PDA

View Full Version : Campy vs. Shimano lockrings?

dvancleve
10-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Howdy folks.

I regularly see Campy hubs for sale that show a lock ring in the picture, but the text says the lock ring is not included. AFAIK, with Campy the Lockring stays with the hub, with Shimano the lockring stays with the cassette. Campy lockrings are expensive when you need to track one down because it wasn't included with the hub. Am I wrong on this?

Doug

LJohnny
10-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Don't get me started on skewers and wheelsets... :)

thirdgenbird
10-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Campagnolo lock rings used to come with the hub, now they come with the cassette. I think it switched in the very early 2000s. I had 10spd lock rings coming out of my ears for a while.

dvancleve
10-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Huh, good to know. It's quite possible I haven't purchased a new campy cassette since nine speed was the current standard... Perhaps I should edit the subject of my initial post :eek:

Doug

dvancleve
10-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Yeah, no kidding. When you buy wheels with something like Dura-Ace or Record hubs and the skewers are not included, those suckers are pricey if you want to get the matching ones….

Doug

Don't get me started on skewers and wheelsets... :)

lhuerta
10-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Campagnolo lock rings used to come with the hub, now they come with the cassette. I think it switched in the very early 2000s. I had 10spd lock rings coming out of my ears for a while.

...the switch happened in 2009 when 11-speed cassettes were introduced.

thirdgenbird
10-15-2014, 11:02 PM
...the switch happened in 2009 when 11-speed cassettes were introduced.

Are you sure?

I've got no less than 6 Campagnolo lock rings. I can't see how I would have accumulated that many since 2009. [insert embarrassed face here]

Edit:
I guess I did convert from 8 to 10 around 2008... Maybe I caught some wheels/hubs with lock rings and then bought cassettes with them as well. That would all make perfect sense.

aaronf
10-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Ten speed generation hubs came with the lockring suitable for 12+ smallest cog.
11T 10sp cassettes came with 11T-specific lockring.
Cassettes with 12T or greater smallest cog did not come with lockrings, until 11sp, then all (including 10 and 11 speed) came with appropriate lockrings.
There are probably some exceptions to the above, as Campagnolo does whatever they feel is right/makes sense to them at the time.
Clear as mud?

oldpotatoe
10-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Howdy folks.

I regularly see Campy hubs for sale that show a lock ring in the picture, but the text says the lock ring is not included. AFAIK, with Campy the Lockring stays with the hub, with Shimano the lockring stays with the cassette. Campy lockrings are expensive when you need to track one down because it wasn't included with the hub. Am I wrong on this?

Doug

Depends on the era. Early gen 9s hubs, came with a lockring. 8s came with the cogset. Currently, they come with the cogset, 10s and 11s(and 9s and 8s, BTW).

dvancleve
10-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys. All I know for sure is that a lockring for a 9S old style hub is kinda pricey/hard to find. So are Campy lockrings cheap now? Other than the 11T and 12+T versions, are they all the same from later model 9S through 11S?

Doug

fogrider
10-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys. All I know for sure is that a lockring for a 9S old style hub is kinda pricey/hard to find. So are Campy lockrings cheap now? Other than the 11T and 12+T versions, are they all the same from later model 9S through 11S?

Doug

no. there was a year or two, I think around 97-98 when campy made a 26.0 lockring. this lockring is smaller than the current lockrings, just a little smaller. it cost me 37 bucks! off ebay. I checked a few local shops and they didn't have it and couldn't get it. I found a nice campy wheel for 25 bucks and it looked brand new, the guy didn't mention that the hub took a 26.0 lockring and it didn't come with the wheel. at least the wheel has be rock solid from day one!

dvancleve
10-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah, this is what I was talking about as well. I got a set of wheels on eBay that were perfect for a project, all I was really looking for was that they were 9S compatible. When I got them (of course), I discovered that none of the lockrings I have would fit. I ended up buying an expensive 26.0 a lockring as well. It's quite possible that's the only one I've ever purchased separate from the hub, now that I think about it…

Doug

no. there was a year or two, I think around 97-98 when campy made a 26.0 lockring. this lockring is smaller than the current lockrings, just a little smaller. it cost me 37 bucks! off ebay. I checked a few local shops and they didn't have it and couldn't get it. I found a nice campy wheel for 25 bucks and it looked brand new, the guy didn't mention that the hub took a 26.0 lockring and it didn't come with the wheel. at least the wheel has be rock solid from day one!

thirdgenbird
10-16-2014, 11:03 PM
The 26mm ring is the oddball. The newer ones are very prevalent. The 10spd ones now come with every cassette but are built to last a lifetime.