PDA

View Full Version : How many MOOTS models...

Mikej
10-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Moots, which I love to look at, sure seem to have a large number models these days. Would it ever benefit them to just go consumer direct full custom? It seems that you have to order them upfront and wait anyhow.

Idris Icabod
10-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't know if it is still true but when I bought my Moots they sent the shop a loaner that I kept for a week. They seem to pick their dealer network pretty solidly, all the shops that I have ever dealt with that sell Moots are pretty top drawer.

ctbiker
10-10-2014, 01:18 PM
>seem to have a large number models these days. Would it ever benefit them to just go consumer direct full custom?

Your comment made me check Moots' webpage again - yes, they seem to have lots of models (something for everyone?) I love their diversity. Gravel grinders, adventure bikes, randonneur bikes ... what's next?

Out of my curiosity, what other top drawer bike companies are consumer direct?

thunderworks
10-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Moots, which I love to look at, sure seem to have a large number models these days. Would it ever benefit them to just go consumer direct full custom? It seems that you have to order them upfront and wait anyhow.

I think it's fabulous that Moots adamantly refuses to deal directly with the public. Their commitment to a carefully chosen dealer network is admirable in this internet era. I hope they never change. Compare their business model to dealer direct vendors where various promotions, discounts, liquidations etc., make it impossible to ever figure out used resale, or ongoing value . . . I say three cheers to Moots.

bewheels
10-10-2014, 05:59 PM
>

Out of my curiosity, what other top drawer bike companies are consumer direct?

Independent Fabrications

What do I win for the correct answer?

tuscanyswe
10-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Independent Fabrications

What do I win for the correct answer?

Last i tried to order an IF i couldent unless i did so via a dealer when bought within the usa. If shipped to europe they could do direct tho but so does moots.

Dead Man
10-10-2014, 06:10 PM
I think it's fabulous that Moots adamantly refuses to deal directly with the public. Their commitment to a carefully chosen dealer network is admirable in this internet era. I hope they never change. Compare their business model to dealer direct vendors where various promotions, discounts, liquidations etc., make it impossible to ever figure out used resale, or ongoing value . . . I say three cheers to Moots.

For maintaining exclusivity and an elitist attitude? How, exactly, does the consumer benefit?

bobswire
10-10-2014, 06:20 PM

That's fine for someone needing or wanting a bike built up for them but for those of us who do our own fit/build we would rather just buy direct. I may not be able to buy Moots direct by there is always Kent Erickson (original Moots founder). His business model I prefer, oh and he does work with LBS also.
http://kenteriksen.com/

http://i60.tinypic.com/2air479.jpg

Miles
10-10-2014, 06:57 PM

The market is the market. I think there are more than a few places to value a used moots on a daily basis. Most lbs's would be best focusing on service and small accessories for margin anyways.

CunegoFan
10-10-2014, 07:39 PM
For maintaining exclusivity and an elitist attitude? How, exactly, does the consumer benefit?

It keeps the resale value of my frame up. :)

oldpotatoe
10-11-2014, 06:28 AM

Hardly elitist attitude at Moots. They see the value of a strong dealer network so potential buyers can see, ride, talk, Moots. Moots sees that they sell more when they do it this way, in spite of lower margins(gotta split it with the shop).

And for the above who 'prefer to go direct', what's the difference of 'going direct' and walking into a Moots dealer, telling them what you want, getting the frame and walking out? A Moots from a shop needn't be a complete bike. I sold many frames, with and w/o forks, handed them to a person, shipped, ETC.

Some small builders, like Kent, prefer direct since they double their margin..great for small builders staying in biz. He builds about 1/10 of the frames Moots does per year. Nice frames, BTW...very Moots-esque.

bewheels
10-11-2014, 01:40 PM
How does it work if there are no dealers near you for Moots, Seven, etc?

I would think you would be going direct in that case.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2014, 01:53 PM

I would think you would be going direct in that case.

Find a dealer ya like, order, ship to you. Vecchio's just did this for a gent in Hawaii. Still thru a dealer tho.

For Moots. Don't know about others.

SteveV0983
10-11-2014, 02:39 PM

When I wanted to try one, the closest dealer was 150 miles away, so I called Moots. They asked where I lived and then told me to talk to a specific person at my LBS. Turns out that because my closest dealer was over 100 miles away, they allowed my LBS (who is not a Moots dealer) to basically broker the deal. My LBS was all for it, so they did the measurements, sent them to Moots, and then Moots sent a demo to my LBS which they let me keep for a week. Needless to say, I loved it and ordered through them, which turned out to be a win-win situation. I got the bike I wanted and was able to give the business to my favorite shop. If you are interested in trying one and don't have a local dealer, call Moots and see what they suggest. Worked out perfect for me - incredible customer service from start to finish.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2014, 03:00 PM
When I wanted to try one, the closest dealer was 150 miles away, so I called Moots. They asked where I lived and then told me to talk to a specific person at my LBS. Turns out that because my closest dealer was over 100 miles away, they allowed my LBS (who is not a Moots dealer) to basically broker the deal. My LBS was all for it, so they did the measurements, sent them to Moots, and then Moots sent a demo to my LBS which they let me keep for a week. Needless to say, I loved it and ordered through them, which turned out to be a win-win situation. I got the bike I wanted and was able to give the business to my favorite shop. If you are interested in trying one and don't have a local dealer, call Moots and see what they suggest. Worked out perfect for me - incredible customer service from start to finish.

There ya go....I like Moots too.

rnhood
10-11-2014, 03:24 PM
when i wanted to try one, the closest dealer was 150 miles away, so i called moots. They asked where i lived and then told me to talk to a specific person at my lbs. Turns out that because my closest dealer was over 100 miles away, they allowed my lbs (who is not a moots dealer) to basically broker the deal. My lbs was all for it, so they did the measurements, sent them to moots, and then moots sent a demo to my lbs which they let me keep for a week. Needless to say, i loved it and ordered through them, which turned out to be a win-win situation. I got the bike i wanted and was able to give the business to my favorite shop. If you are interested in trying one and don't have a local dealer, call moots and see what they suggest. Worked out perfect for me - incredible customer service from start to finish.

+1

I see no advantage in buying direct. Yet there are many advantages in buying through a dealer (preferably local if possible). Moots sets the benchmark for quality of construction and execution with Ti, imho. Never have I seen such a nicely constructed bike as a Moots. I am a carbon man and will continue to ride carbon as it suits me very well in comfort and performance but, if and when I decide on a metal bike it will very likely be a Moots. And one may not be too far off in the future.

pdmtong
10-11-2014, 04:20 PM
+1

I see no advantage in buying direct. Yet there are many advantages in buying through a dealer (preferably local if possible). Moots sets the benchmark for quality of construction and execution with Ti, imho. Never have I seen such a nicely constructed bike as a Moots. I am a carbon man and will continue to ride carbon as it suits me very well in comfort and performance but, if and when I decide on a metal bike it will very likely be a Moots. And one may not be too far off in the future.

I sold my Parlee Z3c to fund my Moots CR

The Moots is weight neutral with the Parlee and incrementally smoother since metal. It doesnt snap like carbon does when I stand to go, but its no slouch.

I will return to carbon once I can fund a 14# Di2 build. Probably Sarto.

RobJ
10-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Hardly elitist attitude at Moots. They see the value of a strong dealer network so potential buyers can see, ride, talk, Moots. Moots sees that they sell more when they do it this way, in spite of lower margins(gotta split it with the shop).

And for the above who 'prefer to go direct', what's the difference of 'going direct' and walking into a Moots dealer, telling them what you want, getting the frame and walking out? A Moots from a shop needn't be a complete bike. I sold many frames, with and w/o forks, handed them to a person, shipped, ETC.

Some small builders, like Kent, prefer direct since they double their margin..great for small builders staying in biz. He builds about 1/10 of the frames Moots does per year. Nice frames, BTW...very Moots-esque.

+1

Hardly consider it elitist too. With the direct model there is a huge support cost that the frame builder must incur. People to answer the phones, be educated enough on the product to answer questions, e-commerce infrastructure to process orders, more robust delivery network and having to directly handle warranty and support issues. Dealing with retail shops only offloads this burden on the LBS, that theoretically has been assuming this role for years. Plus everyone is always advocating supporting the LBS so this just further supports that.

Let's face it - calling Moots elitist when their frames are much the same cost as others that that utilize the direct to consumer model isn't a very strong argument. At this price we are all riding/buying frames that are way out of comprehension of the average bike riding person.

93legendti
10-11-2014, 08:12 PM
That's fine for someone needing or wanting a bike built up for them but for those of us who do our own fit/build we would rather just buy direct. I may not be able to buy Moots direct by there is always Kent Erickson (original Moots founder). His business model I prefer, oh and he does work with LBS also.
http://kenteriksen.com/

http://i60.tinypic.com/2air479.jpg

There's also Carl Strong. Iirc, Carl told me in 2004 when I bought a ti bike from him that he used to do overflow work for Moots.

xjoex
10-11-2014, 09:47 PM
I took a tour of of the Moots factory this summer. Really cool operation.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2014/06/moots-factory-tour.html
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RW7YyaoueJQ/U6uZStbcNII/AAAAAAAARc8/HwotUgFjyaY/s700/P6250167.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ef7dlS6_9SI/U6uZJ3Do07I/AAAAAAAARZ4/647celCqwN4/s700/P6250112.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BEl42yHSiUs/U6uZNG4-R5I/AAAAAAAARbM/XW29PczrvlY/s700/P6250127.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sw3a2ZqfwrQ/U6uZO2AcWwI/AAAAAAAARbs/yd-PLrHeiXU/s700/P6250142.jpg

More pics: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2014/06/moots-factory-tour.html

-Joe