PDA

View Full Version : Help seeking Campy wizard NYC

UKBROOKLYN
10-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Changed my front Der yesterday and managed to spin the innards of the left hand Chorus 11 speed Ergo Lever.
No problem right .. get out the tools and fix it.. wrong.. can't get this thing back together again.

Anyone know a decent Campy guy in NYC who could put this back together for me...

Thanks,,

nooneline
10-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Conrad's Bike Shop. End of story.

UKBROOKLYN
10-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Is there a lower cost alternative ??

happycampyer
10-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Yep, Conrad's, or perhaps Mark Purdy at ifixbyx.

Edit: just saw that you were looking for a lower cost alternative—not sure how Mark compares to Conrad's.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Is there a lower cost alternative ??

I'd say pay to get it right.

I'll do it for $45 plus ship back and forth.

rwerkudara
10-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Friends with campy have had good service at Silk Road Cycles in Brooklyn: http://www.silkroadcycles.net

UKBROOKLYN
10-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Spuds are my favorite fruit but the farm aint so close thats why I am checking local first.. good news is I had a group of SR sitting on the shelf for that Moots I am thinking of,, so I am still on the road..

Got to go get measured somewhere this week..

UKBROOKLYN
10-18-2014, 01:16 PM
I live up the street from them.. they never struck me as being a shop that could do re builds.. More a setup and lube job place..
What did your friends have done.

malcolm
10-18-2014, 01:18 PM
several good videos on you tube

RedRider
10-18-2014, 01:33 PM
The only Campy Pro Shop in Brooklyn is R&A Cycles. They will have any small parts you will need to rebuild the lever, in stock.
Installing the new stuff is not a problem for a decent bike shop but rebuilding the guts of a lever is beyond the skill most good, "young" mechanics who are used to replacing or warrantying broken parts. That's why Campy gives out the Pro Shop designation to shops that stock the small parts and have mechanics with the experience.
Some of the Campy distributors will rebuild levers for bike shops since there are so few shops that have the parts, knowledge or even care to offer the service.

UKBROOKLYN
10-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Only videos I could find were 10 speed.. got links ??

The parts seem to all be there nothing broke but just can't get it back together

malcolm
10-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Only videos I could find were 10 speed.. got links ??

The parts seem to all be there nothing broke but just can't get it back together

I've not looked for 11spd, sorry all my campy stuff is 9 and 10

malcolm
10-18-2014, 02:30 PM
quick search and of course didn't find 11spd video but did find a long thread on the topic across the hall. I didn't read it but it may have something helpful if you want to check it out

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f40/rebuilding-campagnolo-11-shifters-34788.html

happycampyer
10-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Here's an interesting thread on the NYCC message board that mentions Sid's, Conrad's and Mark Purdy at ifixbyx and one poster mentioned that he sent his shifter to OldPotatoe!

http://nycc.org/message-board/campy-lever-rebuild/57159

I would also add Justin at Signature to the list. R&A might be a Campy Pro Shop, but I think I'd rather convert all of my bikes to Shimano before dealing with them, although "Happyshimanoer" doesn't have a very good ring.

UKBROOKLYN
10-18-2014, 04:13 PM
I decided to just drop it off at Conrads and see what he says. Will follow up

r_mutt
10-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Purdy could rebuild a lever no problem.

fwiw, nycvelo has Campagnolo Pro Shop status. i've no experience with service there in a few years .the manager chris is a good guy though.

lhuerta
10-18-2014, 06:58 PM
R&A might be a Campy Pro Shop, but I think I'd rather convert all of my bikes to Shimano before dealing with them...

+1000. R&A and Pro Shop should never b used in the same sentence.

UKBROOKLYN, Sids was the right choice. Next time feel free to bring it to me...I will only charge u a sixpack. Lou

ultraman6970
10-18-2014, 07:28 PM
THe campagnolo 11 you have is the easiest to put back together compared with the 10 speed record ones generation.

binouye
10-18-2014, 08:08 PM
No Campy shop in my area. The one rebuild I needed I mailed the Ergo to OldPotatoe, who it got it back to me quickly and for reasonable cost.

cash05458
10-18-2014, 09:14 PM
I'd say pay to get it right.

I'll do it for $45 plus ship back and forth.

thought you retired Pete? good to know!!!!

oldpotatoe
10-19-2014, 06:36 AM
thought you retired Pete? good to know!!!!

Still have a shop at home, build some wheels, do some ERGO work, tubular glue-on type stuff...Campagnolo only tho, for anybody local(or not).

Just PM or email..

UKBROOKLYN
10-28-2014, 05:58 AM
So I decided to take it to Conrads just before closing on Sunday evening and got it back Thursday.. 35 plus tax..happy face.

V.Happy, works a charm..

Thanks all for the words and offers and advice..

fuzzalow
10-28-2014, 06:14 AM
So I decided to take it to Conrads just before closing on Sunday evening and got it back Thursday.. 35 plus tax..happy face.

V.Happy, works a charm..

Thanks all for the words and offers and advice..

Good to hear that. Next time you are in the shop ask again why he doesn't have a Conrad's NYC t-shirt available.* ;)

Conrad's NYC is probably the longest standing Campagnolo Pro Shop in town if not the longest standing bike shop in town period. Toga was around from the old days, everybody else is Johnny-Come-Lately. R&A in 'da boro might have been around from then too but who would willingly subject themselves to that misery.

P.S. Answer: He just doesn't wanna do them. He won't, and doesn't have to, give his reasons.

fiamme red
10-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Good to hear that. Next time you are in the shop ask again why he doesn't have a Conrad's NYC t-shirt available.* ;)Do they have "victim of the press" lapel buttons for sale?

(Anyone who knew Sarah back in the day will get my reference. :) )