PDA

View Full Version : OT: Renewing a Passport

wss
10-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Hello, Have to travel to Canada for business. My passport is in need of renewal. Has anyone here needing their passport within 1 week, successfully gotten one renewed though a regional post office or should I just use a pay service at a premium fee? Thanks

93legendti
10-11-2014, 08:43 AM
In the past we used the local PO, when time wasn't an issue.

This year, we renewed a family member's thru the local township offices. We had expedited service, but we had more than a week. We chose 2 week turnaround and it came sooner than that...pretty sure they offered a quicker turnaround time than 2 weeks...

My friend is head of the federal fraud prosecution division and told me you can get emergency one day renewal at our local federal building, for $200 if I recall correctly.

Have you googled "emergency passport renewal"?

joosttx
10-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Hello, Have to travel to Canada for business. My passport is in need of renewal. Has anyone here needing their passport within 1 week, successfully gotten one renewed though a regional post office or should I just use a pay service at a premium fee? Thanks

There are services on the internet that will expedite with in a week. I used one several years back. And just expensed the fee.

BSBD
10-11-2014, 08:57 AM
There are services on the internet that will expedite with in a week. I used one several years back. And just expensed the fee.

Yea, with the time crunch window the OP has, I would use one of the services if I couldn't go to a regional passport office. They'll have someone physically go to the office with your stuff.

djg21
10-11-2014, 09:10 AM

I've had to replace mine quickly when I scheduled a trip only to find that my passport had expired. Do a google search for "passport expedite." You will have to pay, but you can get your passport processed within a day or so.

wss
10-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all your replies.
I knew about the passport services on line, just didn't know there were so many.

likebikes
10-11-2014, 09:48 AM
If you go to your local passport office you can get one same day.

bobswire
10-11-2014, 09:59 AM
I could have sworn I went into Canada without a passport but that was many moons ago.

Ken Robb
10-11-2014, 10:23 AM
now we need a passport to re-enter the USA.

54ny77
10-11-2014, 10:34 AM
That's the fastest.

Otherwise, USPS office (that has a passport desk--check USPS.com and filter for offices that have 'em) can do it for a fee If I recall (having just done it a couple of months ago) it's about $100 or so all-in (expedite fee and postage). Takes about a week or so to get it.

I would suggest you have them do the photo there rather than take one prior. It has to be a very specific dimension/proportion.

If you go to your local passport office you can get one same day.

OtayBW
10-11-2014, 10:56 AM
And fer crying out loud, don't tell 'em if you're going up there for business unless you're prepared to product NAFTA papers!

nicrump
10-11-2014, 11:33 AM
delete

Louis
10-11-2014, 12:15 PM
This won't help the OP, but in my case regular mail-in service took exactly 3 weeks. About a month ago I sent in my expired passport on a Monday, and three Mondays later the replacement was in my mailbox.

sfscott
10-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Long story short, this week my wife had to leave country and didn't realize her passport expired. Went to passport office. Same day turnaround. Need to make appointment. Very well run govt service.

NHAero
10-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Just checked, mine expired in February.

Louis
10-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Just checked, mine expired in February.

No, not one bit. Just as good as a non-expired passport when it comes to renewal.

pinkshogun
10-11-2014, 04:28 PM
i needed a passport renewal when going to Canada in 2011 to ride the Route Verte

i opted for the cheaper credit card passport instead of the traditional passbook variety.

witcombusa
10-11-2014, 04:43 PM

Unless you're an illegal looking for a free ride...

sworcester
10-11-2014, 05:45 PM
you'll have to use an expedite service

wss
10-11-2014, 06:19 PM
you'll have to use an expedite service

Exactly what I am trying to do.

Had trouble with security setting on my computer so missed the UPS pickup today. Mondays a holiday but t I think UPS is working.

Will send my UPS shipping package from work on Monday. Hope to have passport on time for travel on the 19th.

Thanks again.

PSA: review your Passports and save some money. Renew before it expires.

wss
10-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Long story short, this week my wife had to leave country and didn't realize her passport expired. Went to passport office. Same day turnaround. Need to make appointment. Very well run govt service.

Just read your post. I my case I would have to travel NY or Philly. Don't have the time.
Your last sentence made me chuckle. Thanks

Louis
10-11-2014, 07:26 PM
PSA: review your Passports and save some money. Renew before it expires.

In my case (regular renewal via snail mail) the price for the new passport was the same, whether my previous passport had expired or not.