PDA

View Full Version : Wheel pingy noise

Dead Man
10-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Howdy

I've got a set of SRAM S30 AL Race wheels. The front wheel has taken a couple of pretty hard wallops recently. I took a nasty one yesterday, almost couldnt believe I didn't flat.. sunk into a deep pothole doing about 30. On the way back up, I noticed a faint chime from the front wheel... ping pang ping pang, very soft sound, but definitely there. At the top, I gave the front wheel a spin and noted it was just a hair out of true, but definitely still round. I went ahead and did a full-speed bomb down my favorite bombing run- lots of hard, fast curves... wheel seemed fine.

Today out stretching the legs on quiet, slow country roads, I noticed the sound again... ping pang pong ping pong pang ping.... very soft metallic tinging sounds..

What gives? Did I pop spokes? I haven't really messed with spokes before, plus these are hidden up inside the rim, so I can't even really look at 'em, if that would even tell me anything

Louis
10-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Have you checked the spoke tension?

Ignore this once the experts speak up, but in my experience this is bad news, and I predict that the wheel will continue to get more and more out of true.

This (prolonged pinging noise from the spokes) has happened to me with new poorly built wheels, and after a while they start to get more and more out of true.

I'd take it to a good wheel-builder and see what they say, but I bet dropping the tension on all the spokes, then taking it back up to full tension would be one option. (or doing that yourself if you're so inclined)

bewheels
10-11-2014, 05:19 AM
Unless you are comfortable building wheels, I would suggest taking it to a shop that has some wheel building expertise and have them go over it (spoke tension, roundness, trueness, etc).

The reason I emphasize having wheel building expertise is because people with this capability approach dealing with wheels differently (they understand how they are built) then your basic person with a spoke wrench and a trueing stand.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Howdy

I've got a set of SRAM S30 AL Race wheels. The front wheel has taken a couple of pretty hard wallops recently. I took a nasty one yesterday, almost couldnt believe I didn't flat.. sunk into a deep pothole doing about 30. On the way back up, I noticed a faint chime from the front wheel... ping pang ping pang, very soft sound, but definitely there. At the top, I gave the front wheel a spin and noted it was just a hair out of true, but definitely still round. I went ahead and did a full-speed bomb down my favorite bombing run- lots of hard, fast curves... wheel seemed fine.

Today out stretching the legs on quiet, slow country roads, I noticed the sound again... ping pang pong ping pong pang ping.... very soft metallic tinging sounds..

What gives? Did I pop spokes? I haven't really messed with spokes before, plus these are hidden up inside the rim, so I can't even really look at 'em, if that would even tell me anything

Sounds like maybe the wack loosened some spokes..Have a decent LBS lube where the nipple hits the rim, where the spoke touches the hub, tension check both wheels.