after ones. Thus....they are better bargains when used.

Example: Forget Tacoma....think Ranger or the Mazda version. They will run almost forever also.

Old Fords and Chevy small utes. They are so fixable and will run a long time. Old Explorers 4 L SOHC (German engine).....a couple generations ago.....will run forever. And are very roomy. problem is you don't think so. So forget popular. Think unpopular. You can find old Dodges cheap. They are so fixable. Mercedes designed engines, and Aisin (Toyota) transmissions. Just avoid the fancy ones, look for more base models.

You can find a decent vehicle in your price range.

gdw
10-19-2014, 05:11 PM
A 10-15 year old 4Runner is an ideal Colorado vehicle for someone who enjoys the outdoors and is on a budget. They offer lots of storage capacity, good highway mileage, low maintenance, and decent ground clearance. We can easily fit two bikes, two dogs, and a week worth of camping gear into ours.

csm
10-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Honda Element. On my second one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fourflys
10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
so it depends if you think you need 4WD or not... if you think you need 4WD, I would go with 4WD and NOT AWD (or at least car-based AWD)...

that being said I live on Kodiak Island Alaska and my 2004 Highlander FWD and it does just fine here, but we don't have a lot if deep snow (mostly rain/ice)...

there are times I wished I'd gone with the 4WD 4Runner... if I were you, I think I'd be looking at early-mid 2000s 4Runner that hasn't been modded out (pretty good sign of issues later on)... I'd LOVE to have an FJ60 Landcruiser, but the gas would kill me... at least anywhere other than on the Island... not a big fan of the FJ80 model...

I'd think you'd be able to find a Forrester in your price range as well... I think I'd stay away from an Audi in that range as I'm not sure they were that good at that time period...

that's my .02 anyway...

BTW- kind of funny, I'm thinking hard about a Miata when I get paroled from this godforsaken island... probably an MSM... I had a 99 when I was in San Diego...

fourflys
10-19-2014, 06:17 PM
A 10-15 year old 4Runner is an ideal Colorado vehicle for someone who enjoys the outdoors and is on a budget. They offer lots of storage capacity, good highway mileage, low maintenance, and decent ground clearance. We can easily fit two bikes, two dogs, and a week worth of camping gear into ours.

agree 100%! Wish I'd done that instead of my '04 Highlander... it's nice, but SO BORING!

ultraman6970
10-19-2014, 06:31 PM
I know you will refuse to drive it but anyhow... get a used minivan, you can fit the dogs, bikes and family in there. A lot of room for the dogs too.

oldpotatoe
10-19-2014, 06:55 PM
I know you will refuse to drive it but anyhow... get a used minivan, you can fit the dogs, bikes and family in there. A lot of room for the dogs too.

Honda Odyssey..

fourflys
10-19-2014, 07:25 PM

if you don't need 4WD, a minivan is great choice! and a Honda or Toyota would be my #1 after not doing that when we had kid #2... I chose to save some cash and regretted it almost immediately...

ultraman6970
10-19-2014, 08:34 PM
If the car is not needed for a lot of years a used minivan (2004- 2006) arent super expensive and with some luck only one person drove it. IN the Highway a minivan is basically a darn train... once at speed they just go. The problem is that are associated with soccer moms and many parents dont see themselves like that, when after all... that's what they are, and at that point you have to be practical and buy the car for what is needed not for the looks no more.

I'm one of the ones that swore (sp) to god at some point... "im not going to drive a minivan EVER"... did not have money, needed a car... I was able to pay for 3 cars at the lot, the best one of all after a test drive was the minivan. I'm lucky with cars too, never a lemon. Now you cant get me off my old POS minivan.

We had a matrix, my 70 pounds dogs barely fit in the back. Kids in their child sits barely fit too. The pasive AWD in the snow was super nice, but as a family car? no... to save your butt in case you need to carry more people car? yes... fuel efficiency wasnt that gear either. Never understood the matrix too good.

Wish the day minivans are diesel here in the states, that will change everything.

jimoots
10-19-2014, 08:45 PM
I have a 1998 Outback with 1998 WRX STI driveline and suspension. Has a boost controller and remote exhaust silencer so can be driven in unobnoxious granny fuel save mode quite easily.

Fun car to drive, loads of room, owes me SFA and nobody pays it a second glance.

Just got some late model stock Liberty/Legacy wheels on it to fit the bigger brakes under them.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/jameswadeyo/Outback/street1.jpg

bikinchris
10-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Subaru Forester. AWD, unlike an earlier poster said is far superior for snowy driving. 4WD is superior for muddy dirt roads and the like.
For moving bikes and such, a Ford Transit Connect would be great. The newer ones are going to be out of your budget, but maybe you can find an older one. FWD works fine in the snow.
Ford is giving away a new TC for people who have interesting lives. You get to tell a story and win it and a chance to get on a reality show.

mtechnica
10-19-2014, 09:02 PM
I miss my miata. For utility it's hard to beat a 4 cyl 2wd pickup, wagons are nice but ones that are reliable and also get good gas mileage are expensive (or tiny). Not a subaru fan, just don't like how they feel or handle compared to cars with better chassis like BMW or sport specific rwd cars, they also get mediocre gas mileage and seem to need more maintenance with things like axles and wheel bearings than normal RWD cars.

StanleySteamer
10-19-2014, 09:04 PM
What about a Nissan Xterra?

pbarry
10-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Get something cheap and dependable to get you by 'till you move. Vehicles have much less rust here, especially if you are looking at 10 year old models.

Lot's of clean unmodified Toyotas around, (other than Tacomas which seem to be a magnet for lift kits and everything else). 4Runners are great before and after the 3.0 6cyl, which ended in '95. Almost called on an '89 with 200k for $2k last week. Perfect vehicle for dogs and bikes.

Previa all-trac, if you can find one that's been well maintained and doesn't have too many miles, is the bomb. Sienna with AWD also good. Wait on an FJ till CO, or buy one in the south.

xjoex
10-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4, 4cyl. 24mpg and a beast in the snow.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FT8nkOBm23Y/UNt_sbyf6EI/AAAAAAAAST4/o9zSoO1hTLg/s912/PC260196.jpg

-Joe

fourflys
10-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Subaru Forester. AWD, unlike an earlier poster said is far superior for snowy driving.

I would agree with you when it comes to a Subie... I was speaking more to most of the systems they put on passenger cars or passenger car-based SUVs...

also, just curious... why do you think a 4WD is better suited to Mud and AWD to snow? I will admit a locker is nice to have in snow with a 4WD... not trying to argue, just curious...

Tony
10-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Honda Element has served my wife and I well as a camping/ninja camping vehicle. We have camped in the element all over the CA coast.
I took out the back seats, there is enough room for my wife and I and our 65lbs Airedale to sleep inside comfortably. On several occasions we also had our two bikes inside with us and the dog :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/107709068384636814318/albums/5921098299235325025

xjoex
10-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I would agree with you when it comes to a Subie... I was speaking more to most of the systems they put on passenger cars or passenger car-based SUVs...

also, just curious... why do you think a 4WD is better suited to Mud and AWD to snow? I will admit a locker is nice to have in snow with a 4WD... not trying to argue, just curious...

I can't speak for the other person. But my wife has a forester. With studded snows it is great in the snow. One really nice thing about AWD vs 4WD is that you never have to turn it on. So if you encounter bad weather you don't have to shift in to 4WD.

That said, I love my little truck.

Cheers,
-Joe

pbarry
10-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4, 4cyl. 24mpg and a beast in the snow.

-Joe

One of the best ever! Sadly, the single cab Tacoma is no longer offered, AND, the 2.7 4cyl/manual trans/4wd is not available west of PA, at least in my digging around for that configuration for 2015. The T website states, "Not available in your region. Please contact your local dealer for more information." :help:

fourflys
10-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I can't speak for the other person. But my wife has a forester. With studded snows it is great in the snow. One really nice thing about AWD vs 4WD is that you never have to turn it on. So if you encounter bad weather you don't have to shift in to 4WD.

That said, I love my little truck.

Cheers,
-Joe

I hear you Joe... BTW- your pic above makes me so envious! I wish I had that kind of snow and trails here in Kodiak!

bikinchris
10-19-2014, 10:08 PM

The power split between front and rear axles is not adjustable on 4WD. Torque vectoring can help keep you on the road on AWD. With a 4WD in a turn (at higher speeds), you can swap ends of the vehicle when the wheels on one axle spin out because they are being driven just as hard as the others. A 4WD with traction control (brakes are applied on each wheel as needed) can help relieve that, though. But not many 4WD vehicles have that, since 4WD is more for towing and crawling on really loose and muddy terrain with the low gearing.

fourflys
10-19-2014, 11:41 PM
The power split between front and rear axles is not adjustable on 4WD. Torque vectoring can help keep you on the road on AWD. With a 4WD in a turn (at higher speeds), you can swap ends of the vehicle when the wheels on one axle spin out because they are being driven just as hard as the others. A 4WD with traction control (brakes are applied on each wheel as needed) can help relieve that, though. But not many 4WD vehicles have that, since 4WD is more for towing and crawling on really loose and muddy terrain with the low gearing.

I guess I could see that...

stien
10-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Wow! I made this thread and fell directly asleep. Thanks for the replies guys!

Odyssey is a good option! They are getting cheap. Mileage sucks on all of these of course.

Basically all of my choices are available in my price range but it's all about how beat up a vehicle I'm willing to purchase. I'm going to look at a 2002 highlander with 150k today but that's a lot of miles. In thinking subies will probably be lower miles for the price. Foresters are definitely getting down there.

texbike
10-20-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm going to look at a 2002 highlander with 150k today but that's a lot of miles.

I wouldn't worry too much about 150K miles on a Toyota. Have you ever seen the Top Gear episode about killing a Toyota? Classic! :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjodA8 .

Texbike

weisan
10-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Had the same idea years ago when we were living in St Louis. Saw an ad on craigslist, went down to meet with the seller in a neighboring town about 45 mins away, looks to me that the car has been in a flood or something, can smell a bit of mold, ended buying that piece of "junk", had a bit of fixing up to do, but none beyond my mechanical abilities so took the chance.

Dodge Grand Caravan SE

Paid $325

Great in terms of storage and utility. We owned another caravan at that time, ended up using some of the parts to fix a few things here and there, ended up saving some money too as the parts alone cost upward of a thousand dollar.

tumbler
10-20-2014, 09:04 AM

Great advice. An early 2000's 4Runner will do everything you need and run like a top. Fantastic cars.

xjoex
10-20-2014, 10:11 AM

You have an open invitation to visit if you ever pass through!

-Joe

gdw
10-20-2014, 10:14 AM
"Get something cheap and dependable to get you by 'till you move. Vehicles have much less rust here, especially if you are looking at 10 year old models"

+1 The ideal vehicle for Colorado really depends on how you intend to use it. If you're just driving pavement or maintained dirt roads a car or minivan will work out well. If you're into the outdoors and want to access remote mtb and hiking trails or explore some of the old mountain passes you'll need a vehicle with clearance and four wheel drive.

gngroup
10-20-2014, 10:17 AM
I picked up a 2001 Range Rover a few years back for $4,900! It only had 75k miles. Has been absolutely problem free. Arguably the best four wheel drive vehicle and a ton of luxury items (auto dimming mirrors, seat memory, dual climate heat/AC, heated seats, etc.).

They can be expensive to fix but they were so overpriced to begin with and have depreciated so much that it's hard to go wrong with one that's in good shape.

ultraman6970
10-20-2014, 10:19 AM
325? that's a steal... new carpet can be bought online, same with seats and for that price worth the shot.

If you still have an old minivan, put an extra inline tranny cooler in front of the radiator and that transmission will last forever.

Had the same idea years ago when we were living in St Louis. Saw an ad on craigslist, went down to meet with the seller in a neighboring town about 45 mins away, looks to me that the car has been in a flood or something, can smell a bit of mold, ended buying that piece of "junk", had a bit of fixing up to do, but none beyond my mechanical abilities so took the chance.

Dodge Grand Caravan SE

Paid $325

Great in terms of storage and utility. We owned another caravan at that time, ended up using some of the parts to fix a few things here and there, ended up saving some money too as the parts alone cost upward of a thousand dollar.

4funbikes
10-20-2014, 05:35 PM
You mentioned the Toyota Matrix;

It's cheaper brother would be the Pontiac Vibe GT. AWD, same running gear as the matrix XR, but it has a Pontiac badge so it's a fraction of the price.

Chevy Astro vans came in an AWD version as well. The Vortec 4.3 v6 in those is a tough lump of iron.

bikinchris
10-20-2014, 07:05 PM

And on AWD, you can have as much as 90% of driving power go to only one wheel. The wheel with traction. But AWD is not great for deep snow or mud because the gearing is too high and usually the ground clearance is terrible.

fourflys
10-20-2014, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about 150K miles on a Toyota. Have you ever seen the Top Gear episode about killing a Toyota? Classic! :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjodA8 .

Texbike

agree, I've got over 100k on my '04 with no issues whatsoever and will prob be driving it across the country this summer...

tiretrax
10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
If you don't need something bigger than the Jetta wagon or a Tiguan, I'd get a lease on one. Quirk VW in Braintree is having a sign and drive with low rates - I'm considering flying to Boston to get one because my dealer won't have that deal for a few months, and I need a car now. I think it limits you to 10k per year, but when you get to Colorado, you won't want to go anywhere else.

FlashUNC
10-20-2014, 08:54 PM
I've currently got a 2010 Mk VI GTI that stilll scratches that Golf portion of your list.

Its insanely practical even as the sportier version of the Golf. The rear seats don't fold flat, but still plenty of room and utility. Really does sit five in relative comfort with actual leg room in the rear, and handled the cross country drive for our move this summer with ease. And the GTI tends to go like stink too, which doesn't hurt.

I do worry about some of the rather well-known VW quirks long-term. (Electrics, etc.) But so far it's been trouble free.

I'd also recommend a Jeep if you haven't looked at them. Before the GTI, I had a Wrangler (97 TJ) that I beat to death for darn near a decade. All it ever needed was a water pump, which is a wear item anyways. Could not kill the thing and it was a blast off road, even in stock form.