PDA

View Full Version : new Dinotte Quad RED Taillight ?

Don49
10-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Anybody have one of these yet and care to comment on it? I'm thinking of ordering.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/new-quad-red-taillight-with-built-in-battery-p111.aspx

SlowPokePete
10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Have heard good things, but managed to get a L&M Vis 180 for $70 so went that route...

SPP

onekgguy
10-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Anybody have one of these yet and care to comment on it? I'm thinking of ordering.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/new-quad-red-taillight-with-built-in-battery-p111.aspx

I've got the Dinotte 400L (https://vimeo.com/91373213) and couldn't be happier with it. I don't think you can go wrong with this one. They're well worth the money. I've compared mine side by side with a lesser light and the difference was striking. A few months ago I had to go without mine because I forgot to charge it. I felt vulnerable without it.

Kevin g

christian
10-13-2014, 01:53 PM
I have a 300R. I can't imagine why you'd need a light 30% brighter, but I'm all for it. Dinottes are fantastic.

Nooch
10-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Is there a price on this? or is it just chrome not displaying correctly...

Don49
10-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Chrome okay. "RETAIL: $189.00"

professerr
10-14-2014, 01:18 AM
I don't get why these are 6X more expensive than a (very bright) 2W Cygolite at REI. $189 is lot for a rear blinky. I'll pay plenty for safety stuff -- what does the $189 get you here?

Aaron O
10-14-2014, 06:21 AM
It's fine, but I actually prefer the PB turbo because I hate having to remember to charge it.

R3awak3n
10-14-2014, 07:19 AM
I have a pb turbo as well and it's plenty bright.

I don't buy rail lights for for than $40 because I keep loosing them.

JasonF
10-14-2014, 08:11 AM
I have a "thing" for blinky lights - probably due to the fact that I spent two weeks in intensive care after being hit by an inattentive driver back in 2002. So I have pretty much every blinky light on the market from a small Lezyne to the Dinotte 300R and various Cylolights, PDW, etc...in between. I'll probably end up buying the Dinotte Quad eventually too.

Anyway, the non-Dinotte lights are "pretty good" but where the Dinotte really shines is in the absolute distance you're visible to a driver. I've had drivers comment that they could see my light a mile away (on a straight road) whereas the smaller/less expensive lights just don't put out the intensity at that distance. I'm so nerdy about this stuff that I ask my wife to look out the window as I ride down the street and she attests to the fact that the Dinotte borders on being obnoxious. I like that.

It's true that the Dinotte is exponentially more expensive than the other lights on the market and let's face it, if you're going to be clipped by a texting/drunk/eating/dozing driver it won't matter if your light is putting out xx lumens or xxxxx - you're still probably going down. But for the non-fat tail events I'll stick with the Dinotte.

guido
10-14-2014, 08:18 AM
You can get 7 Planet Bike Blinky super flash lights for $189... Re-chargeable AAA batteries have a whole lot longer burn time too... Would this be as bright or as visible?

54ny77
10-14-2014, 10:03 AM
will let you know, i just ordered one.

pricey, but if this is the brightest thing out there then it's worth it. i was driving the other day and saw a rider at the very last second--thankfully he was on other side of road going opposite direction. couldn't see him whatsoever, too much shade/sunlight poking through casting shadows (i live in a heavily wooded area) and he was wearing black kit. i'm certain he would've been barely, if at all, visible to folks coming up from the rear.

thanks for the link/reminder. :cool:

Birddog
10-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Just my opinion, but DiNottes are worth the money. They are well designed, well made and their customer service is top notch. The Quad is on my Christmas list.

saab2000
10-14-2014, 10:18 AM
I don't get why these are 6X more expensive than a (very bright) 2W Cygolite at REI. $189 is lot for a rear blinky. I'll pay plenty for safety stuff -- what does the $189 get you here?

They're simply in a different league than all the other cheap blinkies out there, most of which aren't visible in the daylight. The Dinotte is visible in bright daylight.

I think they're also US-made and support US jobs.

Finally, the level of quality is vastly superior. I have a Dinotte and it is so much better built than the cheaper lights it's hard to describe.

Get what you like but 90% of the lights I see on bikes on the rides I go on are totally insufficient and give a false sense of security. They are, simply put, not visible by cars even in dim light.

The only real disadvantage to the Dinotte is that it's too bright to be used in group rides and even at night I probably wouldn't have it on it's brightest setting.

saab2000
10-14-2014, 10:19 AM
You can get 7 Planet Bike Blinky super flash lights for $189... Re-chargeable AAA batteries have a whole lot longer burn time too... Would this be as bright or as visible?

No, it would not be as bright. Dinotte is in a class of one.

I also use a Light and Motion Vis 180, but the Dinotte is brighter.

velomonkey
10-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Let me just pile on here: there are 2 types of people. The people that say "I can get 7 planet bike rear red lights for the same price." And then the people who actually have a Dinotte and will never, ever, ever use any other tail light. So, yea, it's worth 7 of them and then some!!!!

I have the light this one replaced - fantastic quality, USB charger is great and as others have said: a driver will change their habits when they see this light.

Seems Dinotte improved on perfection (though I will say mine is a tad heavy, but I'm not complaining).

JasonF
10-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Let me just pile on here: there are 2 types of people. The people that say "I can get 7 planet bike rear red lights for the same price." And then the people who actually have a Dinotte and will never, ever, ever use any other tail light. So, yea, it's worth 7 of them and then some!!!!

100% true. I have 7+ types of all the other lights and they're sitting in a box somewhere. I take care of my Dinotte like any other expensive piece of bike gear and if it gets lost, stolen, breaks, etc...I'll go right out and gladly buy another.

guido
10-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Which ever approach one takes, be safe out there folks, it is getting really dark...

velomonkey
10-14-2014, 11:32 AM
So here is a review I did a few years ago, sorry about being too verbose. It's the Dinotte, the planet bike and a cateye - it's really no comparison. Damn, my old colnago EPQ makes an appearance - never should have gotten rid of that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhEV3cPzKE

professerr
10-14-2014, 11:41 AM
The Dinotte web site says the Quad is 200 lumens bright. Can't really compare that to the Cygolite I currently have which only gives its specs in watts used. Google search turns up a post by some guy saying it is 60 lumens, perhaps 100. Who knows. It is very bright and you can definitely see it during the day. Definitely brighter than my former Super Turbo blinky.

The only comparisonn I can come up with is vis-a-vis the Quad is my Cygolite 280 front light, which claims to be 280 lumens. This is really quite bright, and definitely too bright for a rear light. Bike riders coming the other way during the day have actually complained a couple times, and cars sometimes will pull over at dusk to let me descend past them because it is so annoying to them (just happened again yesterday). Makes me wonder if the Dinoette Quad's 200 lumens are too bright for a rear light? Can you turn it down while on flash mode? Or do its four LEDs somehow give off more light but at a lower intensity than the Cygolite 280 single LED?

I also just noticed Dinotte has an amber version of the Quad which is supposed to be used as a front blinky. I like this a lot since I don't really ride at night so a front headlight is not ideal.

R3awak3n
10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Anyone use one in the city? I feel like it would blind cyclists behind you.

JasonF
10-14-2014, 11:56 AM
So here is a review I did a few years ago, sorry about being too verbose. It's the Dinotte, the planet bike and a cateye - it's really no comparison. Damn, my old colnago EPQ makes an appearance - never should have gotten rid of that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhEV3cPzKE

lol, your video was one of the reasons I splurged on the 300R! Dinotte should give you a Quad as commission.

bluesea
10-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Planet Bikes and other lights in the same class, are good for not getting rear ended by other bicycles.

Don49
10-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys for all the great replies. I didn't intend to reopen the best blinky discussion again as that was pretty well beaten to death here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=154002&highlight=dinotte
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=146854&highlight=dinotte
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=146402&highlight=dinotte

I did a 100 mile weekend ride on Angeles Crest Hwy and we had a variety of taillights in our group of five. I was using a PB Superflash Turbo, most others were Cygolite Hotshot, with my buddy running two Hotshots one above the other. Otherall, nothing we had was good enough for the bright sunny conditions when viewed at a distance. The 2x Hotshots was marginally acceptable.

So that's way I came home and decided to try a Dinotte. What I may get is the Dinotte 400R AA powered light ($129) and use my own Eneloop rechargeable AA's (2 or 4 cell). Not a big fan of USB recharging

Aaron O
10-14-2014, 12:52 PM

I have the light this one replaced - fantastic quality, USB charger is great and as others have said: a driver will change their habits when they see this light.

Seems Dinotte improved on perfection (though I will say mine is a tad heavy, but I'm not complaining).

Incorrect. I have the dinotte and prefer using the turbos because I think they make more sense. As far as how bright it is, there is a point where bright enough is bright enough...and for my needs, the PB turbo is plenty bright enough.

xjoex
10-14-2014, 01:55 PM
I have a Niterider 2W USB Solas. It is a nice light, rechargeable via USB.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ct1zpAj1d-4/UF5iMeMFohI/AAAAAAAAG4o/59KL7HzkuXg/s400/IMG_9664.jpg
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2012/09/review-niterider-solas-rechargeable.html

But its not the dinotte. I don't ride in the city or on roads much anymore so I have no tried a 400 lumen rear light out yet.

-Joe

christian
10-14-2014, 02:10 PM
I have a SOLAS. I have a L&M 180 Vis. I have a Dinotte 300R, which this light replaces.

When it comes to bright light and a lot of light, they're basically a UPS truck, a Fedex truck, and the Maersk McKinney Moller. Not quite the same.

http://gcaptain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MMM7-635x358.jpg

velomonkey
10-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Incorrect. I have the dinotte and prefer using the turbos because I think they make more sense. As far as how bright it is, there is a point where bright enough is bright enough...and for my needs, the PB turbo is plenty bright enough.

The same discussion is had about weight with regard to a bike. Here is all I know - the whole "too bright" thing is way, way overplayed.

I mean, whatever, exception to the rule I guess - there is literally no scenario where I would prefer my turbo to my denotte.

Aaron O
10-14-2014, 04:29 PM
The same discussion is had about weight with regard to a bike. Here is all I know - the whole "too bright" thing is way, way overplayed.

I mean, whatever, exception to the rule I guess - there is literally no scenario where I would prefer my turbo to my denotte.

You are perfectly entitled to feel that way and you are perfectly entitled to prefer whatever light you like. Where you are incorrect is in implying that people who prefer other options do so only on price.

There's a third kind of person - the type that thinks the dinotte is obnoxiously bright for urban conditions (I think they make more sense on higher speed, less used roads), unnecessary, and inferior due to charging. Key words - for where/when I ride.

tumbler
10-14-2014, 05:01 PM
At some point, is it reasonable to worry that a taillight could be too bright? When it's dark and I stand behind my Planet Bike Superflash, it's pretty disorienting. It seems like a significantly brighter light could impair a driver's vision as they try to pass, similar to driving with your high beams on. Just something I've wondered about...

gasman
10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Let's not jab others for their choices in lights. Whatever you like and works for you is great, just use something when it gets dark. Don't be like a lot of the college students in this town who ride with no lights .:no:

velomonkey
10-14-2014, 07:43 PM
You are perfectly entitled to feel that way and you are perfectly entitled to prefer whatever light you like. Where you are incorrect is in implying that people who prefer other options do so only on price.

There's a third kind of person - the type that thinks the dinotte is obnoxiously bright for urban conditions (I think they make more sense on higher speed, less used roads), unnecessary, and inferior due to charging. Key words - for where/when I ride.

Wait . . . I'm sorry, a bit to clear up here. I know you're reading - so I'll respond.

1. I never, even remotely implied that people preferred other lights based on price. You said that, not me. Period. Yes, Dinotte is more expensive - they are also direct and don't go through the local bike shop. My point was people don't know - not people can't afford. Please, keep it on task.

2. "dinotte is obnoxiously bright for urban conditions" - um, that is a significant variable. You never said that until now. Now, to show I'm fair - would I ride a Dinotte on the Capital Crescent trail in Washington, DC and MD - a rails to trails that has no cars and only other bikers and pedestrians (DC does classify as urban, right). No, no I wouldn't. It would be obnoxious. Guess what, though, there is ZERO ambient light and bikers, for example, are always looking around their physical surroundings - pot holes, rocks, other riders - these are just some of the things we keep an eye out for. Drivers. They have to deal with tons of ambient light - other cars, stop lights, street lights - and they don't give 2 squats about pot holes or rocks - so add a blinky in there and, well, it better be substantial. Again, a variable you never pointed out.

3. "due to charging" - well, again, your preference - I myself like my batteries to be chargeable, but I digress.

So, in the end, I did a totally scientific experiment. Tonight I had drinks at a bar - rode the half mile from my house, mostly downhill, through town (totally lit up with lights) to the bar. I dusted off the old planet bike superflash (not the turbo, but it works). I went to the bar and met my friends before dark. Drank 3 beers and got buzzed. Sun was down. Rode my bike home with super flash. Went through town, albeit not urban, but a road, not a trail. Rode up the hill to my house, no lights on the road, totally dark - totally slow (and I was buzzed). Dinotte wins - for sure - well unless you don't like to charge batteries - there is literally no competition - it's science, but I digress.

I'm buzzed, that's my take and I shall see you on the road with a bright strobe!!!!!

bluesea
10-14-2014, 07:58 PM
My experience with both the Dinotte 300R and 400R, is they are the only rear lights that have illicit praise from cagers at traffic stops. Have also driven behind Dinotte rear lights at various distance and light conditions, and have never felt they were too bright. On the contrary, I'll be ordering the more powerful Designshine rearlight when it becomes available. Your own riding and traffic conditions may vary.

shovelhd
10-14-2014, 08:16 PM
I've had several compliments on my Magicshine taillight. I don't know who made it, but it is fairly large and bright. It was an option from Geomangear when I bought my headlight. Well worth it.

Lanternrouge
10-14-2014, 09:34 PM
From the limited time I spend driving, I can say the differences between the various tail lights are quite noticeable. There are the lousy lights that I notice mainly because I am paying a whole lot more attention than the average driver. There are the decent lights that I see because I'm not completely distracted. When I run across someone who has a really good one, which is not that often since most people don't have them and I don't drive much any way, I really notice.

For what it's worth, I use a knog blinder as my current tail light, which I think is somewhere between the pretty good and really good (though not in the really good) categories.

If I rode much during the dark, which I do not any more, I would go all the way and get a Dinotte and then on the Design Shine waiting list. My own opinion is that you cannot be too visible.

Ahneida Ride
10-14-2014, 10:17 PM
The Dinotte resembles more of a Police light then a Bicycle light.
It's that good.

Cars can spot you 1 mile back.

Excellent quality and superior customer service.

oldpotatoe
10-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Let's not jab others for their choices in lights. Whatever you like and works for you is great, just use something when it gets dark. Don't be like a lot of the college students in this town who ride with no lights .:no:

Yup-when riding home one night, on a frontage road, me with lights, I just 'feel' the guy that passed going to other direction, didn't even see him. I'm kinda on the fence about lights during the day. I don't ride anywhere during the week w/o a shoulder. Too much traffic. I wear bright-ish jerseys/vests/jackets. No lights(and I have been nailed from behind while riding by a lady in a Dodge Dakota..she was asleep-10am on a Saturday).

My determining factor was ease of putting on/off and USB. And what I sold in the shop(duh)..Cateye, Blackburn, L&M..kinda like a helmet, 'may' help, never hurt.

znfdl
10-15-2014, 07:26 AM
I just ordered one. As SAAB said the Dinotte Tailights are in a class all by themselves. I commute a lot in the dark, where I use the Dinotte when on the road and then a switch to a Solas for the bike path.

pakora
10-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Not to threadjack, but can one convert an old 200L to a taillight by just putting a piece of red plastic over the lens? Is there some kind of special plastic or glass I'd use?

I bought a head/taillight package years ago and felt totally confident riding in full on night with it. Not like a blinky at all - you can see a long tail of bright red light trailing 25 feet behind you.

Unfortunately it bounced off unnoticed one day when I headed out in daylight on a ride that would continue beyond sundown. I never went back to night riding, even with a way brighter front light (besides timing it so that I would hit well-lit city streets by the time twilight passed).

Birddog
10-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Not to threadjack, but can one convert an old 200L to a taillight by just putting a piece of red plastic over the lens? Is there some kind of special plastic or glass I'd use?

I bought a head/taillight package years ago and felt totally confident riding in full on night with it. Not like a blinky at all - you can see a long tail of bright red light trailing 25 feet behind you.

Unfortunately it bounced off unnoticed one day when I headed out in daylight on a ride that would continue beyond sundown. I never went back to night riding, even with a way brighter front light (besides timing it so that I would hit well-lit city streets by the time twilight passed).

Call Rob at DiNotte. He might give you a trade-in deal for a tail light. To answer your question, I don't think it will work and it would be totally ghetto.

Pyramor
10-15-2014, 11:43 AM
My experience with both the Dinotte 300R and 400R, is they are the only rear lights that have illicit praise from cagers at traffic stops. Have also driven behind Dinotte rear lights at various distance and light conditions, and have never felt they were too bright. On the contrary, I'll be ordering the more powerful Designshine rearlight when it becomes available. Your own riding and traffic conditions may vary.

+1 for the Designshine lights. I have both front and rear. Wouldn't ride without them, especially in daytime. Liked them so much that I bought a second pair for my better half. The rear is 800 lumens and can be seen more than a mile in daylight. Just as important as uber bright daytime mode is the flash and steady-state modes which can set be to necessary brightness for night riding and daytime group rides. I only use low power flash for my group rides.

My research suggests that flashing modes should not be used at night, especially for high power lights. It can be annoying and distracting to drivers and one's distance perception is impaired by flashing. RUSA, which sanctions brevets and other long distance randonneuring, prohibits flashing rear lights. They apparently know something about the issue. Steady read is best or perhaps steady red with a slow low-power flash.

I also really like the off-the-shelf Cateye mounts. Very inexpensive and highly adaptable. All in all a great design.

Don49
10-15-2014, 12:16 PM
+1 for the Designshine lights. I have both front and rear. How much to the Designshine lights cost? I can't find that info on the website.

Pyramor
10-15-2014, 12:38 PM
How much to the Designshine lights cost? I can't find that info on the website.

I don't know what the new price will be yet. I expect Stephen will post them when he starts build number 4. Hopefully soon. I would suggest that you email him to get an idea when they will be available.

gdw
10-15-2014, 01:22 PM
"Not to threadjack, but can one convert an old 200L to a taillight by just putting a piece of red plastic over the lens? Is there some kind of special plastic or glass I'd use?"

Yes, a red lens will tint the beam but I'm not aware of any commercial lens or optic that can be easily added to the 200l so you'll have to make it yourself. If you can solder it might be easier to replace the old Seoul led with a red Cree XP-E2.

mvrider
10-15-2014, 01:46 PM
A red filter would of course work, but would be less efficient. Such a filter would absorb all the other colors (wavelengths), converting them to heat. If you have plenty of light output and battery capacity to spare, then all is fine. Just keep in mind that a dedicated red LED would be more efficient.

drewski
10-15-2014, 02:09 PM
I have a SOLAS. I have a L&M 180 Vis. I have a Dinotte 300R, which this light replaces.

When it comes to bright light and a lot of light, they're basically a UPS truck, a Fedex truck, and the Maersk McKinney Moller. Not quite the same.

http://gcaptain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MMM7-635x358.jpg

This had me in stiches. Good one. Love this forum. I am a dinotte devotee as well. I recently busted the wires on a light which I have for 2 years.
Their service folks are currently repairing for a mer $15.00 smackers.

pakora
10-15-2014, 02:21 PM
yeah the tiny bit I know about optics suggested to me that the red filter would significantly dim the light

Thanks though!

guido
10-17-2014, 07:37 AM
http://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/when-more-visible-%E2%89%A0-safer-target-fixation/

velomonkey
10-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Just got mine in the mail. Not a huge upgrade - more of a evolution. It is considerably thinner though. As typical of Dinotte the built quality is top notch.

I plan on doing a more exhaustive review where I show this light and others and actually have them on a bike, but film from my car driving towards the bike.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3927/15555930151_d3c8bff3c4_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pGCd5g)image1 (https://flic.kr/p/pGCd5g) by velomonkeys (https://www.flickr.com/people/88287752@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5610/14937768544_89474ae3d6_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oKZYaw)image1 (https://flic.kr/p/oKZYaw) by velomonkeys (https://www.flickr.com/people/88287752@N06/), on Flickr

Nooch
10-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Oh Dang.

JasonF
10-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Just got it on the mail. Not a huge upgrade - more of a evolution. It is considerably thinner though. As typically the built quality is top notch.

I plan on doing a more exhaustive review where I show this light and others and actually have them on a bike, but film from my car driving towards the bike.

Cool, keep us posted - I'm really interested to read your impressions of this versus the 300R

justinrchan
10-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Call Rob at DiNotte. He might give you a trade-in deal for a tail light. To answer your question, I don't think it will work and it would be totally ghetto.

Love to know if Dinotte will do this. I would trade in my 100.....

professerr
10-18-2014, 01:59 AM
http://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/when-more-visible-%E2%89%A0-safer-target-fixation/

I've heard this target fixation argument against hi-viz clothing and lights before, but not seen convincing evidence. Jan Heine's article declares with assurance that the "moth effect" is so significant that "In fact, when riding on a shoulder at night, it may be safest to be invisible." But the blog of the expert witness Jan cites added a clarification shortly after the date of Jan appears to have linked to it, which clarification says pretty much the opposite: "This article should not be interpreted to mean that having flashing or any other lights is bad. If I'm a bicyclist, for example, I want as many lights as possible, preferably flashing. Lack of visibility and conspicuity constitutes a far greater danger than the moth-effect."

For now, I'm sticking with neon and blinkies. Might even get the new Dinotte

jr59
10-18-2014, 05:44 AM

This is a funny read, b/c in his further reading link disputes what Jan is saying! :eek:

velomonkey
10-18-2014, 06:42 AM
"I saw the biker so much so I became fixated on him and ended up hitting him."

Said no car driver ever who has hit a bike rider. It's always the whole "I didn't see him." I've been hit - and I want my lawyer to stand in a court, hold up my light and show it to the jury and say "you didn't see this?"

znfdl
10-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Red lights effect you differently than white lights. A steady red light will not be disorienting. I use my Dinnotte on the road, when I get to the MUT I switch to Niterider Solas.

saab2000
10-18-2014, 09:50 AM
When I lived in Grand Rapids, MI I did a ton of night riding and often used two lights, a Cateye mounted to the seat post and my L&M Vis 180 strapped to the fat seatstay of my Redline. Even with the Cateye at night I felt safe and with both I was very well lit up.

But this was for dusk and dark riding.

The place the Dinotte comes into its own is during the daytime. It's visible even on a sunny day. That's the difference.

I also remember doing some group rides at night in MI and dropping back a block or two. The good lights like the L&M on a friend's bike stood out like a bright beacon. The others looked like red dots weaving around in the road. Also, riding in fog will totally wash out a mediocre light.

I don't understand why people who spend thousands on a bike balk at spending an extra $50 or a bit more on a really good light. We really do get what we pay for and looking at a display rack at the LBS doesn't really give a good idea about what it will really look like on the road in real conditions.

znfdl
10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I just received my Dinotte in the mail. I can now say that the only rear light brighter than a Dinotte would be two Dinotte lights.

bluesea
10-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Waiting for reviews.:)

SlackMan
10-18-2014, 09:37 PM
This is slightly OT, but I thought some might appreciate knowing it: Since this Dinotte thread started, I've been researching all of their different options for tail lights. I was initially drawn to the 400R-AA because of the easily replaceable batteries (and lower cost). But, some web searching turned up someone who had received an email from Dinotte explaining that the voltage differences between AA and lithium ion batteries wind up making the 400R-AA version about half as bright as the lithium ion version. Although that means the AA version is still 100 lumens, that's much less impressive and puts it closer to (but still significantly brighter than) some less expensive options mentioned above.

Don49
10-18-2014, 10:34 PM
^^ That's good to know, as I was seriously considering the 400R-AA over the quad because of the lower price and ability to use my Eneloop AA batteries. But the Eneloops are Ni-MH, not lithium-ion, so the reduced brightness seems to make sense.

velomonkey
10-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Quick Review on it - the charger is the wicked small micro USB - not the more popular USB to mini usb (like garmin - Dinotte does ship it with the proper cable).

It's bright. Is it brighter? I guess so, but the 300R was plenty good.

It's lighter - 10kg as compared to 16kg (if you're into that)

As pictured, it's thinner and a bit smaller.

I rode it this weekend in a group ride. I had cars behind me and I was more at the front of the group than not. No riders complained of the light (they were plenty happy to get my 6'3" draft) and no cars nor riders crashed into the back of me due to 'target fixation.' :bike:

znfdl
10-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I used my new Quad on my commute this morning. When cars passed me, they gave me a six foot+ margin (this is the same when I was using a Dinotte tailight with an external battery). When using the Niterider Solas, cars did not give me as much of a margin.

leftyfreak
10-20-2014, 11:33 AM
It's lighter - 10kg as compared to 16kg (if you're into that)

No wonder they cost $189--that's a lot of material!;)

bluesea
10-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Imo the best feature of the Dinotte 300/400R, is the light mode that flashes with a constant on background light. The light never goes dark Does the Quad have this feature?

jblande
10-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Imo the best feature of the Dinotte 300/400R, is the light mode that flashes with a constant on background light. The light never goes dark Does the Quad have this feature?

yes

54ny77
10-25-2014, 11:42 PM
this thing is eye searing bright. if you want a bright red light, this is the light. nothing i've seen or owned compares to it.

i measured to around 150' away in full flashing mode in complete darkness and it looks like you're staring at a light bar on an emergency services vehicle. i have no doubt it'd be very visible several hundred+ feet away.

it was impossible to photograph (for me, anyway, with my point & shoot camera), but when on full bright constant mode the beam spread is unbelievable. at 30'-40' away from light it's at least that wide, with no loss in intensity from at least a 10-15 degree angle to the left or right from dead center.

pointing skyward, it totally lit up the canopy of trees in my backyard with bright red light, which are a good 60' tall.

so, that's my 2 cents. or in this case, approx. nineteen thousand cents.

wooly
11-22-2014, 12:02 PM
I've got a Hi-Vis 180 but think I'm going to pick up another light. Debating between the new Dinotte Quad or the 400R. Any suggestions on which direction I should go? The built in battery of the quad is appealing. Is the performance of the quad the same as the 400?

Don49
11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Specs show 200 Lumens for Quad vs 240 Lumens for 400R ("The 400R Series lights uses two RED LEDs It is our brightest day and night taillight."). Run times and modes appear different too, so best to compare for yourself. http://store.dinottelighting.com/headlights-and-taillights-c6.aspx

Spinner
11-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Rode today using my recently purchased Quad. Multiple cars that passed me moved completely out of the lane into the the oncoming lane or into the passing lane of a four-lane boulevard. I used the intermediate flashing mode in lightly-overcast weather.

The Dinotte is a great safety investment.

Cheers.

bluesea
11-30-2014, 01:52 PM
I've got a Hi-Vis 180 but think I'm going to pick up another light. Debating between the new Dinotte Quad or the 400R. Any suggestions on which direction I should go? The built in battery of the quad is appealing. Is the performance of the quad the same as the 400?

I've had good experiences with their try out/return policy. Have also switched over from a 400R to 300R to get away from external batteries.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/returnpolicy.aspx

jmeloy
12-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Ordered mine today😊

gasman
12-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Just ordered mine.

I'm excited:banana:

fiataccompli
12-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Dang, my Christmas list may have just expanded. I have one of the external battery type Dinottes that I use primarily for commuting. It's really too much (perhaps there's an acceptable lower setting I miss) in a group ride. Normally I'm content enough w/ a PB super flash or turbo (I seem to have a handful) on a training bike in case I get caught in an unexpected rain or back close to dark. There's NO comparison though. If I'm solo and ambient light is iffy, rain is likely or even if I'll be heading west as the sun is setting, the Dinotte would be great...and having the battery built in is sweet when my bike isn't already a bit of a lab test construction like my commuter setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
12-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Can I return my Rapha short and get a refund so I can pay for this?

sand fungus
12-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I have a Dinotte 600 front and a 400R and I am super impressed with the light output and I feel extremely safe during my commute with that light. I feel that drivers respect my space. The one concern I have with this setup is the side viewing of that light is limited. So I recently pledged for a red flare tail light on Kickstarter. What impresses me about that light is the 360 degree viewing angle should help with the people pulling out from the side. I plan to mount it below the the Dinotte 400R on the rear. see link below.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/739603000/the-safest-and-brightest-360-bicycle-lights-made-i

brockd15
12-04-2014, 10:27 AM
^^^ The lights from the kickstarter look promising. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts when you get it.

binouye
12-04-2014, 01:45 PM
I've been pretty happy with the 2W Hotshot, but think I'll get a brighter rear light too. In addition to the DiNotte, I've considered the Lupine lights Rotlicht (http://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/rotlicht.asp). There was a limited shipment to the US that already sold out -- did anyone here get one of those back in October? At 160 lumens it isn't as bright as the Dinotte, but pretty good. The Lupine's accelerometer and automatic brightening with braking appeals in a tech geek way.

bcgav
01-26-2015, 10:54 PM
I just pulled the trigger on the Lupine Rotlicht to use as a self contained daytime tail light. Between the 5 brightness settings up to 160 lumens and 4 modes, I think I'll be able to strike a good balance for daytime visibility and battery life on rides up to 3-4 hours.

bluesea
01-29-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm considering the $50 trade-in value of a Dinotte 300R to a Quad ($130 after trade-in).

SpeedyChix
01-29-2015, 11:57 AM
I've been really impressed with the quad. Self-contained, rechargeable, large number of intensity and flashing options. Definitely getting more space from passing motorists.

brockd15
01-29-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm considering the $50 trade-in value of a Dinotte 300R to a Quad ($130 after trade-in).

I'll give you more than $50 for the 300R if you want to go with a Quad.
I have a Quad and would like a Dinotte for my wife's bike, too.