PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton and the UCI.

Argos
03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I've brought my horse if you guys wanna beat it. It's already dead though....

So, I found this on another forum and thought it was interesting. Something we could kick around a bit. it is actually two threads I snipped. I'll separate them with asterisks....

Apparently the UCI is out to screw anyone who comes within 10-miles of Tyler Hamilton.
It seems that the UCI caught wind that Tyler participated in a training ride in Boulder, CO (Stazio Crit Series) and to prevent any professional cyclists from doing the ride the are threatening to fine or suspend any pro rider who participates in a non-sactioned event. This seems ridiculous and a huge waste of everyone's time and energy....Officially the UCI are not lying but come on, we have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for doing a non-sactioned event.
Here is a copy of the official rule and one professional teams reaction:

The rules in question:
Rule 1.2.019 page 20
"No License holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental, or world calendar or that has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.
A national federation may grant special exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country."

Rule 1.2.021
'Breaches of articles 1.2.019 or 1.2.020 shall render the lenience holder liable to one month's suspension and a fine of 50 to 100 Swiss Francs'

One Pro Teams Letter To Their Riders:
Guys,
The team is not allowed to race in any of the remaining Tyler Hamilton Foundation races - so no more Stazio in March, or the three road races in April.
Apparently the UCI is not too keen on having a UCI-registered team doing these "races" so they'll suspend anyone who enters the remaining races.

From rule 1.2.019 page 20:

"A national federation may grant special exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country."

Doesn't this mean that USAC could grant a special exeption for the Stazio Crit. and other similar races? Have they been asked to?

If this rule is strictly enforced, then UCI licensed riders couldn't take part in lots of interesting non- UCI/USAC/USCF sanctioned events, like the Mt. Washington Hill Climb Race or the Red Bull Road Rage downhill race.

saab2000
03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
The issue here is whether or not the Stazio criteriums are 'formally' organised. There are all sorts of training events that don't really exist, but take place anyway. I don't think the Mt. Washington race is anything other than a "run ride" that is taken quite seriously. It is not a USCF race, is it?

BBB
03-14-2006, 05:49 PM
This sort of thing happened with Butch Reynolds in the lead up to the '92 Olympics. Reynolds tested positive for nandrolone and went through a huge fight with the IAAF and the relevant US athletic federation in order to try and clear his name. Without going into the details, at one point the IAAF threatened to invoke what was known as the 'contamination rule' whereby other athletes who raced against an athlete who was ineligible to compete under IAAF rules were liable to be suspended from competition.

The difference here is that Reynolds was still going through the process of appealling/hearings etc where as Hamilton has exhausted his avenues of appeal and is officially suspended.

Still given the way Hamilton's case unfolded, it is not suprising that the UCI has acted in this way.

Argos
03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
No, it is not. (Mt Washington USCF, that is.)

I think, whatever. It's not like TH is going out and stomping these guys. It seems more like he's having fun and getting in miles... Maybe making the break and working for the break, but not interested in winning. His Foundation sponsors the series...

Others say that he's banned and that is that, no racing. :argue:

I don't care that much. He'll just stomp at the Worlds when he DOES finally come back. :D

BumbleBeeDave
03-14-2006, 07:31 PM
. . . is extremely petty and no surprise whatsoever, considering their previous behavior in this affair--and that's REGARDLESS of his actual guilt or innocence.

Anyone care to place a bet on what other behind-the-scenes strings they may try to pull to intimidate any team that might show any interest in signing him? That kind of petty BS would not surprise me either.

BBD

Climb01742
03-15-2006, 04:22 AM
agreed, dave. this seems incredibly petty. they seem to be going out of their way to make "an example" of him. power and pettiness seem to go hand-in-hand.

William
03-15-2006, 05:15 AM
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/elaine/elaine_benes044.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
03-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand the reference ofthe photos. Something from Seinfeld?

BBD

Samster
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand the reference ofthe photos. Something from Seinfeld?

BBD

yo some of these pictures are harder to decipher than all those bloody acronyms.

as someone with more posts than me said: it's all a mystery...