PDA

View Full Version : Vecchiois in Bicycling Mag

LegendRider
10-17-2014, 05:31 AM
http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/best-bike-shops-vecchios-bicicletteria?cid=NL_BIK_1879924_BIK_10172014_best _bike_shops

Please open one in Atlanta!

(sorry for the typo in the title - it's early)

oldpotatoe
10-17-2014, 08:43 AM
http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/best-bike-shops-vecchios-bicicletteria?cid=NL_BIK_1879924_BIK_10172014_best _bike_shops

Please open one in Atlanta!

(sorry for the typo in the title - it's early)

Good on Jim, he's doing well.

redir
10-17-2014, 08:52 AM
I've not been out there in a long time but always make it a point to stop in when in Boulder. Beer huh? Hmmm I didn't know that!

witcombusa
10-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Yep, looks like the shop was left in good hands to carry on :banana:

what's with "oilburner" in the comments? Peter, old friend of yours?

Hawker
10-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Great shop, a destination visit whenever I'm in the area.

jr59
10-17-2014, 09:04 AM
the comments left by Oily, are pretty funny!

bobswire
10-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Yep, according to her, Peter was not a cuddly touchy-feelie kinda guy. Say it ain't so Peter!:eek:

Gsinill
10-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Yep, reminds me of those infamous 1-Star Yelp restaurant reviews:
"Food was excellent, drink selection was great, prices OK but their service sucks:
We didn't get seated for 3 min. and then had to wait another 2 min. (!) for the waiter to bring us water. We will never go back!"

shovelhd
10-17-2014, 11:25 AM
There's one in every crowd.

KidWok
10-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Re: oilburner comments....that's pretty hilarious. Elliott Bay here in Seattle was like that too. It's a tough balance...I don't think there's anything wrong with a shop dedicating themselves to a smaller niche in cycling rather than handling all the cycling demands of consumers. There are ways to do that gracefully too. If you have enough people who appreciate your expertise in that niche to stay in business, more power to you. As much as I love the guys at Elliott Bay, I had several friends that I referred to the shop (almost all female) that were put off by their demeanor. There are/were a few shops here in Seattle that made themselves more boutique by focusing purely on high end service and custom bike fitting/ordering. I think a business owner that does that has to have a lot of love for bikes and cycling in general, but there's nothing like doing something that you love for work to diminish that love. I see those types of shops close more often, with the owner sometimes saying they've reached the point of burn out.

Tai

oldpotatoe
10-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Yep, looks like the shop was left in good hands to carry on :banana:

what's with "oilburner" in the comments? Peter, old friend of yours?

Think I know who she is. Sold her a Waterford. Our biggest 'issue' was we were 3 guys. Oh well, can't please everybody. We called her 'black cloud', not a very happy camper.

FlashUNC
10-17-2014, 02:40 PM
One of my regrets on the cross-country move was not stopping in Boulder to see Vecchios.

Seems like my kinda place.

Course, in the Bay Area I feel ridiculously spoiled for choice when it comes to shops.

cash05458
10-17-2014, 08:54 PM
man, Pete...oilburner sounds like my sorta gal...got her number?:rolleyes:

Louis
10-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Neat, but I don't understand why did Jim felt obliged to respond to nearly every single comment.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2014, 06:20 AM
Neat, but I don't understand why did Jim felt obliged to respond to nearly every single comment.

Social media type thing..I suspect. Something I generally ignored. I was stuck in the 70s, after all, like oilburner said..ya know, understand how things work, fix them..no BS. Say hello, help, or not. Not there to kiss anybody's ring.

Gotta love the anonomity of the inter web. I wonder if she ever asked to discuss her concerns with us? I know the answer to that one. Easier to complain on a anonymous blog.