PDA

View Full Version : OT: country music and great story!

fogrider
10-10-2014, 04:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cttt3F_kGRs

it took someone from Sweden to notice his talent...shows that we don't give the homeless a second look.

djg21
10-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Doug Seeger was interviewed on Buddy Miller's show on Sirius Outlaw County this week. https://www.facebook.com/BuddyandJim. He still plays out and busks on the street. This really is a great story!

wc1934
10-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Was on NPR this morning - he talked about living under a bridge etc. but he always had his music - and we think we have had it tough.

djg21
10-11-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm listening to Doug Seeger's cover of the Gram Parsons cover of "She" as I write thus. It's a duet with Emmylou Harris, who sang the original with gram Parsons. It's really good. It makes me sad that Parsons died so young, but it really is great that Seeger is getting such attention from music legends like Emmylou.

wc1934
10-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm listening to Doug Seeger's cover of the Gram Parsons cover of "She" as I write thus. It's a duet with Emmylou Harris, who sang the original with gram Parsons. It's really good. It makes me sad that Parsons died so young, but it really is great that Seeger is getting such attention from music legends like Emmylou.

It makes me sad that Parsons died so young - ditto that!
Harvard, Flying Burrito Bros, Byrds, etc.
In my hour of darkness is a good one too.

OtayBW
10-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Yep - some incarnation of Gram Parsons has been in regular rotation of my music since ~1972, whether it be in the Byrds, solo with Emmylou, Burritos, influence on the Stones....you name it. Fabulous, sweet cracking voice, remarkable harmony sense, unbelievable change agent and influence on a vast new genre of music while keeping one foot firmly planted in the traditional. Definitely one of my heroes who remains sorely missed after all this time....

djg21
10-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Yep - some incarnation of Gram Parsons has been in regular rotation of my music since ~1972, whether it be in the Byrds, solo with Emmylou, Burritos, influence on the Stones....you name it. Fabulous, sweet cracking voice, remarkable harmony sense, unbelievable change agent and influence on a vast new genre of music while keeping one foot firmly planted in the traditional. Definitely one of my heroes who remains sorely missed after all this time....

I just got back from a MTB ride. In the car, I was listening to a playlist of Gram and Gram covers, including Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Gram & the Burritos at the Avalon, at the Fillmore, and Return of the Grievous Angel (the really good tribute album with covers by Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, Wilco, Gillian Welch, Cowboy Junkies, etc.).

This thread inspired me to pick up Doug Seeger's release from iTunes. It really is excellent and the version of "She" alone makes it worth owning. (you can stream it here:http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/07/29/doug-seegers-and-emmylou-harris-duet-on-gram-parsons-she-exclusive-song-premiere/)

How this guy wasn't "discovered" earlier is a mystery.

OtayBW
10-12-2014, 06:36 AM
I just got back from a MTB ride. In the car, I was listening to a playlist of Gram and Gram covers, including Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Gram & the Burritos at the Avalon, at the Fillmore, and Return of the Grievous Angel (the really good tribute album with covers by Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, Wilco, Gillian Welch, Cowboy Junkies, etc.).

This thread inspired me to pick up Doug Seeger's release from iTunes. It really is excellent and the version of "She" alone makes it worth owning. (you can stream it here:http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/07/29/doug-seegers-and-emmylou-harris-duet-on-gram-parsons-she-exclusive-song-premiere/)

How this guy wasn't "discovered" earlier is a mystery.
Yes - It's a nice tribute album and just goes to show the extent of his influence.

rounder
10-12-2014, 08:59 PM
It was a good video.

During my misspent youth, I used to take my guitar everywhere I went.

I spent a lot of time in Fells Point, Baltimore. I used to run into a guy playing blues on an accordion on a street corner and we would play at blues stuff. He was pretty good. I read later that he was a state senator.

Another time I was in Fells Point on an early Sunday afternoon. I had a bottle of wine and a bunch of street people showed up. We passed the bottle of wine around and the guitar. Every one of them knew and could play a song. The best was one guy who played Young love...They say for every Boy and girl. There's just one love in this whole world and I.....

Nother time we were working on a job in New Orleans during the beginning of Mardi Gras. I was walking around the French Quarter late at night and ran into a guy playing a Martin guitar in a wheelchair. I said...hey I have a Martin. He gave me his guitar and said play something. I played House of the Rising Sun. For me, that is one of the coolest things I ever did. To play guitar in the French Quarter during Mardi Gras.

You can run into cool people everywhere.

Mr. Pink
10-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Just listening to Keith Richards "Life" in the car. Gram Parsons was a very good friend of Keith's and a major influence on the Stone's music around the Dead Flowers and Wild Horses period. Unfortunately, he also had quite the taste for heroin, as Keith did. Keith describes he and Gram going cold turkey in the same room at the same time. Gruesome. Then Gram took just a little too much one time.........

Saw Gram way back in the Rutgers student center. He was introducing young Emmy Lou Harris to the world at the time on that tour. I am really dating myself with that one.

djg21
10-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Just listening to Keith Richards "Life" in the car. Gram Parsons was a very good friend of Keith's and a major influence on the Stone's music around the Dead Flowers and Wild Horses period. Unfortunately, he also had quite the taste for heroin, as Keith did. Keith describes he and Gram going cold turkey in the same room at the same time. Gruesome. Then Gram took just a little too much one time.........

Saw Gram way back in the Rutgers student center. He was introducing young Emmy Lou Harris to the world at the time on that tour. I am really dating myself with that one.

I just saw Emmylou. She is still great live. She and Rodney Crowell were on Austin City Limits last month too. I was hoping for them to do Grievous Angel, but they never did. They did a really good Pancho & Lefty however. Townes is another who was underappreciated while alive, and had wide-ranging influence.

wc1934
10-13-2014, 09:39 AM
I just saw Emmylou. She is still great live. She and Rodney Crowell were on Austin City Limits last month too. I was hoping for them to do Grievous Angel, but they never did. They did a really good Pancho & Lefty however. Townes is another who was underappreciated while alive, and had wide-ranging influence.

Yup Van Vandt was another one - EL Harris did his "If I Needed You", and now years later Mumford and Sons re recorded it.

wallymann
10-13-2014, 12:46 PM
really interesting story about a forgotten US musician that was beloved in south africa, and brought to our attention decades later by another swedish filmmaker (tragically now deceased).

here's a taste of rodriguez's story on 60-minutes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rodriguez-the-rock-icon-who-didnt-know-it/

malcolm
10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
really interesting story about a forgotten US musician that was beloved in south africa, and brought to our attention decades later by another swedish filmmaker (tragically now deceased).

here's a taste of rodriguez's story on 60-minutes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rodriguez-the-rock-icon-who-didnt-know-it/

I saw this and thought it was pretty good. Got most of his music on iTunes and lots of it is good.

rounder
10-15-2014, 08:57 PM

I thought Keith Richards book was the best autobiography I ever read (probably haven't ready as many as most here). I thought his best song was "You got the silver".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_JPxIfuBM

onekgguy
10-15-2014, 10:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cttt3F_kGRs

it took someone from Sweden to notice his talent...shows that we don't give the homeless a second look.

Really nice. Thanks for posting this.

Kevin g

fogrider
10-16-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm sure many of you that are interested also found the full documentary which covers what happened after the recording studio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qWKZdGxmT0