PDA

View Full Version : Edge 1.38 Question...

buldogge
10-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Hey Guys…I just picked up some Edge 1.38 tubulars (with some help from Thwart…TA) and am wondering which brake pads people have had good luck using with them…???

I have on hand:

-Campy Reds
-Reynolds Blues
-Reynolds Greys
-SwissStop Yellows
-Jagwires
-KoolStop Greys

The Campy Reds have been wonderful on my Corima/Gigantex mixed set…just wondering if any of the above would be "best" on he Edge rims.

Also…I ride them often, so would prefer something that lasts a bit…another plus for the Campys.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

thirdgenbird
10-12-2014, 09:22 PM
I've only got alloy brake tracks but...

I think edge/enve (like most manufactures) say to only use their pads. For what its worth, multiple sram and shimano sponsored teams were seen using Campagnolo red brake pads this year.

kramnnim
10-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Enve's pads?

buldogge
10-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Please see list above.

I'm not buying any more pads…wanna use something I have on hand.

These are decently used rims FWIW.

-Mark

Enve's pads?

oldpotatoe
10-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Hey Guys…I just picked up some Edge 1.38 tubulars (with some help from Thwart…TA) and am wondering which brake pads people have had good luck using with them…???

I have on hand:

-Campy Reds
-Reynolds Blues
-Reynolds Greys
-SwissStop Yellows
-Jagwires
-KoolStop Greys

The Campy Reds have been wonderful on my Corima/Gigantex mixed set…just wondering if any of the above would be "best" on he Edge rims.

Also…I ride them often, so would prefer something that lasts a bit…another plus for the Campys.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Campagnolo followed by SS yellows would be my rec.

Nice wheels..tubular to boot..Forza.

thegunner
10-13-2014, 06:48 AM
reynolds blues are the softest pads on that list, i hate the ss yellows.

jimcav
10-13-2014, 07:45 AM
no issues, zipp carbon too, also no problems, but both are in SoCal with nice conditions

happycampyer
10-13-2014, 07:56 AM
I'm trying to recall whether Enve supplied/sold brake pads back when they were producing the 1.38's. Whether they did or not, I'm pretty sure they said that the SwissStop pads were ok. As you point out, the wheels are old and out of warranty, and who knows what pads the previous owner(s) used, but I would still be cautious about using different pads—if the compound of the pad is incompatible, you can cause excessive wear/delamination of the rims. I would inspect them regularly for wear.

Fwiw, I had several sets of 1.38's that were warranteed and eventually replaced by Enve with 1.45's since Enve had stopped producing the 1.38 rim. If yours have made it this far, that's a good sign. Keep an eye out for bulges around the spoke holes.

buldogge
10-13-2014, 08:25 AM
According to the PO, yellow swissstops and zipp corks were used on the wheels.

The wheelset was used by the Planet BiKe cyclocross team…not sure if that equals more wear or less, from a mileage perspective.

Doesn't appear to be any bulging, as of now.

Stickers are white on one end and red/white on the other…I think I will be removing them this AM.

It seems like the Reynolds blues are mentioned with use on just about every rim manufacturer out there…they seem to be universally liked. I assume they won't last long.

What was the deal with Reynolds grey pads? I picked up a few sets on the cheap, not realizing they were the grey ones…obviously Reynolds switched to the blue compound "for a reason"…???

TA
-Mark

BSUdude
10-13-2014, 09:06 AM
I've used reynolds blues on these rims and no problems to report.

buldogge
10-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Any input specifically on the Campag Red pads with the Enve 1.38 rims?

Any past experience with the pre-cryo Reynolds Grey pads?

TIA
-Mark

On a side note…the switch to these wheels dropped the overall weight on my Look 585 (XL) to 14.97#…just broke the 15# barrier!…Should have weighed it before I put the 3-4oz. of sealant in the tubs!! :p

thirdgenbird
10-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Any input specifically on the Campag Red pads with the Enve 1.38 rims?

Happy to try it for you. I can PM the shipping address.