PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

tjk23
10-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Does anyone feel like having a computer on their bike has made them a better rider? I know power meters are probably game changers, so I'm not talking about them. The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of selling my Garmin to fund changes to my bike.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Does anyone feel like having a computer on their bike has made them a better rider? I know power meters are probably game changers, so I'm not talking about them. The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of selling my Garmin to fund changes to my bike.

Are the 'changes to the bike' more important to you than the Garmin? I rode with a computer, felt it did nothing, took it off..about 18 years ago.

Davist
10-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Actually, I recently took mine off because it was getting flakey. I think I'm better off without it, keep up on group rides and solo at my own pace. I have the iPhone/strava in the back pocket for post ride review if necessary. Trying to avoid "staring at the stem" like Froome! :)

ultraman6970
10-18-2014, 08:15 AM
I started cycling so long ago that we did not have computers :P Even when I retire like the 2nd or 3rd gen of cateye computers was in the market already and even then I did not get one.

Here in the states I got one just because of the trends... Ok... "I might try one now..." after 2 weekends I took it off, wasting half of the ride looking at the thing...

For a racer a good computer can be a good help because they can check out their training progress almost live and program the progress better but for an average joe that rides only during the weekends?? better spend the money in taking the wife for dinner or send me one tubular as a gift :p

IMO any type of computer is just not necessary (for an average joe) if your cycling fundamentals are strong, and that's the main problem. Some guys fundamentals are just so bad that no computer will fix that, besides some just refuse to learn and you can't fight that at all. Have a friend that race time to time, his fundamentals are just bad, he is doing intervals and stuff but his ride has a problems with basics, no intervals (that somebody told him to do or found in a magazine) will fix his problem. And that takes me to LBS's, but i wont go there at least today LOL

biker72
10-18-2014, 09:15 AM

Not a better rider but my Garmin Touring is invaluable in a strange city. Less chance of me getting lost. Notice I said less....:)

bluemax
10-18-2014, 09:52 AM
I don't usually ride with one anymore, but used to back when I raced. Even now I will work harder if I have a mph display in front of me.

carpediemracing
10-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Part of what I enjoy about cycling is the data logging. I do race but I think I'd enjoy it even if I didn't. For example for my car I got a similar thing, like a "powermeter" if you will. It recorded and displayed G forces (so sort of similar to watts in cycling in that a driver really has no idea what Gs they'd be pulling without prior data to work with). All I did was commute to/from work but I enjoyed analyzing the data.

What surprised me is how little G forces the car experienced even in "hard curves" (.85-.9G in entrance/exit ramps) and how high I could spike the G forces when taking a 90 degree turn at a stop light (1.02G max). Also surprising was how low the G forces were when I started to chicken out in the rain (0.7G). Finally the (lack of) G forces when accelerating was a bit stunning given what I thought was happening.

The data I accumulated let me get a bit more perspective on the numbers I see thrown around in the car racing world. I can't imagine a 4 or 5G turn, as sustained in F1 in high speed curves.

In fact I'd rather have data analyzing on a lessor car than spend money on, say, better tires (the best return for the money from what I could see with the car).

Likewise with my bike I have an SRM. I like checking out the graphs and some of the numbers. It gives me some numbers that give me an idea of where I stand, relative to myself as well as others.

I do log on Strava but that's primarily to illustrate the lack of importance of training relative to racing, at least at the grassroots level.

Although not very logical I don't use data to set my training, to pace myself, etc. I just go how hard I want to go, the data will follow. Mentally I'm way past the time where I'd do intervals etc.

I do glance down now and then at the computer but that's about it, usually for a sanity check on cadence, to check the time (I don't wear a watch nowadays and my phone/Strava is in my pocket), or to see just how bad I am while I climb some random hill.