PDA

View Full Version : Rim design question...

tbushnel
03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
I am trying to finalize my choice of tubular rim to use on a wheelset that will be used on a fixed gear bike that gets riden both on the road and the track. I was going to go with a semi aero (30mm deep, 20mm wide roughly) mostly because I wanted to build a sturdy wheelset (though I am not a large person)but it seems the box design is pretty easy to get (I wanted to use FIR rims). What would be the reasons to go with one design over the other? I am not trying to build a particularly light wheelset (Phil Wood hubs, 32hole).
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers,
Ted. :banana:

Too Tall
03-15-2006, 07:35 PM
If you are going to have one tubular fixed wheelset I would not hesitate to recommend a reflex rim.

ergott
03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
FIR ST 120 rims are real nice. Just note that the importer is dropping them so they might get hard to come by like Ambrosio these days.

musgravecycles
03-15-2006, 09:37 PM
the Velocity Pro-Elite (I think that's what it's called...) which is back in production again is a wonderful rim. it's the tubular version of the Deep-V. 30mm deep 19mm wide...

ergott
03-15-2006, 09:59 PM
the Velocity Pro-Elite (I think that's what it's called...) which is back in production again is a wonderful rim. it's the tubular version of the Deep-V. 30mm deep 19mm wide...

mmm... nice rim indeed :)

tbushnel
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Eric, do you think the box section rims (FIR ST120, Mavic reflex) are a better rim to build a general purpose wheel as was suggested (I think) by TT?

Ted.

H.Frank Beshear
03-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I know where there is a set of NOS mavic cxp 30's? 33's .28 hole silver tubular deep section. Not sure what the shop would want for them but I can find out if your interested. Frank

CalfeeFly
03-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Light and strong the old oymoron can be achieved with...

Ambrosio F 20 Crono rims (340 grams but strong) Sampim spokes mostly Lasers but on the drive side they will be Race and my King Hubs. They should build up in the 1400 gram range or a little less yet be strong.

These are an old team favorite before all the factory wheels and such.

Fir also makes excellent rims. My box from them is a clincher however.

Box rims are very strong yet not heavy. Going high profile means more weight so it is the last thing you want to do.

You will need to hunt a little more to find these but the hunt will be worth it. PLUS you won't have a Mavic like everybody else. :banana: (They make an excellent rim but enough already! ;) )

Karbon
03-16-2006, 06:28 PM
FIR ST 120 rims are real nice. Just note that the importer is dropping them so they might get hard to come by like Ambrosio these days.

FIR closed their doors because of bankruptcy I heard recently in a store.

ergott
03-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Eric, do you think the box section rims (FIR ST120, Mavic reflex) are a better rim to build a general purpose wheel as was suggested (I think) by TT?

Ted.

I am all over the Reflex/Fir ST 120 style rims, but I'm about to try something different and get some first hand feedback. I would say the for general riding, the benefit of a aero rim that is as robust as a Velocity Pro Elite or CXP 30 is two fold. They are extremely durable and aero while the weight penalty is not an issue for most riding conditions. That said, using rims like the Fir, Mavic and Ambrosio varieties do not make bad wheels in any way. I love the look of traditional box section rims and I'm not about to part with the three sets I have.

tbushnel
03-16-2006, 10:55 PM
I think I am going to go with the FIR ST 120s. I already have CXP33s in clincher rims, so I will try and balance things out with box section rims this time. Its that third set that will be a tough choice :rolleyes:

Frank, thanks for offering your help. I might have jumped at the rims, but I need 32 hole rims. Thanks anyway.

cheers,
Ted.

CalfeeFly
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
FIR closed their doors because of bankruptcy I heard recently in a store.

Bummer. :mad:

stevep
03-17-2006, 06:28 AM
go on line and see if you can find a pr of old mavic mach 2 cd-2 rims.
semi aero, reasonable weight, very strong
wish they made stuff like this still...
even the older gp-4s were much lighter than the current ones.
maybe a gl-330 for the front... not probably fro track use though.

Too Tall
03-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Eric, you are suuuuch a tease. What are you building?

ergott
03-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Eric, you are suuuuch a tease. What are you building?

PArts are in and I'm ready to build sometime this weekend. I've been overspamped this last week. Just after recovering from a virus, I'm finishing up hell week at the HS. We are putting on a production of The Wiz and last night was the first night. If you don't know what hell week is Mon. through Wed., I got to the school at 7:15AM and got home at 9:00PM. Doesn't leave a lot of building time. :crap:

Tonight, second show and, well it's FRIDAY NIGHT!!
Tomorrow, last show and rush off to play at O'Reillly's in Oakdale.
http://www.hofstraalumnijazz.com/

Man, next week will feel like cake.