PDA

View Full Version : what would proper protocol be here as the seller?

bianchi10
10-13-2014, 10:31 AM
I just want to see what protocol would be. I sold a saddle to a member of this forum. He was great. Sent payment right away, I shipped item out next morning. I was very hesitate to ship to Canada and voiced my concerns about extra cost and hassle but buyer really wanted it and was willing to pay the extra amount to ship it. Item shipped out Sept 15th and still has yet to arrive (today is Oct 13th). Item was shipped out priority USPS and was tracked down to LA where they sort for international shipments.

I contacted USPS and they said it does take longer to ship to Canada and sometimes can take even longer in Canada depending on where the central hub is. BUT being that it has been nearly a month I'm a bit concerned.

The item was insured for $50 (standard with priority mail).

So my question is, as the seller am I responsible for giving a full refund? I would imagine so, but wasn't sure. If I was the buyer, of course I'd appreciate the full refund but not sure if that would be expected.

BTW - The buyer has been fantastic through this. Very patient and understanding that this was no fault of mine.

enr1co
10-13-2014, 10:57 AM
If item does not show up in (X) days as agreed upon by you and the buyer, next steps suggested would be:

Refund total payment to buyer.

File lost parcel claim with USPS for the insured amount + shipping.

FlashUNC
10-13-2014, 11:02 AM
If item does not show up in (X) days as agreed upon by you and the buyer, next steps suggested would be:

Refund total payment to buyer.

File lost parcel claim with USPS for the insured amount + shipping.

+1. If for some reason it shows up on the buyer's doorstep, and a refund has already happened, I'm sure the buyer would make it right and send funds along if they've been stand up so far.

I once had a Veloce RD shipped to me that was 2-3 priority from Boston to Atlanta. Took three weeks. Even as the USPS claim. Sometimes things just go sideways...

echelon_john
10-13-2014, 11:03 AM
Just as a data point; I've had things take freakishly long to arrive in Canada shipping from Vermont...like a month +/-.

Not sure why, but it does happen. As long as both you and the buyer are good with it, I'd give it one more week and see if it appears.

ntb1001
10-13-2014, 11:04 AM
When ever I buy from the US...I expect the delievery to take at least 2 to 3 week's with regular mail..customs slows things down.

RonW87
10-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I'd give a couple more weeks.

wc1934
10-13-2014, 11:16 AM
What is the buyer suggesting? If he is willing to wait, then go with that. If he wants a refund, then I would issues one promptly, put in my claim with USPS and collect the good Karma that will come with it.

malcolm
10-13-2014, 11:17 AM
I had a usps shipment to France take over a month. The buyer was getting anxious and I was about to just refund and move on when it arrived.

I would ask the guy to give it a couple more weeks. At that point if it's still a no show refund the money and try and work it out with usps.

phcollard
10-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Just as a data point; I've had things take freakishly long to arrive in Canada shipping from Vermont...like a month +/-.

Not sure why, but it does happen. As long as both you and the buyer are good with it, I'd give it one more week and see if it appears.

That happens indeed and as a buyer located in Canada I'm fully aware that I have to wait a bit. I've had a Road Holland jersey taking 6 weeks lately... After a trip to Italy and back. No mean to scare you just saying that weird things do happen.

BTW thanks to all kind sellers in the US who still agree to ship up north. That is much appreciated :banana: