PDA

View Full Version : A new kind of "recovery" ride

Ken Robb
10-11-2014, 12:50 PM
So it's been 3 months since my nasty Ducati crash and I'm trying to sneak back into bicycling but it's not easy. It's not just getting back into riding fitness but just finding a position on one of my bikes where my reconstructed shoulder doesn't hurt after a few minutes riding. This may take a while but I still have 3 more bikes to try. :banana:

gasman
10-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Ken-
I'm sure you have thought of getting a new fitting. That person may have some good ideas to help you. I feel for you, it's got to be tough to come back from an injury like that.

Ken Robb
10-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Too soon to think about a new fitting because I have lots of pt to do and my abilities improve steadily albeit slowly.

dave thompson
10-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Ken, doesn't Schwinn still make a quadracycle with tiller steering? Perfect for you.

Ken Robb
10-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Jeez, I hope so. If my MB-3 with Priest pull-back bars doesn't work the Schwinn may be my last hope. :banana:

HenryA
10-11-2014, 05:40 PM
You're going to continue getting better. Keep riding whichever bike you like and stop when it hurts. After a few weeks it will get better.

Steve in SLO
10-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Ken, glad to hear you are getting on your bike. It will get less painful with time, thankfully. Would a Look Ergostem help you with an initially more upright /back position? It may take some load off your shoulder, and you can adjust it incrementally towards a more aggressive position as you gain flexibility and pain relief.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/category/components/stem/product/review-look-ergostem-32701/

bironi
10-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Ken, glad to hear you are getting on your bike. It will get less painful with time, thankfully. Would a Look Ergostem help you with an initially more upright /back position? It may take some load off your shoulder, and you can adjust it incrementally towards a more aggressive position as you gain flexibility and pain relief.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/category/components/stem/product/review-look-ergostem-32701/

That has a ridiculous price tag.

Steve in SLO
10-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Better?

http://www.jensonusa.com/!7!ZAHAuo8fwzWx7J6!lpIg!/Kalloy-Road-Adjustable-Rise-Stem?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=Cj0KEQjwquOhBRCupYiu4an13scBEiQAss2XksER0PlN g3oXiAhCHDHHUgycs1CCeh94R0aBvv-ck9saAs7k8P8HAQ

Less adjustable but certainly more wallet–friendly.

Ken Robb
10-11-2014, 07:47 PM
all my bikes have bars at or slightly above the saddle so I never have much weight on my hands unless I'm in the drops. The catch for me now is that even standing up I can't hold my arms at more than a 90 degree angle to the ground without pain so a typical reach to handlebars doesn't work for long. My Riv Allrounder has Moustache Bars that are pretty good when I hold the ends but the brake levers are on the curved part way forward and that reach is difficult to maintain.

djg21
10-11-2014, 08:23 PM
So it's been 3 months since my nasty Ducati crash and I'm trying to sneak back into bicycling but it's not easy. It's not just getting back into riding fitness but just finding a position on one of my bikes where my reconstructed shoulder doesn't hurt after a few minutes riding. This may take a while but I still have 3 more bikes to try. :banana:

Take your time!

I encountered the same issue after my shoulder (labrum and rotator cuff) had to be reconstructed following a bicycle/car encounter. I started on my trainer where I could ride no hands or with one hand initially. Gradually, as my ROM and strength improved, I could put more weight on the bars. Don't rush it! It's a marathon; not a sprint!

Glad to hear you're recovering.

Steve in SLO
10-11-2014, 11:09 PM
I got it now, Ken. Have you thought of an upright French style bar with barend shifters?