PDA

View Full Version : Dave Thompson birthday boy

rwsaunders
10-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Happy birthday Dave and I'm glad that we had the chance to meet and solve the world's problems over some salmon and some beer. Mexico doesn't know what they're in for in terms of your upcoming adventure! :cool:

vqdriver
10-10-2014, 04:41 PM
happy birthday big man!

jr59
10-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Happy birthday Mr Just my size...

I hope you have a great one!

Louis
10-10-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.mosta2bal.com/vb/imgcache/3/26313wall.jpg

Ken Robb
10-10-2014, 06:20 PM
I suppose there will be some tequila drunk this evening? HAPPY BD Oldtimer!

eddief
10-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Happy Birthday to my oldest, the oldest friend I have never met.

mso
10-10-2014, 07:25 PM
feliz cumpleaños
:banana::hello::bike:

David Kirk
10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
I hope you had a great day!!

dave

Elefantino
10-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Yep, hope it was a great one!

:banana::hello::banana::hello:

stephenmarklay
10-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Happy Birthday Dave. We have had some great weather since you left. I bet you have as well.

Keith A
10-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Happy birthday Dave! I hope you had a great one.

dave thompson
10-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the kind thoughts, it means a lot to me.

This year has been and will be a year of transitions and major life changes for me. Both my wife and I retired this year, which is a more major life change than I thought. After working for near 60 years it's difficult to shake the 'I gotta get up and do something' feeling and learn to do nothing unless you want to do something. There now are many times that I don't even know what day it is. As one of the characters on Downton Abbey said: "What's a weekend?"

As some of you know, my wife and I have been going to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for many, many years. Love the area of Baja California Sur, the people, food, way of life, all a pretty darn good package. When we were there this January, my wife casually asked if maybe we should find someplace down there and buy a house. So we did, a small 'palapa casita' in the village of Los Barriles, about halfway between Cabo and La Paz on the Sea of Cortez. We're packing right now and the plan is to head off this coming Saturday. It's a 2600 mile drive, we have no agenda, so our trip may take a week. Maybe two. Maybe three. This is also, obviously, a major life change. I'm not sure if we'll have internet down there. No cell phones for sure. No TV. We will be forced to live life, there's a novel concept!

At my age I hate change but I'm looking forward to change. I adapt pretty easily so it's not like I'll be swimming against a tide. Plus I tan well. The fishing is fantastic and seafood of all types abounds. It's going to be somewhat primitive compared to our normal lifestyle. The real upside is that we will be shoveling sand instead of snow in January. :)

No road biking in Los Barriles, there's maybe a mile or so of paved road. The rest is hardpack dirt and sand. We bought a couple of mountain bikes to take with us to continue our tradition of family biking. Being a thousand miles south of the border and a million miles away by mail, I'm taking a lot of spares and the necessary tools for bike maintenance. Maybe I could become the village mecánico de bici.

it will be different, challenging and a hell of a lot of fun!

Bruce K
10-11-2014, 05:02 AM
Happy Birthday and good luck on your new adventures.

BK

fuzzalow
10-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Happy birthday and happy life to you dave thompson. May all that's to come be all that you have hoped for it to be.

Tonger
10-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Congratulations to you and your wife - wishing you all the best on your birthday and this next adventure.

Tonger

gasman
10-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Dave-
Happy Birthday a little late. I'm impressed that you are willing to make a move to such a different place. I wish you and your wife great happiness in retirement.

soulspinner
10-11-2014, 01:25 PM
All the best Dave.........

pjmsj21
10-11-2014, 01:28 PM
How could I not post a congratulatory message to one of the stalwarts of this forum. Your contributions to this forum have been selective and meaningful something lacking in this information world.

I appreciate learning of your new adventure as I and my wife contemplate new options at 65/66 as well.

Have fun and best wishes!

Pat McShane

Ken Robb
10-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts, it means a lot to me.

We're packing right now and the plan is to head off this coming Saturday. It's a 2600 mile drive, we have no agenda, so our trip may take a week. Maybe two. Maybe three.
!

So will we get to see you in San Diego on your way south?

dave thompson
10-11-2014, 01:53 PM
So will we get to see you in San Diego on your way south?

I dunno. I don't like to hang with old people. :eek:

Ken Robb
10-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Hey!! I said "see you" not visit or spend time with you. I live so near I-5 I could just wave to you as you pass by.

William
10-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Happy belated birthday Dave!

We all know the real reason you two are heading down there....you are starting up your own Tequila distillery! "Baja Dave's 100% De Agave Reposado Tequilla".:D

Wishing you both the very best on your new adventure! Safe journeys......AND BITE ME!!!;)

William

SBash
10-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Happy birthday Dave you old fart!:beer:

Best of luck for you and your wife in the next phase in life.:banana: