PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Milk

scrooge
03-15-2006, 06:34 AM
With all this talk about recovery drinks etc, thought I'd throw this into the mix:

That's the ad slogan UPMC sports nutritionist Leslie Bonci suggests the American Dairy Council ought to be pitching to energy-depleted, hard-training athletes.

Recent research has shown that the drink is as good or better than products like Gatorade and Endurox R4 when it comes to replacing fluids and carbohydrates.

"I was at a Gatorade sports supplement convention this summer, and every researcher said chocolate milk works just as well," said Ms. Bonci, director of sports nutrition for the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine.

That was the conclusion of a 2004 study at Indiana University at Bloomington, Ind., in which the two manufactured products and chocolate milk were tested on elite bicyclists. The study has just been accepted for publication in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and it also was presented to the American College of Sports Medicine last year.

Joel Stager, a kinesiology professor and director of Indiana's Counsilman Center for the Science of Swimming, oversaw the research.

"The milk was twice as effective as [Endurox]," he said. "It was just as effective as Gatorade."

The idea for the study came while he was working as a club swimming coach. A young swimmer brought in an expensive can of powder for mixing a fluid and carbohydrate replacement drink and Dr. Stager thought the ingredients looked familiar. He walked through a grocery store until he found the label he was looking for -- on a carton of chocolate milk.

"We knew before we took this into the lab that it was going to work," he said.

Chocolate milk contains a slew of other healthful ingredients: a high protein component, calcium, riboflavin and Vitamin D, among others.

The caloric content of milk, however, is higher than that of the other drinks. "Milk has more because of the fat proteins in carbohydrates," Dr. Stager said. "That is one of the dilemmas. Our next study is designed to control calorie content and other carbohydrate content."

But the higher calories are not a major problem. Many elite athletes fail to eat enough because they are too tired, and, Ms. Bonci said, and drinking their nutrition is easier.

"The amount of chocolate in milk is not enormous," she said. "It's maybe 50 extra calories. The chocolate is used in adding carbohydrates and taste and that's critical.

"It's a fluid, it's got carbohydrates, calcium and protein. Sounds pretty good to me."

Too Tall
03-15-2006, 07:00 AM
You pretty well captured what the Gatorade folks came up with and failed to market waaay waaay long ago. As I recall the founder created a private company and marketed a milk based energy drink line...can't remember the name.

Anywho, during our first PAC tour we didn't have good sports products and basically rode from Dairy Queen to Dairy Queen...not kidding, they were marked on the queue sheets! Works great for endurance.

dauwhe
03-15-2006, 07:41 AM
My favorite drink!

shaq-d
03-15-2006, 11:01 AM
warm chocolate milk or warm gatorade? u decide...

sd

Sandy
03-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Does a brown cow make chocolate milk?

Sandy

Too Tall
03-15-2006, 12:27 PM
It's been done....yeah, doable.

Mad Cow(tm) "It's not your fathers Red Bull.

Kevan
03-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Does a brown cow make chocolate milk?

Sandy

the stirring it. Hence, cow tipping.

Too Tall
03-15-2006, 01:23 PM
They have a twelve step program for that I herd.

Sandy
03-15-2006, 01:29 PM
So does a white cow make white milk and an orange cow make orange juice?

Sandy

Too Tall
03-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Too political for me, I'm out.

MarcusPless
03-15-2006, 03:53 PM
The donuts of champions.

The Spider
03-16-2006, 01:06 AM
get the light version, the 20g of fat in a normal 600ml will slow digestion.

buechse
03-16-2006, 09:27 PM
No milk at all for me :no: . I used to drink one liter of milk with Ovomaltine every morning. Made me fit for the day. But I figured out that it was bad
1. to my immune system
2. to my alimentary system (especially when running).
Milk's no good for adults because you loose the enzyme for the digestion of milk sugar.
That's why I keep myself away from milk (instead of the fact that I really like its taste) and stick to water and - as a good German - to :beer: .

Cheers,
Peter

kong79
03-17-2006, 06:42 AM
My son's high school got a new football coach last year and he is very big on nutrition and hydration. Brought in a nutrition expert from a big university and he said the same thing about chocolate milk. Told them to forget about all the expensive mixes and drink 8-12 oz of chocolate milk as soon as they can after getting off the practice field. As a parent, it makes you forget about all the problems with drugs and alcohol for a minute, when you see the team sitting in the parking lot after practice , BS'ing, and chugging milk. Does a body good!

toaster
03-17-2006, 07:55 AM
You pretty well captured what the Gatorade folks came up with and failed to market waaay waaay long ago. As I recall the founder created a private company and marketed a milk based energy drink line...can't remember the name.

Anywho, during our first PAC tour we didn't have good sports products and basically rode from Dairy Queen to Dairy Queen...not kidding, they were marked on the queue sheets! Works great for endurance.

Wasn't that company and drink named YOO-HOO?

shaq-d
03-17-2006, 09:03 AM
No milk at all for me :no: . I used to drink one liter of milk with Ovomaltine every morning. Made me fit for the day. But I figured out that it was bad
1. to my immune system
2. to my alimentary system (especially when running).
Milk's no good for adults because you loose the enzyme for the digestion of milk sugar.
That's why I keep myself away from milk (instead of the fact that I really like its taste) and stick to water and - as a good German - to :beer: .

don't u think it might have been bad because u overdid it? one liter of milk is insane. one glass, though, is moderation.

sd

Keith A
03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
http://www.worldofbritney.com/main/hq/page2/gotmilkchocolate.jpg

slowgoing
03-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Just one more use for Hershey's syrup. Good stuff. Nestle's doesn't compare. The worst drink of any flavor - Tang.